January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Central Defence.

NO EXCUSES.

Defensive midfield for me. Lacking in depth and quality.

We are weak at CB, but with the sheer number we have we can’t justify buying another one until we’ve shifted Hoedt, Stephens and possibly one more, which isn’t going to happen in January. Plus a quality DM will help take the pressure off the defence anyway.

We won’t bring anyone in

There will be a few early rumours, then nothing, with a couple of released statements via the clubs chosen sources about how the market is difficult, how we need to shift players etc.

Itk

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Heh?

More like defensive midfield.

Defensive midfield for me. Lacking in depth and quality.

We are weak at CB, but with the sheer number we have we can’t justify buying another one until we’ve shifted Hoedt, Stephens and possibly one more, which isn’t going to happen in January. Plus a quality DM will help take the pressure off the defence anyway.

Fair points raised.

I don’t think we will be buying an 8th CB somehow.

If only one of them could be relied upon and wasn't mistake ridden.

Obvious excuse Danso from this as he's still to feature in this position.

I think we'll sign Jarrod Bowen. I think we need to sign a cb and a dmc.

I think much depends on who we shift in the next couple of days, and whether they're sales or loans.

Why on earth would we spend probably £15m or thereabouts on Jarrod Bowen when he plays in the position we have the most options in?

Answer: we won't.

We also won't sign a CB, we have 6 already which is two more than needed.

We do need a defensive midfielder but don't have any money unless we decide to sell Hojbjerg if he won't sign a new contract.

Why on earth would we spend probably £15m or thereabouts on Jarrod Bowen when he plays in the position we have the most options in?

Answer: we won't.

We also won't sign a CB, we have 6 already which is two more than needed.

We do need a defensive midfielder but don't have any money unless we decide to sell Hojbjerg if he won't sign a new contract.

Bowen plays mainly on the right. Armstrong, Redmond, djenepo and Boufal all play on the left. Which is why we persist with the non-winger jwp on the right wing when playing 4 at the back. Anyway, it's just my gut feel.

We do already have 6 centre backs, but they range from promising to mediocre to downright cr4p. Its why I would therefore like one. I did differentiate between like and think, and very much stand by this.

And who says we can't afford a fee for a midfielder? I believe the issue is more wages, and if we do shift more in the next couple of days believe well have the funds.

So perfectly rational opinions, thank you. No need to get so angry ...

Edited by Chewy
Typo

Bowen plays mainly on the right. Armstrong, Redmond, djenepo and Boufal all play on the left. Which is why we persist with the non-winger jwp on the right wing when playing 4 at the back. Anyway, it's just my gut feel.

We do already have 6 centre backs, but they range from promising to mediocre to downright cr4p. Its why I would therefore like one. I did differentiate between like and think, and very much stand by this.

And who says we can't afford a fee for a midfielder? I believe the issue is more wages, and if we do shift more in the next couple of days believe well have the funds.

So perfectly rational opinions, thank you. No need to get so angry ...

No anger. Just pointing out where I disagree with you.

We won’t bring anyone in

There will be a few early rumours, then nothing, with a couple of released statements via the clubs chosen sources about how the market is difficult, how we need to shift players etc.

TBF, when you look at who we've brought in in January since promotion, I'm probably okay with that; Forren, Djuricic, Elia, Carrillo, Austin and Caceres.

Only Gabbi really made par. I will forever love him for that day out at Wembley but he didn't really set the league alight.

TBF, when you look at who we've brought in in January since promotion, I'm probably okay with that; Forren, Djuricic, Elia, Carrillo, Austin and Caceres.

Only Gabbi really made par. I will forever love him for that day out at Wembley but he didn't really set the league alight.

Mixed bag. Austin wasn’t a bad signing, £4m and was okay for the first 18 months. Caceres was clearly a good player of outstanding pedigree but for some odd reason he didn’t get a game. Djuricic and Elia were short term squad fillers who did what they were brought it to do. Forren was a poor signing and Carillo has been a disaster, the worst and weirdest signing in our history.

Mixed bag. Austin wasn’t a bad signing, £4m and was okay for the first 18 months. Caceres was clearly a good player of outstanding pedigree but for some odd reason he didn’t get a game. Djuricic and Elia were short term squad fillers who did what they were brought it to do. Forren was a poor signing and Carillo has been a disaster, the worst and weirdest signing in our history.

Austin was worth a punt, Caceres was only ever brought in as emergency cover for Stephens, so it was little surprise he didn’t play. I think in Les’ mind JS was the next great youth team success story and a natural replacement for Fonte. I’m more annoyed at selling our captain in January, without actually bringing anyone else in, which lead to us needing Caceres in the first place, as opposed to him as a player.

Djuricic and Elia were just that - filler. I don’t feel they really added anything, apart from EE in one game at Newcastle.

Austin was worth a punt, Caceres was only ever brought in as emergency cover for Stephens, so it was little surprise he didn’t play. I think in Les’ mind JS was the next great youth team success story and a natural replacement for Fonte. I’m more annoyed at selling our captain in January, without actually bringing anyone else in, which lead to us needing Caceres in the first place, as opposed to him as a player.

Djuricic and Elia were just that - filler. I don’t feel they really added anything, apart from EE in one game at Newcastle.

It’s absolutely laughable that Uruguayan international, champions league winning, 6 times Serie A winner and La Liga winner Martin Caceres was brought in as cover for Jack Frigging Stephens. If anything sums up how clueless it all got this is it.

Reed’s biggest mistake is overating so much of our academy players and giving them big fat contracts: Gallagher, Reed, Stephens, Targett...

Reed’s biggest mistake is overating so much of our academy players and giving them big fat contracts: Gallagher, Reed, Stephens, Targett...
His biggest mistake? Not really. We just sold Targett for up to £17m and Gallagher for £5m and will probably sell Reed next summer for similar to Gallagher.

I would say handing a new contract to Forster (twice) and signing dross like Carrillo, Hoedt, Clasie, Elyounoussi are all far, far worse.

If you think that was Reed’s biggest mistake, your head has well and truly gone

Edited by Batman

If you think that was Reed’s biggest mistake, your head has well and truly gone

This translated in a bloated squad and our inability to pay more wages to bring in better quality players.

Yes some of our is payed 60k a week but that is nothing compared to for example Zaha at Crystal Palace...

It’s absolutely laughable that Uruguayan international, champions league winning, 6 times Serie A winner and La Liga winner Martin Caceres was brought in as cover for Jack Frigging Stephens. If anything sums up how clueless it all got this is it.

I can see the logic in what he was thinking; we weren't going down or making Europe so nothing to lose by giving Stephens half a season of decent experience. If he struggles, we have an experienced international on a 6 month deal as cover. Where he went laughably wrong is in thinking Stephens had anything like the ability to replace Fonte.

I can see the logic in what he was thinking; we weren't going down or making Europe so nothing to lose by giving Stephens half a season of decent experience. If he struggles, we have an experienced international on a 6 month deal as cover. Where he went laughably wrong is in thinking Stephens had anything like the ability to replace Fonte.

Stephens > Maguire> Caceres

Unless we can shift a fair few in the next few days, I can't see us doing much at all, especially if they don't leave on permanent deals.

Still got Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi and Carrillo to get rid of. Best part of £250k a week, that's the best part of £5m between now and the transfer window opening.

We won't bring in another CB unless we lose Stephens and Hoedt (or possibly Yoshida if he gets a chance to go abroad and he's not getting a game here). DM is clearly an issue, especially when Romeu/Hojbjerg get their inevitable suspensions...

Once we decided on a system, it'll be easier to judge signings, but for me, this 4222 just does not suit our players, and if we persist with it, then I can't see us winning many games.

Unless we can shift a fair few in the next few days, I can't see us doing much at all, especially if they don't leave on permanent deals.

Still got Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi and Carrillo to get rid of. Best part of £250k a week, that's the best part of £5m between now and the transfer window opening.

We won't bring in another CB unless we lose Stephens and Hoedt (or possibly Yoshida if he gets a chance to go abroad and he's not getting a game here). DM is clearly an issue, especially when Romeu/Hojbjerg get their inevitable suspensions...

Once we decided on a system, it'll be easier to judge signings, but for me, this 4222 just does not suit our players, and if we persist with it, then I can't see us winning many games.

Did you wake up feeling low this morning?

Just had the pleasure of seeing Leeds v Swansea at Elland road with my Leeds supporting brother in law.

Best and classiest player was Kelvin Phillips. He was clearly a cut above and is destined for a top club. If Saints could've him it would be great! He always seemed to have an extra second compared to everyone else. Brilliant on the ball and a super tackler!

They play the press too,so would easily adapt to our style.

Buy him Saints!

Edited by It's There

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Another two goals for Jarrod Bowen at Hull. We should definitely be looking to bring in in January, even if we go down he’d be a great asset!
We've just done that. Che Adams was knocking them in for fun in the championship last year, so we went out and got him. Not working out very well at the moment.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Another two goals for Jarrod Bowen at Hull. We should definitely be looking to bring in in January, even if we go down he’d be a great asset!

We've just done that. Che Adams was knocking them in for fun in the championship last year, so we went out and got him. Not working out very well at the moment.

Next season...

giphy.gif

We don't need attackers unless we shift someone, Djenepo looks good, Ings is doing all right, Boufal should get played more and has looked good in the games he has got, Redmond is decent enough and I think Adams will come good, plus we have Long and Obafemi kicking about.

Centre-back, full backs and centre-mids should be priority.

How the hell we find a good centre-back in January is beyond me, but key will be to get the new Director of Football and Chief Scout or whatever they are calling it in so they can make the correct judgements and hopefully can unearth a gem or two.

A proper physical DM would be great and someone that can carry the ball in centre-mid would be amazing.

A centre back who has been and done it would be nice. I don't particularly rate the bloke, but we missed a trick with Cahill in hindsight.

We need to - cleverly - throw some money into the squad. But if they're going to back the manager, then they need to do it financially and not just in the telegraph.