January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

So we aren’t being well run then. If we genuinely do have to sale to buy given the premier League income then we have been run absolutely shambolically. All the back slapping of the last 6 years of our brilliant corporate governance, sustainability, well run club is utter lies. It’s been a shambles.

Yes, we have a squad full of average players on big wages, which is at least part of why we don't have money to spend on transfer fees. It's going to take time to turn that around.

Reed is gone now, and so is Wilson, so while I don't want to make out that Gao is an amazing owner, we could well be turning things around to correct the mistakes of the past.

And I'm personally happy we are not loaded with debt - i'd have thought someone with your political persuasions would agree with me!

Yes, we have a squad full of average players on big wages, which is at least part of why we don't have money to spend on transfer fees. It's going to take time to turn that around.

Reed is gone now, and so is Wilson, so while I don't want to make out that Gao is an amazing owner, we could well be turning things around to correct the mistakes of the past.

And I'm personally happy we are not loaded with debt - i'd have thought someone with your political persuasions would agree with me!

this is exactly how I feel.

Of course, being self sufficient (and be successful in this league) is tough if everyone else is spending today what they will earn tomorrow.

The voice of reason. Agreed.

At least we won't sign any more dead wood. Have a great manager squeeze the most out of what we have...until someone gets injured.

60% of that sentence is 100% nonsense. :rolleyes: Let’s not sign anyone and let’s not improve our squad because we once signed a few crap players. Thank f**k Klopp didn’t adopt that philosophy after signing Paul Jones, Lovren or Steven Caulker. Some of the points brought up in an attempt to argue on here are pure insanity. I’m hoping you were being sarcastic.

Yeah, let’s hope we get no injuries...like to Bednarek.

We could spend more, but I've asked this before and "the just spend money ffs, cos that guarantees success brigade", ie people like you, ignore the question. If you were Gao or his advisors, in the light of our recent transfer disasters, would you really permit the club to spend monies to sign the next Hoedt, Carrillo, Elyounisi, Vestergaard, Adams, Gunn, etc? Really? Everyone single one of those will lose the club millions.

It's not black and white, all or nothing etc. There is a balance, and we are by the majority of consensus and in my view a shade on the wrong side of it. Getting one or two players - ideally bargain gems, to bolster our wafer thin squad is not quite the drama queen crisis situation you are trying to portray. £15 to 20M spent wisely now would ensure we don't lose 100' s of £M by getting relegated. In all likelihood we would soon recoup the spend either now or in the summer by selling Ori (£8M), Reed (£4), Fraser (£8M) etc.

Not sure if this is the new trend, but why do people have to be so polarized, nasty and biased in their views - this is a forum after all and people are entitled to post their thoughts - no?

It's not black and white, all or nothing etc. There is a balance, and we are by the majority of consensus and in my view a shade on the wrong side of it. Getting one or two players - ideally bargain gems, to bolster our wafer thin squad is not quite the drama queen crisis situation you are trying to portray. £15 to 20M spent wisely now would ensure we don't lose 100' s of £M by getting relegated. In all likelihood we would soon recoup the spend either now or in the summer by selling Ori (£8M), Reed (£4), Fraser (£8M) etc.

Not sure if this is the new trend, but why do people have to be so polarized, nasty and biased in their views - this is a forum after all and people are entitled to post their thoughts - no?

Your last point rather conflicts with your use of the term "drama queen"!

There is a call from many to sign players. We're stuck with loads of poor players on expensive contracts. We need to add better. "Bargain gems" = cheap, and that means players no better than we have, possibly worse. Personally I don't see the point in that.

This thread is entitled, "January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition" and not who can slag off the Club and owners the most. The thread has got very tedious no one knows what Goa is going to do. but unless he spends loads of money like Poopey he is the worst owner in the league. Do we not have any admin/moderators to get the arguments off to somewhere else so people can see what transfer rumours, if any, there are.

The people who signed those players have all gone. The people running the club now are there, you would hope, with Goas approval, if not what’s he doing as he’s been here two and half years. So if that’s the case the question is does he trust them or not? Or maybe we should never sign anyone in case they don’t work out.

Yes, Wee Ross, Dr. Honeydew and Bunsen have thankfully left, but how about the incompetent scouts who recommended the likes of Elyuseless, Hoedt, etc.?

Do we not have any admin/moderators to get the arguments off to somewhere else so people can see what transfer rumours, if any, there are.

We won't be spending any money so there aren't any rumours. If you just want to just read rumours, go to southamptonrumours.co.uk or try twitter. This is a message board- the entire purpose of it is for people to discuss things, even if those things aren't exactly what you want to read. This isn't your personal news portal.

but unless he spends loads of money like Poopey he is the worst owner in the league

Opinions might get heated on here but I haven't seen anybody make an argument as dumb as that. Do you want dispassionate transfer news or would you also like to join in with the Gao debate?

no one knows what Goa is going to do.

True, but if not knowing what somebody was going to do meant that we couldn't speculate, there wouldn't be much to talk about!

This thread is entitled, "January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition" and not who can slag off the Club and owners the most. The thread has got very tedious no one knows what Goa is going to do. but unless he spends loads of money like Poopey he is the worst owner in the league. Do we not have any admin/moderators to get the arguments off to somewhere else so people can see what transfer rumours, if any, there are.

This thread is about the January transfer window, the last couple of pages have been why Ralph has done a 180 in the last few weeks. If it was just to discuss rumours no one would have posted on it in the last 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

apparently, signing players better than Stephens and Bednarek are well out of our price range....
Hooray! He's finally got it. Or nearly. Whilst we already have six CBs on our books, buying any more is outside our budget. Simple finance. Paying off three or four contracts plus upgrades would cost at least £80m.

Afterthought. Surely he's not being sarcastic??? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So....

Still no new ins or outs.

How very Sainty.

I think if you look at the overall picture, you'll see that there will be very few signings right across the league, except the super-rich and desperate, and a high proportion of moves will be expensive failures. I give you Carillo.

Players are ridiculously overpriced in January and it's not a time any club is going to let good players go.

In fact the whole window is a non-event that the media, especially Sky, try to build up into something it isn't.

Edited by Shroppie

Your last point rather conflicts with your use of the term "drama queen"!

There is a call from many to sign players. We're stuck with loads of poor players on expensive contracts. We need to add better. "Bargain gems" = cheap, and that means players no better than we have, possibly worse. Personally I don't see the point in that.

Are you honestly saying that there's no point buying any players unless they cost more than what we've already got?

Are you honestly saying that there's no point buying any players unless they cost more than what we've already got?

My comment was in response to someone saying that we should sign "cheap gems". They're a rare beast, especially in January. I'm saying we need better players than we have, both at the club and those out on loan. I'm doubtful we'll get better for low cost personally but if you have a different opinion, throw out some names.

I think if you look at the overall picture, you'll see that there will be very few signings right across the league, except the super-rich and desperate, and a high proportion of moves will be expensive failures. I give you Carillo.

Players are ridiculously overpriced in January and it's not a time any club is going to let good players go.

In fact the whole window is a non-event that the media, especially Sky, try to build up into something it isn't.

Well, we let Virgil go in January

Well, we let Virgil go in January
Obviously true. But that was £75m for a player who'd effectively gone on strike because he wanted exactly that move.

Know of any players on strike because they want a move to Saints? And have you got a spare £75m?

This thread is about the January transfer window, the last couple of pages have been why Ralph has done a 180 in the last few weeks. If it was just to discuss rumours no one would have posted on it in the last 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

Because he is paid £6m per year to agree with his bosses. It's not difficult to understand.

Don’t you think that it might be different if we were still in the bottom three? It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that Ralph has told the board to hold fire on new signings. There are still several days to go. Let’s see what happens.

Don’t you think that puts all the pressure to the summer ?

Perhaps won’t be here to worry about it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t you think that puts all the pressure to the summer ?

Perhaps won’t be here to worry about it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be pleased if we can avoid any activity in January, unless we uncover an up-and-coming player, probably FB, who could use us as a stepping stone.banything else will be wildly overpriced.

Summer is a far better time to reassess with more chance of offloading our expensive failures to free up wages and funds.

A lot can happen but then. Maybe we'll scrape survival and need to do everything possible to shake up the squad. Or maybe we'll finish comfortable mid-table or better, giving developing players chances to prove themselves in the last few games. Or an opportunity to put our rejects in the shop window.

Wait until egg sees this post. He will be here any minute to set you straight, the club have never not been straight.

Hypo, there's a variety of reasons why Ralph has expressed a changed stance. Your guess is no more correct than mine.

So we've gone from definitely bringing fullbacks in to him being happy with the squad as is. Just be honest from the get go ffs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't think he said that he was happy with the squad....I think that he said that wouldn't scare him if he had to go to the end of the season with the current squad....not quite the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I'll be pleased if we can avoid any activity in January, unless we uncover an up-and-coming player, probably FB, who could use us as a stepping stone.banything else will be wildly overpriced.

Summer is a far better time to reassess with more chance of offloading our expensive failures to free up wages and funds.

A lot can happen but then. Maybe we'll scrape survival and need to do everything possible to shake up the squad. Or maybe we'll finish comfortable mid-table or better, giving developing players chances to prove themselves in the last few games. Or an opportunity to put our rejects in the shop window.

Yep and the exact same thing was said last January. It set us up for a huge rebuilding exercise where we get the players we badly needed in. Didn't really happen did it and the same thing will happen this summer, leaving us with very obvious deficiencies once again and crossing our fingers that we don't get one long term injury or we are f*cked.

4 day epiphanys about the ability of a fullback do happen.

***sigh***

4 day reality checks about the available options and their expectations happen too. As I say, your guess as to what happened is no more correct than mine, and none of us know what happened.

It’s interesting why we never seem to look to the championship for a good centre back. It’s a position where you don’t really need to be so technically amazing so signing a good solid no nonsense cb from the championship could make sense whilst also not being way out of our price range .. a long time ago now but remember how good dean Richards was for us?

Also you get teams like sheff Utd,, Burnley when they did.already come up with much more solid defences then ours .

It’s interesting why we never seem to look to the championship for a good centre back. It’s a position where you don’t really need to be so technically amazing so signing a good solid no nonsense cb from the championship could make sense whilst also not being way out of our price range .. a long time ago now but remember how good dean Richards was for us?

Also you get teams like sheff Utd,, Burnley when they did.already come up with much more solid defences then ours .

I'd be absolutely amazed if we didn't scout the Championship- Che Adams pretty much puts that theory through the window. The Premier League cash on offer means that prices go through the roof.

Besides, who exactly is there this season who would genuinely improve the team and be available midseason? By all accounts Ben White has been the best in the league this season and he's on loan from Brighton...

Not sure Ben would be too keen on returning to the club that rejected him !. But that point shows our weakness in CB - he’d be a first choice candidate for us but is behind 4 others with Brighton’s much better CBs.

Didn't seem to be a problem for Danny Ings, Kevin Phillips or even Dennis Wise. Many would relish proving their former club wrong, especially the management of the time.

Local Dutch media are reporting that we had scouts in the stands at the Ado Den Haag V RKC Waalwijk match. Apparently we are watching ADO Den Haag forward Crysenscio Summerville, on loan from Feyenoord.

Just looking through youtube, as you do. Fun to watch and certainly what you'd call our "type".....i.e, young, fast, cheap.

***sigh***

4 day reality checks about the available options and their expectations happen too. As I say, your guess as to what happened is no more correct than mine, and none of us know what happened.

So just to be clear, "no one knows what happened" and "your guess is as good as mine" but previously you have said you believe the club has never fed information to the press, never used their press contacts to manage the message in times of pressure and have never briefed aspirations as firm intent to their press contacts. And you believe that all of the stories are just newspapers making it up and all the false hopes are the newspapers fault and the club are a helpless, innocent party.

If "no one knows what happened", how are you so sure of this?

So just to be clear, "no one knows what happened" and "your guess is as good as mine" but previously you have said you believe the club has never fed information to the press, never used their press contacts to manage the message in times of pressure and have never briefed aspirations as firm intent to their press contacts. And you believe that all of the stories are just newspapers making it up and all the false hopes are the newspapers fault and the club are a helpless, innocent party.

If "no one knows what happened", how are you so sure of this?

Mate, you're selective in what you read. Very.

It's bizarre that you think that my opinion about the press/leaks is any way connected to my lack of opinion re the change of position re signing full backs. Jesus wept.

Ralph has expressed a different opinion re full back signings. There are many possibilities for that, many of them credible. I've said that neither I nor anyone else know why. I hope that's simple enough for you.

Re press, read what I actually said. I've said that I have no doubt that the club use the media as part of its pr machine. What I have said is that I struggle to accept that rumours in the telegraph re transfers, etc, are all a plant from the club. Others seem to think that they're all club plants and dismiss the idea that journalists get things wrong. I disagree.