January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Yet again we end up weaker in January despite Ralph’s previous insistence that we would be proactive. Disappointing as it’s the first time in a long while we could operate from a position of relative strength in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're only weaker if a) KWP is worse than Cedric or b) we suffer injuries or suspensions to enough CB's to miss Yoshida.

I'd certainly say we are weaker now than we were at the start of the window, personally I'd rather keep Cedric than loan Walker Peters.

I understand why there isn't any money to spend when you look at the amount wasted in past windows plus the number of high earners we are still paying whilst they are out on loan.

Well, as things stand we have no right-backs for the next two games, and our back-up CB’s are Vestergaard and Danso, both completely hopeless.

I’d say that’s a pretty bad place to be.

We could have been pushing for Europe, but the last few days have scuppered that.

Lol

Blimey there is some mass hysteria on here...

We're sensibly letting Yoshida go, we've replaced a bang average Cedric with KWP a player who is no worse, is young and has some potential and we've let some youngsters go on loan. There is no good business to be done in January unless we want to pay through the nose.

We've set ourselves up nicely for a decent summer window.

Now I'm not saying the summer will be decent, but I don't think the club have got much wrong this window. I've previously been very critical of our transfer business, but credit where it is due

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Agree with this, we are slowly clearing the dead wood. Saving a few million quid which ultimately can be used for new signings. Ralph is building a squad and the relative safety we find ourselves in allows us to clear a few early.

Well, as things stand we have no right-backs for the next two games, and our back-up CB’s are Vestergaard and Danso, both completely hopeless.

We could have been pushing for Europe, but the last few days have scuppered that.

We finished sixth in the League with Yoshi and Gardos as back up CBs and Cuco Martina as back-up RB. We’re no worse off than that now.

Getting rid of Yoshida and Cedric has scuppered that? Dont say we could have signed a few either because who was actually available? The only players moving this window who I think would have been realistic for us and good signings were Bowen and Berge. The rest of the window has been garbage for signings

In regard to against our business model it’s been top draw. 10/10

Two big earners gone, one in probably on a lot less. We just to need to scrape a few wins which we should be able to do and irs another season of success staying up spending as little as possible.

It is back to the days of Rupert Lowe. That ended well.

Don't get the reaction on here to Yoshida leaving.

We only need 4 CBs, not 5. Yoshida has played 5mins in the PL since October, during the busiest time of the season.

He was absolutely woeful vs Leicester, one of the worst individual performances I have ever seen in a Saints shirt.

His contract is up at the end of the season and clearly isn't going to be extended.

We will not need to rotate before the end of the season and he is 4th choice CB. All it means is now Danso is 4th choice CB for the 14 league games we have left.

Don't get the reaction on here to Yoshida leaving.

We only need 4 CBs, not 5. Yoshida has played 5mins in the PL since October, during the busiest time of the season.

He was absolutely woeful vs Leicester, one of the worst individual performances I have ever seen in a Saints shirt.

His contract is up at the end of the season and clearly isn't going to be extended.

We will not need to rotate before the end of the season and he is 4th choice CB. All it means is now Danso is 4th choice CB for the 14 league games we have left.

You are assuming that neither Bednarek nor Stephens become unavailable for any reason. We have no credible back-up option for either of them.

You are assuming that neither Bednarek nor Stephens become unavailable for any reason. We have no credible back-up option for either of them.
I am assuming that the backup for Bednarek and Stephens is Vestergaard and then Danso.

Which it is.

You can question the quality of the backup, but this season Yoshida was as poor as the other two so it makes little difference, especially as Ralph saw Vestergaard ahead of Yoshida anyway.

I’m not sure how good you expect Southampton reserve CBs to be.

Our first season up we finished 14th, our reserves were Hooiveld and Seaborne.

Before that we finished 8th and got to a cup final with Higginbotham and Paul Williams.

Our best season ever we had Yoshida and Gardos.

Now I fully agree we need to be looking at a first choice CB in summer but there are precious few of them lying around in January.

Why has it become a Saintsweb truth that Ralph wanted to strengthen the FB positions? He said so earlier this month but he did downgrade the statement again in his press conference on the 16th:

On transfers…

“It’s not long ago that I said it’s important to bring somebody in, but the way the team has played in the last weeks, I wouldn’t say it’s changed my mind, but we have to be very careful with what we do.

“We have to think about how we do it because I think the team deserves credit for the very good job they are doing.

“Also, the young guys who we gave a chance to in the FA Cup showed that their development has gone quicker than we thought.

“If we bring somebody in, then we must be sure it won’t block their development because this is the main way we want to go in Southampton. We want to develop the young players.

“We don’t do anything just because we have to do something. When we want to bring a player in then it really has to make sense."

Hey guys, first time poster!

I must say I am happy with the clubs transfer window, because I feel as though now we have a very clear best XI and second XI, with many youngsters waiting in the wings for an opportunity. That opportunity is no more than an injury away.

McCarthy--Gunn

Bertrand--Vokins

Bednarek--Vestergaard

Stephens--Danso

Walker-Peters--Valery

Hojberg--Romeu

Ward-Prowse--Smallbone

Redmond--Boufal

Armstrong--Djenepo

Ings--Adams

Long--Obafemi

Also good is that many of this core are young and still have more development left in them. I see the XI this week being the first XI with Djenepo and Valery coming in for Armstrong and Walker-Peters who are unavailable. Exciting times in my opinion!

Will also add we need to only play Danso at CB because that is his position.

Not a great window for me but not awful either at least we haven't smashed our transfer record for an obviously crap player this year, would have liked to see us strengthen more but that is always the case. Those leaving are good but not outstanding players at the end of there contracts so it makes sense will miss Yoshida just because he was a part of our early success when we returned to the prem and not many of those players are left!

Fingers crossed we will have some more budget available in the summer when better players are also available.

I must say I am happy with the clubs transfer window, because I feel as though now we have a very clear best XI and second XI, with many youngsters waiting in the wings for an opportunity. That opportunity is no more than an injury away.

McCarthy--Gunn

Bertrand--Vokins

Bednarek--Vestergaard

Stephens--Danso

Walker-Peters--Valery

Hojberg--Romeu

Ward-Prowse--Smallbone

Redmond--Boufal

Armstrong--Djenepo

Ings--Adams

Long--Obafemi

Also good is that many of this core are young and still have more development left in them. I see the XI this week being the first XI with Djenepo and Valery coming in for Armstrong and Walker-Peters who are unavailable. Exciting times in my opinion!

Pretty much agree. Wouldn't have swapped Cedric for KWP though. We look weaker at rb than before the window.

I like Yoshida but i would rather have a 21 year old 4th central defender then an 31 year old.

Better to give Vokins a chanse then to buy a new 2nd LB for a bunch of millions.

Pretty much agree. Wouldn't have swapped Cedric for KWP though. We look weaker at rb than before the window.

I like Yoshida but i would rather have a 21 year old 4th central defender then an 31 year old.

Better to give Vokins a chanse then to buy a new 2nd LB for a bunch of millions.

Agree about Cedric, although he was going to leave in the summer whatever I'd rather have kept him for the remainder of the season. A couple of places higher in the league, or a stage further in the FA Cup would have justified his salary for the next few months.

As for the Central Defence, I'd rather have a capable when called upon 3rd and 4th choice irrespective of age. Imagine going into the FA Cup semi-final with Stephens injured, and Bednarek suspended. That'll leave us with Vestergaard and who ? Danso?

As for LB should be looking for a player capable of first choice rather than a fill in.

String a few results together and the board take it as an opportunity to put the cheque book back in their pocket. The sooner we can shake off this chinese owner and his hopeless CEO the better.

As we're probably run by the Chinese Government :p they have more pressing needs for their funds right now.

I think it was going to be more of a credit card than a cheque book Morse. My guess is the books balance at the moment, but with the genuine threat of relegation the owner decided the club would spend money it did not have to reduce the risk of that happening. With the risk of relegation diminished, we returned to our original budgetary plans - spend what you bring in, no loans and no rising debt.

Edited by Chez

McCarthy--Gunn

Bertrand--Vokins

Bednarek--Vestergaard

Stephens--Danso

Walker-Peters--Valery

Hojberg--Romeu

Ward-Prowse--Smallbone

Redmond--Boufal

Armstrong--Djenepo

Ings--Adams

Long--Obafemi

Welcome back to the club Mr Croker ;)

McCarthy--Gunn

Bertrand--Vokins

Bednarek--Vestergaard

Stephens--Danso

Walker-Peters--Valery

Hojberg--Romeu

Ward-Prowse--Smallbone

Redmond--Boufal

Armstrong--Djenepo

Ings--Adams

Long--Obafemi

Vokins not sure if good enough, same with vestergaard and I'd maybe prefer an improvement on bednarek. Danso no idea if good enough not promising so far, let's wait and see on walker Peters but I'm definitely not sure about Valery.

The defence clearly needs strengthening still but we will see in the summer I suppose.

McCarthy--Gunn

Bertrand--Vokins

Bednarek--Vestergaard

Stephens--Danso

Walker-Peters--Valery

Hojberg--Romeu

Ward-Prowse--Smallbone

Redmond--Boufal

Armstrong--Djenepo

Ings--Adams

Long--Obafemi

Hey Tommy and welcome. This is a surprisingly optimistic post. We will soon knock that out of you!

Vokins not sure if good enough, same with vestergaard and I'd maybe prefer an improvement on bednarek. Danso no idea if good enough not promising so far, let's wait and see on walker Peters but I'm definitely not sure about Valery.

The defence clearly needs strengthening still but we will see in the summer I suppose.

It needed strengthening last summer too and nothing happened.

Why has it become a Saintsweb truth that Ralph wanted to strengthen the FB positions? He said so earlier this month but he did downgrade the statement again in his press conference on the 16th:

On transfers…

“It’s not long ago that I said it’s important to bring somebody in, but the way the team has played in the last weeks, I wouldn’t say it’s changed my mind, but we have to be very careful with what we do.

“We have to think about how we do it because I think the team deserves credit for the very good job they are doing.

“Also, the young guys who we gave a chance to in the FA Cup showed that their development has gone quicker than we thought.

“If we bring somebody in, then we must be sure it won’t block their development because this is the main way we want to go in Southampton. We want to develop the young players.

“We don’t do anything just because we have to do something. When we want to bring a player in then it really has to make sense."

Very true but many here don't want to hear that inconvenient truth.

They somehow expect the club to go spend £30 million in the window on some random foreign player, even when January is notoriously not a good time to recruit, when barely anyone else has bought quality defenders, when we already have a load of flop big name signings crippling the wage bill.

The fuss being made about Yoshida is kind of baffling as well, its like people have forgotten his performances this season and that is why he has barely played since the 9-0, because he is simply not good enough for the league anymore and wasn't in Ralph's plans.

Very true but many here don't want to hear that inconvenient truth.

They somehow expect the club to go spend £30 million in the window on some random foreign player, even when January is notoriously not a good time to recruit, when barely anyone else has bought quality defenders, when we already have a load of flop big name signings crippling the wage bill.

The fuss being made about Yoshida is kind of baffling as well, its like people have forgotten his performances this season and that is why he has barely played since the 9-0, because he is simply not good enough for the league anymore and wasn't in Ralph's plans.

What is an inconvenient truth some don’t want to hear is that Hasenhuttl has been here three transfer windows and we’ve failed him in all of them

Jan 2019 “we will look for one transfer in”

Summer 2019 “wasn’t perfect”

January 2020 “absolutely vital we do something”

Each time when the window is closing or shut he’s then said he was okay with it all and you lot make out everything is brilliant and he never said anything of the sort.:mcinnes::lol:

What is an inconvenient truth some don’t want to hear is that Hasenhuttl has been here three transfer windows and we’ve failed him in all of them

Jan 2019 “we will look for one transfer in”

Summer 2019 “wasn’t perfect”

January 2020 “absolutely vital we do something”

Each time when the window is closing or shut he’s then said he was okay with it all and you lot make out everything is brilliant and he never said anything of the sort.:mcinnes::lol:

We have **** loads of **** players on expensive contracts. That any sensibly run club needs to shift those players before signing others on expensive contracts is obvious.

When Ralph says that a window wasn't perfect, he's undoubtedly talking about us not shifting players as much as not signing.

I'm just pleased that Ralph seems to be more realistic than many on this forum.

We have **** loads of **** players on expensive contracts. That any sensibly run club needs to shift those players before signing others on expensive contracts is obvious.

When Ralph says that a window wasn't perfect, he's undoubtedly talking about us not shifting players as much as not signing.

I'm just pleased that Ralph seems to be more realistic than many on this forum.

I would say as he said the window wasn’t perfect and we definitely need to bring players in it’s far more likely he’s talking about failing to recruit. He doesn’t even mention selling players. Again it’s nothing about fans being realistic, Ralph said we need players, we haven’t delivered them. Those are the facts pal, just because you don’t like the, doesn’t make fans that point them out unrealistic.

I would say as he said the window wasn’t perfect and we definitely need to bring players in it’s far more likely he’s talking about failing to recruit. He doesn’t even mention selling players. Again it’s nothing about fans being realistic, Ralph said we need players, we haven’t delivered them. Those are the facts pal, just because you don’t like the, doesn’t make fans that point them out unrealistic.

You focus on his first comments re full backs this window. Read his second and most recent interview. He has Valery returning to fitness. He has Bertrand. He has KWP as cover on both sides. Its unrealistic to expect more than that as a) we don't need it b) the Jan window is daft and c) we have loads of **** players still under contract.

What more do we need for this season?Where are we without cover?

This thread sums up the direction SaintsWeb has taken the past 3-4 years and illustrates how disconnected this forum is now to the fanbase.

Speaking to other fans, looking on social media platforms + other outlets and the mood is one of frustration. Annoyed that another window has passed and we have failed to improve the squad or back Ralph AGAIN

On here now it's now frowned upon to be a passionate fan. Posts moved, posters banned - it's just left it heavy with the same 8-10 "fans" posting SFC apologies and moderators supporting the stance that everything is rainbow and just happy to have a club.

This forum no longer represents the general fans opinion and that's sad.

This thread sums up the direction SaintsWeb has taken the past 3-4 years and illustrates how disconnected this forum is now to the fanbase.

Speaking to other fans, looking on social media platforms + other outlets and the mood is one of frustration. Annoyed that another window has passed and we have failed to improve the squad or back Ralph AGAIN

On here now it's now frowned upon to be a passionate fan. Posts moved, posters banned - it's just left it heavy with the same 8-10 "fans" posting SFC apologies and moderators supporting the stance that everything is rainbow and just happy to have a club.

This forum no longer represents the general fans opinion and that's sad.

There is nothing wrong with being passionate. I want our club and team to improve as much as the next man, but that doesn't mean that I have to be deluded and unrealistic.

I'll ask you the same questions as the uber passionate fans ignore - What more do we need for this season?Where are we without cover?

You focus on his first comments re full backs this window. Read his second and most recent interview. He has Valery returning to fitness. He has Bertrand. He has KWP as cover on both sides. Its unrealistic to expect more than that as a) we don't need it b) the Jan window is daft and c) we have loads of **** players still under contract.

What more do we need for this season?Where are we without cover?

Funnily enough everything changed after the Huddersfield game, which by an amazing coincidence was shortly after we’d missed out on a couple of targets. We went from the window being “vital” “must do something” to it not being that important at all because vokins, a player Ralph has seen every day for 18 months,played well against a championship team that barely got out of their own half. Maybe like in last January and the summer he had resigned himself to being let down again and just playing the PR game, perhaps.

There is nothing wrong with being passionate. I want our club and team to improve as much as the next man, but that doesn't mean that I have to be deluded and unrealistic.

I'll ask you the same questions as the uber passionate fans ignore - What more do we need for this season?Where are we without cover?

Why is it unrealistic to quote what the manager has said on several occasions and point out it hasn’t happened?

Why is it unrealistic to point out that we are the only club that has to sell to buy players and has made a profit from transfers?

Why is it unrealistic to point out that our record transfer fee is the 3rd lowest of all current premier league clubs?

Why is it unrealistic that having been in the premier league for 7 years we should be able to spend more than Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, crystal palace and Newcastle?

Why is it unrealistic to suggest that the fact that with all of the above being true the mantra “we’re a well run club” simply isn’t true?

Funnily enough everything changed after the Huddersfield game, which by an amazing coincidence was shortly after we’d missed out on a couple of targets. We went from the window being “vital” “must do something” to it not being that important at all because vokins, a player Ralph has seen every day for 18 months,played well against a championship team that barely got out of their own half. Maybe like in last January and the summer he had resigned himself to being let down again and just playing the PR game, perhaps.

Who knows. But your point was that Ralph had been let down but based on what he has said, that's wrong. No disrespect, but what you or me would like in an ideal world is irrelevant. The truth is we have cover all across the pitch, and Ralph HAS NOT said that he wanted or needed more.

That's the difference with me and you I guess.

While you look to stay up and what more do we need to do that...

Im looking at the potential to kick on. Add a couple and have a go at the top 6 THIS SEASON

Our form has been great and we are just 3 points off the top 5.

Why couldn't we look forward and go for success rather than looking back or sideways to just stay up?

Why is it unrealistic to quote what the manager has said on several occasions and point out it hasn’t happened?

Why is it unrealistic to point out that we are the only club that has to sell to buy players and has made a profit from transfers?

Why is it unrealistic to point out that our record transfer fee is the 3rd lowest of all current premier league clubs?

Why is it unrealistic that having been in the premier league for 7 years we should be able to spend more than Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, crystal palace and Newcastle?

Why is it unrealistic to suggest that the fact that with all of the above being true the mantra “we’re a well run club” simply isn’t true?

Del, I fear that you've developed an "I want another, and much bigger pony cos she's got one" syndrome. Needs/wants/entitlement have become confused. Our manager publicly revised what he felt that he needed. I'm not about to second guess or doubt him, but if you think you're judgement is better and/or he's lying to us all, that's a matter for you pal.

Who knows. But your point was that Ralph had been let down but based on what he has said, that's wrong. No disrespect, but what you or me would like in an ideal world is irrelevant. The truth is we have cover all across the pitch, and Ralph HAS NOT said that he wanted or needed more.

Well he’s been here three windows, during each window he’s said he wants to bring players in and then at the end of it he’s said he’s content after it hasn’t happened, call me cynical but I would say he’s just toeing the line. I’m not really sure how things can change so dramatically based on a home win against a crap championship team.

Del, I fear that you've developed an "I want another, and much bigger pony cos she's got one" syndrome. Needs/wants/entitlement have become confused. Our manager publicly revised what he felt that he needed. I'm not about to second guess or doubt him, but if you think you're judgement is better and/or he's lying to us all, that's a matter for you pal.

Except that nobody else has actually got a pony. All those teams down the bottom with problems and all these great players available at knock down prices. I mean Villa have the worst defence in the league and didn’t sign one of these top class centre halves they’re selling down Poundland. Bournemouth can’t score for toffee and they have gone and bought a 20 goal a season striker.

It’s almost as if 2/3 of the league wants to get relegated. Such a shame there’s only 3 places.

I haven’t developed that at all. I’m very realistic in that I we don’t have pots of money but I find it incomprehensible that we’ve gone into a transfer window saying we need to strengthen the defence and come out if weaker. I find it incomprehensible that we can’t compete with clubs like Brighton and Bournemouth in the transfer market when we’ve been in the premier league far longer and only ever spent what we’ve earned from player sales. And most of all I find it incredible that people who defend the club put the reason for this down to us having a lot of crap players on big contracts and insist we’re a well run club with a sustainable model. It simply isn’t the case.

I think there will be a definite split in results if people were asked to rate the window. For me I'm disappointed to see two senior players go and only one young guy come in, but as it seems that the club's primary objective this season is safety (either that or they think what we have is good enough for Europe), and we will almost certainly achieve that, then getting big wages off the bill now may give us more budget in the summer. I do think it's a shame that we haven't signed players to push on, but as Ralph said it's not a good time of the year to source players at reasonable prices. KWP is the unknown factor. He could be crap, he could be great. But Cedric has one assist all season and no goals, so attacking wise maybe he's better. We'll see...

Is there a chance that the January window could be gotten rid of one day? I liked the days when you could sign players whenever (Berkovic/Ostenstadt/Lundekvam stick out) but I guess these days you'd have City buying the League every year. Maybe what you have in September is what you have all season?