Brighton 0-2 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Good match.

Gunn - Solid and saved what he should have saved. Distribution could be better at times but he gives the defence confidence.

Valery - He isn't doing much wrong or right in first 3 games. Against Liverpool he looked hesitant and I wondered whether Cedric might get the nod. Would like to see him pushing forward more, particularly when we play 5 at the back (which we didn't today).

Bednarek - Has picked up where he left off last season. Very stable. A good player and another good performance.

Vestergaard - Looks more solid this season. Great at blocking shots (with the exception of Mane's).

Danso - Looked out of position...which he was but he didn't make any big mistakes and covered well in what could have been a tough debut. Going down to 10 men helped him as it forced brighton to play more centrally.

Romeu - For me he is the weak link in our side. Yes he makes Big tackles but he is also likely to get booked every game and gets caught out of position often. Passing can also be suspect. If we had another CDM then having Romeu in the squad would be great, but we dont and that is a concern. Would like to see Danso play CDM.

Hojberg - Looked solid. Positive. Captains display and did well to talk to Bouffel abojut the free kick towards the end and convince him to let JWP take it (even if JWP quiffed it).

JWP - Looked ok. Delivery from corners was good...blah blah blah

REdmond - Best game so far this season. Very confident and attacked the back four really well.

Adams - Was marked tightly and didn't really get much of a chance. I'd rest him next game.

Ings - Very positive first half but faded a bit. A classy player though and has good pace and always looks likely to score.

Djenepo - Great positive introduction. He has big skills and big pace and will be a great player off the bench.

Bouffel - Similar to Djenepo. Great player off the bench and i think he probably deserves a start soon.

We are not a good side but a valuable 3 points to get the season up and running. Romeu and Hojberg (in particular) were garbage.....gave the centre of midfield away to Brighton even with 10 men.

Danso was excellent (played out of position) and JWP was excellent at RB. CBs a liability (as always) but I would have had Boufal and Djanepo on from HT.....they changed the game.

Adams was abysmal, real shocker.

If we come out of our shell and attack more we have a real threat in BOufal and Djanepo.

Way too slow in our play most of the time.

Spot on!

Great result that to kick start our season, we need to look at the bigger picture that there’s new players trying to get used to the pace of this league and a manager trying to work out the best system to play them in. If we can play crap and win then I can’t wait till things really click for us.

Some interesting selection choices admittedly - JWP playing RB when we had Cedric on the bench for example. Still think we need a proper leader on the pitch, particularly at the back,and I don’t look at Hojbjerg as captain material personally. Pretty clear that it’s going to take a few transfer windows to recover from the Les Reed era and establish ourselves as a solid mid table team.

We cannot defend. we were ponderous in midfield (supposedly I haven't watch it). Lets play Chris Nicholl football: with Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond etc and win/lose games 3-2 or 4-3. Especially against the mid to lower sides and bring the fun back into football.

Up and running!

Not the greatest display ever but PL away wins feel good. Andone must have started making his challenge in July - glad Valery not maimed. Excellent first goal, midfield a worry though, very one paced and one dimensional. Redmond did well capped by the second made by Boufal, but not Adams best game so far. Some harsh comments about him on here tonight though. Looked decent last week. Decent debut by Danso out of position.

The subs made a huge difference.

Played better last week and got nothing played pretty poorly this week 3pts.

Not sure the 4-2-2-2 we started the game playing helped us at all. Lot of players seemed off their game today Jwp, Hoj, Romeu, Vest, Ings, Che and even Redmond ( I'll give Danso a pass first game out of position) were all poor today.

Subs where good but I'm not sure Ralph thinks Boufal or Mousa are starters he seems to like workhorses rather than flair I think .

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Lot of players seemed off their game today Jwp, hoj, Romeu, Vest, Ings, Che and even Redmond ( I'll give Danso a pass first game out of position) were all poor today.

I thought JWP did ok. Redmond was a threat the whole game, more so than Ings or Adams.

Lots of unnecessary negativity on here IMO, was Brighton’s own fault that they rightly went down to 10 men and thereafter we controlled the game !

You have to manage situations as they arise and I feel that we did that well !

Three points away from home is not shabby and we should be up for the Man U match next week !

COYS

Great result. Still a bit baffled by Yoshi absence and a manager who thought Stephens was the answer a few games ago. We need to build a solid defence and that comes from picking the same team. Hope we can build on this and pick the creativity that won here. And wasn't Danso supposed to be a CB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are not a good side but a valuable 3 points to get the season up and running. Romeu and Hojberg (in particular) were garbage.....gave the centre of midfield away to Brighton even with 10 men.

I was disappointed and frustrated with both of them - until it dawned on me that their primary remit today was clearly to protect the back four. Hojberg, in particular, wasn't pushing forward aggressively the way he usually does because Brighton's pressing in midfield kept their focus on that role. I think that's why Vestergaard looked better today - he was getting lots of help and not getting isolated in one-on-ones where his lack of pace and wide turning circle are a big problem.

It was hard to watch at times - you could time some of our 'break-outs' with a sundial. Although Danso played quite well, we really missed that Bertrand/Redmond tandem.

Still, it's coming together. Danso showed enough to look like a potential fit in central defence, Djenepo is a cameo handful but probably not a starter yet, and Boufal looks like he's benefitting from RH's coaching.

Didn't watch it (golf tournament) but managed to get the result going down the 13th despite suspect 3G

Managed to read through a few comments and seems a poor performance but great result....I'll take that!

Pleased for Boufal and Djenepo

Play anywhere nice?

Lots of unnecessary negativity on here IMO, was Brighton’s own fault that they rightly went down to 10 men and thereafter we controlled the game !

You have to manage situations as they arise and I feel that we did that well !

Three points away from home is not shabby and we should be up for the Man U match next week !

COYS

I think the whole point is we didn't control the game after Brighton went down to 10 men at all. In fact we struggled to contain them at times.

I'm a little frustrated that Ralph doesn't pick the obvious lineup from the off. If Boufal and Djenepo were playing from the start it would make the opposition think twice about attacking so hard and leaving their defence exposed. Perhaps this would also give our dodgy defence a bit more respite and allow them to organise a bit more instead on running about like rabbits in the headlights everytime the other side attacks.

We were terrible today and struggled to overcome a 10man Brighton side that would have comfortably beaten us if it were evens. Saved by a bit of magic.

Very worrying!

However, 3 points on the board, and hopefully success will breed confidence!

Brighton will be thinking how they didn't win that game in the first half! I think they would have with eleven as they played really well with ten! We didn't deserve the win but that's football & we had lady luck on our side for once, good to get some points on the board. Hopefully Ralph now knows we need to play at least one of djenpo or boufal regularly, must admit I didn't rate boufal at all but he was more direct today without the needless fancy tricks & looked a different player.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'd have feared for the rest of the season had we not won that, it was pretty much put on a plate for us with the red card and their disallowed goal.

We didn't play great though, Brighton showed much more ambition and imagination on the ball. Their movement was quicker and much much sharper than ours.

Ings is continuing to let games pass him by, Hoj was just terrible and setting an horrific standard for the rest. Bednerak looked iffy and clumsy, Vesterguard was Vesterguard (rubbish). Adams looked out of his depth today.

Thought Danso looked like a fish out of water most of the game, but at least he put in a shift. Looks like he has some pace, but he does like to try stupid turns on the ball in silly positions. Will need to stamp that out.

We won because the game became stretched and our introduction of pace opened it up, pretty much as simple as that. Play like that against teams with 11 men and we'd get beaten 9 times out of 10, we really weren't very good.

I think people are going to be disappointed if they think Boufal is going to be a starter on the back of his little cameo today.

Anyone who heard Redmond's after match interview with Blackmore on Solent will know why.

Do tell......

I was thinking about how one of the refreshing things about Hasenhuttl when he arrived is he seemed to make decisions that most fans had been eager for. But recently that has changed. Of course when you do that and win the fans are willing to trust your judgment but by the sounds of it the first half performance was not in any way a vindication of his team selection!

Tend to agree. The team selections have been very strange and in particular today.

I’m not sure about Ralph’s coaching ( Doesn’t seem to be anything but pressing the rest hasn’t been touched and needs to be!)

Ralph persists with players who are not performing and leaving Yoshida out today was baffling too...

Ralph needs to up his game, he flatters to deceive with his demeanour..... Time for him to show some management substance...

Thought we were shyte generally.

The red card made it an even game.

Awful in defence but got better the more subs Ralph made

Got redmond in my dream team :smug:

Surprised you arent eating humble pie after your pre-match assertions that we had no chance. It is ok to be wrong.

Nice Cameos from Boufal and Djenepo aside though, I thought we were dire. RH has to address the one-pacedness of his current starting line-up, otherwise we can look forward to the same turgid stuff every week, occasionally enlivened by subs if we're still in the game late on. Trossard was the outstanding player on the pitch, and didn't really deserve to be on the losing side.

Wanting players to run themselves into the ground every week is fine, but won't get you very far if their top speed is about half that of the players on the opposing side.

Do tell......

To paraphrase when asked about Boufal's impact today Redmond said Boufal is a talented player but its not enough for Ralph he wants players that will run themselves into the ground and work hard off the ball. Ralph has told Boufal to work on that part of his game just like Redmond had to.

My guess is if Boufal ends up adding Ralph's work ethic to his game he will get more starts but I imagine it will take time for Boufal to get there until then I imagine he will be a sub in the PL for now.

Boufal has talent... Has that ever been in doubt?

Just needs to work a little harder off the ball and for the team.

If Ralph can add that to his game he will be a match winner for us.

Wrong. Has always been very good at tracking back, he just needs to know when to release the ball.

Tend to agree. The team selections have been very strange and in particular today.

I’m not sure about Ralph’s coaching ( Doesn’t seem to be anything but pressing the rest hasn’t been touched and needs to be!)

Ralph persists with players who are not performing and leaving Yoshida out today was baffling too...

Ralph needs to up his game, he flatters to deceive with his demeanour..... Time for him to show some management substance...

You do know that we won 2-0 don’t you?

Boufal has talent... Has that ever been in doubt?

Just needs to work a little harder off the ball and for the team.

If Ralph can add that to his game he will be a match winner for us.

To paraphrase when asked about Boufal's impact today Redmond said Boufal is a talented player but its not enough for Ralph he wants players that will run themselves into the ground and work hard off the ball. Ralph has told Boufal to work on that part of his game just like Redmond had to.

My guess is if Boufal ends up adding Ralph's work ethic to his game he will get more starts but I imagine it will take time for Boufal to get there until then I imagine he will be a sub in the PL for now.

Wrong. Has always been very good at tracking back, he just needs to know when to release the ball.

Redmond and Ralph wrong too then ;)

Redmond and Ralph wrong too then ;)

To be fair - Ralph would have his players working harder off the ball than any manager since Poch. It is entirely possible for Boufal to work just as hard as anyone else under Puel, Pell, Hughes (I.e. the lazy tag is just made up, I wonder why..?) and for him to not work hard enough to start in a Ralph side. I imagine that the Pellegrino Redmond wouldn’t start for Ralph either for example.

on the match thread I read a couple of posters sying that Redmood nearly made a hash of his goal, it seemed pretty good to me.

That tackle was diabolical and we are fortunate that Valery is not seriously injured. As for the Brighton fans booing him!!!!