January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

We don't need attackers unless we shift someone, Djenepo looks good, Ings is doing all right, Boufal should get played more and has looked good in the games he has got, Redmond is decent enough and I think Adams will come good, plus we have Long and Obafemi kicking about.

Centre-back, full backs and centre-mids should be priority.

How the hell we find a good centre-back in January is beyond me, but key will be to get the new Director of Football and Chief Scout or whatever they are calling it in so they can make the correct judgements and hopefully can unearth a gem or two.

A proper physical DM would be great and someone that can carry the ball in centre-mid would be amazing.

I reckon we will get a CB who is now at a lesser champions League club (Salzburg/Red Bull Leipzig squad CB) in europe but is a super experienced defender who is around 30-31 that we offer a significant wages increase for compared to what he gets now and a 2/3yr contract, so he sees it as a nice bumper retirement fund deal.

This CB will then play and act as a mentor for both Benderak/Danso as to what a proper defender does.

Edit - I for one will be keeping a eye on both Austrians and German press and also cross reference players whoever our new DOF is as I expect him to use his network to get in deals done in Jan, the player transfer expert will be focused on getting the **** out in June.

Edited by Convict Colony

A centre back who has been and done it would be nice. I don't particularly rate the bloke, but we missed a trick with Cahill in hindsight.

We need to - cleverly - throw some money into the squad. But if they're going to back the manager, then they need to do it financially and not just in the telegraph.

Did you see Cahill's contribution to Arsenal's goals on Sunday?

We need a couple of lumps as centre halfs from L1 or the Championship whodont play fancy but do not worry toget in the wayof the ball. Afterall we will probably need that experience next season. Sheff Utds back four cost less than 5m,they just do their joband thats stop goals.

We need a couple of lumps as centre halfs from L1 or the Championship whodont play fancy but do not worry toget in the wayof the ball. Afterall we will probably need that experience next season. Sheff Utds back four cost less than 5m,they just do their joband thats stop goals.

Yep, nothing progressive or unusual about Sheffield United's centre halves. Nothing at all.

They didnt start that way, they were coach to play that way by a very good manager. They weren't brought from Real Madrid BTW

Yes. Their job is not only to stop goals, which is what you said explicitly. Implicitly, you suggested they were lumps, which they're not.

Why is everyone ignoring Wanyama? He was about to go to Belgium. He's 28, experienced and was top quality not too long ago. This isn't a washed up player with no hope, he just needs a fresh start and to play every week.

Given our position, how do we get better? We can't keep just signing players for the future.

He was close to retiring due to injuries, this is his last chance to see if he can still cut it. Not an ideal signing for us

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Martin Caceres was a strange signing, he was quality at the time, 29 years old, operate as a left or right back but only played 1 game for us.

If the new Player Expert can find an experienced Central defender of that quality who could organise our defence on the pitch it would be a big plus.

Martin Caceres was a strange signing, he was quality at the time, 29 years old, operate as a left or right back but only played 1 game for us.

If the new Player Expert can find an experienced Central defender of that quality who could organise our defence on the pitch it would be a big plus.

Les was convinced we had uncovered the next Beckenbauer.

Wanyama’s days of playing in a top level league are done. He’d just be another squad member taking up a lot of wages here. Came on earlier in the season for Tottenham and looked well out of his depth. Plus he caught that big time attitude when linked with moves away. Multiple brainless sending offs in his final season, him and Mane turning up late for the 3-2 vs Liverpool, meaning they were benched before being needed in the second half and then opting out of playing the Europa League qualifier vs Midtjylland. Sadly, he isn’t the leader we are currently crying out for.

He made perfect sense really. The plan was obviously to give Stephens game time alongside Virgil, with the grand plan for him to be this wonderful youth player, hot off our production line, to replace Fonte in the middle of defence. Caceres was signed as experienced cover, in case JS struggled or got injured. It was only ever a short term deal to cover the gap in our squad left by Fonte’s departure.

Wanyama? Jeez, at least Hojbjerg is capable of actually walking out onto the pitch every game.

Yeah definite no to having broken wanyama back.

I don't even think a defensive mid is the prime priority other areas of concern.

I think central mid is a key area of concern generally.

They are generally very important to most teams and shapes, but for what Ralf wants to do, especially if he wants to implement his 4-2-2-2 properly (which would also be dependent on at least one good centre-back coming in) the big issue we have is central midfield.

Romeu and Hojberg are slightly different flavours of the same player, both can tackle, both are good at intercepting, winning the back, working hard etc.

Neither does very much when they get the ball, which often ends up with our front 4 becoming detached from the rest of the team, starved of quality balls, with Hojberg and Romeu unable to find creative passes, often quickly enough, to create chances in the transition.

Neither can travel with the ball either, beat a man in midfield, break out of a block with some quick feet from deep to start an attack.

JWP does not offer an alternative here either, he is somewhat of an enigma, he is more attacking than those two, can probably find a pass better than those two but is not massively creative either and whilst works very hard is not as good defensively.

Armstrong is a move traditional get in the box type attacking centre-mid that doesn't fit the system.

Lemina would be perfect for it, but he doesn't want to be here.

If you look at Ralf's success at RB Leipzig it was built around

A quick little guy and bigger but still mobile target man up front.

Two wide attackers/AMCs that kind of operate in the half spaces.

A DM that could tackle/intercept that was more defensive of the midfield two.

Nabby Keita as the other centre-mid, who was more creative and was able to do the tackling, intercepting, whilst also find passes forward and dribble out of presses and blocks to create attacks and put the opposition on the back foot.

We can probably fudge the strikers into something that works using what we have, all our strikers can press, work hard and are decently quick, Ings and Long are ok in the air though a decent more physical target man option is desirable.

We have the wide players in Redmond, Boufal and Djenepo to work the system, JWP might even work here as an option, seeing as he whilst he can;t dribble his crossing, passing and work rate would be useful.

In Hojberg and Romeu we have DMs that can tackle, intercept and pass ok.]

But we are missing that link midfielder.

I think finding that should be a priority (along with a centre-back), such players are of course rare and known ones are expensive, but we are basically looking for a Lemina with a better attitude.

I think finding that should be a priority (along with a centre-back), such players are of course rare and known ones are expensive, but we are basically looking for a Lemina with a better attitude.

And therein lies the problem. A Lemina with a better attitude would be well above our price range and likely wouldn't come to a club like Saints anyway.

I think central mid is a key area of concern generally.

They are generally very important to most teams and shapes, but for what Ralf wants to do, especially if he wants to implement his 4-2-2-2 properly (which would also be dependent on at least one good centre-back coming in) the big issue we have is central midfield.

Romeu and Hojberg are slightly different flavours of the same player, both can tackle, both are good at intercepting, winning the back, working hard etc.

Neither does very much when they get the ball, which often ends up with our front 4 becoming detached from the rest of the team, starved of quality balls, with Hojberg and Romeu unable to find creative passes, often quickly enough, to create chances in the transition.

Neither can travel with the ball either, beat a man in midfield, break out of a block with some quick feet from deep to start an attack.

JWP does not offer an alternative here either, he is somewhat of an enigma, he is more attacking than those two, can probably find a pass better than those two but is not massively creative either and whilst works very hard is not as good defensively.

Armstrong is a move traditional get in the box type attacking centre-mid that doesn't fit the system.

Lemina would be perfect for it, but he doesn't want to be here.

If you look at Ralf's success at RB Leipzig it was built around

A quick little guy and bigger but still mobile target man up front.

Two wide attackers/AMCs that kind of operate in the half spaces.

A DM that could tackle/intercept that was more defensive of the midfield two.

Nabby Keita as the other centre-mid, who was more creative and was able to do the tackling, intercepting, whilst also find passes forward and dribble out of presses and blocks to create attacks and put the opposition on the back foot.

We can probably fudge the strikers into something that works using what we have, all our strikers can press, work hard and are decently quick, Ings and Long are ok in the air though a decent more physical target man option is desirable.

We have the wide players in Redmond, Boufal and Djenepo to work the system, JWP might even work here as an option, seeing as he whilst he can;t dribble his crossing, passing and work rate would be useful.

In Hojberg and Romeu we have DMs that can tackle, intercept and pass ok.]

But we are missing that link midfielder.

agree with this, i said something similar before. but re. jwp his fabled workrate involves him running close to player with the ball, it doesn't involve him tackling or making any kind of effort to recover the ball. he's a timid, weak and slow player who adds nothing defensively. also he rarely passes forward, which effectively rules him out of contributing in any passage of play.

in january, if we're lucky enough to get there with ralph still in charge, we need an experienced CB to play alongside bednarek or danso more preferably as i think the former is too slow, and organize the back 4. kjaer has been mentioned on here and i think someone of his type will be within our reach with ~10mil enough to get him. as for the CM we need, i don't think we'll have the budget for it as it would take upwards of 30m to get anyone decent, which is way too high for us since our "billionaire" owner allegedly doesn't have a pot to p!ss in. so i guess we'll have to crawl through to the summer with our current selection of plodders in midfield.

Why is everyone ignoring Wanyama? He was about to go to Belgium. He's 28, experienced and was top quality not too long ago. This isn't a washed up player with no hope, he just needs a fresh start and to play every week.

Given our position, how do we get better? We can't keep just signing players for the future.

Given the injury concerns, I'd take him on loan first to see where he is fitness wise.

He had an horrific injury record at the time and was I think released by Juve as a result, hence he was a free agent. We need some emergency cover, although in the end we didn't, and let him go, it was a shame but understandable, because he was/is a good player. He wasn't really a CB, quite diminutive, more often played on the right of a back 3. Hasn't played much since, which sort of justifies our decision not to take him permanently. Not many players can claim a 100% win rate in games played, and collect an EFL Cup runners up medal.

Would prefer Morgan.

And therein lies the problem. A Lemina with a better attitude would be well above our price range and likely wouldn't come to a club like Saints anyway.
This is just nonsense. Loads of teams on smaller budgets than us have somehow managed to accrue decent midfielders that are better than our options. Aston Villa signed John McGinn for just £2.8m, for goodness sake.

Just because our useless recruitment team are in the habit of throwing £15m-£20m at any old garbage, regardless of talent, doesn't mean that we're operating at the maximum we possibly can within the current market. It just means we're really crap at recruitment.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Who would be better, given our position and need for a strong CM? We aren't going to get anyone with experience who is on top of their game. It'll be people out of favour needed a fresh start. Wanyama is not the only player who has struggled for form at Spurs recently. His career is far from over. There were no reports of any failed medicals, just not thinking Belgium was the right move.
Our need for a strong midfielder? I think our need for a midfielder who can actually run is a greater priority. Adding a broken Wanyama to the plodding brigade of Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse doesn't address any of our shortcomings.

And STILL none of them pass forwards.

Our need for a strong midfielder? I think our need for a midfielder who can actually run is a greater priority. Adding a broken Wanyama to the plodding brigade of Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse doesn't address any of our shortcomings.

And STILL none of them pass forwards.

100% this, we probably have the worst CM options in the league. We can talk about individual mistakes in defence but the lack of protection from our midfield is also alarming

We’re gonna have trouble attracting players imo. Who wants to come to a club who’ve flirted with relegation for the last two seasons, currently in or around the bottom 3 again, and with a 9-0 defeat to their name? It’s gonna take a huge change in fortunes over the next two months for us not to be odds on relegation candidates by the time the window opens.

Short term loans might be the best we can hope for.

We’re gonna have trouble attracting players imo. Who wants to come to a club who’ve flirted with relegation for the last two seasons, currently in or around the bottom 3 again, and with a 9-0 defeat to their name? It’s gonna take a huge change in fortunes over the next two months for us not to be odds on relegation candidates by the time the window opens.

This is an obvious, but very valid point. Wilson and Semmens spoke about it during the last fans forum as well, with the added point that being in a relegation battle (as we are again) also means that planning becomes more short term.

agree that our reputation is at its lowest, but we still offer pl standard wages which'll be enough to turn heads of players from other leagues. but the stumbling block would be the prices we'd be asked by their clubs.

an experienced CB should be available for relatively low fees, but the CM we'd need is surely out of our price range unless ofcourse we unearth a gem available at around our price range. mcginn is an example. but for that to happen, our scouting and recruitment needs to have improved massively from its current state of googling and watching youtube clips of players.

That's my view, as well. Half season loans, so they're not tied to us if we go down. See if we can get a few squad players from around the Prem league. Mix of young guns - like Martinelli, Brewster types. Add in some experience - a Giroud type. If only we had a DoF who could spend him time researching candidates. :)

Beray Ayberk Ozdemir | Southampton tracking progress of young midfielder but face German and Italian competition

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-tracking-progress-young-midfielder-face-german-italian-competition/

Is that just agent talk though? It's easy to say any club is tracking any player because it's probably true. Most clubs nowadays have their own version of the 'black box'. It doesn't mean they have any intention of buying that player.

Ozdemir has been playing on loan to Hacettepe Spor Kulübü from Gençlerbirliği. If he was any good, surely one of the big Turkish clubs would have taken him?

Beray Ayberk Ozdemir | Southampton tracking progress of young midfielder but face German and Italian competition

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-tracking-progress-young-midfielder-face-german-italian-competition/

midfielder obsession and central defender blindness continues, then

Plus in the "one for the future" camp rather than the 'need for now'. If there's any truth in it.

then there's the attack and the goalkeeper
Attack is good enough with Djenepo Ings Boufal Redmond Adams, our best Keeper is constantly sat on the bench so McCarthy for me is good enough.

I feel we need at least 1 CB a commanding one at that, a left Back and a CDM

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Attack is more than fine if they had the service that pelle and mane had and McCarthy is more than good enough

I do wonder if sorting our defence out will result in the rest of the team performing better. Cant help wondering that our ****e back 4/5 spreads uncertainty and crapness throughout the whole team.

I do wonder if sorting our defence out will result in the rest of the team performing better. Cant help wondering that our ****e back 4/5 spreads uncertainty and crapness throughout the whole team.

I think also the fact that our slow and ponderous transition from the plodders in the midfield three makes it very hard for the front three to really get into the game.

If we had midfielders who were actually good at making forward runs or incisive passes once they've won the ball back then I'm certain we would begin to see much better performances from the front players.

Five at the back and three midfielders who can't pass forwards certainly limits our attacking threat.

1.Right back with more height than Cedric,

2.Competition for Bertrand

3.A cb that’s got legs that move quickly and can mark.

4.A central midfielder who can tackle, pass and run quickly

Sell:

Stephens

Bednarek

Jwp

Hojbjerg

I reckon we'll see one CM in and possibly Long go on loan somewhere. Eight is a fairly high number of player movements in summer, let alone January and we certainly wont sell the four you've named.

A centre back who has been and done it would be nice. I don't particularly rate the bloke, but we missed a trick with Cahill in hindsight.

We need to - cleverly - throw some money into the squad. But if they're going to back the manager, then they need to do it financially and not just in the telegraph.

Looking down a league, there's Hegazi and Martins Indi that could be available for a cheapy (seeing as I'd be surprised if we had much in the way of money for squad investment come January). #justsaying

Heck, I'd happily take Phil Jones off United's hands if the price was right. Or anyone half decent just to change things up.

Is that just agent talk though? It's easy to say any club is tracking any player because it's probably true. Most clubs nowadays have their own version of the 'black box'. It doesn't mean they have any intention of buying that player.

Ozdemir has been playing on loan to Hacettepe Spor Kulübü from Gençlerbirliği. If he was any good, surely one of the big Turkish clubs would have taken him?

Probably is agent talk in fairness- just saw it and thought it was worth putting in here just in case it gets brought up again.