January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

According to reports, the bid for Adams was £2m loan fee and and obligation to buy for another £20m in summer.

If this is true, I personally would’ve taken it and got another striker in?

We wouldn’t have been able to do a deal like that for a decent striker. Adams is worth keeping in my view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to reports, the bid for Adams was £2m loan fee and and obligation to buy for another £20m in summer.

Difficult one. How long do you keep faith with a striker that’s just not scoring or more worrying, not getting into positions to score? Now is not the right time to sell IMO and to place a condition of the full sale on Leeds gaining promotion was certainly a deal breaker. If another bid comes in the summer I think I would be sorely tempted to find another solution, but my feeling is Saints will give him another season with Ralph.

We wouldn’t have been able to do a deal like that for a decent striker. Adams is worth keeping in my view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adams isn't a decent striker, though.

A potential £22m for him is an insane amount to turn down.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Adams isn't a decent striker, though.

A potential £22m for him is an insane amount to turn down.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It's £2m, as we wouldn't have the full amount to spend now, so wouldn't be able to get anyone decent in. We're skint.

Even if we had £22m to spend, which striker would you buy who is better than Adams?

Even if we had £22m to spend, which striker would you buy who is better than Adams?

We wouldn't buy a replacement. We would promote one of the up and coming youngsters whose path had been blocked to the bloated first team squad which is too big for Ralph anyway. Apparently. We'd keep the money and those awful agents fees and wages. It's the Southampton / Gao Way.

See I love this question because it really isn't the job of a random fan to reel off a list of names. Did anyone know who mane was before we signed him? Pelle wasn't that well known either, nor was djenepo or any other number of players we have signed. I'm certain there are strikers available who are better than Adams for 22 million or less. I'm not saying we should sell him but if we do we should be able to find a replacement.

See I love this question because it really isn't the job of a random fan to reel off a list of names. Did anyone know who mane was before we signed him? Pelle wasn't that well known either, nor was djenepo or any other number of players we have signed. I'm certain there are strikers available who are better than Adams for 22 million or less. I'm not saying we should sell him but if we do we should be able to find a replacement.

Fair point however even crap like Tosun and Haller cost over £30m and £22m is only a little more than we spent on Carrillo. Plus what we spent on Mane in 2014 is probably more like £30m in 2020 money.

Haller was £45 million and has 6 in 19.

Tosun was £27 million (2 years ago) and has a record of 10 in 47 in the PL.

Joelinton was £40 million and has 1 goal in 22 so far.

Batshuayi was £33 million (4 years ago) and 8 in 46 for Chelsea, (and 5 in 11 for Palace)

Slimani was £28 million (4 years ago again) and has 8 in 35 for Leicester, and then 0 in 4 for Newcastle.

Benteke was £32 million (4 years ago again) and has 19 in 97 for Palace, and only 4 goals in his last 60 games as well.

Wesley was £22 million and has 5 in 21 for Villa (and now is out injured for 9 months)

Solanke was £19 million and currently has zero goals for Bournemouth and only 1 career goal outside 7 goals scored in the Dutch league.

Spending big money on striker is a risky and often unsuccessful business, the only scorers in the top 10 scorers in the league this year that haven't been in the league for quite a while are Jimenez and Pukki. Jimenez initially came on loan and Pukki is pretty much a journeyman striker who had has carried on an excellent championship seasons.

If you look at the rest there are lots of English players in there - Ings, Vardy, Sterling, Kane, Abrahams, Rashford, several of them through the academy of those clubs, and there are people who have been here a good 3/4 years at least like Aguero, Salah, Aubameyang etc.

Ings is probably one of the most successful striker signings of recent PL history.

It would clearly be hard for us to go out and spend £30, even £40 million and get a regular goalscorer in the PL, even with that sort of money you have to lucky and it would probably take the player a while to get used to the league.

That Leeds were apparently willing to spend over £20 million as Championship club to buy a striker with no PL goals probably highlights the problem.

Edited by tajjuk

Batshuayi was £33 million (4 years ago) and 8 in 46 for Chelsea, (and 5 in 11 for Palace)

Slimani was £28 million (4 years ago again) and has 8 in 35 for Leicester, and then 0 in 4 for Newcastle.

Benteke was £32 million (4 years ago again) and has 19 in 97 for Palace, and only 4 goals in his last 60 games as well.

Wesley was £22 million and has 5 in 21 for Villa (and now is out injured for 9 months)

Solanke was £19 million and currently has zero goals for Bournemouth and only 1 career goal outside 7 goals scored in the Dutch league.

Spending big money on striker is a risky and often unsuccessful business, the only scorers in the top 10 scorers in the league this year that haven't been in the league for quite a while are Jimenez and Pukki. Jimenez initially came on loan and Pukki is pretty much a journeyman striker who had has carried on an excellent championship seasons.

If you look at the rest there are lots of English players in there - Ings, Vardy, Sterling, Kane, Abrahams, Rashford, several of them through the academy of those clubs, and there are people who have been here a good 3/4 years at least like Aguero, Salah, Aubameyang etc.

Ings is probably one of the most successful striker signings of recent PL history.

It would clearly be hard for us to go out and spend £30, even £40 million and get a regular goalscorer in the PL, even with that sort of money you have to lucky and it would probably take the player a while to get used to the league.

That Leeds were apparently willing to spend over £20 million as Championship club to buy a striker with no PL goals probably highlights the problem.

A post with a bit of realism, it has no place on this forum.

Totally agree and I expect Ralph never trusted the board to get a replacement in time.

I have it on good authority that the intention was to sell and bring in a lad from Arsenal. I've not had an update but the young strikers at Arsenal are getting game time. It's only a guess, but I reckon that the replacement didn't come off so he's staying, at least for now.

Fair point however even crap like Tosun and Haller cost over £30m and £22m is only a little more than we spent on Carrillo. Plus what we spent on Mane in 2014 is probably more like £30m in 2020 money.

I just don't believe that we would be unable to find a striker better than Adams without breaking our record transfer fee. OK you could argue we would maybe have to spend 25-30 million but it's not like Adams is a world beater even if I still believe he has a bit of potential. Again, I don't really want to sell him but I'd bet we could get someone as "successful" with the cash.

Edited by hypochondriac

Blimey, that puts transfer fees and expectations in perspective. Thank you for the summary.

Whilst informative, looking at scoring rates on their own are a bit simplistic. Someone described Long as the modern day Ormerod, not for his playing style but because when he plays he allows other players to flourish. I'd be very satisfied with a striker with an average goalscoring rate to compete with Long who allows the likes of Ings to do his stuff. If we aren't selling him, maybe Adams will become that player.

This has been a fantastic transfer window for the bean counters at Britannia Road. No doubt Chairman Gao will be a very happy man on Saturday.

Not saying that many of us of the "told you so" brigade will be that surprised 'though.

Good job we've got a top ten squad and lots of promising youngsters ready to step in.

Nketiah? (he said wishing that could happen)

The name wasn't given, but that would be my guess as he left Leeds to go back to Arsenal. Either way, Adams is here for the foreseeable at least and hopefully he'll come good.

Carillo was £20m and got one assist

Got to wonder why nobody in Europe has really gone for Maehle despite him bring known about for 2 years and Genk being a club thats always willing to sell.

Can only assume that scouts see things in his game that fans don't get in 5min YT videos?

He has also yet to make a senior appearance for Denmark FWIW, their current RB is a 30yo Brentford player.

Re KWP - strange we seemingly couldn't agree an option, which is a bit of a red flag for hoping to sign him permanently if he does well.

Habib Diallo has been linked with Chelsea at about that price. I imagine someone has mentioned him this thread already, but he has scored quite a few goals in recent times for Metz. I don't know if he is better than Che, but there are always options.

There might be someone there might not, but we need to think carefully about who we buy.

For a club like us (and most IMO), if you give up on players you spend big money on, you didn't do your research properly before buying them. So there's clearly reasons we wanted Adams and spent a lot on him. Those reasons haven't gone away just because he hasn't had the best start here. Carrillo was clearly a panic buy and frankly ridiculous. But Adams seemed fairly well thought out. If we ditch him do we then ditch the next guy too if they don't work out in 6 months? It just doesn't seem very well run.

I'd rather Adams stays and we see if he can do anything the rest of the season or into next season. Ings/Adams/Long/Obafemi is a good set of options, it's the rest of the squad that needs improvement and more options. I doubt Ralph is crying out for a new striker.

we should have ley leeds have adams and signed Augustine who Ralph clearly rated from his time at red bull

IMO the difference between Gallagher and Adams wasn't that much. Time will tell if we shouldn't had persisted more with Gallagher, or Adams is indeed 3 times better, as in their respective valuations.

Adams scored lots of goals in the championship. Gallagher hasn’t scored many this season. Whoever made the call obviously thinks that Adams is a better bet.

Post of the week. Puts it all in some perspective........

Although I think it’s worth pointing out sub appearances can skew these stats very unfavourably it makes Adams look worse also when commentators say he hasn’t scored in 20 games etc when starts wise he hasn’t had half of that.. I’d snap your arm of for batshuayi also and I’m sure he would have been pretty prolific if his 46 games were all starts ?

IMO the difference between Gallagher and Adams wasn't that much. Time will tell if we shouldn't had persisted more with Gallagher, or Adams is indeed 3 times better, as in their respective valuations.

Gallagher is a League 1 striker at best and has rarely troubled the net in the Championship. I have no idea why people think we should have stuck with him. If he’d never been at Saints and we signed him tomorrow with that record, everyone would be fuming.

As as with ever window, Saints will over promise and under deliver.

Incredible... we’ve actually outdone my very limited expectations and made our squad weaker :lol::lol:

Comical. Get Gao the **** out of our club now.

We can't risk another Carillo, Osvaldo, Ramirez, Lemina sort of signing, we're still paying the price for those now.

We are crying out for a player like Lemina in our midfield. Seems crazy he’s out on loan but there was clearly some underlying issue we were not privy to. Whether it was his “bad” mental attitude which was fed to the press or more contractual, payment clauses for appearances. I have no idea but - knowing our club - it is tangible to consider Lemina may have been pushed out on a move elsewhere to avoid paying an appearance clause lump. Only conjecture. Just seems a shame a player of his undoubted quality is on loan elsewhere. He’s the exact sort of player an ambitious club should be going for (Wolves previously showed interest and they seem to have risen above us in Premier League status now. Ambition)

meanwhile, are you seeing us win another transfer window.

Net spend winners again!!

9th in the PL and a sustainable transfer model isn't something to be mocked. This squad is fine for the rst if the season. The summer will see a new recruitment backroom staff appointment it is then the best time for squad surgery, not the inflated January window.

9th in the PL and a sustainable transfer model isn't something to be mocked. This squad is fine for the rst if the season. The summer will see a new recruitment backroom staff appointment it is then the best time for squad surgery, not the inflated January window.

This is a weaker squad than the one who lost 9-0 only 2 months ago and have been nothing short of disgraceful for 3/4 of the season.

It’s fortunate that we have a very very good manager and a striker who’s hit a bit of form (which will drop off).

There is nothing sustainable about making a weak squad weaker, every window.

Absolutely, although I'd argue that we need another CM player too, especially if Cedric goes and JWP becomes our RB back up.

This is a weaker squad than the one who lost 9-0 only 2 months ago and have been nothing short of disgraceful for 3/4 of the season.

It’s fortunate that we have a very very good manager and a striker who’s hit a bit of form (which will drop off).

We’ve also benefited from what is probably an all-time record low of injuries.

1) I'm puzzled how a disgraceful for 3/4 of the season team can have 31 points and be 9th?

2) It isn't a weak squad, now playing in a system and formation that suits them they have a good chance of a top half finish

3) Sure some extra quality players would be nice. But getting the new recruitment man as the club have said will arrive in the summer is key to any future transfer strategy. Spending money before he arrived and in an inflated January market isn't a good idea