January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Or maybe he's just realised that the backup options we have are more adequate than he thought a few weeks ago

^I'm inclined to go with this.^

I'm no body language expert but he appeared genuine when he said there's a danger of blocking the development paths of Vokins and Valery if we get someone in and that he's now more inclined to think that they can provide decent back up sooner than he thought they'd be able to. He certainly didn't seem hacked off in any way.

Edited by trousers

Or maybe he's just realised that the backup options we have are more adequate than he thought a few weeks ago, and that we can wait until the summer to get a permanent replacement for Cedric.

The last thing we need is yet another bang average bench warmer. It makes sense to wait if the right player isn’t available right now.

Are we surprised? 16 days in of silence, been on a good run and we've decided not to bring in anyone.

Let's hope a few injuries don't bite us in the arse.

It seems to be a pretty sensible approach to me there is no point in getting in an average player just in case of injuries I doubt a decent one would want to come and sit on the bench behind two established internationals

Ralph in today's pre-match press conference (paraphrased): "We are still looking at the possibility of getting in a full-back. However, Valery is due back quicker than we thought (end of Jan) and Jake Vokins showed in the cup game that he is closer to first team standard than we perhaps thought. So, we have to be careful not to block their path into the first team and will only sign a player if we need to, not for the sake of it. We have the funds to sign someone if we need to."

I bloody hope he didn't. If so, that's changed a lot from definitely signing full backs (CB was included before) to "possibly". We really do lower and changed expectations if this change in tact is to believed. Maybe response to getting no targets signed off by the prevaricating Chair. Let's hope this is just a poor choice of words before I start ranting. Patience Mockles!! :lol:

What's all this based on? We've seen the guy play one game at centre back.

I agree and against City, in position, he played well. I can't comment *shock* without knowing the contractual obligations but I think he has something in the correct CB position but only the coaches and Ralph can decide accurately. I trust them after the work done since Dec but would like to see a leading, better quality CB instilled, even a Captain figure, for next season. Stephens has improved a lot and would make sense to be focused on for the future with Bednarek the ideal back up, blocker. Stephens assists, goals and distribution has been a valuable contribution to our campaign and I hope noticed since his mistakes draw so much focus.

Where did you hear that? He's only 28.

Poor choice of phrase. I mean, in his twilight years. He never had pace but his legs have slowed a LOT. Could be why he fell out of favour. I would imagine we wouldn't renew his contract from a Saints perspective. No idea when it expires but he's been a great servant to us.

UTS. Nice to look forward to Wolves and feel excitement, rather than dread. We have Mourinho and Nuno making psychological comments to inspire their teams which illustrates some trepidation in my eyes. They're scared of our front line and so they should be. What a nice change. :)

It seems to be a pretty sensible approach to me there is no point in getting in an average player just in case of injuries I doubt a decent one would want to come and sit on the bench behind two established internationals

I do agree. I was expecting us to have a quiet January after seeing us almost break into the Top 10.

As long as we do the correct business in the summer moving on those that need to leave the club or have been languishing away at other clubs on loan and the money given to Ralph to invest in the right areas.

The above is all good, bearing in mind that we still have enough to survive the drop this year.

Ralph in today's pre-match press conference (paraphrased): "We are still looking at the possibility of getting in a full-back. However, Valery is due back quicker than we thought (end of Jan) and Jake Vokins showed in the cup game that he is closer to first team standard than we perhaps thought. So, we have to be careful not to block their path into the first team and will only sign a player if we need to, not for the sake of it. We have the funds to sign someone if we need to."

January is a terrible time to be recruiting so i'm happy enough at the news.

Glad to hear valery is on his way back. Wonder will the next Cup game will be too soon for him.

As I said before business in January is generally unreliable, statistically a lot of them fail and best teams get 1-2 extra points out of spending around £35-40 million.

Also important to note it's taken the players a year pretty much to really grasp and fully embrace Ralph's style of play and what he wants them to do. A Jan signing doesn't have that time, no full pre-season, no time to get the system, style etc.

The only really sensible signing is someone we were going to get anyway, as a in a long term target that might be available now without increased finances.

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't sign anyone.

An outbreak of pragmatism on the Saintsweb Forum? Most disconcerting :)

I know - unbelievable! I was expecting much teeth gnashing and uproar. Given Ralph was emphatic in the forum that there would be at least one incoming then it is a big shift in short space of time. Perhaps the reality is that we are struggling to get our target over the line as we have changed what we are prepared to pay given our form and a shift in view on Valery and Vokins' ability to provide cover

Reading into Ralph's comments and being a saints fan means being pessimistic, I think that was gearing us up to signing nobody in January. A change of form shouldn't deter you from signing players, as that is just standing still. We desperately need full back cover and if Bertrand gets injured we are knackered. Whilst Vokins scored against Huddersfield I wasn't overly impressed with him against poor opposition. Valery has been awful this season and cannot defend, so is again a poor back up for Cedric.

I know people are dubious about Walker-Peters, but a loan option would a great signing with him being comfortable on both flanks. He got 3 assists in 6 league appearances last season too.

It's obvious Gao hasn't got a pot to p*ss in and he must be loving the upturn in form, as it's less pressure to spend money. Bloody mug

Reading into Ralph's comments and being a saints fan means being pessimistic, I think that was gearing us up to signing nobody in January. A change of form shouldn't deter you from signing players, as that is just standing still. We desperately need full back cover and if Bertrand gets injured we are knackered. Whilst Vokins scored against Huddersfield I wasn't overly impressed with him against poor opposition. Valery has been awful this season and cannot defend, so is again a poor back up for Cedric.

I know people are dubious about Walker-Peters, but a loan option would a great signing with him being comfortable on both flanks. He got 3 assists in 6 league appearances last season too.

It's obvious Gao hasn't got a pot to p*ss in and he must be loving the upturn in form, as it's less pressure to spend money. Bloody mug

If Walker Peters is that good, I would have expected him to be capped by England already, as he has made the pre-requisite 6 starts for Spurs !

It’s never good to go into a negotiation with a party that knows you are desperate to buy. Maybe it is just poker face?

Strange that one game against a terrible championship side and Vokins is the answer, especially as we supposedly had done a deal for Aaron Bakker.

Looks like this window will pan out exactly like all the other January ones, as predicted.

Strange that one game against a terrible championship side and Vokins is the answer, especially as we supposedly had done a deal for Aaron Bakker.

Looks like this window will pan out exactly like all the other January ones, as predicted.

Ralph did not say that Vokins was the answer he said that if a backup LB was brought in it would obviously in the long term hamper the development of him.

There is little point in having an Academy if we dont give the players coming from there a chance.

Ralph did not say that Vokins was the answer he said that if a backup LB was brought in it would obviously in the long term hamper the development of him.

There is little point in having an Academy if we dont give the players coming from there a chance.

Im very surprised to see that after 90 minutes against a team that didn't get out of their half then suddenly we don't need to bring anyone in because we don't want anything to get in the way of Vokins development. Why wasn't that the case before?

Are we going to signing a £19m flip from Monaco again?

UNlikely, Who is going to do the deals? Anyone who knew how to sign a player has left and replacement not here yet. I guess Semmens might know how to do a deal ater buying white boards for his marketing company.

I’d still like us to bring in a first choice right back, but with Valery back I can understand why we’re potentially sticking with what we have. However as Cedric has said he’s definitely off in the summer, I’d be doing what I could to bring in a first choice right back this window to overlap Cedric’s departure, to help bed him in before next season, and to see what he has to offer before starting next season with an untested new right back signing. Not to mention strengthen us this season. Plus Cedric can play left back if needed so it’d strengthen us there too.

Not surprised the club are not buying anyone and the continued lack of ambition is a shame as Ralph Is the best manager Saints have had since Koeman and I think he could get Saints back into Europe given the backing from the board.

Would still like Saints to sign a commanding centre half even though the central defenders have been better recently they have rode their luck at times . This seasons best defender for Saints has been VAR

Not surprised the club are not buying anyone and the continued lack of ambition is a shame as Ralph Is the best manager Saints have had since Koeman and I think he could get Saints back into Europe given the backing from the board.

Would still like Saints to sign a commanding centre half even though the central defenders have been better recently they have rode their luck at times . This seasons best defender for Saints has been VAR

VAR helping us out so many times shows that our centre backs have been well positioned. If they’d been marginally playing the striker onside more, VAR would have punished us.

How much do you think someone who would be a commanding centre half in the PL would cost? Cos Man City are looking for one as are Arsenal.

No idea what the club are doing now im afraid. There was 100pc an agent representing a french player, signing him up to a gym in winchester. It could be Valery i suppose, but from what i gathered, it was a new signing.

Maybe someone pulled out or we are keeping the fact we want to spend quiet.

It is very short sighted of the club to think we already have the answers. I will ask around.

That was the proof of someone signing? That Winchester is near Southampton? Lordy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#wemarchon

Have to say the tune has subtlety changed from Ralph and the Board from 2-3 players inbound to just talking about one in. I get there are budgetary limits...why would there not be? But to think that we can ride our luck without quality backup in key positions (e.g. Ings) or indeed improving the squad by buying in better quality than we have, is verging on the reckless.

Having said that, Ralph has a real problem keeping the squad players on board when not playing...even senior players such as Yoshida and Long. Tough job, but one I’m confident he can deal with.

Have to say the tune has subtlety changed from Ralph and the Board from 2-3 players inbound to just talking about one in. I get there are budgetary limits...why would there not be? But to think that we can ride our luck without quality backup in key positions (e.g. Ings) or indeed improving the squad by buying in better quality than we have, is verging on the reckless.

Having said that, Ralph has a real problem keeping the squad players on board when not playing...even senior players such as Yoshida and Long. Tough job, but one I’m confident he can deal with.

When was it said there were three players inbound? All I can recall is Ralph before Xmas saying hello wanted to bring in two players.

When was it said there were three players inbound? All I can recall is Ralph before Xmas saying hello wanted to bring in two players.

After the Leicester loss the club via the telegraph issued a statement saying the club would allow the manager to rebuild the squad, starting in January where the most pressing issues of full back and Centre back would be addressed. They also said a new DOF and senior recruitment person would be in place before then. Failed on every count so far.

After the Leicester loss the club via the telegraph issued a statement saying the club would allow the manager to rebuild the squad, starting in January where the most pressing issues of full back and Centre back would be addressed. They also said a new DOF and senior recruitment person would be in place before then. Failed on every count so far.
You can't prove it was the club who planted that article, you can't prove it was the marketing department that released a PR piece. No proof so it's definitely nothing to do with the club. Definitely.

No matter how good our little run is, our squad needs serious surgery.

That needs to start immediately.

Sad that after a few wins the usual club back slapping by fans has started

Okay, I’ll take it as a given that the Telegraph article was 100% what the club told them and hasn’t been sexed up by a journalist but they haven’t said they are bringing in three players. Just that full back and CB needed addressing.

I can’t imagine we’ll see a CB with JS/JB playing well now and 3 others not getting a game already. By all accounts we’re after full backs, so I’ll see what happens before I get too upset.

Edited by Lighthouse

You can't prove it was the club who planted that article, you can't prove it was the marketing department that released a PR piece. No proof so it's definitely nothing to do with the club. Definitely.

Shame you're being sarcastic, as that was almost sensible.

Ughhhh, you don’t have to spend 40m to get a decent CB.

If you scout correctly, you can get one for sub 10m. But we don’t anymore.

Massive uuuuuuuggggghh that they pr1ck Gao is still here and our form has papered over the fact he’s still in charge. Best manager since RK and he has to draw out the best in a limited bunch.

Ughhhh, you don’t have to spend 40m to get a decent CB.

If you scout correctly, you can get one for sub 10m. But we don’t anymore.

Massive uuuuuuuggggghh that they pr1ck Gao is still here and our form has papered over the fact he’s still in charge. Best manager since RK and he has to draw out the best in a limited bunch.

Yup - big money players only get that way when big clubs pay big money for them (duh). There's plenty of talent out there, you just have to know what you're looking for.

I’m clinging to a hope that we’re saying we won’t buy now after the £35m stuff when prices went up. And that we’ll swoop late on in the window if there’s something good. No, not looking at you, Fulham. Or you Spurs.

It sounds like the preferred candidate will not be available until the summer. As for new players, due to recent improvement in results and form, do you think that perhaps we don’t need to panic now? We all know that it is harder and more expensive to recruit in January. If Ralph has decided that he thinks this squad is ok until summer, better to wait until then instead of possibly getting stuck with more average players.