January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Is your sad little life that boring that you just try to start an argument over anything on an Internet forum :lol:

But it’s clear because he is significantly better than ANY CM we have. Good on the ball, good going forwards, not too bad defensively either. A proper box to box player which we don’t have, and need.

And too old for us

Is your sad little life that boring that you just try to start an argument over anything on an Internet forum :lol:

But it’s clear because he is significantly better than ANY CM we have. Good on the ball, good going forwards, not too bad defensively either. A proper box to box player which we don’t have, and need.

He moves on if you fully ignore him. He uses the "lamesaint" username too occasionally.

My advice just ignore both of his trolling accounts.

on Romaine Sawyers he will go up with WBA this season. He wouldn't swap for us now

Sorry quitter but if you think that post is trying to start an argument then you are a bit of a touchy boy. :lol:

the post you make out is only realy your blinkered opinion nithing more

He is champoinship player (currently) he could be good in the PL but its not a given and its not clear he is better than ours untill he has proved it, so calm down knub nuts

He moves on if you fully ignore him. He uses the "lamesaint" username too occasionally.

My advice just ignore both of his trolling accounts.

on Romaine Sawyers he will go up with WBA this season. He wouldn't swap for us now

The big Troll triggered, your ignore set up is clearly not working is it ? probably a lie like you betting bull shyte :lol:

It was interesting to see a Watford, a club I’ve always considered to be a small premier league club/middle sized championship club were able to sign a player for £30m this summer and have spent £90m more than they’ve made from sales in the last five years whilst we had to sell to buy players this summer and all the ones before that.

It was interesting to see a Watford, a club I’ve always considered to be a small premier league club/middle sized championship club were able to sign a player for £30m this summer and have spent £90m more than they’ve made from sales in the last five years whilst we had to sell to buy players this summer and all the ones before that.

Watford still had to sell someone for 18m in order to be able to bring in Sarr.

Saints bought £52m, sold 24m this season

Watford still had to sell someone for 18m in order to be able to bring in Sarr.

Saints bought £52m, sold 24m this season

Gabbiadini £12m, Austin £4m, Gallagher £5m, target £17m is a lot more than £24m pal.

we bought Adams £16m, djenepo £15m, Ings came out of last seasons budget so actually £38m earnt and £31m spent.

This year Watford spent £36m and sold £19m

How do you explain Watford have spent £90m more than they’ve sold over the last 5 years whilst we’ve made a profit?

Well you included 15/16, their first season up wasn’t it?when they accrued 66m of that. Most teams do that, accessing tv money whilst their wage bills probably are lower.

Then there’s the fact their wage bill is probably lower than ours.

Then there’s the fact they aren’t owned by GAO.

Well you included 15/16, their first season up wasn’t it?when they accrued 66m of that. Most teams do that, accessing tv money whilst their wage bills probably are lower.

Then there’s the fact their wage bill is probably lower than ours.

Then there’s the fact they aren’t owned by GAO.

We pay more in wages. Its not all about transfer fees[/

Interesting theory. Don’t we always say that lots of players are ruled out due to wages. So Do we pay more wages than Bournemouth who have a £133m spend or West Ham who

Have a £155m spend or Leicester who have a £112’ positive spend in the same period we’ve made a profit yet still have to sell to buy?

No one has ever been able to explain why we have to sell players to buy them, the only club that has to do this. It's incredible, our wage bill is high but 10th out of premier league clubs but lower than Crystal Palace £56m net spend) Leicester (£112m Net spend) and only slightly more than Bournemouth (£133m net spend) West Ham (£155m net spend) and Newcastle (£107m). Agents fess, bonuses and NI contributions are a load of bo1locks as everyone else has to pay them.

No one has ever been able to explain why we have to sell players to buy them, the only club that has to do this. It's incredible, our wage bill is high but 10th out of premier league clubs but lower than Crystal Palace £56m net spend) Leicester (£112m Net spend) and only slightly more than Bournemouth (£133m net spend) West Ham (£155m net spend) and Newcastle (£107m). Agents fess, bonuses and NI contributions are a load of bo1locks as everyone else has to pay them.

Because we’re a balance sheet football club and in this day and age at our level, unless you’re really lucky, you won’t survive with that mentality.

We could still act as a stepping stone club, but Unless you’re willing to spend c.25-30m on potential, you’re gonna drop eventually.

Basically, it’s penny pinching and it’s not worked.

My Xmas list for New Year would be:

A decent Centre Half - £20m+ (lose any of our current mob apart from possibly Bednerak?)

A left footed midfielder/attacker - £15m ish (possibly lose Armstrong?)

with a bit of pace

A tall forward, good in the air - £5m/£10m (lose Shane Long?)

(not necessarily a starter)

Cant see any of this happening unfortunately despite the fact that we have approx £75m of 'Talent' out on loan ie Forster/Elonouyssi/Carillo/Hoedt/Lemina

I don't think a midfielder is anywhere near top of Ralph's January transfer wishlist. I think he believes jwp, Armstrong, hoj and rom is good enough to beat the drop. well I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think best we could hope for is a backup LB, possibly also a RB IF the greatest RB ever Cedric leaves for real Madrid or Barcelona. That maehle fella looking pretty decent this season as well I see.

= first priority is right back and centre back

Next I think goalkeeper, McCarthy flapping costs is goals at man city arsenal and again today

Then extra central midfielder

First priority must be centre back as it has been for seasons. Danso was a total waste when we were crying out for upgrades and he had only ever been played out of position. Utterly bizarre, as is many of our decisions in this seemingly rudderless ship. I’m hoping Crocker can steady us away from the rocks but I can’t see is avoiding relegation as predicted from the start of the season when we neglected our defence for a third season. We had been sussed by the opposition & went on a third season with this bunch. Unbelievable neglect, incompetency or naivety to not learn from your mistakes and riding your luck. Heed your warnings.

I’d also invest in top quality coaching staff starting at goalkeeping coaches as all our young goalkeepers with great potential are deteriorating at SFC. Look at Forster now, even Gazzaniga improved at Spurs but I won’t hold my breath for Tommy Forecast. That was a Lowe purchase so beyond redemption. ;o) We really need to look at our GK coaching.

Ideally in Jan, CB, RB and if possible, a robust bulldozer of a midfielder. Breaking up the play but adept at passing well.

I don’t expect any of it but if we don’t sign a CB and prevent throwing away further (relegation battle) matches (& points), CONTINUALLY, we are as good as relegated. I don’t see three worse teams. Our defence is the worst in the league.

My list in order of priority hasn't much changed since earlier posts, and is probably similar to most people's:

CB

RB

LB

DM

Centre Back has to be addressed. The problem is we have tons of crap ones on the books sucking up the wages and TBF, we need a top class Centre Back to come in which requires superb scouting - something we've not been great at for years.

Right Back - again we already have two which is an issue, but Cedric is a liability and Valery is the future. Cedric needs to be sold/loaned out and a new one brought in.

Left Back - OK we have Bertrand as a starter, but he's been far from his best for some time now, and with no back up left back seemingly as Ralph is unwilling to try Vokins, we end up playing out of position players there. If anything I'd be bringing someone in that could ultimately displace Bertrand as first choice.

Defensive Midfield - If the centre backs are going to continue to ship goals, then a brick ****house Wanyama-esque defensive midfielder is needed. But then Ralph seems unwilling to play the only one we have on the books in Romeu, so I think this will be less high up on the priority list.

The attack is fine, I can't see anything happening there, which is a shame as I would be all over Bowen otherwise. Goalkeeper? Well we are supposed to have two good ones on the books, but they've both been poor this year. Still I can't see anything happening there. If Gunn is the future, maybe we should just play him - he'd certainly be first choice in the Championship if we go down.

I can't see 4 players being brought in in January, so even if we bring 2 in, it needs to be a right back and centre back.

I mean really we need -

CB (probably two)

RB

LB (back up)

GK (older one while Gunn develops IMO and one better than McCarthy)

2 DMs (playmaker one and proper mobile physical one)

AM (playmaker in Tadic style)

Target man.

Which is whole team.

But a CB has to be the priority, someone with some leadership and physical presence, but also some pace.

And then probably a full back for the right side, we know Cedric is leaving anyway and he doesn't seem to be putting it fully in (though not as bad as some are making it out) and Valery is still very work in progress.

The attack is fine, I can't see anything happening there

Is it? Pretty much all of our goals have been scored by one player who has a history of missing large parts of the season through injury.

What's the plan if that happens again, as we must imagine there's a decent chance.

I don't think a midfielder is anywhere near top of Ralph's January transfer wishlist. I think he believes jwp, Armstrong, hoj and rom is good enough to beat the drop. well I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think best we could hope for is a backup LB, possibly also a RB IF the greatest RB ever Cedric leaves for real Madrid or Barcelona. That maehle fella looking pretty decent this season as well I see.

Yeah he has looks like a key piece of our jigsaw.

He intercepts balls so he can launch counter attacks.

is fast and tall and is physical (no more long balls towards cedric from the opposition)

And based on this clip he prefers direct or slide passes over crosses. I think that is important based on Che at Brum last year he preferred that style of pass to get his goals, it could mean him and Danny unleashed a lot earlier.

watch?v=SWBzvdhCoK4

Is it? Pretty much all of our goals have been scored by one player who has a history of missing large parts of the season through injury.

What's the plan if that happens again, as we must imagine there's a decent chance.

The reasoning is that if the defence improves, things at the top of the park will improve too. Redmond is out of form but will improve, and we have Djenepo and Boufal too, not to mention JWP and Armstrong that can play more advanced roles. Oh, and Sims back from his loan. I’d be massively surprised if we brought in an attacking midfielder with all those on the books. As for strikers... we’ll after spending £15 million on Adams in the summer, again I’d be massively surprised if we spent more on a striker, although as Long would be going in the summer most likely, I think that position would be addressed then. The defence needs sorting way more than the attack, and from what I read on here, it seems like we’re going to have limited funds to do even that!

Right back and Centre back are a must. I know the model is to buy young, but I feel we need a relatively experienced centre back to make sure we see out games without hanging on and having a bit of game management.

Cedric is absolutely pathetic and needs to be sold in January. Valery isn't good enough defensively, but good going forwards.

The attack is strong enough and I don't feel needs addressing.

Goalkeeper for me. We have a dodgy defence who'd benefit hugely from a calm presence behind them. We've completed fcked up the keeper's position for years now and it's hurting us.

People go easy on McCarthy because he replaced woefully off form Forster then Gunn. But there's a reason he hasn't played much at this level, he's a really poor all round keeper. It's not the massive howlers all keepers make at some stage, it's just consistently conceding slightly soft goals and making poor decisions. Flapping at crosses and not dominating the box has really cost us recently.

Hoping Ralph has some keeping ideas from the Bundesliga. Gunn can learn alongside someone decent and experienced. But right now, ridiculously, our best keeper is Forster.

Someone with experience would be ideal, 32+ years old. Any reserve keepers about that were first choice in the prem for a number of years?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A very fair point and a new issue that I’ve been discussing my friends. Well Ings stay there until May, probably not and we’ve had our longest run with him so we are riding a luck. If we bring in a loan, we need an established scorer not a work in progress to come straight into the squad for a relegation battle and all a loan would probably be best bet as our future is murky.

Our defence counteracts our attacking positivity (despite us needing 5 chances to convert 1) so that’s the immediate area of concern (as it has been for 3 season, can’t let that dig go) but if Ings goes down, we have an entirely bigger problem). If we don’t act in January, we will go down and we will deserve it for being the most idiotic and complacent football club in the league. 3 relegation battles with pretty much the same, pitiful defence.

A very fair point and a new issue that I’ve been discussing my friends. Well Ings stay there until May, probably not and we’ve had our longest run with him so we are riding a luck. If we bring in a loan, we need an established scorer not a work in progress to come straight into the squad for a relegation battle and all a loan would probably be best bet as our future is murky.

Our defence counteracts our attacking positivity (despite us needing 5 chances to convert 1) so that’s the immediate area of concern (as it has been for 3 season, can’t let that dig go) but if Ings goes down, we have an entirely bigger problem). If we don’t act in January, we will go down and we will deserve it for being the most idiotic and complacent football club in the league. 3 relegation battles with pretty much the same, pitiful defence.

That meant to read, “will Ings stay fit”

If Ings is injured, we have Che Adams ready to come in or have you already written him off after 8 games? Mess

If Ings is injured, we have Che Adams ready to come in or have you already written him off after 8 games? Mess

Yes, I have written him off. Not just because of the lack of goals, but due to the lack of mobility, the lack of a strikers instinct, the lack of dribbling skill, the lack of a passing game, the lack of any semblance of a footballing brain befitting of the Prem. He’s just not good enough and a waste of how many millions?

Wonder if we'll eye up a few loans, given our lack of funds. A lot of very good fringe players gathering dust at better clubs.

Someone like Hamza Choudhury at Leicester might be a good fit. Needs the game time for his development, and is ideal for our midfield: dynamic, quick, physical and very good on the ball. Bit of a nasty streak too.

Similarly, Maitland-Niles has fallen out of favour at Arsenal (albeit he got a rare start last night) and might like the chance to play regularly in his proper position (cm) rather than as emergency right back every now and then. Classy player with a bit of everything.

Kyle Walker-Peters is a promising right back getting no action at Spurs. I think there were a few board rumours in the off season about us having an interest.

Phil Foden could make England's Euro 2020 squad this summer, if only he played some football this season. Wonder if he could be tempted to leave his comfort zone for six months.

Chelsea might be worth watching during January now their transfer ban is over. If they go big for a centre back, and Rudiger returns to full fitness, Fikayo Tomori will drop way down the pecking order. He might need a loan to stay in England contention. Superb prospect: pace to burn.

If we genuinely could swap some or one of our outcasts for Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic, that'd be good business too - although a 21-22 year old centre back doesn't fulfill all the criteria we're crying out for, beggars can't be choosers. Tall, rangy, decent turn of foot, good on the ball.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I wonder if the boards stance on defenders has changed. Ralph has tried every combination possible and they are all as bad as each other. Lets hope the board don't block him bringing in at least one defender this window because "we've got enough in those positions":lol::mcinnes::uhoh:

Yes, I have written him off. Not just because of the lack of goals, but due to the lack of mobility, the lack of a strikers instinct, the lack of dribbling skill, the lack of a passing game, the lack of any semblance of a footballing brain befitting of the Prem. He’s just not good enough and a waste of how many millions?

To be fair, he looked decent in his cameo against Norwich.

Fickle fan who writes off a player after 8 games for god sake

We have to address the defensive problems. 35 goals conceded in 16 games is dreadful (compare with Sheff United and Palace who have conceded 16 and 18). Even with the 9-0 not included we would still be in the bottom 5 defences. CB is imperative. I would then be minded to go for a DM next. Think we've missed that protection since Wanyama left and Romeu's downturn in recent seasons. If that was all the business we did in Jan I would be happy. Think Valery should be given the opportunity at RB

Nothing has given me more confidence in Adam's ability than this.

He'll come good.

When we’re in the Championship, he’ll be great....maybe. If he scores more than 1 goal this season I’ll apologise for getting it wrong, but as much as I would love him to ‘come good’ he’s shown nothing to suggest he’ll do anything other than run around a lot. He’s just not good enough.

To be fair, he looked decent in his cameo against Norwich.

Not sure what you’re basing this on. I don’t see him anticipating passes to him or making telling passes to his teammates. He just seems to be quite lost at the moment with no discernible improvement to his positioning or attempts on goal. That can’t be right for a striker.

Aleksandar Dragovic at Bayer Leverkusen is out of favour or so it seems - he's having a run in the team at the moment due to injuries but is coming to the end of his contract and is supposedly looking to move in January. He did OK on loan at Leicester last season. Could solve our problems at the back.

Maybe Bayer would be interested in doing a deal with Vestergaard going the other way :-)

Andreas Christensen at Chelsea also seems to be out of favour - but he's probably betther than anything we've got at the back right now.

Wonder if we'll eye up a few loans, given our lack of funds. A lot of very good fringe players gathering dust at better clubs.

Someone like Hamza Choudhury at Leicester might be a good fit. Needs the game time for his development, and is ideal for our midfield: dynamic, quick, physical and very good on the ball. Bit of a nasty streak too.

Similarly, Maitland-Niles has fallen out of favour at Arsenal (albeit he got a rare start last night) and might like the chance to play regularly in his proper position (cm) rather than as emergency right back every now and then. Classy player with a bit of everything.

Kyle Walker-Peters is a promising right back getting no action at Spurs. I think there were a few board rumours in the off season about us having an interest.

Phil Foden could make England's Euro 2020 squad this summer, if only he played some football this season. Wonder if he could be tempted to leave his comfort zone for six months.

Chelsea might be worth watching during January now their transfer ban is over. If they go big for a centre back, and Rudiger returns to full fitness, Fikayo Tomori will drop way down the pecking order. He might need a loan to stay in England contention. Superb prospect: pace to burn.

If we genuinely could swap some or one of our outcasts for Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic, that'd be good business too - although a 21-22 year old centre back doesn't fulfill all the criteria we're crying out for, beggars can't be choosers. Tall, rangy, decent turn of foot, good on the ball.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I like most of your fringe players from other clubs bit ambitous with Foden maybe worth loan approaches though.