January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

When we’re in the Championship, he’ll be great....maybe. If he scores more than 1 goal this season I’ll apologise for getting it wrong, but as much as I would love him to ‘come good’ he’s shown nothing to suggest he’ll do anything other than run around a lot. He’s just not good enough.

Since his starts earlier in the season, it’s not really like he’s had any chance to make a impact anyway.. doesn’t matter if your Harry Kane if your only getting odd 10-15 minutes occasionally at the end of the game it’s hard to make much impact.. I think it’s a bit weird man management by Ralph to have him starting first five or so games and now to be pretty much out of the picture even obafemi hs started in front of Adams

How many injuries has he actually had? He seemed fit most of 2019 just not in form late last season. His injuries were big ones rather than a career full of niggles. He's looked fine this season. I'd be more worried about him losing form than getting injured.

Still think it's worth giving Adams more games. If he gets a goal we'll have a different player on our hands. Adams proving himself seems far more likely than Long or Obafemi stepping up to score regularly.

Ings big injuries at Liverpool were tearing his ankle ligament, the persistent hamstring injuries followed by doing his cruciate ligaments. I think he had an op on his knee following that. He’s had a hamstring issue (again) with us (unsure if it’s a reoccurring problem) and a few minor niggles (from what I heard) but our club barely speak to the press so there’s a media blackout, if you exclude the pointless weekly club spin in the echo where they peddle out a member of staff to read the inane club script which insults our intelligence by making stupidly transparent statements that have more front than Harrods. It’s tricky to gauge what goes on these days and the club are much more controlling and monitoring of social media so I rely on friends at the club or friends closely associated with the club. I don’t really pay attention to the Echo and no other newspapers bother with us anymore.

Adams had enough chance and looked out of his depth. We don’t have time to nurture him now. We need instant results and that means a reliable option as back up in case people haven’t noticed. Same goes for our defence. None of these are new problems.

Since his starts earlier in the season, it’s not really like he’s had any chance to make a impact anyway.. doesn’t matter if your Harry Kane if your only getting odd 10-15 minutes occasionally at the end of the game it’s hard to make much impact.. I think it’s a bit weird man management by Ralph to have him starting first five or so games and now to be pretty much out of the picture even obafemi hs started in front of Adams

He was getting full matches consistently and had more than enough chance to prove himself and he didn’t. You can’t do that at this level and get away with it for long periods a. He’d not have had such grace elsewhere. Then we have a look at where we are now as a result. It all makes a difference and contributes to the end of season stats. Not scoring & winning as well as all the sloppy goals conceded.

I do agree with your sentiment though and was discussing this earlier today. I find it bizarre how Ralph can start Che consistently over a proven goalscorer of far superior quality in Ings and then Ralph will persist with him (Adams) and then drop him totally in the cold and play others in front of them.

It’s utterly bizarre and hypocritical to go from one extreme to another. I simply have never understood how Ralph’s mind works with player selection as much as tactical positioning of players. It’s mind boggling. Many games this season have been lost for us from the starting moment and team selection. Bournemouth being a prime example.

Apologies in that none of the above responses are transfer related. Digressing to discussing our strikers. Emphasising that we do need back up. I think some people struggle to understand what a relegation scrap is And most of the season season ticket holders will remember that in all the relegation battles we survived prior to relegation we always had proven goalscorers. Le Tissier. Pahars. Beattie. Hell, even Rasiak contributed. He often looks sh*t but he always cropped up in the right place at the right time and often nodded in key goals as did Gabbiadini in more recent times.

Our current level of quality, aside from Ings, is much lower previous seasons. Systematic diluting down on quality.

We need a loan. Hey! Get Dembele in for a few months PL experience before Chelsea sign him although haven’t they had their transfer embargo lifted? (meaning they’ll sign him. We can’t really compete with anyone).

I hope we bring in some new coaches as Crocker arrives as our coaching has descended into woeful when you look at Adams and co. It’s hardly surprising when you look at the personnel. No offence. I’m sure Kelvin is a really nice guy but, for me, how much practical and tactical attacking awareness or closing down of opposition (like Rafa giving away Liverpool’s tactics in a superb and insightful analysis on Sky this week) can you glean from a mediocre goalkeeper?! Our club seem to appoint on affordability and likeability rather than shrewd, tactical expertise so if we do bring in any player of enough discernible quality to actually start a game, can we bring in a decent quality coach of the Buvac calibre to get the best out of our squad and academy graduates if there are any (but a real appointment rather than a planted rumour to appease our fans due to a disinterested, negligent and utterly incompetent football board).

Bowen was mentioned. Even Giroud on loan which is about as likely as Corbyn winning the election but would help. These are short term striker issues although Bowen would be long term but I’m not always sure the decent championship strikers are capable of making the leap as Adams (possibly, Sharp and others have proven. Yes Sharp came up to the league with us & then played for Sheffield United but I don’t really think is of Premier League quality, depending on your own set of values. Our club was pretty harsh on Sharp (& Adkins, Pardew, etc.) and he didn’t get a chance but we were run more ruthless & 300% more successfully then. The results speak for themselves.

Adams had enough chance and looked out of his depth.

No he hasn't, he's looked like a young player who needs a goal, against Sheff Utd for example he had a great volley that hit the post and a good header that produced a wonder save.

He's looked to me mobile, with good movement, good work rate but lacking a bit of confidence.

And he's what 22, in the PL for the first time in a team that has massively struggled and in the fixtures he played we had a difficult run of games.

Ings's run of goalscoring has coincided with easier fixtures, where there will be more chances for attackers.

Writing him off is just dumb.

No he hasn't, he's looked like a young player who needs a goal, against Sheff Utd for example he had a great volley that hit the post and a good header that produced a wonder save.

He's looked to me mobile, with good movement, good work rate but lacking a bit of confidence.

And he's what 22, in the PL for the first time in a team that has massively struggled and in the fixtures he played we had a difficult run of games.

Ings's run of goalscoring has coincided with easier fixtures, where there will be more chances for attackers.

He looked ok in pre season and scored some goals too.

Couldn't agree more. He contributed without scoring at the start of the season and then got dropped. I think there is a good player in there and Ralph is slowly introducing him back into the first team. Hopefully he get's a goal off the bench this weekend!

Read the context. IÂ’d not persist with Che in the current climate. I hadnÂ’t written Adams off for good. Now is not the time for outrageous risks. ItÂ’s too much pressure and too big a risk for young shoulders. It can ruin a young head. Youth needs nurturing. Not a baptism of fire. We may not have choice. Our owners are mere shadows. Casting dark on our success.

We are likely to be relegated unless a minor miracle happens. IÂ’ve seen many relegation battles before but never with such a poor defence and a lack of goals across the squad. We rely on too few. This is why I am worried and fear the worst. I would absolutely love to be wrong and the next 2 games will tell us more. We never totally give up hope. No matter what we may rant.

However, to risk our premier league status on a young & unproven player with another handful of games is unfair to Adams, being kind. If we lost Ings to injury - replaced by a player (Adams ) who was strangely left in the cold after having Ralph’s total faith (with with no goals to his name and low in confidence), I would say that’s way dumber than your outrageous leap of faith and blind sense of optimism but hey, it’s a football forum and it is only your opinion. I’m able to accept everyone has a right to their opinion. No matter if I thought it short sighted or “dumb”. I’d reserve judgement.

Having said that, IÂ’d take Adams over Obafemi. Unsure about Long. IÂ’d flip between the 2 with maybe favouring Long for work rate and experience which counts in a relegation battle. His goal ratio is poor as is all our remaining forwards. Statistically. We may have no option.

Ideally, I would bring in a strong loan striker as back up if I were chairman and risked losing the financial losses we face to lose. Conversely, as someone said, if we are in The Championship next season, Adams should clean up. If not, we seriously need to re-evaluate our coaching set-up and attacking options. Maybe have options to adjust to styles of attacker which hurt the opposition and suit the attacking forwards we choose. We currently seem very predictable and one dimensional, with Ralph using strange options like Djenepo & Danso as full / wing back. I personally believe this was done to bring attention to the hugely desperate need for high energy, ball winning full backs suited to the position. Ings is an intelligent striker who brings others into play. Gabbiadini used to find space and have excellent movement and positioning until Pellegrino and Hughes extreme lack of attacking sense seemed to kill all that potential dead. I donÂ’t see anywhere near that level of forward prowess at this stage from Adams & it would be unfair to expect that in his first season in the PL with a woeful defence, inadequate midfield and hugely weakened Saints squad which is why Adams is not ideal for a relegation battle.

Read the context. IÂ’d not persist with Che in the current climate. I hadnÂ’t written Adams off for good. Now is not the time for outrageous risks. ItÂ’s too much pressure and too big a risk for young shoulders. It can ruin a young head. Youth needs nurturing. Not a baptism of fire. We may not have choice. Our owners are mere shadows. Casting dark on our success.

We are likely to be relegated unless a minor miracle happens. IÂ’ve seen many relegation battles before but never with such a poor defence and a lack of goals across the squad. We rely on too few. This is why I am worried and fear the worst. I would absolutely love to be wrong and the next 2 games will tell us more. We never totally give up hope. No matter what we may rant.

However, to risk our premier league status on a young & unproven player with another handful of games is unfair to Adams, being kind. If we lost Ings to injury - replaced by a player (Adams ) who was strangely left in the cold after having Ralph’s total faith (with with no goals to his name and low in confidence), I would say that’s way dumber than your outrageous leap of faith and blind sense of optimism but hey, it’s a football forum and it is only your opinion. I’m able to accept everyone has a right to their opinion. No matter if I thought it short sighted or “dumb”. I’d reserve judgement.

Having said that, IÂ’d take Adams over Obafemi. Unsure about Long. IÂ’d flip between the 2 with maybe favouring Long for work rate and experience which counts in a relegation battle. His goal ratio is poor as is all our remaining forwards. Statistically. We may have no option.

Ideally, I would bring in a strong loan striker as back up if I were chairman and risked losing the financial losses we face to lose. Conversely, as someone said, if we are in The Championship next season, Adams should clean up. If not, we seriously need to re-evaluate our coaching set-up and attacking options. Maybe have options to adjust to styles of attacker which hurt the opposition and suit the attacking forwards we choose. We currently seem very predictable and one dimensional, with Ralph using strange options like Djenepo & Danso as full / wing back. I personally believe this was done to bring attention to the hugely desperate need for high energy, ball winning full backs suited to the position. Ings is an intelligent striker who brings others into play. Gabbiadini used to find space and have excellent movement and positioning until Pellegrino and Hughes extreme lack of attacking sense seemed to kill all that potential dead. I donÂ’t see anywhere near that level of forward prowess at this stage from Adams & it would be unfair to expect that in his first season in the PL with a woeful defence, inadequate midfield and hugely weakened Saints squad which is why Adams is not ideal for a relegation battle.

Don't really see how we buy anyone now. A couple more wins the last two games and we'd be in a good position. But the club said previously it's been hard to plan and invest not knowing what league you'll be in.

I'd imagine we will avoid bankrupted the club with more high wages. Perhaps a loan. But we didn't spent much in the summer and certainly won't now.

Think Boufal and Cedric might leave, maybe in loan again, Vesterguard might leave now he's fallen out of favour.

Hard to invest and plan when you've got on one in a position of power to sign anyone. Who is going to negotiate the deal? Our CEO can maybe use all his experience when he was buying markers and whiteboards for his marketing agency?

Don't really see how we buy anyone now. A couple more wins the last two games and we'd be in a good position. But the club said previously it's been hard to plan and invest not knowing what league you'll be in.

I'd imagine we will avoid bankrupted the club with more high wages. Perhaps a loan. But we didn't spent much in the summer and certainly won't now.

Think Boufal and Cedric might leave, maybe in loan again, Vesterguard might leave now he's fallen out of favour.

Hard to invest and plan when you've got on one in a position of power to sign anyone. Who is going to negotiate the deal? Our CEO can maybe use all his experience when he was buying markers and whiteboards for his marketing agency?

And here lies the rub. If we go down, Goa loses basically everything.

And we’re well and truly done for as a club.

So he now needs to gamble and make the signings we so desperately need.

But as already pointed out, we need to sell to buy as all of the money (apart from player sales) only covers operating costs.

We’re now in a position where Goa needs to find money from somewhere to guarantee his investment.

And here lies the rub. If we go down, Goa loses basically everything.

And we’re well and truly done for as a club.

So he now needs to gamble and make the signings we so desperately need.

But as already pointed out, we need to sell to buy as all of the money (apart from player sales) only covers operating costs.

We’re now in a position where Goa needs to find money from somewhere to guarantee his investment.

I know coming back from relegation would be difficult but surely "well and truly done for as a club" is a bit over the top?

I guess there will be zero investment in January. Gao hasn't got any money and won't invest a penny. Loans are the only option, as nobody will buy any of our current crop of players who are not in the first team picture.

Bleak future ahead.

Low expectations for this window but we badly need as a minimum one competent CB who can lead a defence.

Doesn't have to be fancy, or a long term option. Just someone who can come in and be better than what we have, which should be easy.

Are there any CBs at other PL sides who never play? Phil Jones is one, maybe we could afford him on loan for 6 months and he certainly has something to prove and is better than what we have.

I know coming back from relegation would be difficult but surely "well and truly done for as a club" is a bit over the top?

He's right though, if we go down we are in big trouble. We have to sell players to buy them now, okay we get parachute payments for a couple of years but we will need to sell anything that isn't nailed down just to survive. Goas asset with at best half in value he'll be screwed.

He's right though, if we go down we are in big trouble. We have to sell players to buy them now, okay we get parachute payments for a couple of years but we will need to sell anything that isn't nailed down just to survive. Goas asset with at best half in value he'll be screwed.

Yep, half at best.

I know some think it’s over the top, that’s up to you. Goa will do anything to make sure he get some money back. He couldn’t care less about us.

What have you seen in him to make you think everything will be handled well? Seriously?

As Turkish said it’ll be half the value it is today which means he’ll have lost a ton of money. Hence if we go down, we’re screwed.

I'd hope that all our players have contracts with a significant wage cut written in, should we go down. We aren't Man Utd, a club like ours is only ever one bad season away from the Championship, even when Koeman was in charge. To set the club up that it would bankrupt us is utterly criminal.

No doubt things will be tight for a few years but it'll be a lot easier to shift players if their wages are suddenly 20, 30 or 40% lower. Having said that, most of these contracts were given out by Reed who thought signing Carrillo was a good idea and that we'd brought the Pompey Nedved and Cornish Maldini through our academy, so we probably are screwed.

Low expectations for this window but we badly need as a minimum one competent CB who can lead a defence.

Doesn't have to be fancy, or a long term option. Just someone who can come in and be better than what we have, which should be easy.

Are there any CBs at other PL sides who never play? Phil Jones is one, maybe we could afford him on loan for 6 months and he certainly has something to prove and is better than what we have.

Tenuous link to Jean Clair Todibo from Barca at €10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenuous link to Jean Clair Todibo from Barca at €10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL the unrealistic signing rumours have started. Weren’t we linked with a Barcelona centre back a few years ago in January as well? There will be a few more of these, at best a late loan then a “we tried really hard but it’s a tough market in January”

We’ve been here before so many times

LOL the unrealistic signing rumours have started. Weren’t we linked with a Barcelona centre back a few years ago in January as well? There will be a few more of these, at best a late loan then a “we tried really hard but it’s a tough market in January”

The club are excellent at feeding the press supposed signings we are interested in but for various reasons we never actually sign these and have to settle for someone else who even if we had heard of him would be a lot less exiting then the name the club leaked .

Although this time around, surely the owner must be aware that without significant strengthening of the squad he can kiss good bye to 50% of the value of his investment.

Although this time around, surely the owner must be aware that without significant strengthening of the squad he can kiss good bye to 50% of the value of his investment.

Hasn't it been like that the last two Januarys? What did we get, Van Dijk sold and Carillo in, last year nothing. An of course the year before Fonte was sold and Van Dijk got injured with the only incoming a free transfer who never played. Hardly fills you with optimism does it.

The club are excellent at feeding the press supposed signings we are interested in but for various reasons we never actually sign these and have to settle for someone else who even if we had heard of him would be a lot less exiting then the name the club leaked .

Masters at it, they really think a few nicely worded press releases and a few rumours are enough to appease the fan base.

It's the hope that kills you.

How are we going to pay for anyone?

Sell Cedric....wasn't there a link to Wolves (or Watford)?

Sell Fraser and/or Moi.

Sell PEH (think his contract is up soon?)

Sell Maya (hope not - but contract ends in the summer I think).

Which will raise about £48.36.

So, yeah. A problem.

I have no idea if hes good but what decent CB is going to want to come and join in with a relegation fight?
The clubs scouting setup must be able to find a CB who is better than Stephens, Yoshida or Vestergaard who wants half a season in the PL shop window, or to get gametime before the Euros.

If not, it really sums up how poor the recruitment is and has been.

We don't need a long term signing with resale value, we just need a competent CB and have the whole world to find one in.

The clubs scouting setup must be able to find a CB who is better than Stephens, Yoshida or Vestergaard who wants half a season in the PL shop window, or to get gametime before the Euros.

If not, it really sums up how poor the recruitment is and has been.

We don't need a long term signing with resale value, we just need a competent CB and have the whole world to find one in.

But they have to be really cheap and young, clearly. The youth policy will be another nail in the coffin

I guess it's just me being pessimistic but is an unproven 22 year old CB from an obscure league really what we should be going for at this stage?

The unproven 20 year old winger we got from that club turned out pretty well.

The Red Bull scouting network seems pretty decent, they have a player about to go to Liverpool, a striker that is the hottest property in the world right now and supposedly going to be sold for £80 million plus.

Whilst the Bundesliga club is competing for the title on a side that probably cost less to assemble than ours, and several of them came via the Salzburg

Other clubs seem to have deals sorted for Jan 1st or shortly after (Liverpool at it again), wheras we always seem to be scrambling around at 11.55pm on deadline day. I know there are many factors at play which means its not that simple, but if we're looking at 'long term targets', why are deals not done earlier (position doesnt help i know). Having players on board earlier and getting them integrated sooner is crucial. By the time any new players do arrive by 31 Jan, our position could be beyond bleak

Other clubs seem to have deals sorted for Jan 1st or shortly after (Liverpool at it again), wheras we always seem to be scrambling around at 11.55pm on deadline day. I know there are many factors at play which means its not that simple, but if we're looking at 'long term targets', why are deals not done earlier (position doesnt help i know). Having players on board earlier and getting them integrated sooner is crucial. By the time any new players do arrive by 31 Jan, our position could be beyond bleak

Liverpool have the clout to do that though. we don't. We usually have to wait until near the end of the window once a few moves have already happened, as players realise that their agent isn't going to get them a better move than struggling little old Southampton.

Not expecting us to buy anyone. What we need most is a CB, but we already have 5 on the books + Hoedt still out on loan. Can't see us adding a 7th and it's unlikely we'll shift anyone in Jan to free up wages/budget for that.