January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

The Pongracic link is interesting, in that they're basically saying he's off this window for the right price. Granted it may not be to us, but as we're apparently interested, it's not hard to do the Maths. Yes, Stephens and Bednarek have formed a decent partnership at CB, but I'm in the "need another CB" camp in case one gets injured or suspended, especially as we will most probably lose Yoshida at the end of the season, have no faith in Vestergaard and are reluctant to play Danso in his actual position. He was at Bayern Munich until he was 15 - I believe that means he was in the same youth team as Hojbjerg? If my dates are right. Might help him settle quickly if he came.

A CB and a RB this window (especially one that can cover LB) would make it a brilliant window, but I'm not holding my breath. My worry is that as good as our form is currently with everyone performing at 8 or higher, a knock of confidence or a couple of injuries could see us slink down the table again.

Agreed if we could get both we would have had a fantastic window esp as it would keep the current players on there toes - nothing wrong with a bit of competition for places.

The Pongracic link is interesting, in that they're basically saying he's off this window for the right price. Granted it may not be to us, but as we're apparently interested, it's not hard to do the Maths. Yes, Stephens and Bednarek have formed a decent partnership at CB, but I'm in the "need another CB" camp in case one gets injured or suspended, especially as we will most probably lose Yoshida at the end of the season, have no faith in Vestergaard and are reluctant to play Danso in his actual position. He was at Bayern Munich until he was 15 - I believe that means he was in the same youth team as Hojbjerg? If my dates are right. Might help him settle quickly if he came.

A CB and a RB this window (especially one that can cover LB) would make it a brilliant window, but I'm not holding my breath. My worry is that as good as our form is currently with everyone performing at 8 or higher, a knock of confidence or a couple of injuries could see us slink down the table again.

He was also in the Ingolstadt academy at the time Ralph was at the club.

Not sure about Walker-Peters, Poch played Aurier and Foyth over him, and Aurier is a terrible full back and Foyth is a centre-back. Now Mourinho has played Aurier and gave a debut to an 18 year old at right back against Liverpool instead of playing him.

Not sure about Walker-Peters, Poch played Aurier and Foyth over him, and Aurier is a terrible full back and Foyth is a centre-back. Now Mourinho has played Aurier and gave a debut to an 18 year old at right back against Liverpool instead of playing him.

that concerns me too. He was a good prospect, but there seems little faith in him at this time. Very young still, so still time to develop, but if he is to be first choice next season then we will need him to fulfil his promise quickly

Incorrect. Danny Ings was a loan with an obligation to buy.

If I’m wrong on that, I have no issue with that being shot down. Seems a pretty ridiculous contract to agree to have a loan with an obligation rather than an option to buy. The appearances obligation is a common clause. I hope that wasn’t another Les Reed action, if true. Fortunately, I’m not arrogant enough to not admit fault and I don’t know that I’m wrong but I had a number of people saying similar things & I thought there might have been something in it. Still, at least the club expert minions may get a chubby over that if it’s wrong. Who cares anyway, Ings is on fire this season so I’m bloody glad we have him. I’ve liked him since day one. positive comment shocker. There must be something wrong with my inherent negativity switch!! Lol

All of you long winded and critical posts are based on you having absolutely no information on what is happening within the club. You do not know what Mr Gao thinks, or what his intentions are with Southampton FC. You know nothing about what transfers are or are not going to take place and you do not know how much money has been allocated for transfers.

You know absolutely nothing about what my posts are based on. Assuming anything is wildly presumptuous and as short sighted as you claim me to be. Fortunately, we are not in the House of Commons so we may be ok.

I never professed to know. I just chatted & discussed football matters which is the general ethos of the forum I think Heir Angel. Conversely, Do you know Mr Gao? Do you know what’s happening within the club and do you know what the intentions are with Southampton FC? I’d be worried about any fan who knew too much about the transfer intentions of a premier league club during a transfer window. I think you’re missing the entire point of this thread and the website.

In fact everything you write is based on what you think, what you feel and your in built negativity towards people within our club that you personally know nothing about.

I think most people’s scrawlings & writings are based on thoughts they actually thought and emotions they actually felt. Whilst some of the posts on this forum are highly questionable, I don’t think our club PR dept. have yet developed robots, autobots or artificial intelligence. I think some of the intelligence is artificial but not in the way you may think. Notwithstanding your post. ;o)

It’s very difficult to write without those mechanisms, unless you’re a robot. It’s also very presumptuous to assume I have an inbuilt negativity towards the club. It’s more of an inbuilt intolerance of deceit, bigots and idiots but I’m responding to you so I’m at least making progress.

The fact that the whole club are now making an immense effort to correct previous mistakes and create something that may well turn out to be quite special is being done on a sustainable basis. You are wrong to accuse the club of breaking promises when the club have made no promises, other than to do the very best it can in an incredibly competitive league.

Since we know nothing about this speculative comment and whether it’s as outlandish as the club’s PR departments grip on reality, it will be tricky for even the best spokesman to sell zero investment in the club as “immense effort to create previous mistakes”. I don’t think I’m going to be pole vaulting around on a chubby just yet but I’ll definitely give the club credit when we see the fruits of their labour. Incidentally, can you give me a link to the article where the club said about their intentions to do the very best they can in the league? I guess that’s a given but words mean nothing (other than on this forum) and actions divulge more.

I don’t remember seeing many direct quotes from the club yet I clearly may have missed some. If I have, I’m not too big to admit my mistakes and I’ll adjust my view accordingly to all these people who managed to scout the media and unearth these counter quotes.

The people involved with Southampton FC are working flat out to make it a success and rather than keep sniping at them perhaps you should get behind the club 100%. No one is perfect and no human being can be right all the time. Things go wrong and mistakes are made but throwing criticism at what the club is or isn't doing, based on nothing but your opinion, is pathetic and very tiresome.

Not nearly as tiresome as you post criticising people criticising. I put people like that in the same band as reformed smokers and zealous vegans. I support the team and manager and those that need to be supported. Words on a football forum have very little impact so it is odd to provoke your abuse but it’s your view. Fortunately, opinions vary. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves forgiveness (within reason) but don’t give me this angelic cr*p that clubs are some sort of mother Theresa. I love football but there is also an ugly inside to the game and everyone knows that & that’s not dwelling on negativity that’s looking at the light and the dark. Just save the sanctimony.

There are very positive things happening within the club that can not be made public. No company holds its management meetings in public when it discusses future development or other sensitive matters. Southampton FC are no different.

I have no doubt there is and I was never under any illusion otherwise. When I see this elusive ambition and success, I will join in with the fanfare. Heart on your sleeve debate and fickle comments are what preside over a football club and if you take it too seriously and deliberate too much, you really probably shouldn’t follow football. Never sit in the stand on a match day if club owner critique & boardroom animosity pulls on your heart strings, your head will explode!! :mcinnes:

Why would the loan with obligation to buy be a ridiculous contract? If we didn’t have the money to sign him, but knew we would in the summer, then that deal is a perfectly normal one to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why would the loan with obligation to buy be a ridiculous contract? If we didn’t have the money to sign him, but knew we would in the summer, then that deal is a perfectly normal one to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If he was crap or got injured then I would not want to buy the player. Luckily Ings hit form at the most important time but I’m over the comment now so I wouldn’t dwell on it too much

Incorrect. Danny Ings was a loan with an obligation to buy.

If I’m wrong on that, I have no issue with that being shot down. Seems a pretty ridiculous contract to agree to have a loan with an obligation rather than an option to buy. The appearances obligation is a common clause. I hope that wasn’t another Les Reed action, if true. Fortunately, I’m not arrogant enough to not admit fault and I don’t know that I’m wrong but I had a number of people saying similar things & I thought there might have been something in it. Still, at least the club expert minions may get a chubby over that if it’s wrong. Who cares anyway, Ings is on fire this season so I’m bloody glad we have him. I’ve liked him since day one. positive comment shocker. There must be something wrong with my inherent negativity switch!! Lol

All of you long winded and critical posts are based on you having absolutely no information on what is happening within the club. You do not know what Mr Gao thinks, or what his intentions are with Southampton FC. You know nothing about what transfers are or are not going to take place and you do not know how much money has been allocated for transfers.

You know absolutely nothing about what my posts are based on. Assuming anything is wildly presumptuous and as short sighted as you claim me to be. Fortunately, we are not in the House of Commons so we may be ok.

I never professed to know. I just chatted & discussed football matters which is the general ethos of the forum I think Heir Angel. Conversely, Do you know Mr Gao? Do you know what’s happening within the club and do you know what the intentions are with Southampton FC? I’d be worried about any fan who knew too much about the transfer intentions of a premier league club during a transfer window. I think you’re missing the entire point of this thread and the website.

In fact everything you write is based on what you think, what you feel and your in built negativity towards people within our club that you personally know nothing about.

I think most people’s scrawlings & writings are based on thoughts they actually thought and emotions they actually felt. Whilst some of the posts on this forum are highly questionable, I don’t think our club PR dept. have yet developed robots, autobots or artificial intelligence. I think some of the intelligence is artificial but not in the way you may think. Notwithstanding your post. ;o)

It’s very difficult to write without those mechanisms, unless you’re a robot. It’s also very presumptuous to assume I have an inbuilt negativity towards the club. It’s more of an inbuilt intolerance of deceit, bigots and idiots but I’m responding to you so I’m at least making progress.

The fact that the whole club are now making an immense effort to correct previous mistakes and create something that may well turn out to be quite special is being done on a sustainable basis. You are wrong to accuse the club of breaking promises when the club have made no promises, other than to do the very best it can in an incredibly competitive league.

Since we know nothing about this speculative comment and whether it’s as outlandish as the club’s PR departments grip on reality, it will be tricky for even the best spokesman to sell zero investment in the club as “immense effort to create previous mistakes”. I don’t think I’m going to be pole vaulting around on a chubby just yet but I’ll definitely give the club credit when we see the fruits of their labour. Incidentally, can you give me a link to the article where the club said about their intentions to do the very best they can in the league? I guess that’s a given but words mean nothing (other than on this forum) and actions divulge more.

I don’t remember seeing many direct quotes from the club yet I clearly may have missed some. If I have, I’m not too big to admit my mistakes and I’ll adjust my view accordingly to all these people who managed to scout the media and unearth these counter quotes.

The people involved with Southampton FC are working flat out to make it a success and rather than keep sniping at them perhaps you should get behind the club 100%. No one is perfect and no human being can be right all the time. Things go wrong and mistakes are made but throwing criticism at what the club is or isn't doing, based on nothing but your opinion, is pathetic and very tiresome.

Not nearly as tiresome as you post criticising people criticising. I put people like that in the same band as reformed smokers and zealous vegans. I support the team and manager and those that need to be supported. Words on a football forum have very little impact so it is odd to provoke your abuse but it’s your view. Fortunately, opinions vary. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves forgiveness (within reason) but don’t give me this angelic cr*p that clubs are some sort of mother Theresa. I love football but there is also an ugly inside to the game and everyone knows that & that’s not dwelling on negativity that’s looking at the light and the dark. Just save the sanctimony.

There are very positive things happening within the club that can not be made public. No company holds its management meetings in public when it discusses future development or other sensitive matters. Southampton FC are no different.

I have no doubt there is and I was never under any illusion otherwise. When I see this elusive ambition and success, I will join in with the fanfare. Heart on your sleeve debate and fickle comments are what preside over a football club and if you take it too seriously and deliberate too much, you really probably shouldn’t follow football. Never sit in the stand on a match day if club owner critique & boardroom animosity pulls on your heart strings, your head will explode!! :mcinnes:

Have you considered being a little more concise in your writing?

Not sure I see much logic in walker peters as cedric’s Replacement.

We’ve already got Valery who is younger, played and showed more.

Are you serious? After Leicester Ralph seems to have totally lost faith in him and I can understand why. Most of the pundits indirectly pointed out Valery’s frailties and while it may be unfair to make him the scapegoat for the worst performance in my Saints history, he was largely responsible for a hatful of the goals and he cannot mark or track people whatsoever. He needs some crash courses from Martin Keown in marking. He’s alright going forwards but I don’t think anywhere near the quality we need in defence and the flanks. Maybe he’ll be intensively coached and make a miraculous come back as he isn’t without ability but for the replacement of Soares, we should be aiming much higher. An old-fashioned full back that can go forward but actually track players & make decisive interceptions & last ditch tackles.

Are you serious? After Leicester Ralph seems to have totally lost faith in him and I can understand why. Most of the pundits indirectly pointed out Valery’s frailties and while it may be unfair to make him the scapegoat for the worst performance in my Saints history, he was largely responsible for a hatful of the goals and he cannot mark or track people whatsoever. He needs some crash courses from Martin Keown in marking. He’s alright going forwards but I don’t think anywhere near the quality we need in defence and the flanks. Maybe he’ll be intensively coached and make a miraculous come back as he isn’t without ability but for the replacement of Soares, we should be aiming much higher. An old-fashioned full back that can go forward but actually track players & make decisive interceptions & last ditch tackles.

Except he played several after Leicester before his mystery illness.

One very bad game when everyone else played badly, when he has also has had very good games is hardly cause for writing him off.

I’m fine with replacing Cedric with someone with some experience, just not with someone who’s not done well and has little real experience.

Except he played several after Leicester before his mystery illness.

One very bad game when everyone else played badly, when he has also has had very good games is hardly cause for writing him off.

I’m fine with replacing Cedric with someone with some experience, just not with someone who’s not done well and has little real experience.

I’m going by Ralph favouring Soares who openly said he’s leaving so it illustrates Ralph lack of faith in Valery & I personally think he tackling and tracking is cr*p, which is fairly important for a defender. He can be good going forward & play some decent passes but that’s not enough to be classed a good FB. I think replacing Soares with a better, ball winning, high energy RB is high on the club’s agenda.

It only would make any sense if we have already decided he's not good enough and are buying a replacement.

If there is truth that the club want to sell him against the managers wishes, it's really time for Ralph to stand up and insist Adams doesn't leave before a replacement that Ralph approves is signed. Otherwise we would all know what would happen here!

Yes we do. I'm getting a a sense of deja vu, all over again. A year ago the club loaned out Cedric and did not bring in a replacement. A gamble which fortunately paid off. Getting rid of Adam's, hoping Ings doesn't get injured and not bringing in a goalscorer, would be an even bigger and stupider gamble.

Walker-Peters was the 22nd-best player on the pitch against Newport County in the FA Cup 4th Round in 2018/19 and I don't think he's improved since. I wouldn't touch him with a 50ft pole.

Is 22 very young?

Not really, and honestly I know there are some doubts about Valery, but he clearly showed in the 2nd half of last season he has a lot of talent and was a big part of turning things around under Ralf after Huges was sacked, some top performances in there. From what I have seen of Walker-Peters, and the fact he seemingly has been over looked by two top coaches and can't get a place ahead of a very dodgy full back in Aurier, I am struggling to see how a guy 2 years older who has shown less promise than Valery is worth getting.

I know Valery has had problems this year, but who knows the full details, maybe this virus has been affecting him the whole time and it only got diagnosed recently? Some viruses can be really nasty and drain people of their energy, constant headaches etc. whilst not showing masses of physical signs so he could have looked fit to play but really wasn't and is now being ruled out until he can get rid of it.

Long term I think he'll be a good player, seems to have all the attributes needed to be a good modern full back, but he needs to learn and improve his defending, which will take time and experience.

Replace Cedric like for like, as in Cedric is the senior player and first choice, so we need a new first choice right back, who then has Valery challenging him for a place.

Not really, and honestly I know there are some doubts about Valery, but he clearly showed in the 2nd half of last season he has a lot of talent and was a big part of turning things around under Ralf after Huges was sacked, some top performances in there. From what I have seen of Walker-Peters, and the fact he seemingly has been over looked by two top coaches and can't get a place ahead of a very dodgy full back in Aurier, I am struggling to see how a guy 2 years older who has shown less promise than Valery is worth getting.

I know Valery has had problems this year, but who knows the full details, maybe this virus has been affecting him the whole time and it only got diagnosed recently? Some viruses can be really nasty and drain people of their energy, constant headaches etc. whilst not showing masses of physical signs so he could have looked fit to play but really wasn't and is now being ruled out until he can get rid of it.

Long term I think he'll be a good player, seems to have all the attributes needed to be a good modern full back, but he needs to learn and improve his defending, which will take time and experience.

Replace Cedric like for like, as in Cedric is the senior player and first choice, so we need a new first choice right back, who then has Valery challenging him for a place.

Glandular Fever is one exmple of what is a possible viral infection could have and I wouldnt wish it on anyone. Thats a nasty example of a viral infection that can have quite a bit of longevity.

Not many signings about generally. Think clubs are wising up to it a bit, going for loans or going with what they have. Too much panic money thrown at things. We got our success by looking at players for the next few years and developing them and need to stick with that.

Guess we'll loan a full back and that'll be about it. Summer we need more at CM, CB, full back and another attacker. But 4 decent signings over the summer while shipping out the deadwood is far more feasible.

The last few summers would suggest otherwise!

Not many signings about generally. Think clubs are wising up to it a bit, going for loans or going with what they have. Too much panic money thrown at things. We got our success by looking at players for the next few years and developing them and need to stick with that.

Guess we'll loan a full back and that'll be about it. Summer we need more at CM, CB, full back and another attacker. But 4 decent signings over the summer while shipping out the deadwood is far more feasible.

I remember similar being said a few seasons back which deferred through multiple, virtually inactive, transfer windows until the last summer which was lauded as the big rebuild and we barely even bolstered the defence so I won’t get overly excited. I’d have liked to have seen some decisive action by mid January yet still no movements. Let’s hope things are quietly progressing in the background due to the sensitive nature of football (and some forum members, with ‘members’ being the operative word)

I’m still keen on Maehle above others. Unsure why. Just seems more PL ready.

I remember similar being said a few seasons back which deferred through multiple, virtually inactive, transfer windows until the last summer which was lauded as the big rebuild and we barely even bolstered the defence so I won’t get overly excited. I’d have liked to have seen some decisive action by mid January yet still no movements. Let’s hope things are quietly progressing in the background due to the sensitive nature of football (and some forum members, with ‘members’ being the operative word)

I’m still keen on Maehle above others. Unsure why. Just seems more PL ready.

After our early season form I think we would all have liked to have seen a defender or two come in early in January. However as we are currently 3 wins from 3 this calendar year, I think the club has bought themselves some breathing space. As long as a player or two is in by February 1st, the second half of the season we will be stronger.

After our early season form I think we would all have liked to have seen a defender or two come in early in January. However as we are currently 3 wins from 3 this calendar year, I think the club has bought themselves some breathing space. As long as a player or two is in by February 1st, the second half of the season we will be stronger.

Agreed. As long as a player or arrives before the window shuts, we should be ok.

I've been considering all this Leeds interest and Bielsa talk. If Bielsa is so keen on Che Adams that Leeds have made him their number one target, it should give us enough reason enough to hang onto him. Bielsa is no fool. A genuine workaholic genius in my eyes. He has also shown recently that he's finding his feet as the winning goal at Leicester proved. If we cash in on Adams purely for the sake of money (with no upgrade) then we truly are an idiotic club.

Losing Adams would be a big mistake. The more I reflect, the more I feel Leeds interest should alert us to the skills of Adams. He may not have scored but he’s been an important part of our turnaround, as has been Armstrong and Long

Adams retains the ball really well & appears to have a good brain. We need to keep all of the above and concentrate on a proven CB and cover for full back positions in my opinion. Stephens & Bednarek have finally formed a convincing partnership, but I fear we still lack a really top CB to Marshall the defence properly.

A commanding voice at the base of the midfield (address that in summer) should be our second priority. Full back positions are essential as we are always one injury away from a crisis. If key players in key positions in which we are thin in depth (i.e. Ings, Soares or Bertrand), we could easily slip back into the doldrums. Just a thought.

That is all. I was also trying to be concise ;)

Mourinho has let a lot of good players leave who go on to better things. Personally I'd put more faith in the fact Poch rated him.

But what does it mean for Valery? Would Cedric leave? Valery loaned out or sold?

KWP feels like more of a summer signing if Cedric goes. We don't want to instantly disrupt the back 4 and KWP wants to move to play.

To be honest if KWP is signed now as a loan with option to buy, it would make more sense to let Cedric leave now (assuming Cedric is still committed to leaving at end of season anyway). That way Ralph will see enough of him in action to decide whether to sign permanently. Obviously also depends what's going on with Valery's fitness.

From a selfish short term fan view, I would prefer if Cedric stayed as we seem to have finally sorted the defence for now. But probably makes more sense strategically to plan ahead if he's off.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Personally would not be a fan of that. Don't rate him and think he isn't quick enough for the PL.

Would have to question why Fulham would sell their main LB for a relatively paltry £7m.

Everton get Lucas Digne, we get Joe Bryan. There's a gulf in quality between those two signings. Bertrand has been one of our best ever left backs - we need someone as good as him in the future or we are going to struggle. Again. Penny-pinching will cost us long term.

Everton get Lucas Digne, we get Joe Bryan. There's a gulf in quality between those two signings. Bertrand has been one of our best ever left backs - we need someone as good as him in the future or we are going to struggle. Again. Penny-pinching will cost us long term.

I would question your assessment of Digne, cos he hasn't looked that great on the occasions I've watched him, but I agree we should be looking at better than this lad from Fulham. With him on the left and KWP on the right, we would be looking at a significant downgrade on what we currently have.

When they came up, Fulham wanted Targett and when they couldn’t get him, they settled for Bryan. If we sell Targett and poss Bertrand (in the summer) and end up with Bryan as first choice, that’s look like poor planning.

He was very well respected when at Bristol City, but was pretty rubbish in his only premier league season and is part of a shaky Fulham defence in the Champo

Bryan would be an awful signing in my opinion. He has a decent cross on him, but that is about it. Can you imagine if we had him LB and Cedric RB, would be the smallest full backs in the league. Teams already target Cedric every game with his lack of height.

Walker-Peters would be an excellent loan with an option to buy. He can play both flanks and i've been impressed by him when I have seen him play for Spurs.

Kicker says Pongracic has signed Wolfsburg for under 10m euros. Shame if we missed out on a long term target.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

The report says Hasenhuttl really tried to get him in the summer, but that we are no longer interested now.

Mourinho has let a lot of good players leave who go on to better things. Personally I'd put more faith in the fact Poch rated him.

Did he rate him though? I don't remember there being much confidence shown in him by Poch in more recent times?

I'd hope its a loan with a view to buy. Thats a win win for us. He then has the chance to dislodge Cedric during the loan. If he cant at least push him close, then perhaps he is not the guy we need long term.

Edited by Chez

Alex Crook : Can confirm #THFC defender Kyle Walker-Peters is on #SaintsFC list of transfer window targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does SFC or THFC tell Crook anything? Could be the agent being busy promoting/touting his client. Time will tell.