January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Weird how Jeremy Wilson regularly goes into detail about our club.

He could just be making it up out of thin air, don’t know though!

Of course he’s not. Jeremy Wilson is the favoured hack of the club and was the man at the end of the phone to Les so often for club articles. Sam Wallace writes occasionally but Jeremy Wilson is the main point of contact and club favourite.

I haven't said that bullsh1t is fed via journalists. I've said that some information is likely fed to journalists.

Everyone is avoiding the subject though - where have the club lied to its fans, or broken promises to them, about transfers? People keep saying that they do but nobody can point to a single link. Not one.

Here’s a couple as you are either completely blind or just blinkered to noticing when the club prevaricate and breaks promises. Only, SFC never make promises and they never ever make any comment in the press as they never leave a source name but they are happy to put articles out. Do you honestly think a credible *cough* (Murdoch) newspaper would actually print a mainstream PL football article from any less than credible resource outside the club after a Premier League record away defeat?

Here’s a handful of links to stop you bemoaning or using the excuse that the club don’t talk to the press (or lie) Put it down to unsubstantiated press or agent rumour. Clubs don’t play the game apparently. If we all did that, we would never have anything to talk about and the sport would be squeaky clean.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15472177.saints-chinese-takeover-completed/

Upon Gao’s takeover:

Mr Jisheng Gao said:

"Together, we have the passion and motivation to build on Southampton’s excellent progress in recent years as we look forward to an exciting next chapter for the club."

How’s that building going Gao?

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/southampton/transfer-talk/news/saints-to-return-for-promes-in-summer_317684.html

Quincy Promes saga:

Southampton are reportedly "hopeful" of securing a deal for Spartak Moscow forward Quincy Promes this summer after failing to acquire his services in January.

The 26-year-old was the top transfer target for the Saints in the winter transfer window but they failed with a final offer of £25m for the player as the deadline approached.

The newspaper says that the south coast club are happy to remain 'patient' and "they're not rushing to sign an alternative because they believe the 26-year-old is the right player for them".

The reality :

Saints were so keen in the pursuit of this player, we went back in the summer after the initial 25 million bid was refused, with an even greater offer?! Really? Even more bizarre that Spartak Moscow refused the deal and wrote off an extra 7 million by accepting a lower bid when Promes signed to Sevilla for 18 million in the summer. I appreciate value can fall late in contracts but I don’t believe this is the point here. I get the inflated fees in the PL but I sense someone is not quite telling the truth in this scenario. Rumours I heard, the subtext, instinct, the actions alone. It stinks. No-one is under any illusion transfers are difficult and extremely problematic with parasitic representatives and agents & club clauses, etc. Everyone wants a piece of the pie & contracts often include a number of obstacles but think laterally. Don’t swallow the club narrative and ignore their stupid punch lines. Just bring a little integrity and honesty back and treat fans with respect.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3618189/sevilla-announce-signing-of-quincy-promes-from-spartak-moscow

Upon sacking Les Reed and the time to replace him:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/08/southampton-sack-les-reed-pressure-mark-hughes

The club said it was time to “take constructive action and provide new drive and direction to our football operations team”, promising to “search for the right replacement” for Reed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6367005/Southampton-sack-vice-chairman-Les-Reed-promise-thorough-review-football-operations.html

Southampton sack vice-chairman Les Reed and promise a 'thorough review' into their football operations after poor Premier League start. Seems they didn’t share or do that. If they did, what the hell went wrong? 3 relegation battles in a row suggest they haven’t learnt and only offer words as weak platitudes.

In response to the post Leicester Telegraph article. We at least got the DOF but I can’t help but think that was done for the wrong reasons - to pacify the fans - who they monitor and most were ready to revolt. Why can’t they improve the club for the ambitious, betterment of the club and sporting success? In a dire situation, the club now tends to put in a plethora of promises and false platitudes, proverbial carrots dangled and, in this case, multiple carrots but at least one FINALLY came through although when in January is our DOF starting? The need is urgent.

Those saying that the club making promises and breaking them will just alienate the fans are simply myopic, deliberately obtuse, stupid or shortsighted because the club have systematically operated in this manner for over 3-4 years, getting worse by the year. They seldom seem to have the inclination or will to share the more substantial and interesting news, as the OS once did. Considering the current regime have numerous PR companies, sponsorship and tech savvy Chinese IT firms attached (and mainly marketing people rather than useful, sporting expertise), I find it completely negligent, bewildering and distasteful we get so little fan friendly & socially based dialogue from what should be a community based football club. Just form an honest and transparent dialogue and communicate about the club for the fans. That and a couple of shrewd signings which was promised in Nov but the quantity of signings goes down by the week. We are accustomed to the goalposts being moved from the initial, BIG lie to to a smaller, more palatable lie.

“A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break”.

Assurance no. 1. How did that go? We have Matt Crocker as DOF. As far as I am aware, he has nothing to do with being a senior recruitment figure as touted by the club. Possibly intimated by Jordan Sibley.

Also, “The new director of football has been identified and will be expected to work with the scouting network in finding a profile of quick, high-energy players that suit the Hasenhuttl style. The partnership with Hasenhuttl is expected to be along the lines of that between Graham Potter and his technical director at Brighton and Hove Albion, Dan Ashworth, formerly of the Football Association”. Steve Walsh was mentioned and it’s gone deathly quiet so was it another red herring or did we mess this up and just not succeed in having the prospect accept the contract of employment?! It could equally have been messed up by the demands of the player trading expert.

Assurance no. 2. How is this going as this was apparently established with Ralph and Matt and this mysterious recruitment figure yet we have heard nothing? I’m not saying it hasn’t happened but generally when the club do something (anything) positive, they tend to shout it from the rooftops and make non-attributed interview across at least three or four media outlets and about 3 or 4 iterations in The Echo.

“Currently in 18th place, in January they will address the most pressing problems that they have at full-back and centre-back. There is an acceptance that the club do not have the right profile of player in every position to suit Hasenhuttl's pressing-style game.”

Assurance no. 3. As per usual, the PR Machine launched the juicy sound bite, then downplayed it by the week with the usual expectation lowering system they use. £50? you didn’t give me £40. I can’t lend you £30 but if you really need £20 I can help you but I’ve only got £10? that’s the mentality we deal with. 2 months months later, it’s much less assertive but I do personally believe we will at least get a full back but the mood is wildly different from the original assurances. Total game playing.

I just hope we don’t have the weekly member of the playing (or coaching) staff reading a contradictory, Surkov style script in the Echo later this week when they monitor further fan discord in the aether of social media. Fans have had enough of this ridiculous charade.

I had hoped part of the “major restructure in the last 12 months” was replacing 100% of the key staff we lost. We have Crocker who is still not in place. I don’t count pushing untrained, inadequately qualified staff (in situ) as a suitable replacement. You get what you pay for.

I hope those links and articles share a little more light.

On a more positive note, aside from all the prevaricating & misinformation from our carrot dangling club, I do believe we will bring in a defender. I think Ralph is at the point where he may not stay if they break any further promises to him for another season and I’m fairly certain he’s had a lot promised from the outset. That is the subtext I read and impression I have had and I believe it’s why Danny Röhl left.

I believe Gao & his representatives have formed some working system with the club and perhaps a better understanding. They cannot sleepwalk through another transfer window. January may see a different understanding between our owners but, crucially, it needs to see a couple of defenders. Protect your investment Gao.

#GalvaniseOurDefence

Forgot to add the links I found from Les re: VVD and not selling and not selling multiple players again (they then completed the same fire sale) next season and also the broken promise to Lemina & Morgan when it was revealed they could move on to other clubs and it seems we were bringing players in to offer our club as a stepping stone which is ludicrous really but enough club criticism. I just couldn’t tolerate any more lies and deceit. You get the gist. Heard the stepping stone transfer rumour but never wanted to accept or believe it but seems what Lemina said did tie in with other rumours. Terrible system in which to run your club but let’s forget all that now and hopefully bring in some new players. I just want the club to be honest. Hard enough to tolerate this behaviour in politics

Here’s a couple as you are either completely blind or just blinkered to noticing when the club prevaricate and breaks promises. Only, SFC never make promises and they never ever make any comment in the press as they never leave a source name but they are happy to put articles out. Do you honestly think a credible *cough* (Murdoch) newspaper would actually print a mainstream PL football article from any less than credible resource outside the club after a Premier League record away defeat?

Here’s a handful of links to stop you bemoaning or using the excuse that the club don’t talk to the press (or lie) Put it down to unsubstantiated press or agent rumour. Clubs don’t play the game apparently. If we all did that, we would never have anything to talk about and the sport would be squeaky clean.

Upon Gao’s takeover:

Mr Jisheng Gao said:

"Together, we have the passion and motivation to build on Southampton’s excellent progress in recent years as we look forward to an exciting next chapter for the club."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/southampton/transfer-talk/news/saints-to-return-for-promes-in-summer_317684.html

Quincy Promes saga:

Southampton are reportedly "hopeful" of securing a deal for Spartak Moscow forward Quincy Promes this summer after failing to acquire his services in January.

The 26-year-old was the top transfer target for the Saints in the winter transfer window but they failed with a final offer of £25m for the player as the deadline approached.

The newspaper says that the south coast club are happy to remain 'patient' and "they're not rushing to sign an alternative because they believe the 26-year-old is the right player for them".

The reality :

Saints were so keen in the pursuit of this player, we went back in the summer after the initial 25 million bid was refused, with an even greater offer?! Really? Even more bizarre that Spartak Moscow refused the deal and wrote off an extra 7 million by accepting a lower bid when Promes signed to Sevilla for 18 million in the summer. I appreciate value can fall late in contracts but I don’t believe this is the point here. I get the inflated fees in the PL but I sense someone is not quite telling the truth in this scenario. Rumours I heard, the subtext, instinct, the actions alone. It stinks. No-one is under any illusion transfers are difficult and extremely problematic with parasitic representatives and agents & club clauses, etc. Everyone wants a piece of the pie & contracts often include a number of obstacles but think laterally. Don’t swallow the club narrative and ignore their stupid punch lines. Just bring a little integrity and honesty back and treat fans with respect.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3618189/sevilla-announce-signing-of-quincy-promes-from-spartak-moscow

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/08/southampton-sack-les-reed-pressure-mark-hughes

The club said it was time to “take constructive action and provide new drive and direction to our football operations team”, promising to “search for the right replacement” for Reed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6367005/Southampton-sack-vice-chairman-Les-Reed-promise-thorough-review-football-operations.html

Southampton sack vice-chairman Les Reed and promise a 'thorough review' into their football operations after poor Premier League start. Seems they didn’t share or do that. If they did, what the hell went wrong? 3 relegation battles in a row suggest they haven’t learnt and only offer words as weak platitudes.

In response to the post Leicester Telegraph article. We at least got the DOF but I can’t help but think that was done for the wrong reasons - to pacify the fans - who they monitor and most were ready to revolt. Why can’t they improve the club for the ambitious, betterment of the club and sporting success? In a dire situation, the club now tends to put in a plethora of promises and false platitudes, proverbial carrots dangled and, in this case, multiple carrots but at least one FINALLY came through although when in January is our DOF starting? The need is urgent.

Those saying that the club making promises and breaking them will just alienate the fans are simply myopic, deliberately obtuse, stupid or shortsighted because the club have systematically operated in this manner for over 3-4 years, getting worse by the year. They seldom seem to have the inclination or will to share the more substantial and interesting news, as the OS once did. Considering the current regime have numerous PR companies, sponsorship and tech savvy Chinese IT firms attached (and mainly marketing people rather than useful, sporting expertise), I find it completely negligent, bewildering and distasteful we get so little fan friendly & socially based dialogue from what should be a community based football club. Just form an honest and transparent dialogue and communicate about the club for the fans. That and a couple of shrewd signings which was promised in Nov but the quantity of signings goes down by the week. We are accustomed to the goalposts being moved from the initial, BIG lie to to a smaller, more palatable lie.

“A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break”.

Assurance no. 1. How did that go? We have Matt Crocker as DOF. As far as I am aware, he has nothing to do with being a senior recruitment figure as touted by the club. Possibly intimated by Jordan Sibley.

Also, “The new director of football has been identified and will be expected to work with the scouting network in finding a profile of quick, high-energy players that suit the Hasenhuttl style. The partnership with Hasenhuttl is expected to be along the lines of that between Graham Potter and his technical director at Brighton and Hove Albion, Dan Ashworth, formerly of the Football Association”. Steve Walsh was mentioned and it’s gone deathly quiet so was it another red herring or did we mess this up and just not succeed in having the prospect accept the contract of employment?! It could equally have been messed up by the demands of the player trading expert.

Assurance no. 2. How is this going as this was apparently established with Ralph and Matt and this mysterious recruitment figure yet we have heard nothing? I’m not saying it hasn’t happened but generally when the club do something (anything) positive, they tend to shout it from the rooftops and make non-attributed interview across at least three or four media outlets and about 3 or 4 iterations in The Echo.

“Currently in 18th place, in January they will address the most pressing problems that they have at full-back and centre-back. There is an acceptance that the club do not have the right profile of player in every position to suit Hasenhuttl's pressing-style game.”

Assurance no. 3. As per usual, the PR Machine launched the juicy sound bite, then downplayed it by the week with the usual expectation lowering system they use. £50? you didn’t give me £40. I can’t lend you £30 but if you really need £20 I can help you but I’ve only got £10? that’s the mentality we deal with. 2 months months later, it’s much less assertive but I do personally believe we will at least get a full back but the mood is wildly different from the original assurances. Total game playing.

I just hope we don’t have the weekly member of the playing (or coaching) staff reading a contradictory, Surkov style script in the Echo later this week when they monitor further fan discord in the aether of social media. Fans have had enough of this ridiculous charade.

I had hoped part of the “major restructure in the last 12 months” was replacing 100% of the key staff we lost. We have Crocker who is still not in place. I don’t count pushing untrained, inadequately qualified staff (in situ) as a suitable replacement. You get what you pay for.

On a more positive note, aside from all the prevaricating & misinformation from our carrot dangling club, I do believe we will bring in a defender. I think Ralph is at the point where he may not stay if they break any further promises to him for another season and I’m fairly certain he’s had a lot promised from the outset. That is the subtext I read and impression I have had and I believe it’s why Danny Röhl left.

I believe Gao & his representatives have formed some working system with the club and perhaps a better understanding. They cannot sleepwalk through another transfer window. January may see a different understanding between our owners but, crucially, it needs to see a couple of defenders. Protect your investment Gao.

#GalvaniseOurDefence

Gordon

Gordon... none of your examples are 'promises'

Jeez! The post and links I took the time to post were examples of the club talking pish and examples of going back on their word or simply. The club isn't a 10 year old child. They're not going to make a boy scout salute and say "I promise to sign this player". Get a sense of perspective.

I couldn't find the post Leicester Telegraph link but that was the main article which made all these assurances, promises is a choice of phrases. Assurances would be a better term. Pedantry aside. I'm sure you can get the gist, even if some appear not to for the sake of being enigmatic or a shorter adjective.

Gordon

Gordon, the discussion finished last night. I haven't had time to read your post (perhaps be more succinct) and I don't think that you've read mine, or understand my simple point namely my finding it hard to accept that the club have, or would benefit from, leaking false transfer rumours to the press, and that said rumours (which are perceived as promises it would seem) have been broken. If you read my posts you'll see that I accept that the club will use the press as part of its pr machine. My point relates solely to the broken / false transfer promises which I say have never been made. Sure Promes went to another club, but there was never a promise we'd sign him.

Anyway, back on track and onto less tedious observations, what is happening with Maehle or Pongracic? I thought or naively hoped we may have moved swiftly in this in this precarious season/window but wishful thinking.

The Le Harve rumour about the lower league Striker – Tino Kadewere - sounds like the cheap, untested and uninspiring gamble we always seem to take (if even true) and never seem to learn from. Maybe paper talk. He may be decent but I would much rather someone like Bowen. Saying that, I was keen on Adams and I am very torn about whether he needs time (he does but we can't afford the luxury of giving him time this season) or whether he is a little lacking from what I expected.

Defence is clearly the issue. 2 choice defenders would galvanise the squad. Maehle does sound decent but we never really know how they’ll adapt to the pace and physicality of the PL. Elyounoussi sounded good. Osvaldo looked and sounded decent but turned out to go full Michael Douglas on Jose Fonte. Jordie Clasie I was a big fan of prior to his signing and he was a flop (what do I know?!) and I was a big advocate of Gabbiadini who I still feel was woefully mismanaged.

My point is, we need to recruit better or - if we take cheaper gambles which clubs of our ilk clearly will have to do more than the big clubs – we need to coach them harder and support them more to squeeze the absolute max out of them. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with our coaching in key areas (transition of youth to first team, goalkeeping coaching and other elements but hats off to whoever coached and sorted out our defence in the last month, outstanding work) since many players do not seem to be getting the moral support or progressing/adapting quick enough (forget how much they earn) yet many seem to move elsewhere and instantly seem to do well (Forster, Gazzaniga, Elynoussi, etc.) It may often be they are in less quality or less physical leagues (Scotland) or Spain or France which may suit their style more and afford them more space and time on the ball but I don’t think this is always the case. Just an observation.

Please bring in quality cover (or even an upgrade) for Bertrand and, ideally, Soares and Valery as our RB position has no defender capable of tracking and marking and all the quality attacking teams know this since it has been an issue for 3 seasons and they must focus on it. Leicester totally did. I will be very interesting to see who starts Saturday and how they set the team up.

Definition of insanity , one who keeps doing the same things expecting different outcomes. Example, Toussaint repeatedly returning to this thread expecting to read some transfer news.

I find it bizarre that some people keep banging on about how terrible it is that people are discussing things that aren't news on here. A forum is for discussion, there has been a very interesting discussion going on about how the club handle the press during transfer windows. If you just want news there are plenty of news sites you can look at, newsnow is the main one. Also there isn't any news.

Upon Gao’s takeover:

Mr Jisheng Gao said:

Quincy Promes saga:

The reality :

#GalvaniseOurDefence

The one that I find most concerning is the talk over a year ago of a full review of our internal structure after Les Reed went and talk of splitting his role. We changed the manager, results improved and nothing happened. No one came in, if there was a restructure it was to give Ross Wilson more power, it was only when Wilson left that we were forced into action, I don't think Crocker has started yet so we have no one in any senior position at the club with any clue about football. it kind of suggests that Goa Is happy just to stay in the league doing the minimum possible to do so.

I find it bizarre that some people keep banging on about how terrible it is that people are discussing things that aren't news on here. A forum is for discussion, there has been a very interesting discussion going on about how the club handle the press during transfer windows. If you just want news there are plenty of news sites you can look at, newsnow is the main one. Also there isn't any news.

I really don't mind what people discuss or bicker about. Yes I can look at those sites you mention, but would expect to find something of greater value here, being the transfer thread?

I really don't mind what people discuss or bicker about. Yes I can look at those sites you mention, but would expect to find something of greater value here, being the transfer thread?

Incorrect, it's a transfer window thread. Not a thread with people posting links to stories and everyone replying thanks. There isn't much news and it's a discussion about how the club conducts itself in the media in relation to transfers, so very relevant to a transfer window thread.

Gordon, the discussion finished last night. I haven't had time to read your post (perhaps be more succinct) and I don't think that you've read mine, or understand my simple point namely my finding it hard to accept that the club have, or would benefit from, leaking false transfer rumours to the press, and that said rumours (which are perceived as promises it would seem) have been broken. If you read my posts you'll see that I accept that the club will use the press as part of its pr machine. My point relates solely to the broken / false transfer promises which I say have never been made. Sure Promes went to another club, but there was never a promise we'd sign him.

Egg...listen up. Read Gordon's long post, and take it all in. It is succinct, and gives you plenty of examples of the Club taking us for mugs. Show a bit of a respect for a well thought out offering.

Incorrect, it's a transfer window thread. Not a thread with people posting links to stories and everyone replying thanks. There isn't much news and it's a discussion about how the club conducts itself in the media in relation to transfers, so very relevant to a transfer window thread.

Pretty much summed up by the fact that people would rather see nonsense links to players we aren’t going to sign, than to be told that these aren’t going to happen.

Egg...listen up. Read Gordon's long post, and take it all in. It is succinct, and gives you plenty of examples of the Club taking us for mugs. Show a bit of a respect for a well thought out offering.

Egg won't accept any arguments made unless he see's video footage of Krueger or Kat swearing 'promises' on oath. He's dismissed everything so far as it's either too long for him to read or the goalposts have moved and any 'misinformation' is only allowed to relate to transfers.

Edited by Greenridge

there has been a very interesting discussion going on about how the club handle the press during transfer windows..

That is subjective, what I read was tedious and just read as a lot of complaining about things people do not fully understand.

I did not see much that was 'interesting', I saw a lot of ignorance. This is a transfer thread, it's clearly supposed to be about discussing transfer rumours and potential incomings/outgoings, not the clubs PR record.

Coming the to the thread, seeing there are 4 new pages and then seeing it's people waffling on about meaningless crap is a waste of time, go put it in another thread IMO, all this crap about PR should be cleaned out of this thread because its off topic.

That is subjective, what I read was tedious and just read as a lot of complaining about things people do not fully understand.

I did not see much that was 'interesting', I saw a lot of ignorance. This is a transfer thread, it's clearly supposed to be about discussing transfer rumours and potential incomings/outgoings, not the clubs PR record.

Coming the to the thread, seeing there are 4 new pages and then seeing it's people waffling on about meaningless crap is a waste of time, go put it in another thread IMO, all this crap about PR should be cleaned out of this thread because its off topic.

This. Trying to say it's not off topic because it's vaguely transfer-window related is stretching things … clearly most people see this thread title and want rumours, news, whatever, not pages of tedious arguments. Want to argue about club PR? Start another thread.

Of course, it would help if one of the people arguing wasn't the a moderator meant to be keeping threads on topic ...

Egg won't accept any arguments made unless he see's video footage of Krueger or Kat swearing 'promises' on oath. He's dismissed everything so far as it's either too long for him to read or the goalposts have moved and any 'misinformation' is only allowed to relate to transfers.

My issue relates only to transfers, in a transfer window thread, not the clubs general pr policy. Nothing that has been written on this thread, or in any link posted, relates to the club directly or indirectly promising a transfer that hasn't been delivered. Sure, to use the words someone else has used, the club may have used the press to treat us mugs but I'm still waiting to be shown in the press or anywhere else where they've deceived us over transfers. The reason I haven't, is because they haven't.

The one that I find most concerning is the talk over a year ago of a full review of our internal structure after Les Reed went and talk of splitting his role. We changed the manager, results improved and nothing happened. No one came in, if there was a restructure it was to give Ross Wilson more power, it was only when Wilson left that we were forced into action, I don't think Crocker has started yet so we have no one in any senior position at the club with any clue about football. it kind of suggests that Goa Is happy just to stay in the league doing the minimum possible to do so.

Exactly and I avoided saying any more due to being perceived as cynical enough but a big gripe of mine (many I hold with Gao) is he sheds staff to free to the wages bill without any intention of replacing yet the PR agencies profess differently hence the links. It took a year to replace Reed. Ross Wilson is blurred as he is either DOF or RECRUITMENT. Now, we have neither until Crocker starts (again, nothing on date as to when. Mushrooms us fans, left in the dark) but we also claimed to be getting new coaches, player trading expert as well as defenders. Burac was even cited but this was likely too good to be true but what an addition and show of intention/ambition it would be.....which is exactly why I knew it would be more fan social engineering. It's ludicrous how the club PR machine now works and how deceitful and dishonest it has become. Just be honest and respectful to the fans. They show their devotion enough and we've not had much to celebrate. Of course Gao wants to do the minimum possible. Hence why I want him out and he's the worst type of owner. Begs the question, why did he even buy the club? What were his intentions unless it was merely the location of the port and waterside develop and casinos and cargo trade links with China, hence the state involvement but I am digressing.

Sign some good players please......ideally defenders!!!

Thank you. Hard to be succinct when I have to show multiple articles and explain why I linked them. Post Leicester defeat and Quincy Promes assurances to the fans were made to newspapers and emanated from SFC. They don't have to say "I promise" and no club ever will in an article during a transfer window but if you see a club saying so in the press throughout Jan, please link it. ;o)

Celtic keen on taking Wanyama on loan apparently. We should hijack that. Could do with his muscle in midfield

Wanyama is past it and injury prone. No thanks. Concentrate on new and promising talent. I'd like someone like Gbamin of Everton, Ndidi of Leicester or Denis Zakaria of Vestergaard's old club. Give em the lanky totem pole back and part swap him for Denis.

He's 28 and had a bad run of form and injuries.

So had Danny Ings. We don't get experience with players at the top of their game. Wanyama still has plenty of career ahead of him he just needs a move.

Wanyama can't be finished at 28. He's had niggly injuries but nothing Ings esque. I suspect he's short of match fitness and confidence, but I'd have him as another option in midfield if he's available.

It isn't off topic, read it properly, it's talking about past transfer windows and how the club have linked lots of names but then failed to sign any of them.

So what's your view of the past 3-4 January transfer windows? Because it seems a lot of people are, rightly, looking at our historical performance over a period of several years to base what 2020's performance is likely to be.

This. Trying to say it's not off topic because it's vaguely transfer-window related is stretching things … clearly most people see this thread title and want rumours, news, whatever, not pages of tedious arguments. Want to argue about club PR? Start another thread.

Of course, it would help if one of the people arguing wasn't the a moderator meant to be keeping threads on topic ...

Maybe the moderator also understands that discussion the clubs previous performance during transfer windows is very relevant to transfer window threads. Just because you and a few don't like it and want lots of copy and pastes from twitter such as

@luigidelrosso I understand Southampton have enquired about koulibaly

and everyone beating themselves off about it being a real statement of intent/not true/unlikely it doesn't make any of what has been said irrelevant.

How much is Wanyama on at Spuds? If he could recapture the form he had for us before he moved then he'd be worth it.

I know he's had lots of injuries but has he played at all for the stiffs? I'm sure if we're at all interested there will be people in-the-know wrt his fitness. He certainly doesn't fit the recent Southampton 'model' of signings but maybe that's out of the window anyway now.

I know he's had lots of injuries but has he played at all for the stiffs? I'm sure if we're at all interested there will be people in-the-know wrt his fitness. He certainly doesn't fit the recent Southampton 'model' of signings but maybe that's out of the window anyway now.

what, being f-ing terrible? I think he would fit right in...

I think there is a fans forum tonight with Semmens and Hasenhuttl so hopefully there will be something of an update in that - will be interesting if there is a shift from RH's certainty that we will be active.

Should also find out when Crocker starts...assuming those attending ask intelligent questions...

I loved Wanyama when he was on his game for us, him and Morgan in our midfield were a superb partnership.

However, the way our midfield now play under Ralph is different to the Koeman era - it's all about legs and stamina. Can't see Wanyama bringing that to us, especially if it's true about his knees.

I think there is a fans forum tonight with Semmens and Hasenhuttl so hopefully there will be something of an update in that - will be interesting if there is a shift from RH's certainty that we will be active.

Should also find out when Crocker starts...assuming those attending ask intelligent questions...

Surely it'll be more about when we can have Carling on tap, why are pies are so hot, and the LGBT representative will ask when we are going to introduce gender fluid training tops.

Wanyama was one of our very best players since promotion but he'd be an expensive way to upset the decent midfield we've got going with Hojbjerg and JWP.

Really not sure they can play at the same intensity for the rest of the season without a rest or decent back up

Lookman is being heavily linked with Newcastle - loan with option to buy. I’d be surprised if we’re not interested in having a “look” at this “man” (I’ll get me coat...) given his history with hassenhuttl.

Appreciate it’s not a priority position for us but a loan at this point is relatively small beans (assuming we have any beans that is!!j

Definition of insanity , one who keeps doing the same things expecting different outcomes. Example, Toussaint repeatedly returning to this thread expecting to read some transfer news.

Definition of insanity is going through a 5th (or more?) Gao transfer window and actually expecting a transfer in general!! Do you not look at history and learn from it? This football club is powered by optimism and delusion. I prefer them to our current shirt sponsors