January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

We have rejected third bid for Che from Leeds. Sky. Some saying offer is 20 mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh I'd let him go for that.

Edit: just seen the payment is conditional on their promotion. Not sure why we would agree to that then.

Edited by hypochondriac

SSN saying we’re interested in Matty Cash. Anyone know much about him? AC Milan also interested.

Matty Cash is someone I suggested many pages ago on this very thread. As I recall I said something along the lines of: he is a winger that has moved back to fullback due to injuries in that position and he has been brilliant for them, attracting much attention (he wasn't a bad winger by the way). I think Everton were strongly linked earlier in the season. I watched him at Ashton Gate and he looked composed, with a decent first touch that would enable him to play at a higher level. He didn't look to be the tallest of fellas, which I guess is normal for a fullback, but possibly worrying if exposed as Cedric has been at times. Defensively he looked pretty good to me, although Bristol City didn't offer much, so hard to say. I wouldn't say he stood out in that particular game, but I know he has in others. I'd say any scout would see a player that could probably step up a level.

Forest have money and have just sold for money, so won't be desperate to sell, especially as they may go up this season - so he won't be cheap.

Someone we should have been seriously looking at over the last couple of months, at the very least.

Edited by Chez

We have rejected third bid for Che from Leeds. Sky. Some saying offer is 20 mill

So a loan deal, with a view to buy. Not sure it's worth our while unless that loan fee is huge. I wonder if an obligation to buy if they go up might be discussed. Can't see them finding £20m and stay with FFP.

Unless we have given up on Adams, and there is nothing to suggest that, he is very much part of the match day squad then selling him makes no sense. IMHO Adams is much better than Michael Obifembi who has poor ball control. Adams was so much better when he came on last night, he holds the ball up so well and is an intelligent player.

It really would be stupid to let him go unless he is making waves himself OR we has lined up a replacement already. I still believe Adams will come good.

On the one hand, no it'd be dodgy, But then, if they get him for that much, they'll probably get promoted. I doubt they'd care about a fine after that. At the moment they look very much like slipping up again.

I like Che but £20m you'd have to take really.

But it would cost us around that much to replace him though. Spend any less than that and there's no guarantee that the replacement would actually be any better.

I like Che, and I think he will only improve with more game time. Like others have said, it's not all about goals, as proven by Shlong. He has a decent touch and looks like an intelligent player too, with the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

I would be very disappointed if we offloaded him to Leeds without ever getting to see his full potential.

Che got goals for Birmingham and he's got assists for us and if he had any luck he would have had goals instead of hitting woodwork. He is not a waste like Carillo and that crazy chap that bopped Fonte and he only cost half their price. I really hope we keep him unless he has set his heaert on the move. It will be a shame if he comes good for someone else and scores their winner down here.

On the one hand, no it'd be dodgy, But then, if they get him for that much, they'll probably get promoted. I doubt they'd care about a fine after that. At the moment they look very much like slipping up again.

Why would you? To finance Gao’s pension?

Tbh I'd let him go for that.

Edit: just seen the payment is conditional on their promotion. Not sure why we would agree to that then.

I wouldn’t recommend Saints or anyone gambling on Leeds promotion. It’s too stressful

Skybet tempted me in during the summer with a limited time price boost.

looked like it was money in the bank in mid December and I regretted not putting more on.

1 win in 8 since and it's delicately poised again.

I don't see the point in £20m when it will just disapear. I hate our ownership and how much they're holding us back, we could really go forward because we have a terrific manager here, like top level european manager in the MP mould - back him! Let him build a proper team in his way and we'd be having the time of our lives!

He's going to get bored eventually as there's only so much he can do with this group.

I don't see the point in £20m when it will just disapear. I hate our ownership and how much they're holding us back, we could really go forward because we have a terrific manager here, like top level european manager in the MP mould - back him! Let him build a proper team in his way and we'd be having the time of our lives!

He's going to get bored eventually as there's only so much he can do with this group.

It's a crying shame, isn't it? Ralph has energised this club so much, and the backing he is getting is questionable.

Perhaps we're waiting to get rid of some deadwood before investing properly? I doubt it, but I need some hope to cling to!

Trying to be optimistic about this transfer window and the upcoming Summer.

The more we’ve been accumulating the wins this month and pushing away from 18th, the more I’ve been content on not disrupting the side and spending needless money in January when prices are stupid. (I’m hoping that’s the sort of thinking Ralph and the board have agreed on lately, but maybe I’m just trying to be too positive for a Saints Web poster)

We’ve got a long list of players that need shifting this summer again, but, being optimistic, it looks like this could be the window that we free up some much needed wage budget what with;

Yoshida not getting a game

Cedric gone

Long questionable to stay for another year

Adams no doubt wanting a move by then for game-time

Ely looking like a bargain for Celtic

Forster seems happy up at Celtic too

Boufal drumming up some interest and not getting much game time here

Vestergaard not really cutting it and interest back in Germany

Hoedt & Carrillo, god knows, hopefully some sucker might give us a couple of £m

I know that’s a long list, but I’m confident we could get rid of a good six on there. Question is, is Ralph going to be backed with some extra cash on top of the sales, or just a piddly £15m/£20m to play with from those moving on, which in terms of teams around us and what they NEED to spend in this league to keep competitive, is such a farse.

I hope we see a good window, making a good £15-£20m in sales and Ralph given £30-£50m to improve the squad, everyone else seems to have no problem splashing a little cash, hopefully we’ll see a little well placed expenditure this year.

The more we’ve been accumulating the wins this month and pushing away from 18th, the more I’ve been content on not disrupting the side and spending needless money in January when prices are stupid. (I’m hoping that’s the sort of thinking Ralph and the board have agreed on lately, but maybe I’m just trying to be too positive for a Saints Web poster)

We’ve got a long list of players that need shifting this summer again, but, being optimistic, it looks like this could be the window that we free up some much needed wage budget what with;

Cedric gone

I know that’s a long list, but I’m confident we could get rid of a good six on there. Question is, is Ralph going to be backed with some extra cash on top of the sales, or just a piddly £15m/£20m to play with from those moving on, which in terms of teams around us and what they NEED to spend in this league to keep competitive, is such a farse.

I hope we see a good window, making a good £15-£20m in sales and Ralph given £30-£50m to improve the squad, everyone else seems to have no problem splashing a little cash, hopefully we’ll see a little well placed expenditure this year.

Our captain will only have a year left in the summer too.

I think we will have to sell a star player to finance further deals (it's what we do).

Our captain will only have a year left in the summer too.

I think we will have to sell a star player to finance further deals (it's what we do).

Agree with you on that.

Makes me worried that as soon as Ings undoubtably gets his England Euro 2020 place with everyone else crocked, our eyes light up from another big shiny paycheck. Being a Saints boy, I’d hope he’d want to stay with us.

Agree with you on that.

Makes me worried that as soon as Ings undoubtably gets his England Euro 2020 place with everyone else crocked, our eyes light up from another big shiny paycheck. Being a Saints boy, I’d hope he’d want to stay with us.

Depends on the price really. English striker getting around 20 goals a season at 27 years of age should command a fee of at least £60million in this day and age. Given his injury record previously and our need to rebuild much of the team, could we really turn that down?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7918561/Leicester-making-15million-Southampton-defender-Jannik-Vestergaard.html

Now this would be the perfect revenge for the 9-0 loss :-)

Can't possibly imagine it's true but how sweet would that be?

The 27-year-old has been a key player in the Southampton side since arriving from Borussia Mönchengladbach and his performances have caught the eye of Leicester, who The Sun report have made a £15million bid for the Dane.

:lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7918561/Leicester-making-15million-Southampton-defender-Jannik-Vestergaard.html

Now this would be the perfect revenge for the 9-0 loss :-)

Can't possibly imagine it's true but how sweet would that be?

Not sure the club would see this as the right move and especially at £15m. Think £25m sale to a Prem rival is closer value and anyway it’s more likely we see Yoshi go before Jannick. Do we believe this story from the Mail anyway?

Cedric gone

The key thing you're missing in thinking we'll shift six players is they're on wages no other club will pay. We're more likely to lose a player or two that we'd rather keep, especially if we finish near the top.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The key thing you're missing in thinking we'll shift six players is they're on wages no other club will pay. We're more likely to lose a player or two that we'd rather keep, especially if we finish near the top.

It’s likely to be a combination, as players that could be in demand and not wanting to renew their contract with only a year or two left on it don’t leave the club much choice but to sell - money is required.

Hopefully a few of those out on loan can be finally moved on and free up some wages even if a transfer fee is minimal.

Then what will happen to players like Slattery? Loan out for game time, sell on or be part of the first team squad and get to play next season? I do wonder if there is some kind of first team plan or if it down to it is what it is!

Well Cedric, Long and Yoshida are all out of contract and at least two of those big wages will go.

Chances are we can shift Forster and possibly Lemina, even if we have to accept less than we paid.

Carillo is a write off - he has one year to go so will just be loaned out again.

If we wanted to then we could get money for Adams and Boufal and Vestergaard may have a market.

Elyounoussi and Hoedt probably the toughest to shift.

I also think this summer could be the one where someone comes in for JWP and if PEH doesn't re-sign then we need to sell him.

So really it should be the summer that we have needed for 2 or 3 years. Its a shame that the recruitment person won't be in place until the summer has already started though.

As per @dansheldonsport #SaintsFC have received an approach from #LCFC for defender Jannik Vestergaard. They would want to turn a profit on the £18m they paid for him to contemplate selling @JasonBourne1986

Why is it we are obsessed with making a profit on transfers? It was the same thing with Lemina during the summer. A player we don't want who isn't/wont play sucking a large wage out of the club and we'd rather carry on paying them whilst they do nothing or loan them out rather than take a small loss on the transfer fee to get them off the wage bill.

Why is it we are obsessed with making a profit on transfers? It was the same thing with Lemina during the summer. A player we don't want who isn't/wont play sucking a large wage out of the club and we'd rather carry on paying them whilst they do nothing or loan them out rather than take a small loss on the transfer fee to get them off the wage bill.
It's probably a bargaining position start high and meet in the middle. Problem with lemina is we said we wanted to recoup the original fee as a starting position, the other clubs came back with something outlandishly low as a response and we weren't willing to meet in the middle as we believed he was better than money we would get for him and a season doing well on loan would raise his stock.

Like how clubs were allegedly offering to take Forster for £3m last summer and we held out as we believed him to be better than that and he has had a great spell at celtic and his value is being touted at £10m. Just because a player is of no use to us and would not start for us doesn't mean we should immediately sell, often having another club pay their wages and start them putting them in the shop window for us is a win win.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

As per @dansheldonsport #SaintsFC have received an approach from #LCFC for defender Jannik Vestergaard. They would want to turn a profit on the £18m they paid for him to contemplate selling @JasonBourne1986

Daft if true. There's 15 million reasons why I'd accept that offer. We need to cut our losses on the poor signings and re build imo.

Daft if true. There's 15 million reasons why I'd accept that offer. We need to cut our losses on the poor signings and re build imo.

He's our 3rd choice CB currently, ahead of Yoshida and Danso, neither of whom are going to be still at the club after the summer (I cannot see any reason why we would want to take up our option to buy Danso)

If we sell JV now, we had better have a replacement already lined up because otherwise come July we will find ourselves needing to sign at least 2 CBs just to make sure we have enough cover in that position.

I know Vestergaard is Persona non-grata around here, but he actually had a decent game against Palace (after his early mistake) and I reckon he's worth keeping as a backup, if he's happy to be a bench-warmer of course.

Despite how bad Vestergaard has been, if we sell him for £15m, could we find an suitable replacement for that amount? I very much doubt it. Especially with 2 weeks left in the window.

If we could sell him form 15M, we'd still have Yoshi and Danso(If him being a centre back isn't a myth), plus the first choice 2. That wouldn't seem crazy to get to the end of the season. Not that i expect anyone to give us 15m or offer us anything but a loan fee for Vest, in which case its worth keeping him.

Despite how bad Vestergaard has been, if we sell him for £15m, could we find an suitable replacement for that amount? I very much doubt it. Especially with 2 weeks left in the window.

hes one injury away from playing all the remaining games of the season. in relaity will play a bit. Itd be nice to rebuild but 15m to find a replacement may not be great. Maybe best to keep in in the Yoshida 3rd CB role wile the likes of danso progress (if we rate him)

He's our 3rd choice CB currently, ahead of Yoshida and Danso, neither of whom are going to be still at the club after the summer (I cannot see any reason why we would want to take up our option to buy Danso)

If we sell JV now, we had better have a replacement already lined up because otherwise come July we will find ourselves needing to sign at least 2 CBs just to make sure we have enough cover in that position.

I know Vestergaard is Persona non-grata around here, but he actually had a decent game against Palace (after his early mistake) and I reckon he's worth keeping as a backup, if he's happy to be a bench-warmer of course.

I take the point but imo he's not good enough and I'd cash in when we can. If that means getting by with what's left until the season end, then so be it. We can then recruit someone more suitable.

I also think this summer could be the one where someone comes in for JWP

Agree JWP could be sought after now he's demonstrated the ability to add bite and dynamism to his game, as well as being English and brilliant at set pieces. Wonder what sort of value on him now? £30m+? It would leave the club without an academy poster boy in the first team, so maybe we'll be reluctant to sell - it's a big ask to potentially replace JWP, PEH and Oriel so I would think (assuming there's some rationality left in the transfer committee) that only one would leave, plus Lemina.

I'd probably cash in.

Saying we want a profit I agree is a bargaining position, he costs us £18 million, they offer us £15 million, we say £20 million, they might then say £18 million and there you go.

Cover is a little worry especially with Bednerak out, but I suppose its not a giant risk with the league position as it is and Danso/Yoshida as back ups.

If it allowed us to go out now and start negotiating for a target that ultimately signs ready for pre-season I'd take it to be honest. The summer is a big rebuilding job and if we need to sell people to balance fees/wages, then doing as much early business as possible is preferable.

I am also presuming he might want out and isn't happy to sit on the bench, he probably wasn't expecting it (though I hope he understands it, unlike someone like Hoedt) when he signed as a regular for a good German side (who are challenging for the title this year) and being back up to a team that is almost certainly going to be in the champions league next year and only has 3 first team centre-backs currently, one of whom is 36 and injured is obviously going to be appealing to him.

We are going to need a whole new back 4 in the summer anyway as Yoshida looks likely to go, as is Cedric, we need cover for Bertrand and need a new centre back anyway. That means even if we have transfer funds we need clearing people from the wages, and if Vestegaard is below now Stephens and Bednerak in the pecking order, he needs to be cleared off the books, making almost the money back we paid for him is a bonus and we might not get takers in the summer especially if it becomes more clear then that he is surplus to requirements.

Still baffles me they want him though.

I think also you give Danso some game time in his actual position and see if he can earn his move here, if he does decently and shows some promise then IIRC the release clause is like 10 million Euros, I think I'd probably take that option up for someone his age seeing as we'll in theory be losing Yoshida, Vestegaard and won't want Hoedt anywhere near the building with his attitude, then even if we go out and get a 'star' centre back signing, you'd want a 4th for decent squad depth and he's shown he can cover other positions as well.

Edited by tajjuk

I am not sure that is going to be a massive issue, we might have to subsidise a few but I reckon -

I reckon Forster will take a pay cut to rejoin Celtic and they'll pay a fee, not the ridiculous £25 million quoted but we might get £8-10 for him based on performances this season. He seems to have found a home there, got his confidence back and is liked there, so I reckon he'll drop wages to join them.

Elyounoussi similar, though I think he is on less wages here anyway, done well at Celtic, seems to be liked there so I reckon he might agree to go to Celtic and they might pay a small amount for him again maybe around the £8 million mark.

Cedric and Yoshida are both out of contract and likely to go, that is probably £100k a week off the wages right there.

Long I reckon we'll offer a new contract but on lower terms at his age and more as a squad role, seems an important figure in the dressing room.

Vestergaard seems wanted and even wanted by a PL club so we should get a fee there and no need to sub wages.

Boufal similar, seems wanted by clubs in Spain and Italy, he impressed on loan last year and I reckon we'll get a small transfer fee and he'll want to go to kick start his career.

------------

Between Forster, Elnoyussi, Boufal and Vestergaard I reckon we could maybe get £30 million in transfer funds, maybe more if Vestergaard goes for £15 million plus and Forster goes for £10 million. Vestergaard is obviously attracting interest from various places and has done ok enough, with a decent previous record to keep his value. The other 3 have done well on loan (Boufal last year), that has increased their reputations to make them more valuable and less the complete write offs people predicted.

Those four players definitely have re-sale value and as long as we don't demand stupid fees for them I reckon we'll sell them fairly easily and recoup a decent amount of money. The loans have paid off basically.

Its Carrillo and Hoedt who are the dead weights, they have been terrible for us, and then have done terrible on loan AND have high wages, I think we'll struggle to give them away for free paying half their current wages.

But the others coupled with those leaving for free could raise £25-30 million in funds and crucially should clear about £400k a week off the wage bill, that would give plenty of room to sign 4-5 quality players, if you add our yearly spend of about £50 million.

Edited by tajjuk

Yeah but when the summer comes we would only have Stephens, Bednarek and Wesley ****, so would need two new CBs, which would be a difficult task to face when we also need a new RB and possibly a CM to challenge Højbjerg.

Or buy one centre back and involve a youngster like Alfie Jones, who's done ok out on loan in league 1 as fourth choice.