January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Yep he does sound decent but you never know. For that price it's worth it to avoid missing out in the summer.

Agree about January though. People demand signings, it's a poor market, we sign rubbish ones then can't afford to invest properly in the summers. Then people demand the same again.

Generally I'd rather we really think twice about big signings unless we're really sure they fit the system and what the manager wants. Yeah you can't get it right all the time but whoever watched Vesterguard should have known he was too slow to help us, simple as that.

Fans demand signings but ultimately we've had more success sticking with the likes of Long and JWP, letting Bedanrek and Stephens develop, waiting for Ings to come good and so on.

I think we can get through until summer and do it properly. We need a right back, centre back, CM and a wide attacker who can score a few. 4 big signings to come straight in the team, not signings for the future or back-up. But it'll take shifting Forster, Mo, Lemina, Carrillo, Boufal, Vesterguard, Hoedt, Cedric. Christ we've wasted some money.

You have been saying we need new players for some time now...

OK he's a little rumour from a source I have. Likely to be wrong but we all like a good rumour. So our interests apparently are in a cb we wanted in the summer but we wouldn't part with the cash, a striker banging them in in France (maybe for Lillie? Source couldn't remember.) and a rb. Apparently villa also after the striker, also told the Chinese bloke wants to sell and red bull have been sniffing around along with an American consortium.
Interesting. Linked with a forward from a French club whose scored a lot of goals and rumours of red bull sniffing around today. Looks like my source may have got some stuff right. Can I claim an itk badge yet?

Don't know if he's any good, but that's the type of player we need. Central striker who can score.

Worth noting that his team (Le Harve) are currently 7th in the French second tier, which is probably the equivalent of lower end League 1 / League 2 over here. Not saying he’s not any good (never heard of him!) just that he’s currently playing at a level lower than Adams was last year.

Worth noting that his team (Le Harve) are currently 7th in the French second tier, which is probably the equivalent of lower end League 1 / League 2 over here. Not saying he’s not any good (never heard of him!) just that he’s currently playing at a level lower than Adams was last year.

That was what they said about Mahrez

That was what they said about Mahrez

Agree they ve all got to start somewhere, however having seen videos of him ob youtube, whilst all his goals are good finished (17 goals including 6 penalties), there is next to no defending around him, he has all the space and time in the world that he wouldn t have here.

Can t really judge his general play he looks pacy on one of the first goals, he doesn t create himself any of the goals, they are all put on a plate for him or result of mistakes from defense.

So very hard to see what he can bring to the table and also do we need him? Not convinced.

The Lallana rumours are back! Some random twitter account saying he's joining us for free. Doesn't seem to be an even slightly credible source mind. Still, this link just isn't going to go away until he retires.

Lallana is on 110k a week wages

He is in the first team match squad of a team going for the premier league title for the first in 30 years and also going for the champions league again.

He also told me in the summer he is staying at Liverpool as Klopp has told him he is in his plans after returning from long term injury

Reads like clickbait - doesn't take long to find a "he might be signing for us" from an Everton perspective, too.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-transfer-blog-carlisle-price-17511606

In all honesty I can't say he looks like a priority for us being that he has only ever played a handful of matches in his entire career.

I'm sure he's great on MLG's little computer games but I'd like a transfer window with less potential and more experience this time.

The Lallana rumours are back! Some random twitter account saying he's joining us for free. Doesn't seem to be an even slightly credible source mind. Still, this link just isn't going to go away until he retires.

He’s never going to leave a club mid-season, a club looking set to win their first league title in decades, even if he doesn’t figure in many matches, even on the bench.

See that press inaccurate sensationalism and social media nonsense is at its best, reporting Ralph has been given a 30 million war chest. I think he’ll be going to war with one soldier! Hardly a warchest, more like the funds for one semi established PL player. Maehle could be a decent bargain if he proves adequate. If Bednarek & Stephens have formed a good bond, perhaps CB should be addressed in the summer and another full back acquired to back up Bertrand.

I see the Le Harve youngster mooted but that’s just yet another Saints rumour so I don’t pay much attention as there only tends to be one rumour genuine in about 60 under this current PR machine. Even if Tino Kadewere rumour had legs, it’s another lower French league gamble and at 23, If he had real quality, I think he would’ve been noticed by now unless he’s a late bloomer so it could be rumours purely trying to generate a PL sale.

I agree we don't need any panic buys but a few good results doesnt change the weakness in the squad.

The best time to strengthen is from a position of relative strength and we have that more now than probably at any stage in the last 2 years.

Our targets will have watched the Chelsea and Spurs games and probably feel better about joining us than they did in November.

Ralph knows where we need to improve, the club know - and you can't stand still in the PL, its akin to going backwards.

Good point and some rare logic. Best time to strengthen is now for the key areas as well mentioned. When you’re in a better position, easier to attract players & we would’ve struggled to attract anyone before Christmas but we have just had the best Christmas period I can remember (it’s so bloody tight points wise) and I’m astonished and proud of whoever is responsible as they have been clearly working hard from a defensive POV coach and special credit to Stephens who’s improved massively. His crossfield ball to find Ings was top drawer & didn’t draw enough praise (in the goal against Tottenham) plus he added a further assist some matches previous. Credit where it’s due. It will help in the meantime but we still need serious quality added to our defence.

Reads like clickbait - doesn't take long to find a "he might be signing for us" from an Everton perspective, too.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-transfer-blog-carlisle-price-17511606

In all honesty I can't say he looks like a priority for us being that he has only ever played a handful of matches in his entire career.

I'm sure he's great on MLG's little computer games but I'd like a transfer window with less potential and more experience this time.

Highly unlikely as that would use up our entire budget if the rumoured *cough* 30 million “war chest” is to be considered accurate in this modern day of information overload and misinformation warfare. Unusual to read a condescending and patronising tone in your previous response.

Everton just about to (or just have) announce record losses. Why anyone thought that their new "billionaire" owner was going to shower them with endless amounts of money to compete with the likes of Man City, is somewhat of a mystery.

Their new owner will be 'showering them with money' to cover the record losses and keep them going. They might not be in the Man City bracket but their owners are funding their spending as it is in excess of their income.

Everton just about to (or just have) announce record losses. Why anyone thought that their new "billionaire" owner was going to shower them with endless amounts of money to compete with the likes of Man City, is somewhat of a mystery.

He has showered them with money. Hence the losses.

What are PL sanctions for breaking FFP, or aren't there any?

There were some regulations set around not posting a loss in excess of £105million, and limiting wage budget increases unless there was additional funding from 'new' commercial activities, but these were scrapped in the summer of 2019.

Didn't Ralph say he wanted one transfer in early or am I imagining that? For £7.5 million and with Palace sniffing around, I'm surprised Maehle hadn't been put on the first place to Heathrow on NYD!
He said he hoped that would be the case.

From any player and selling club's perspective there is no need to rush. They are bound to see whats happening in the market and how that affects different opportunities.

Likewise for Saints, we are probably in talks for 3 or 4 players for the same position, and will have a priority order - possibly needing to wait in order to get someone higher up that order.

Recent results and a settled team selection definitely reduce the urgency for us.

If we signed someone today they won't start at Leicester anyway, and probably not against Wolves.

As with every window, most deals will be done in the final week.

The saints twitter account has just uploaded a video of them muting the phrase "Welcome to Liverpool" with the caption "getting ready for the week ahead". Assuming that means we've got a signing lined up for the week

actually ignore this, it looks like it was about the 9-0 scoreline in the build up to leicester next sat

He said he hoped that would be the case.

From any player and selling club's perspective there is no need to rush. They are bound to see whats happening in the market and how that affects different opportunities.

Likewise for Saints, we are probably in talks for 3 or 4 players for the same position, and will have a priority order - possibly needing to wait in order to get someone higher up that order.

Recent results and a settled team selection definitely reduce the urgency for us.

If we signed someone today they won't start at Leicester anyway, and probably not against Wolves.

As with every window, most deals will be done in the final week.

As as with ever window, Saints will over promise and under deliver.

As as with ever window, Saints will over promise and under deliver.

When have Saints ever promised anything? Most of the disappointment I’ve seen in January has come from people dreaming that we’re going to sell about five surplus players and bring in three.

When have Saints ever promised anything? Most of the disappointment I’ve seen in January has come from people dreaming that we’re going to sell about five surplus players and bring in three.

Every window for the past 3 or 4 years we’ve leaked stories to the press about interest in players. ‘ITK’s’ stating were in for x, y & z... come the end of the window we end up with a Danso or Carrillo.

Every window for the past 3 or 4 years we’ve leaked stories to the press about interest in players. ‘ITK’s’ stating were in for x, y & z... come the end of the window we end up with a Danso or Carrillo.
Yep. Best not to listen to any press stories. I think we will get a rb in that can cover cb maybe and tbf most other stuff can wait until the summer. Cm would be nice but not essential.