January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Other than he's crap

Based on what? If you’d seen him play regularly in the team at CB and he struggled then fine. He’s had a handful of games playing out of position. He’s also young and relatively inexperienced, so chucking him in at RB against the likes of Man U is never going to be easy. If we sign him as a fourth choice CB with a view to developing him for a few million, that would suggest the coaching staff have seen something in him. Fine by me. He’s young, powerful, fast, hopefully one for the future.

Based on what? If you’d seen him play regularly in the team at CB and he struggled then fine. He’s had a handful of games playing out of position. He’s also young and relatively inexperienced, so chucking him in at RB against the likes of Man U is never going to be easy. If we sign him as a fourth choice CB with a view to developing him for a few million, that would suggest the coaching staff have seen something in him. Fine by me. He’s young, powerful, fast, hopefully one for the future.

There have been numerous games where Ralph could have tried him out there but he hasn’t

We should be signing players to improve the squad not signing average ones that may or might no improve.

I would be inclined to sign him if he had shown potential but I haven’t seen any.

Normally you judge a player over a lengthy period of time but he is on loan so just find an upgraded version.

The potential to secure, long term, the services of someone who next season might, might be our fourth choice centre back. Be still my beating heart.

How about we try and sign a centre back good enough that he pushes Jack Stephens into the fourth choice spot. That's how we will actually improve.

Surely he will only improve if he plays in the PL

There have been numerous games where Ralph could have tried him out there but he hasn’t

We should be signing players to improve the squad not signing average ones that may or might no improve.

I would be inclined to sign him if he had shown potential but I haven’t seen any.

Normally you judge a player over a lengthy period of time but he is on loan so just find an upgraded version.

My main point was the previous lazy “crap” comment was unjustified.

Obviously agree we need to sign players to improve us. Ideally we’ll find a quality CB, and be willing to spend some decent money to get him. Then we’d have Stephens and Bednarek plus one more as fourth choice. If both Verstergard and Yoshie are off, and if Ralf has seen potential in Danso, all good as far as I’m concerned. If not and we let him go, also fine.

My main point was the previous lazy “crap” comment was unjustified.

Obviously agree we need to sign players to improve us. Ideally we’ll find a quality CB, and be willing to spend some decent money to get him. Then we’d have Stephens and Bednarek plus one more as fourth choice. If both Verstergard and Yoshie are off, and if Ralf has seen potential in Danso, all good as far as I’m concerned. If not and we let him go, also fine.

How is that lazy? It seems to be trend on here to criticise other posters views - and that is what it is a view - this is a forum where you post your view, and it's not the gospel truth. Who died and made you the king of anything? As far as I am concerned (and seemingly Ralph and all at the club) Danso has not been up to the mark - it happens - get over it. Or are you saying we should be giving Carillo, Wes et al more chances to prove themselves. This is exactly the malaise that has led us to our current predicament. Mistakes happen, but learn from them and move on quickly.

Rather than criticize, why don't you offer an honest opinion on what to do with Danso and improve our current squad with the current restrictions - guessing you have no clue.

Hi there. Going to post small bits about what I've heard. For reasons I'm sure people understand some information is sensitive:

January.

Relevant club staff have been told to work until late on transfer deadline day. Suggests that at the very least we will be working to bring someone in.

The club.

Agreement seems to be that the club structure went to pot after we qualified for Europe. Apparently following this we brought in a load of extra staff in departments. The people I spoke to think we are overstaffed in certain areas to do with the club, with loads of staff doing jobs that are different from their job description. The board itself is apparently decent but the department heads are pretty rubbish and are largely the reason that things have gone backwards. Almost all decisions have to be run past the board for approval which means we have had a high turnover of backroom staff as many want to stay but small things like little pay rises or contract changes can take ages to be approved and staff get fed up and find alternative employment.

We had a solid system for recruiting players and under krueger and Wilson things changed. Ross and krueger were largely responsible for the transfer debacle of the last couple of years. The club are aware that Les carried the can for a load of the decisions but apparently he was blamed for a load of stuff that wasn't his fault. Wilson was largely to blame. The carillo transfer in particular, loads of scouts said he wasn't worth the cash but Ross was adament that he would do well.

Ralph.

Decided to come to the club and use us largely as a stepping stone. Came in and promised to stay and get us up the table but then wants to leave and move on. Unlikely to stay for too long if we have some success.[/b][/b]

Lost rohl once he knew bayern wanted him. Big loss because he was the link between Ralph and the players. Even now Ralph is slightly isolated. Ralph really doesn't trust many of the hangers on like coles and kelvin. If you notice he rarely interacts with them and doesn't do much conferring on match days other than with the bald guy (can't remember his name.)

You are wrong about Les Reed. He was the main instigator in signing Carillo and Ross Wilson was instructed by RK and LR to get him signed. This was done to offer support to the manager.

Danny Röhl left for reasons that had nothing to do with Bayern Munich. Danny Röhl was offered and accepted a position with Bayern 7 weeks after leaving Southampton FC.

Ralph is at Southampton FC for the long term and together with the management and Matt Crocker, the intention is to build a viable and sustainable club which will be highly competitive in the Premier League. Ralph is not at all isolated. He has the support of the owners, management, backroom staff and the players and he is held in very high regard.

Anyone can see that the club struggled after RK left so there is absolutely nothing revealing in stating that.

You are wrong about Les Reed. He was the main instigator in signing Carillo and Ross Wilson was instructed by RK and LR to get him signed. This was done to offer support to the manager.

Danny Röhl left for reasons that had nothing to do with Bayern Munich. Danny Röhl was offered and accepted a position with Bayern 7 weeks after leaving Southampton FC.

Ralph is at Southampton FC for the long term and together with the management and Matt Crocker, the intention is to build a viable and sustainable club which will be highly competitive in the Premier League. Ralph is not at all isolated. He has the support of the owners, management, backroom staff and the players and he is held in very high regard.

Anyone can see that the club struggled after RK left so there is absolutely nothing revealing in stating that.

be stunned if he is our manager next season, let alone 'long term'

How is that lazy? It seems to be trend on here to criticise other posters views - and that is what it is a view - this is a forum where you post your view, and it's not the gospel truth. Who died and made you the king of anything? As far as I am concerned (and seemingly Ralph and all at the club) Danso has not been up to the mark - it happens - get over it. Or are you saying we should be giving Carillo, Wes et al more chances to prove themselves. This is exactly the malaise that has led us to our current predicament. Mistakes happen, but learn from them and move on quickly.

Rather than criticize, why don't you offer an honest opinion on what to do with Danso and improve our current squad with the current restrictions - guessing you have no clue.

I don’t know what to do with Danso as he’s not been given a run of games in his position of CB. That’s why I think it’s harsh to say he’s crap. If Ralph decides he doesn’t want him, fair enough. We signed him because he has potential, if he can be developed into a quality CB I’d be happy with that. I’ve said above what will happen ideally with our CB situation. I don’t think anyone has died.

I'm not sure what to make of you. You post some truths, some stuff that sounds plausible, and re Adams info which is wrong.

Do you have a source or are you briefed?

Yeah but loans come back and are still our problem, and will undoubtedly be loss making. We can't keep bringing players in without getting some kind of fee for those under contract but of no use to us. The mess is the decision to sign so much rubbish, but the fact is that we have, so the club has to be realistic and commercial. That's gotta mean a bit of loaning out and loaning in until deadwood is either out of contract or sold. It's far from ideal but it's where we are sadly.

but Cedric will have gone by the time the loans come back?

or cant we sign a RB until Cedric Long have gone and others have been sold?

but Cedric will have gone by the time the loans come back?

or cant we sign a RB until Cedric Long have gone and others have been sold?

We need a RB to replace Cedric, but if our best option this window is KWP I'd rather we didn't bother. Would you rather sign him, or bide our time and get someone better in the window but perhaps cover with a loan in the interim? It's the latter for me.

Re the principle of perm signings now whilst we have a bloated squad, I'd rather clear dead wood first before committing to purchases. It's the obvious thing to do, and personally, I'm glad the club seem intent in doing it that way.

Other than he's crap

He was crap yesterday. Properly crap. But he was a CB playing at RB. If you look at his numerous **** ups they were basically due to him drifting into his natural position of CB and leaving (massive) gaps at RB. You could argue that as a professional footballer he should have the nouse not to do that, but you might also argue that if he was playing in his accustomed position he wouldn't be responsible for such an inept sh!tshow.

Edited by stknowle

I'm not sure what to make of you. You post some truths, some stuff that sounds plausible, and re Adams info which is wrong.

In what way was my post regarding Che Adams incorrect? I believe he is still very much a Southampton FC player.

The story surrounding Che Adams started when an article in the Yorkshire Evening Post claimed Leeds offered the Saints a loan fee with an obligation to sign him for £20m in the summer if Leeds managed to get promotion to the Premier League. It was then picked up by the trash press such as Hitc and Read Southampton. Both these so called 'football news' websites exist on repeating and embellishing rumours because it generates advertising income.

The point is that Leeds can offer whatever they want to but if Saints do not want to sell and the player does not want to move then all the huff and puff in the world is not going to change that situation. All it could possibly achieve is to unsettle the player in question, which is likely to be the whole point of printing the story.

There is truth that Saints are talking to Tottenham regarding Kyle Walker-Peters.

I have not been briefed by the club at all.

I don’t know what to do with Danso as he’s not been given a run of games in his position of CB. That’s why I think it’s harsh to say he’s crap. If Ralph decides he doesn’t want him, fair enough. We signed him because he has potential, if he can be developed into a quality CB I’d be happy with that. I’ve said above what will happen ideally with our CB situation. I don’t think anyone has died.

Ok fair enough. Maybe my response was a bit harsh, but I don't think Danso is for us long term - agree he hasn't been given a chance in his normal position though.

Would have loved us to bite Leeds hand off to take Adams of our hands and we go for Augustin. Instead Leeds get Augustin and we are stuck with Adams
To be honest, it may be a grass is always greener thing, Augustin did not have a good time in France in a league many average Premier league players have thrived in and his value has dropped through the floor since we were interested so maybe he was a bit overrated when we were looking at him. He also has 0 goals and 0 assists this season in a much easier league and is struggling to get in to a team languishing down in 13th.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Edited by TWar

To be honest, it may be a grass is always greener thing, Augustin did not have a good time in France in a league many average Premier league players have thrived in and his value has dropped through the floor since we were interested so maybe he was a bit overrated when we were looking at him. He also has 0 goals and 0 assists this season in a much easier league and is struggling to get in to a team languishing down in 13th.

And to think Leipzig were rumoured to want £35m for him in the summer...

^ 1 assist in the league and scored 1 assisted 1 in the cup.

In the league he has only played 262 minutes so equivalent to 3 full games

Google betrayed me for the league, yes it seems like he did get one assist. And yeah, he hasn't played many games but is it not concerning he can't get games at a club who is 4 places lower than saints at a league that is much worse than the prem?

He did well in a cup game but that's it. I think there is a reason JKA is going to a championship side for 11m as a striker who is 22, he really can't be that great, especially since Leeds offered almost double thay for Che.

Google betrayed me for the league, yes it seems like he did get one assist. And yeah, he hasn't played many games but is it not concerning he can't get games at a club who is 4 places lower than saints at a league that is much worse than the prem?

He did well in a cup game but that's it. I think there is a reason JKA is going to a championship side for 11m as a striker who is 22, he really can't be that great, especially since Leeds offered almost double thay for Che.

Yes his reputation has dropped dramatically. Surprised Villa or WHU haven't taken a gamble as he definitely has talent.

Possibly just needs a run of games and some TLC

Rohl's role at Bayern was not a backward step. He joined in similar role to what he had at Saints and what Richard K joined as, but in a much bigger club. He also must have known the writing was on the wall for Kovac and now that Flick is in charge at least for the interim Rohl is his main assistant. Can't see why anyone would be surprised at him moving to one of the biggest clubs in the world which just happens to be in your home country. His wife apparently was not over keen on moving permanently to the UK. It was a major loss for Ralph, he thought he could get by without him but soon realised that he couldn't do it all and Kitzbichler was brought in and his influence has grown, either because he is very good, or probably more likely it has allowed Ralph to focus on what he does best, and the result is the resurgence in our form, back to, probably exceeding last season.

He didn’t. He went to Bayern as assistant analyst coach, not assistant manager which he was at saints. The job is at lest two levels down from the one he had here.

He didn’t. He went to Bayern as assistant analyst coach, not assistant manager which he was at saints. The job is at lest two levels down from the one he had here.

He's done the football equivalent of going from being an assistant manager in tescos to stacking shelves in waitrose. Posher shop, but worse job.

While I don't doubt he sees us as a stepping stone, maybe the way the club backed him 100% after that 0-9 has bought us a bit more time with him. Perhaps he'll see out his contract, or even agree to a one year extension (with a get out clause if a giant club comes after him).

He's done the football equivalent of going from being an assistant manager in tescos to stacking shelves in waitrose. Posher shop, but worse job.

Yep, that’s about the size of it. Not the sort of thing anyone would do by choice. I’m sure people will still deny it’s true though.

be stunned if he is our manager next season, let alone 'long term'
Why is that? Not saying you are right or wrong but you seem pretty sure
Knowing your track record on predictions (are we still "clearly going to get relegated" ? ) I think that I would prefer to believe Archangel rather than you.
He'll have replenished his supply of "glad to be wrong" and "told you so" cards by the summer... ;) #brokenclockphilosophy Edited by trousers

Why is that? Not saying you are right or wrong but you seem pretty sure

I said stunned. Not certain. He has recovered his rep more than hoped and our backing of him in the market has been pathetic since he has been here.

If a mildly ambitious club comes and knocks on the door......

If he is here this summer and half the squad leave. I bloody hope he is backed like Koeman was when he arrived.

I like the fact that Hypos source seems to think Dave Coles still works at the club. Think I'll take the rest with a pinch of salt.
I said coles not the people I spoke to. Its difficult to remember a load of details from a conversation over a few beers. Take it however you want. Edited by hypochondriac

While I don't doubt he sees us as a stepping stone, maybe the way the club backed him 100% after that 0-9 has bought us a bit more time with him. Perhaps he'll see out his contract, or even agree to a one year extension (with a get out clause if a giant club comes after him).
Hopefully. All I'm saying is that is how he came into the club initially. He did offer his resignation after the 9-0 but we turned it down.

Hopefully. All I'm saying is that is how he came into the club initially. He did offer his resignation after the 9-0 but we turned it down.
He looked resigned for a while before the game but after it seemed to regain some colour in his cheeks and some sparkle in his eyes, now he's back to his passionate self as we remember from when he first joined.

We should really offer him a new 3 year contract with whatever he demands. So much cheaper and more forward thinking than trying to save money and risk paying compensation for another 3 failed managers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping that Ralph was aware of the financial situation when he arrived and aware of the mess that Reed and Co had left us in. We all knew the clean up was going to take a few years.

With Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina, Moi, FF and possibly Boufal, Reed, Sims, Vesty and Adams sellable we could raise a few quid to allow Ralph 3-4 of his own additions

He looked resigned for a while before the game but after it seemed to regain some colour in his cheeks and some sparkle in his eyes, now he's back to his passionate self as we remember from when he first joined.

We should really offer him a new 3 year contract with whatever he demands. So much cheaper and more forward thinking than trying to save money and risk paying compensation for another 3 failed managers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yep. I think the club is in much safer hands now under the leadership of Martin selmayr. Seems to be an impressive individual who is aware of the mistakes of past regimes. Personally I think the 9-0 has had a galvanising effect not only on Ralph but on the club.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable long term plan to me. Replacing 32 year old Yoshida with 22 year old Danso as a back up option isn’t the worst idea ever.

It’s not a good idea either. Danso is not a good centre back and there’s a reason why he hasn’t started in that position, probably not helped by his match for Austria in which he was shocking. I find it odd everyone criticised the potential signing of KWP, yet many are keen on a 4th choice CB who hasn’t barely played for us in that position, barely played for us in any position. A huge and unjustified sense of optimism seems in hand here. A hope that Danso will miraculously start playing well and force himself into the starting 11 as first choice CB. I suppose it’s possible but from from the noises I’m hearing, he’ll be returned at the end of the season and we won’t be pursuing our option to buy. Waste of a large loan fee.

He also strongly hinted that Red Bull takeover talks were happening :lol:

Anyone remember that Jack Schitt character?

Less than a season in and he's now listed on the Bayern Website as Assistant Coach - Analytics, third in the list of First Team Coaches after the Manager and another Assistant Coach. So he's basically gone from assistant manager at Tesco to Assistant Manager at Harrods.

Less than a season in and he's now listed on the Bayern Website as Assistant Coach - Analytics, third in the list of First Team Coaches after the Manager and another Assistant Coach. So he's basically gone from assistant manager at Tesco to Assistant Manager at Harrods.

What he's doing now isn't the point - he didn't leave us for a bigger job at Bayern. He had to leave and subsequently took up a lesser role at Bayern.