Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 2494

Thread: January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Our captain will only have a year left in the summer too.

I think we will have to sell a star player to finance further deals (it's what we do).
    Agree with you on that.

Makes me worried that as soon as Ings undoubtably gets his England Euro 2020 place with everyone else crocked, our eyes light up from another big shiny paycheck. Being a Saints boy, I’d hope he’d want to stay with us.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GDog07 View Post
    Agree with you on that.

Makes me worried that as soon as Ings undoubtably gets his England Euro 2020 place with everyone else crocked, our eyes light up from another big shiny paycheck. Being a Saints boy, Iíd hope heíd want to stay with us.
    Depends on the price really. English striker getting around 20 goals a season at 27 years of age should command a fee of at least £60million in this day and age. Given his injury record previously and our need to rebuild much of the team, could we really turn that down?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...stergaard.html

Now this would be the perfect revenge for the 9-0 loss :-)
    Can't possibly imagine it's true but how sweet would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post

The 27-year-old has been a key player in the Southampton side since arriving from Borussia MŲnchengladbach and his performances have caught the eye of Leicester, who The Sun report have made a £15million bid for the Dane.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post

Not sure the club would see this as the right move and especially at £15m. Think £25m sale to a Prem rival is closer value and anyway it’s more likely we see Yoshi go before Jannick. Do we believe this story from the Mail anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Fan CaM View Post
    Do we believe this story from the Mail anyway?
    It is not a Daily Mail story. The article states the information is from The Sun so it is copy and paste journalism.

This is a Alan Nixon exclusive

https://twitter.com/TheSunFootball/s...407069184?s=19

Maybe rogers saw something in vesterbaad when they won 9-0

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Perhaps Rogers thinks his coaches might get a gem out of him where ours have failed? Seems a bit odd though and even 15 is too cheap in today's prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key player? Really does make you wonder what these idiots watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Fan CaM View Post
    more likely we see Yoshi go before Jannick.
    Yoshida has very little value due to his contract ending soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GDog07 View Post
    Trying to be optimistic about this transfer window and the upcoming Summer.

The more weíve been accumulating the wins this month and pushing away from 18th, the more Iíve been content on not disrupting the side and spending needless money in January when prices are stupid. (Iím hoping thatís the sort of thinking Ralph and the board have agreed on lately, but maybe Iím just trying to be too positive for a Saints Web poster)

Weíve got a long list of players that need shifting this summer again, but, being optimistic, it looks like this could be the window that we free up some much needed wage budget what with;

Yoshida not getting a game
    Cedric gone
    Long questionable to stay for another year
    Adams no doubt wanting a move by then for game-time
    Ely looking like a bargain for Celtic
    Forster seems happy up at Celtic too
    Boufal drumming up some interest and not getting much game time here
    Vestergaard not really cutting it and interest back in Germany
    Hoedt & Carrillo, god knows, hopefully some sucker might give us a couple of £m

I know thatís a long list, but Iím confident we could get rid of a good six on there. Question is, is Ralph going to be backed with some extra cash on top of the sales, or just a piddly £15m/£20m to play with from those moving on, which in terms of teams around us and what they NEED to spend in this league to keep competitive, is such a farse.

I hope we see a good window, making a good £15-£20m in sales and Ralph given £30-£50m to improve the squad, everyone else seems to have no problem splashing a little cash, hopefully weíll see a little well placed expenditure this year.
    The key thing you're missing in thinking we'll shift six players is they're on wages no other club will pay. We're more likely to lose a player or two that we'd rather keep, especially if we finish near the top.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    The key thing you're missing in thinking we'll shift six players is they're on wages no other club will pay. We're more likely to lose a player or two that we'd rather keep, especially if we finish near the top.

Itís likely to be a combination, as players that could be in demand and not wanting to renew their contract with only a year or two left on it donít leave the club much choice but to sell - money is required.

Hopefully a few of those out on loan can be finally moved on and free up some wages even if a transfer fee is minimal.

Then what will happen to players like Slattery? Loan out for game time, sell on or be part of the first team squad and get to play next season? I do wonder if there is some kind of first team plan or if it down to it is what it is!

Well Cedric, Long and Yoshida are all out of contract and at least two of those big wages will go.

Chances are we can shift Forster and possibly Lemina, even if we have to accept less than we paid.

Carillo is a write off - he has one year to go so will just be loaned out again.

If we wanted to then we could get money for Adams and Boufal and Vestergaard may have a market.

Elyounoussi and Hoedt probably the toughest to shift.

I also think this summer could be the one where someone comes in for JWP and if PEH doesn't re-sign then we need to sell him.

So really it should be the summer that we have needed for 2 or 3 years. Its a shame that the recruitment person won't be in place until the summer has already started though.

As per @dansheldonsport #SaintsFC have received an approach from #LCFC for defender Jannik Vestergaard. They would want to turn a profit on the £18m they paid for him to contemplate selling @JasonBourne1986

Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    As per @dansheldonsport #SaintsFC have received an approach from #LCFC for defender Jannik Vestergaard. They would want to turn a profit on the £18m they paid for him to contemplate selling @JasonBourne1986

Why is it we are obsessed with making a profit on transfers? It was the same thing with Lemina during the summer. A player we don't want who isn't/wont play sucking a large wage out of the club and we'd rather carry on paying them whilst they do nothing or loan them out rather than take a small loss on the transfer fee to get them off the wage bill.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Why is it we are obsessed with making a profit on transfers? It was the same thing with Lemina during the summer. A player we don't want who isn't/wont play sucking a large wage out of the club and we'd rather carry on paying them whilst they do nothing or loan them out rather than take a small loss on the transfer fee to get them off the wage bill.
    It's probably a bargaining position start high and meet in the middle. Problem with lemina is we said we wanted to recoup the original fee as a starting position, the other clubs came back with something outlandishly low as a response and we weren't willing to meet in the middle as we believed he was better than money we would get for him and a season doing well on loan would raise his stock.

Like how clubs were allegedly offering to take Forster for £3m last summer and we held out as we believed him to be better than that and he has had a great spell at celtic and his value is being touted at £10m. Just because a player is of no use to us and would not start for us doesn't mean we should immediately sell, often having another club pay their wages and start them putting them in the shop window for us is a win win.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Daft if true. There's 15 million reasons why I'd accept that offer. We need to cut our losses on the poor signings and re build imo.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Daft if true. There's 15 million reasons why I'd accept that offer. We need to cut our losses on the poor signings and re build imo.
    He's our 3rd choice CB currently, ahead of Yoshida and Danso, neither of whom are going to be still at the club after the summer (I cannot see any reason why we would want to take up our option to buy Danso)

If we sell JV now, we had better have a replacement already lined up because otherwise come July we will find ourselves needing to sign at least 2 CBs just to make sure we have enough cover in that position.

I know Vestergaard is Persona non-grata around here, but he actually had a decent game against Palace (after his early mistake) and I reckon he's worth keeping as a backup, if he's happy to be a bench-warmer of course.

Despite how bad Vestergaard has been, if we sell him for £15m, could we find an suitable replacement for that amount? I very much doubt it. Especially with 2 weeks left in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Despite how bad Vestergaard has been, if we sell him for £15m, could we find an suitable replacement for that amount? I very much doubt it. Especially with 2 weeks left in the window.
    If we could sell him form 15M, we'd still have Yoshi and Danso(If him being a centre back isn't a myth), plus the first choice 2. That wouldn't seem crazy to get to the end of the season. Not that i expect anyone to give us 15m or offer us anything but a loan fee for Vest, in which case its worth keeping him.

hes one injury away from playing all the remaining games of the season. in relaity will play a bit. Itd be nice to rebuild but 15m to find a replacement may not be great. Maybe best to keep in in the Yoshida 3rd CB role wile the likes of danso progress (if we rate him)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    He's our 3rd choice CB currently, ahead of Yoshida and Danso, neither of whom are going to be still at the club after the summer (I cannot see any reason why we would want to take up our option to buy Danso)

If we sell JV now, we had better have a replacement already lined up because otherwise come July we will find ourselves needing to sign at least 2 CBs just to make sure we have enough cover in that position.

I know Vestergaard is Persona non-grata around here, but he actually had a decent game against Palace (after his early mistake) and I reckon he's worth keeping as a backup, if he's happy to be a bench-warmer of course.
    I take the point but imo he's not good enough and I'd cash in when we can. If that means getting by with what's left until the season end, then so be it. We can then recruit someone more suitable.

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    I also think this summer could be the one where someone comes in for JWP
    Agree JWP could be sought after now he's demonstrated the ability to add bite and dynamism to his game, as well as being English and brilliant at set pieces. Wonder what sort of value on him now? £30m+? It would leave the club without an academy poster boy in the first team, so maybe we'll be reluctant to sell - it's a big ask to potentially replace JWP, PEH and Oriel so I would think (assuming there's some rationality left in the transfer committee) that only one would leave, plus Lemina.

24. Default

I'd probably cash in.

Saying we want a profit I agree is a bargaining position, he costs us £18 million, they offer us £15 million, we say £20 million, they might then say £18 million and there you go.

Cover is a little worry especially with Bednerak out, but I suppose its not a giant risk with the league position as it is and Danso/Yoshida as back ups.

If it allowed us to go out now and start negotiating for a target that ultimately signs ready for pre-season I'd take it to be honest. The summer is a big rebuilding job and if we need to sell people to balance fees/wages, then doing as much early business as possible is preferable.

I am also presuming he might want out and isn't happy to sit on the bench, he probably wasn't expecting it (though I hope he understands it, unlike someone like Hoedt) when he signed as a regular for a good German side (who are challenging for the title this year) and being back up to a team that is almost certainly going to be in the champions league next year and only has 3 first team centre-backs currently, one of whom is 36 and injured is obviously going to be appealing to him.

We are going to need a whole new back 4 in the summer anyway as Yoshida looks likely to go, as is Cedric, we need cover for Bertrand and need a new centre back anyway. That means even if we have transfer funds we need clearing people from the wages, and if Vestegaard is below now Stephens and Bednerak in the pecking order, he needs to be cleared off the books, making almost the money back we paid for him is a bonus and we might not get takers in the summer especially if it becomes more clear then that he is surplus to requirements.

Still baffles me they want him though.

I think also you give Danso some game time in his actual position and see if he can earn his move here, if he does decently and shows some promise then IIRC the release clause is like 10 million Euros, I think I'd probably take that option up for someone his age seeing as we'll in theory be losing Yoshida, Vestegaard and won't want Hoedt anywhere near the building with his attitude, then even if we go out and get a 'star' centre back signing, you'd want a 4th for decent squad depth and he's shown he can cover other positions as well.
    Last edited by tajjuk; 23-01-2020 at 12:25 PM.

A profit?! And was it really 18m?! And WHAT?!

Fck me if someone offered 10m I'd be chuffed.

Not in 2 weeks no. But in the summer sure. Yoshida instead of him isn't that much different really. And Danso is still there who hasn't played CB much at all for us. Those 2 are back up for 3 months isn't the end of the world.

27. Default

I am not sure that is going to be a massive issue, we might have to subsidise a few but I reckon -

I reckon Forster will take a pay cut to rejoin Celtic and they'll pay a fee, not the ridiculous £25 million quoted but we might get £8-10 for him based on performances this season. He seems to have found a home there, got his confidence back and is liked there, so I reckon he'll drop wages to join them.

Elyounoussi similar, though I think he is on less wages here anyway, done well at Celtic, seems to be liked there so I reckon he might agree to go to Celtic and they might pay a small amount for him again maybe around the £8 million mark.

Cedric and Yoshida are both out of contract and likely to go, that is probably £100k a week off the wages right there.

Long I reckon we'll offer a new contract but on lower terms at his age and more as a squad role, seems an important figure in the dressing room.

Vestergaard seems wanted and even wanted by a PL club so we should get a fee there and no need to sub wages.

Boufal similar, seems wanted by clubs in Spain and Italy, he impressed on loan last year and I reckon we'll get a small transfer fee and he'll want to go to kick start his career.

------------

Between Forster, Elnoyussi, Boufal and Vestergaard I reckon we could maybe get £30 million in transfer funds, maybe more if Vestergaard goes for £15 million plus and Forster goes for £10 million. Vestergaard is obviously attracting interest from various places and has done ok enough, with a decent previous record to keep his value. The other 3 have done well on loan (Boufal last year), that has increased their reputations to make them more valuable and less the complete write offs people predicted.

Those four players definitely have re-sale value and as long as we don't demand stupid fees for them I reckon we'll sell them fairly easily and recoup a decent amount of money. The loans have paid off basically.

Its Carrillo and Hoedt who are the dead weights, they have been terrible for us, and then have done terrible on loan AND have high wages, I think we'll struggle to give them away for free paying half their current wages.

But the others coupled with those leaving for free could raise £25-30 million in funds and crucially should clear about £400k a week off the wage bill, that would give plenty of room to sign 4-5 quality players, if you add our yearly spend of about £50 million.
    Last edited by tajjuk; 23-01-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    A profit?! And was it really 18m?! And WHAT?!

Fck me if someone offered 10m I'd be chuffed.
    I've seen a figure of £22.5m (pounds not euros) mentioned somewhere.

Yeah but when the summer comes we would only have Stephens, Bednarek and Wesley ****, so would need two new CBs, which would be a difficult task to face when we also need a new RB and possibly a CM to challenge HÝjbjerg.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy_Top_89 View Post
    Yeah but when the summer comes we would only have Stephens, Bednarek and Wesley ****, so would need two new CBs, which would be a difficult task to face when we also need a new RB and possibly a CM to challenge HÝjbjerg.
    Or buy one centre back and involve a youngster like Alfie Jones, who's done ok out on loan in league 1 as fourth choice.

Itís obvious heís off he misses out with concussion!!!
    Smiley winky thing. How could they tell?

I take the point but imo he's not good enough and I'd cash in when we can. If that means getting by with what's left until the season end, then so be it. We can then recruit someone more suitable.
    Completely agree, we should bite Leicesterís hand off and get rid. Heís had 18 months and proven heís not good enough. Get off the wage bill and even if we canít get anyone in weíd have to be very unlucky to be without 2 of our 3 centre backs for any lengthy period for the rest of the season. Worst comes to worst Danso surely canít be that bad can he? Heís played regularly in Germany.

33. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    Or buy one centre back and involve a youngster like Alfie Jones, who's done ok out on loan in league 1 as fourth choice.
    Or sell Vestergaard now, give Danso some actual time at centre-back for once and see if he is worth persevering and take up purchase option which IIRC is only around 10 million Euros. Which is not a massive fee for a 21 year old if he does have some talent worth developing.

For once, you and I are in total agreement. I'd give him a lift!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Or sell Vestergaard now, give Danso some actual time at centre-back for once and see if he is worth persevering and take up purchase option which IIRC is only around 10 million Euros. Which is not a massive fee for a 21 year old if he does have some talent worth developing.
    I think the consensus is that Danso really isn’t all that good. He was awful for Austria when they got tonked and despite a semi-decent game against City, he hasn’t done much or impressed enough in training since. Great we were still stupid enough to pay over 3.5 million as a bloody loan fee. That’s extortion. That should be his fee!!!

JV missing from the Spurs game with 'concussion'.

Make of that what you will

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    JV missing from the Spurs game with 'concussion'.

Make of that what you will
    Although he did get a knock on the head at palace was down for a while. I think the rules are that they arenít allowed to play for so many days after a head injury so might be true

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Although he did get a knock on the head at palace was down for a while. I think the rules are that they aren’t allowed to play for so many days after a head injury so might be true
    True...nothing like some speculation though with the LCFC link

Turning down anything around 15m for Vestergaard would be criminal. I find it mind blowing that LCFC are interested.

Did well on Tuesday after his schoolboy error, but in general he is awful & not suited to the premier league in anyway. Whoever scouted/championed his signing should be shot on sight.

40. Default

Adam Blackmore in discussion with Ralph on Adams and Vest:

https://twitter.com/AdamBlackmore/st...426157056?s=20

On rumours about Adams (again) and now Vestegaard being linked with a move away, #SaintsFC boss Ralph Hasenhuettl said:

We don’t need to sell anyone

Nobody has knocked on my door asking to leave

Atmosphere is great in the squad and recent success has been about squad not 11

What about the manager?

Didn't he leave Leipzig doing a 'reverse Koeman?' As I understand he was going in to the last year of his contract but wanted a new one while the club were happy with the situation (I think they had someone lined up for the following season), unlike Koeman who claimed he was happy to see his contract out but the club weren't happy with that state of affairs.

Either way, we have a manager who doesn't seem to agree with continuing to work in the last year of a contract and a club who think the same.

Just a thought - I could be wrong, what do we think happens?

Sell Vestergaard, replace him with Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic, paid for with Forster or Elyounoussi, kill multiple birds with one stone.

Deadwood out, quality replacement in, no money spent, £15m-18m into the kitty. Everyone wins.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...on-centre-back

Saying on there that we are in ongoing talks with Leicester so sounds like Vestergaard could be departing.

Quote Originally Posted by davefizzy14 View Post
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...on-centre-back

Saying on there that we are in ongoing talks with Leicester so sounds like Vestergaard could be departing.
    Well that says “ the two clubs are apart in their valuation” so perhaps we are holding out for 20m.........

Lets hope Saints are sensible in these talks. Great opportunity to get a decent fee for a player I assumed we would end up loaning out in the summer at a huge loss.

With relatively few games to go, I think we could sell without getting a replacement in until the summer if needed.

46. Default

Didn't expect to come in to that Vestergaard story. Does he need a lift up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Mockles View Post
    For once, you and I are in total agreement. I'd give him a lift!!!
    Blimey!!! I'll pay for the petrol.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone could complain if we got 15 million plus for vestergaard.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Didn't expect to come in to that Vestergaard story. Does he need a lift up there?
    It's certainly an odd one. You'd have to question the wisdom of the Leicester recruitment team if they think the solution to their defensive issues is a guy they managed to score 9 past earlier in the season.

Was it Rogers that took some of our lot to Anfield or am I getting muddled? Perhaps he knows something we don’t (!). Sure JV made a mistake against Palace, but come on, most players do and we kept a clean sheet. If there’s little aerial threat in opposition, JV could be considered good enough for a mid-table Prem side given the relatively low price. I think if we are looking to offload it will be for reasons not connected to performance alone.