January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Yep. I think the club is in much safer hands now under the leadership of Martin selmayr. Seems to be an impressive individual who is aware of the mistakes of past regimes. Personally I think the 9-0 has had a galvanising effect not only on Ralph but on the club.

I just hope the board realise it’s far better (and cheaper) to get the structure in place and spend there rather than the speculative transfer fees on players.

Compare Leicester to Man Utd, Brentford to Fulham, even Peterborough to the Skates, two different approaches, but it shows clubs can do well without breaking the bank on transfer expenditure.

I just hope the board realise it’s far better (and cheaper) to get the structure in place and spend there rather than the speculative transfer fees on players.

Compare Leicester to Man Utd, Brentford to Fulham, even Peterborough to the Skates, two different approaches, but it shows clubs can do well without breaking the bank on transfer expenditure.

Leicester have spent a fortune, £350m since the start of 2016, yes they've made some great signings, Maddision and Evans for £3m was a blinding deal, but they've wasted a lot too, Slimani, Musa, Ineacho, Silva to name but 4 big money signings costing nearly £100m who have done nothing for them. Just adds to the point that saints aren't the only club who make bad signings on big wages yet we are the only club who has to sell to buy.

If we keep Stephens and Bednarek (his contract needs renewing) plus Danso then we can ideally lose the wages of Hoedt, Vestergaard and Yoshida which should allow us to bring in a good CB to compete to be a first choice.

So what do we do with Alfie Jones, also 22. His contract is up in 18 months time?

I know he is particularly clear that the mistakes of the past regarding relying on the say so of one individual for signings (carillo and others) will not be happening on his watch. Expect signings we make to be thoroughly vetted. Edited by hypochondriac

Leicester have spent a fortune, £350m since the start of 2016, yes they've made some great signings, Maddision and Evans for £3m was a blinding deal, but they've wasted a lot too, Slimani, Musa, Ineacho, Silva to name but 4 big money signings costing nearly £100m who have done nothing for them. Just adds to the point that saints aren't the only club who make bad signings on big wages yet we are the only club who has to sell to buy.
Leicester are an interesting one. We were apparently very close to signing four of their players. Maddison in particular was signing for us until a last minute change of heart. Emphasises the fine line between success and failure.

Well its about 306m in and 246m out in the last 4 years and for one of those years they must have earned a huge amount from the champions league and blown it on the likes of Slimani.

They have a decent owner too unlike us.

The CL money certainly helped Leicester in record profits which were used to spend big on transfers and as you say, much of it wasted (so why change?), but still much less than United for the comparison. If you look at infrastructure investment of the two clubs which adds to the point (£100m over two years vs £100m over ten years), you’ll see a difference in focus.

Summer interest in Jeremie Frimpong, RB at Celtic (signed from City summer 2019).

Source: Ornstein, The Athletic

Will this still happen if we sign KWP though, which seemingly is now likely? Assuming Cedric moves on, we still have Valery who you would think would be backup for KWP. I suspect Frimpong was an alternative target and will now be passed over.

Will this still happen if we sign KWP though, which seemingly is now likely? Assuming Cedric moves on, we still have Valery who you would think would be backup for KWP. I suspect Frimpong was an alternative target and will now be passed over.
We're surely not signing Spurs' fourth choice right back to be our starting right back, are we?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I don't get this Walker Peters signing. It's a lot of money for someone who hasn't ever forced his way into a Spurs team. If they believed in his potential surely they'd keep him. Targett went for 17 but at least he had a track record of playing games in the PL.

If he does sign, we could always give him a few games before we slag him off. I know it goes against the grain but it might set a new trend in here! We have signed plenty of players that have not been fancied by their clubs (managers) and have been perfectly fine for us.

If its a loan with an option to buy for Kyle Walker-Peters it makes some sense as we get the rest of the season to see if he can actually live up to his potential and replace Cedric in the long run - plus he can play at left back as wel by all accounts so he will provide cover for Bertrand and Cedric for the rest of the season as its sounds like there are some doubts over Vokins and Valery's ability to do so for the rest of this season.

I liked the sound of Joakim Maehle at right back though.

Wouldn't be to unhappy to see Vestergaard leave for Leicester if its on a permanent transer and a decent fee. A loan doesn't make any sense for us.

Same with Che Adams if we could get a decent fee (at least the £15M we paid for him) from Leeds for a permanent transer and someone in on loan to replace him as cover for Ings, Long and Obafemi. I'd have taken Jean-Kevin Augustin on loan to the end of the season with an option to buy for example. But I am guessing Leeds just want a loan which makes no sense for us.

If its a loan with an option to buy for Kyle Walker-Peters it makes some sense as we get the rest of the season to see if he can actually live up to his potential and replace Cedric in the long run - plus he can play at left back as wel by all accounts so he will provide cover for Bertrand and Cedric for the rest of the season as its sounds like there are some doubts over Vokins and Valery's ability to do so for the rest of this season.

I liked the sound of Joakim Maehle at right back though.

Wouldn't be to unhappy to see Vestergaard leave for Leicester if its on a permanent transer and a decent fee. A loan doesn't make any sense for us.

Same with Che Adams if we could get a decent fee (at least the £15M we paid for him) from Leeds for a permanent transer and someone in on loan to replace him as cover for Ings, Long and Obafemi. I'd have taken Jean-Kevin Augustin on loan to the end of the season with an option to buy for example. But I am guessing Leeds just want a loan which makes no sense for us.

Adams to Leeds is not going to be happening as they have announced they have signed J-K Augustin

I don't get this Walker Peters signing. It's a lot of money for someone who hasn't ever forced his way into a Spurs team. If they believed in his potential surely they'd keep him.

1) If he forced his way into the Spurs team they wouldn't be selling him

2) Selling him does not mean they don't think he has potential

So, what's the general consensus on this window? Will there be any In's or Out's? Yes / No?

Judging by the chatter, it looks likely KWP will be loaned in although this is more a necessity (likely pushed by Ralph and staff) with Soares out rather than a direct move to improve the squad. A lot of people writing him off before he's kicked a ball. Give him a chance. Jose has a habit of turning away quality players.

I would hope we would bring in another left back to cover Bertrand who is being shockingly overplayed. Wasn't even rested for the cup. Outrageously risky game we play at Make Do FC.

We signed Chelseas third choice left back a number of years ago and it worked out ok

Comparing KWP at this stage of his career to Bertrand when we signed him - an established PL player, champions league (final) player and international player - is a bit of a stretch.

Comparing KWP at this stage of his career to Bertrand when we signed him - an established PL player, champions league (final) player and international player - is a bit of a stretch.

Thats true but he was slated after his loan deal at villa by their fans. i think the bertrand transfer turned out way better than many people (well certainly me) thought.

Leicester are an interesting one. We were apparently very close to signing four of their players. Maddison in particular was signing for us until a last minute change of heart. Emphasises the fine line between success and failure.

Maddison and McGuire, who were the other two?

it perhaps says something when you're constantly missing out on players to the same club,

Who had also played for England and in a champions league final

Kwp just looks super passive and plays safe passes back to midfield rather then trying to attack or overlap.. was reading some spurs comments on him and seems he’s not that quick and pretty lightweight too.. willing to give him a chance but the likes of maehle who we could probably get for cheaper looks a better signing for me

Kwp just looks super passive and plays safe passes back to midfield rather then trying to attack or overlap.. was reading some spurs comments on him and seems he’s not that quick and pretty lightweight too.. willing to give him a chance but the likes of maehle who we could probably get for cheaper looks a better signing for me

But at the same point, there must be a reason why Maehle hasn't gone anywhere. He keeps being linked, spoken about as being super cheap etc - but he's still at Genk. Must be something fishy there.

Oh yeah. Palace and Brighton. There's our level then. Where does this lack of ambition come from? Is it just from being skint? I really hope he comes good if he moves here but from what I've seen of him I just don't get it

Oh yeah. Palace and Brighton. There's our level then. Where does this lack of ambition come from? Is it just from being skint? I really hope he comes good if he moves here but from what I've seen of him I just don't get it

They were both above us recently!!!

Just maybe there are no better options, a player that can cover both sides.

Lack of ambition? Have you missed the fact our owner is not putting in one penny, our previous recruitment was so shambolic that players like KWP are our level now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who was interested in Riyad Mahrez at Le Havre? Wait for them to play.

English and young. Therefore hungy and certain to improve! (So says SWF logic).

Not the most inspiring signing I'd agreed; but if it's a loan, with an option (but no obligation) to buy, then why not? Gives Ralph a chance take a good look at him and see if he could be our next long term RB.

Am curious why noone has taken a punt on the Genk fella though.

They were both above us recently!!!

Just maybe there are no better options, a player that can cover both sides.

Lack of ambition? Have you missed the fact our owner is not putting in one penny, our previous recruitment was so shambolic that players like KWP are our level now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, take your point. Sadly hadn't missed that. Oh for a Newcastle-like suitor (well, maybe not). *dreams of Red Bull*

English and young. Therefore hungy and certain to improve! (So says SWF logic).

Not the most inspiring signing I'd agreed; but if it's a loan, with an option (but no obligation) to buy, then why not? Gives Ralph a chance take a good look at him and see if he could be our next long term RB.

Am curious why noone has taken a punt on the Genk fella though.

Maybe this is a smokescreen and we'll go Genk after all (crosses fingers)