January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

1) I'm puzzled how a disgraceful for 3/4 of the season team can have 31 points and be 9th?

2) It isn't a weak squad, now playing in a system and formation that suits them they have a good chance of a top half finish

3) Sure some extra quality players would be nice. But getting the new recruitment man as the club have said will arrive in the summer is key to any future transfer strategy. Spending money before he arrived and in an inflated January market isn't a good idea

I’ll solve that puzzle for you...

1) if it hadn’t been for a freak run over the past month, we’d be 10-16 points worse off and bottom of the table. Or are you suggesting that the first half of this season has been acceptable?

2) The squad is weak. A strong squad doesn’t lose 9-0

3) Agree about not overspending in Jan. but don’t make your squad weaker.

I’ll solve that puzzle for you...

1) if it hadn’t been for a freak run over the past month, we’d be 10-16 points worse off and bottom of the table. Or are you suggesting that the first half of this season has been acceptable?

2) The squad is weak. A strong squad doesn’t lose 9-0

3) Agree about not overspending in Jan. but don’t make your squad weaker.

A run of good results is 'freak'

A run of losses is a **** team and a weak squad

I thought you were one of the more sensible ones

He's got a point. We couldn't have planned for Ings going on a best-in-career scoring streak, and if you take away even a couple of his goals over the run, we're probably six points worse off and dicing it down with Villa.

We've put in some fantastic team performances recently, but Ings' form and fitness have been miraculous.

A philosophical question....

If an ITK says we're trying to sign a certain player and then the transfer falls through, is he or is he not an ITK?

Ha!! According to established forum law, he'd be a liar and/or skate. On a related theme, if a player rejects us and/or a terms can't be agreed, then the club and its staff are useless.

It’s been much more than a run of losses. We’ve been on the decline for 3 or 4 seasons. A freak run is probably unfair, but Our form throughout December and January was out of the norm. We’ve been fantastic, players who are below average have played out of their skin (Stephens). Players who usually get injured 4 times a season have come through unscathed (ings). And As well as we’ve played, we’ve had a slice of luck... and long may it continue.

We currently have a squad of 10 or 11 players who are massively overachieving and a very very good manager. That’s not sustainable however you dress it up.

Reality is, if we want to remain a top table team, we need to improve on 3 or 4 positions and that’s not taking into consideration anyone we may lose.

He's got a point. We couldn't have planned for Ings going on a best-in-career scoring streak, and if you take away even a couple of his goals over the run, we're probably six points worse off and dicing it down with Villa.

We've put in some fantastic team performances recently, but Ings' form and fitness have been miraculous.

take away his goal against Watford (which should have been ruled out for handball..) then I doubt Ralph would still be here

Saints continue to be the net spend Champions again. I feel sorry for Ralph who really could get Saints to challenge for Europe if he was backed by the board with transfers. Saints Might be safe from relegation this season but if the lack of investment and ambition continues Saints will soon be in trouble again.

Anyway, given we wanted EXTRA full backs and currently will be 1 in 1 out...is there ANY chance we'll sign another by the weekend???

Any ITKs?

I don't doubt we'd stupid enough to not make a proper signing, I'm just hoping I'm wrong and we'll get someone else too. KWP plus an extra full back is a decent enough window.

Losing Cedric and gaining someone inexperienced who might not even be more than a short term loan? That's a poor window.

I can’t see us bringing in another fullback over the heads of kwp and Valery especially given the big deal made about kwp also being able to play left back.

Personally i’d Like to see a loan cm if there’s going to be anyone else.

Perhaps Valery's return, sooner than was thought, is the reason Cedric is being allowed to leave (assuming that happens) in the Window?

We've lost most of the games Valery has played in so I'm not sure that his return to the team would be such a good thing. To be fair to Valery though, our results when Cedric hasn't played have generally been terrible.

Sheff U close to signing Sander Berge for £28m

They've not had to sell anyone either :rolleyes:

They have a very cheaply assembled squad from the championship on championship wages, and now pretty much have guaranteed two years worth of PL TV money, so they will have plenty of room in the budget for signings.

We don't because we have a squad on PL wages.

Once/IF they stay in the PL for like 4-5 years then they will likely be the same as they will have new contracts and new players demanding £70k plus a week because of the PL money.

They have a very cheaply assembled squad from the championship on championship wages, and now pretty much have guaranteed two years worth of PL TV money, so they will have plenty of room in the budget for signings.

We don't because we have a squad on PL wages.

Once/IF they stay in the PL for like 4-5 years then they will likely be the same as they will have new contracts and new players demanding £70k plus a week because of the PL money.

No different to when we came up. The first two years we spent big on Gaston, Jay Rod, Wanyama, Lovren, Osvaldo and half a dosen more in the £2-5m category.

No different to when we came up. The first two years we spent big on Gaston, Jay Rod, Wanyama, Lovren, Osvaldo and half a dosen more in the £2-5m category.

Exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised if their wage budget was less than half ours.

Adam Blackmore

@AdamBlackmore

·

11m

#SaintsFC Manager Ralph Hasenhüttl confirms that Kyle Walker-Peters will NOT be in the squad at Anfield. Too early for him.

On Cedric leaving, Hasenhuettl says he’s happy to let him go in the circumstances

RH not expecting to bring anyone else in this window

Who needs extra fullbacks anyway?! :)

Adam Blackmore

@AdamBlackmore

·

11m

#SaintsFC Manager Ralph Hasenhüttl confirms that Kyle Walker-Peters will NOT be in the squad at Anfield. Too early for him.

On Cedric leaving, Hasenhuettl says he’s happy to let him go in the circumstances

No strengthening done in the window again, arguably weaker. Ho hum.

That's a bargain, great signing for them.

Shows how inflexible we are wage wise. Imagine we'd need to ship out a fair few before a signing like that. Not necessarily what we need most but when a really decent player is available like that it's a shame not to go for it. Guess it depends if we think Boufal is staying long term and can work out. Would love to think so but just never seems like it.

Similar money to Adams and similar record in the Championship. May be a good deal, but no guarantee he'll step up to Premier League standard. CP supporters may be slagging him off in a few months time just like some on here are slagging off Adams.

How do you explain the fact that our nerest clubs in the net spend table, Burnley and Crystal Palace have spent over £50m more than they’ve made from transfers in the same period we’ve made a profit? They’ve both been in the premier league that time

Adam Blackmore

@AdamBlackmore

·

11m

Might as well close this thread,save a day of waste.

How do you explain the fact that our nerest clubs in the net spend table, Burnley and Crystal Palace have spent over £50m more than they’ve made from transfers in the same period we’ve made a profit? They’ve both been in the premier league that time
Less high profile big money flops than us, still here on massive wages. Players like lemina, Forster, Elyounoussi, hoedt are on higher wages likely than most people in Burnleys team and we can barely give them away. When people discuss netspend they rarely consider the wage bill which is the actual killer. consider we pay the 4 previously mentioned about 14m a year between them that's where our money goes.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk