January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Were the culprits not sacked?

We are stuffed at the moment and until the new structure is in place Croker , new recruitment guy and we know what division we are in 36 points quoted don’t think contracts will be discussed although I would bet some have been already.

I don’t see us coming out of this well unless we take a big loss on Forster, Mo,Carillo and Hoedt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson got a bigger job and left with a reputation as being a transfer guru!

So at the start of the transfer window we were told we absolutely had to do something in the window and bring in especially full backs where we were short

At the end of it we’ve brought in a loan and let two go so we end weaker than we started

So at the start of the transfer window we were told we absolutely had to do something in the window and bring in especially full backs where we were short

At the end of it we’ve brought in a loan and let two go so we end weaker than we started

Yep I am sure we are all disappointed I wanted a better centre half, combative midfielder and tall quality full backs how many goals conceded played over Cedric head .

One thing that never changes is the PR and bull .

I have still been scanning hoping to find better news stupid fool that I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

At the end of it weÂ’ve brought in a loan and let two go so we end weaker than we started

Whilst not necessarily agreeing with this approach, what changed is 9 more premier league points, which makes relegation significantly less likely (but not guaranteed).

Fundamentally, the clubÂ’s wage bill is too high. It will have a ratio of wages to turnover it is happy with. When we were doing well [Europe etc] are turnover increased due to more games and more games on tv etc. So we upped our spend. Unfortunately, we didnÂ’t maintain that level of performance, so our income dropped. This leave us with a higher than we are happy with, wages to turnover ratio.

Like or not, Hoedt, Forster, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Carillo represent a lot of money in both wages and amortisation (and I suspect we are clawing back at best, a very small proportion of the above expenditure through loan fees and wage contributions for these

Players). Until these players are gone from the club - we are unable to buy a lot.

Gao ainÂ’t putting money in. People can moan, say we need new owners etc. It doesnÂ’t change anything. This is where we are until the [very expensive] deadwood can be shifted. This summer is vital

Whilst not necessarily agreeing with this approach, what changed is 9 more premier league points, which makes relegation significantly less likely (but not guaranteed).

Fundamentally, the clubÂ’s wage bill is too high. It will have a ratio of wages to turnover it is happy with. When we were doing well [Europe etc] are turnover increased due to more games and more games on tv etc. So we upped our spend. Unfortunately, we didnÂ’t maintain that level of performance, so our income dropped. This leave us with a higher than we are happy with, wages to turnover ratio.

Like or not, Hoedt, Forster, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Carillo represent a lot of money in both wages and amortisation (and I suspect we are clawing back at best, a very small proportion of the above expenditure through loan fees and wage contributions for these

Players). Until these players are gone from the club - we are unable to buy a lot.

Gao ainÂ’t putting money in. People can moan, say we need new owners etc. It doesnÂ’t change anything. This is where we are until the [very expensive] deadwood can be shifted. This summer is vital

Exactly, the only signings that have really been successful from the last 3 windows are Ings, Bednerak, and Armstrong, and the latter two were relatively cheap. Hopefully Djenepo will work out well as well and has certainly shown promise. Same with Adams not going to write him off yet and seems to be in Ralphs plan.

We are hamstrung by poor signings. Hoedt, Carrillo and Elyounoussi have pretty much been disasters, Lemina was decent but has a poor attitude, Forster was oddly given a new contract on high wages when he wasn't in great form and then continued to decline. Vestergaard has been average at best. Boufal has shown glimpses of talent but never nailed down a starting spot.

Those 6 players alone represent an outlay of nearly £100 million in transfer fees, but also add in Forster as well, we are probably looking at £450k a week in wages on 5 players that are out on loan and 2 players that are bit part.

That is the big problem, we have the transfer funds I reckon but not room on the wage budget. Those players out on loan are getting around £20 - 22 million a year, when our whole wage bill for the year is only around £50 million.

Hopefully with Cedric's wages going, Yoshida's wages going, maybe Long as well, that frees up some wages. Then Elynoussi and Forster doing well at Celtic should make them relatively easy to shift.

Hopefully clearing the deadwood this year should be a little easier.

Leicester still sniffing around Vestergaard. Saints supposedly ready to deal if they get back the £18m they spent on him.

Could only see it happening if Danso stays. We can't limp to the end of the season with three senior CBs.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Leicester still sniffing around Vestergaard. Saints supposedly ready to deal if they get back the £18m they spent on him.

Could only see it happening if Danso stays. We can't limp to the end of the season with three senior CBs.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I don't think we should put any scenario beyond possible. We've also had an incredibly low injury loss this year which you would think we would struggle to sustain till the end of the season.

I don't think we should put any scenario beyond possible. We've also had an incredibly low injury loss this year which you would think we would struggle to sustain till the end of the season.

They were talking about injuries on Totally Football a couple of weeks ago. Apparently Saints have one of the best medical set ups in the country and are very good at monitoring players so that they avoid muscle strains etc. They contrasted it with Man U and Rashford, as well as Pogba having his own people book an op. They said that Utd hadn't upgraded their Medical facilities since Fergie left.

Maybe it is not just luck.

They were talking about injuries on Totally Football a couple of weeks ago. Apparently Saints have one of the best medical set ups in the country and are very good at monitoring players so that they avoid muscle strains etc. They contrasted it with Man U and Rashford, as well as Pogba having his own people book an op. They said that Utd hadn't upgraded their Medical facilities since Fergie left.

It's not, look at Liverpool they have had very few injuries to their key players.

They don't even really have back up full backs, don;t have many centre-mid options and only have Origi and Shaqiri to cover the front 3, yet they are winning the PL at a canter, are in the Champions league and have played world club cup as well.

People making a massive fuss about our squad depth when we have just the PL and the FA Cup to play, yet we probably have as much depth (in relative quality) to Liverpool.

Man City have had only one left back for like the last two years and have had to play a midfielder there.

That's great to hear and long may it continue. Aside of strains etc which you mention there are the more serious types of injuries which we've fortunately avoided and these are often down to bad luck rather than the condition of the player. Anyway, it's been a fantastic year in that respect and thankfully so.

Bowen off to West Ham. Would be so funny if they went down. The sort of player we should have been in for to do his 2 season prep for Liverpool

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Think everyone outside of West Ham want them to go down. Instantly unlikeable club with the stadium deal & (entitled and lad-life) fanbase

What grade are we giving this window then? One out and one in.

5/10 - not positive, not negative.

shame really, when Ralph made the point several times that he wanted to add fullbackS to the squad

Edited by Batman

I'd say we've made par for this hole, along with most others who played this course. It wont put us top of the leader board but given that we were already 3 shots under, I can't see us dropping down the order on the back 9.

Hope Vestergaard leaves and we get a fee, getting him off the wage bill will further give us the needed flexibility to renew our team this summer.

Looks like Ryan Bennett of Wolves is on his way to Leicester which probably signals the end of any Vestergaard interest I would imagine.

A generous 2 / 10.

We’ve got a little bit of cover for LB but overall we’ve made our squad weaker.

Not sold on valery, especially in a back 4 and KWP couldn’t get a game ahead of aurier and various others at Tottenham... which is a worry.

I'd give us a 4 but it depends on how wp does. Soares leaving seemingly makes us weaker and disrupts the team that was on such a good run of form. I kind of understand it as he is leaving in the summer anyway but it really would have been better to keep him as we are left light still at the back.

I'd give us a 4 but it depends on how wp does. Soares leaving seemingly makes us weaker and disrupts the team that was on such a good run of form. I kind of understand it as he is leaving in the summer anyway but it really would have been better to keep him as we are left light still at the back.

Agree totally. WP could be a revelation, equally could flop. I'm a Cedric fan, but he was going to go anyway so perhaps it's not a bad thing to offload now. Jan windows are notoriously 'non events' in reality so it can only really be judged when we get to the end of the season and see where we are.

Excellent stuff. We're looking to bring in a kid at Chelsea who managed only 1 game on loan at struggling Tranmere in League 1. (Watch that come back to haunt me...:D)
Very weird, did much better in his previous loan apparently but still. And an attacking mid? Cover Armstrong maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

We are hamstrung by poor signings. Hoedt, Carrillo and Elyounoussi have pretty much been disasters, Lemina was decent but has a poor attitude, Forster was oddly given a new contract on high wages when he wasn't in great form and then continued to decline. Vestergaard has been average at best. Boufal has shown glimpses of talent but never nailed down a starting spot.

Elynoussi and Forster doing well at Celtic should make them relatively easy to shift.

WHY have these players been disasters? Almost everyone 2 months ago looked like a waste of money. Saints fans were willing to write off almost the whole team. Yet those same players are now on a run of form only bested by Scousampton! did we buy new players?? no! they were always good, but needed a coach that could elevate the team (Poch, RK and now RH). If you have a crap general, you will be massacared on the battle field! We could buy a $50mill or $100 milliion player and it still go wrong (Mancester Untited) without a coach to elevate the players and play. We now have a coach that can elevaate the whole team! he makes write offs look like winners again! I have seen so many palyers slagged off for not being good enough for Saints, yet they are proving many expert opinions on here that they are good enough!!

So why can't some of our recent loans come back and reinvigorate their career here with a coach who has a plan. Moi and Foster have shown they are good players (look at Celtics results). It backs up our original reason for buying them, but they came into a war with useless Generals, when RH came in they were shell shocked and lost all confidence (our fans just piled on the pressure). So as usual, I have a far more forgiving nature, far more respectful of these kids football ability (having played all my life) than mine! I have seen us malign Mane, JWP, Cedric, Ings, Obe, Bertrand, SD, Berdn etc. just to see them prove us wrong. Maybe we have a few of the outcast loans that can prove us wrong again!

I like sourcing players from the top 6 teams, especially Chelsea, but I mean the likes of Christensen, Batshuayi, Alonso etc. Second XIers, not unwanted ex-youth players! Is he better than Sims, Hesketh or Slattery that we've loaned out? Obviously someone at the club thinks so. All hail Jacob Maddox!

Well not knowing what he's like, I can only trust Ralph's judgement on this! Some minor excitement on deadline day too?

That is the big problem, we have the transfer funds I reckon but not room on the wage budget. Those players out on loan are getting around £20 - 22 million a year, when our whole wage bill for the year is only around £50 million.

Our wage bill is more than double that. Last accounts put it at £113m I think.