January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

What does that mean? I don't know what people expect anyone to do. You want a better owner. I want a better owner, I'm sure most fans do. It's completely out of our control.

He doesn't seem that interested and either doesn't have the money or doesn't want to spend much so we're self sufficient. If we hadn't thrown money away on rubbish signings we'd still have some funds.

Just have to accept it until we ship out the failed players and/or someone else wants to buy the club. But that's probably more likely if we get relegated and are suddenly a cheaper investment with potential to increase. We got fairly lucky last time, but the owners got a great deal buying at that time. We aren't a great deal now.

I quite simply expect the club to put up, or shut up. Don’t peddle the manager out to assure fans as to the transfer intentions of this prevaricating club then go full circle and crush our small sense of optimism. They will eventually crush Ralph’s (likely) diminishing level of patience and then the sh*t will really hit the fan.

You can’t juggle with your arms tied behind your back.

Why does it have to be spend loads like WHU or Everton? How about just similar to Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton, Watford, Newcastle

They all have out spent us last 5-6 years. Everyone has

Everyone has outspent us, we are the only club to make a profit from transfers in the last 5 years, but don't forget unlike all the other clubs you mention we have to bonuses, NI contributions, Agent fees and running costs.

Outspending doesn't necessarily mean success. I wonder if those carrying on about not spending big would be happy if our debt equalled Evertons. I get as excited as everyone else with big signings but too much of our recent past is spending unwisely....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I don't think a single person has argued that.

Oh I'm sorry I forgot we have a mini Einstein on the forum. His link to Everton having a big debt has zero relevance to saints being the only team to make a profit in the transfer window over the last five years.

FFS. You're becoming more obtuse by the day. People are calling for lots of spending. Everton have spend lots and are in debt. They also have a **** team. Lots of spending doesn't equal success, and can equal lots of debt.

FFS. You're becoming more obtuse by the day. People are calling for lots of spending. Everton have spend lots and are in debt. They also have a **** team. Lots of spending doesn't equal success, and can equal lots of debt.

maybe, we should spend less?

No evidence people are calling for "lots" of spending (which is a subjective value anyway), simply stating a fact that we have the lowest net spend over the last five years and the only team to make a profit from transfers. Given the glaring weaknesses in the squad, its not unreasonable for supporters to expect reasonable purchases to plug the gaps. Trotting out a club losing hundreds of millions as if that's what the supporters are asking for is ridiculous.

People are asking that we match Bournemouth and Brighton. Big difference

People are asking that we match Bournemouth and Brighton. Big difference

And that makes a point. Bournemouth have spent a fortune and look where they are. Everton have spent a fortune and look where they are, and the debt they're in. We've spent a fortune and look where those players are - on loan or out of the squad mostly. Spending has not been our issue as such, it's recruitment.

I get we all want success, but pointing to the likes of Bournemouth as evidence that chucking cash around leads to success is laughable.

And that makes a point. Bournemouth have spent a fortune and look where they are. Everton have spent a fortune and look where they are, and the debt they're in. We've spent a fortune and look where those players are - on loan or out of the squad mostly. Spending has not been our issue as such, it's recruitment.

I get we all want success, but pointing to the likes of Bournemouth as evidence that chucking cash around leads to success is laughable.

we could spend more, add desperately needed quality to the squad and still be classed as 'tight as a nuns chuff' for a premier league club....which would be nice (for some)

Bournemouth and Everton have both finished above us last few seasons

we could spend more, add desperately needed quality to the squad and still be classed as 'tight as a nuns chuff' for a premier league club....which would be nice (for some)

We could spend more, but I've asked this before and "the just spend money ffs, cos that guarantees success brigade", ie people like you, ignore the question. If you were Gao or his advisors, in the light of our recent transfer disasters, would you really permit the club to spend monies to sign the next Hoedt, Carrillo, Elyounisi, Vestergaard, Adams, Gunn, etc? Really? Everyone single one of those will lose the club millions.

We could spend more, but I've asked this before and "the just spend money ffs, cos that guarantees success brigade", ie people like you, ignore the question. If you were Gao or his advisors, in the light of our recent transfer disasters, would you really permit the club to spend monies to sign the next Hoedt, Carrillo, Elyounisi, Vestergaard, Adams, Gunn, etc? Really? Everyone single one of those will lose the club millions.

you have just made that up....sad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51114007

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17475320.southampton-football-clubs-accounts-for-the-year-ending-june-2018-are-released/

Whereas we’ve made a £78m pre tax profit last two accounting years but need to sell to buy players the only club that has to do so.

Outspending doesn't necessarily mean success. I wonder if those carrying on about not spending big would be happy if our debt equalled Evertons. I get as excited as everyone else with big signings but too much of our recent past is spending unwisely....

Why does it have to be that extreme? Why can’t we compete with Watford, Crystal Palace, Brighton and Bournemouth in the transfer market?

The people who signed those players have all gone. The people running the club now are there, you would hope, with Goas approval, if not what’s he doing as he’s been here two and half years. So if that’s the case the question is does he trust them or not? Or maybe we should never sign anyone in case they don’t work out.

Mike Ashley have spent £120m than Newcastle have made from sales in the same period we’ve made a profit yet he’s hated by Newcastle fans. our lot say that Goa is right we shouldn’t sign anyone else as the last few didn’t work out.

Mike Ashley have spent £120m than Newcastle have made from sales in the same period we’ve made a profit yet he’s hated by Newcastle fans. our lot say that Goa is right we shouldn’t sign anyone else as the last few didn’t work out.
Which of "our lot" said that?

Read eggs post a few up about if you were Goas advisors would you advise him to spend money considering how bad some of the others have been.
So you interpret that remark as "our lot say that Goa is right we shouldn’t sign anyone else as the last few didn’t work out?"

Behave. I've not read one comment which addresses why Gao, based on our recent transfers, would feel encouraged to throw tens of millions on signings.

If Goa thinks you can run a football club and never spend any money because some of the signings made previously haven't worked out then we are f*cked.

I was thinking about this earlier, how many clubs actually have owners putting investment in? I am not really sure.

I am not really sure on teams like Brighton, Wolves, and Sheff Utd. Wolves have the link with the agent so it's interesting how much money the owner is putting in. I know Brighton got money from their owner for their stadium and stuff but whether he puts money in for signings it doesn't look like it and I think Sheff Utd don't either and have an ownership dispute.

Sheffield United have managed to sign one and are now looking at a second and Wilder wants to bolster their defence which is a lot more than we have done so it is actually possible. you just have to want to.

I quote “But with Wilder looking to bolster his defensive options for the second-half of the campaign, United would be willing to pay a fee to secure his immediate release rather than wait until the summer”.

If only we could follow that (logical) mentality, wanting to improve rather than make do. I also believe our need to sign full backs is way greater than Sheffield United but don’t let that stop you.

Sheffield United have managed to sign one and are now looking at a second and Wilder wants to bolster their defence which is a lot more than we have done so it is actually possible. you just have to want to.

I quote “But with Wilder looking to bolster his defensive options for the second-half of the campaign, United would be willing to pay a fee to secure his immediate release rather than wait until the summer”.

If only we could follow that (logical) mentality, wanting to improve rather than make do. I also believe our need to sign full backs is way greater than Sheffield United but don’t let that stop you.

apparently, signing players better than Stephens and Bednarek are well out of our price range....

Why does it have to be that extreme? Why can’t we compete with Watford, Crystal Palace, Brighton and Bournemouth in the transfer market?

According to these figures from earlier this year, all but one of those clubs have a lower wage bill and all have more debt

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

The way we’re run now isn’t much different than how Lowe ran it.

Absolute minimum investment and hope to finish above the bottom 3.

Still, at least Kat got her money.

Difference was Lowe at least had shareholders he had to report to and explain his actions, however far fetched or ridiculous they may have sounded.

This Gao fella answers to absolutely nobody.

Wages only 53% of turnover compared to our 75%, £144m loans owed to Ashley

According to these figures from earlier this year, all but one of those clubs have a lower wage bill and all have more debt

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

So we aren’t being well run then. If we genuinely do have to sale to buy given the premier League income then we have been run absolutely shambolically. All the back slapping of the last 6 years of our brilliant corporate governance, sustainability, well run club is utter lies. It’s been a shambles.

The way we’re run now isn’t much different than how Lowe ran it.

Absolute minimum investment and hope to finish above the bottom 3.

Still, at least Kat got her money.

The only positive if that he's yet to oversee crazy appointments like Wigley, Gray, Portvliet, Clifford, Woodward, etc. He seems happy to leave that stuff to other people.

The only positive if that he's yet to oversee crazy appointments like Wigley, Gray, Portvliet, Clifford, Woodward, etc. He seems happy to leave that stuff to other people.

Reed got a similar arrogance and complacency, thinking they’d found the magic formula only for it all to go very wrong. We also ended up with a massive squad full of crap players.