January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Ollie Watkins from Brentford looks decent but probably out of our price range as they apparently want 25million!

Why would £25m be out of our price range? Bournemouth, Brighton, palace and Watford have all signed players for that sort of figure.

Fair enough if you think we’d spend that with GAO in charge but I suppose we will see in the next month which one of us is right :)

I didn’t say I thought we’d spend it, I just said it shouldn’t be out of our price range as clubs with smaller incomes than ours can spend it.

nice article on Maehele in Genk and how effective he is in the high pressing style for them - article is from Aug.

Looks like main takeaways are he is excellent he is actually 6ft 2, is good at winning the ball back in the final third and he doesn't do deep crosses he try's to get into the box and pick out someone and he can defend.

https://www.optasportspro.com/news-analysis/blog-focusing-on-genks-joakim-maehle/

nice article on Maehele in Genk and how effective he is in the high pressing style for them - article is from Aug.

Looks like main takeaways are he is excellent he is actually 6ft 2, is good at winning the ball back in the final third and he doesn't do deep crosses he try's to get into the box and pick out someone and he can defend.

https://www.optasportspro.com/news-analysis/blog-focusing-on-genks-joakim-maehle/

Hopefully we get him!

Sign him up! Do the deal now, have him on the first plane on 1st Jan!

Can’t see us spending big on a right back in Jan when we have 2 nor is it likely genk would want to sell mid season.

Revisit in the summer perhaps once Cedric has finally departed.

Dunno might be a option now, last year in Jan Genk were in the mix to win the title, this season they are mid table and just got beat by anderlecht who are bang average. They are only in the europa Cup now after getting knocked out of the champs league.

With how much we tried to get him before I can see them more willing to cash in and give the guy a opportunity to earn big money compared to what he's on now, otherwise he could become disgruntled.

Ralph just said in the pre-Chelsea press conference that he wants two new players in, in January as the squad is currently unhealthy due to the lack of balance and limited options for certain positions.

Hopefully the club don't deliver him another Danso on deadline day.

Ralph just said in the pre-Chelsea press conference that he wants two new players in, in January as the squad is currently unhealthy due to the lack of balance and limited options for certain positions.

Hopefully the club don't deliver him another Danso on deadline day.

Maybe this means a midfielder and a fullback as this is where we need back up the most. Bringing in a new Cb would further unbalance the squad considering the wealth of options we already have there.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Maybe this means a midfielder and a fullback as this is where we need back up the most. Bringing in a new Cb would further unbalance the squad considering the wealth of options we already have there.

Unbalance the squad? You’d rather not bring in an improvement to our consistently p*ss poor, worst in the league defence because it would “unbalance” the defence?! That’s insane. Our defence are abysmal as they have been for 3 seasons and your remedy is not to overhaul the heart of defence? Because Vestergaard, Bednarek, Stephens, Yoshida & Hoedt are rock solid eh? A wealth of options. Just sh*t, inadequate options. How many goals conceded this season?

Granted, full back a necessity but CB even more so. No point Ings being in form when we look likely to concede at any moment. Defence is the undoubtedly top priority closely followed by midfield.

According to a report from Sky Sports, Red Bull Salzburg centre-back Marin Pongracic is a ‘long-term target’ for Southampton.

Is that like Promes? When we didn’t get him (or try) but went back in for him in the summer as we intimated. Oh wait, no we didn’t. It’s almost like the club were lying just to dampen the fan’a frustration.

I truly hope we get this hit or another decent CB. We are dead in the water if not.

Unbalance the squad? You’d rather not bring in an improvement to our consistently p*ss poor, worst in the league defence because it would “unbalance” the defence?! That’s insane. Our defence are abysmal as they have been for 3 seasons and your remedy is not to overhaul the heart of defence? Because Vestergaard, Bednarek, Stephens, Yoshida & Hoedt are rock solid eh? A wealth of options. Just sh*t, inadequate options. How many goals conceded this season?

Granted, full back a necessity but CB even more so. No point Ings being in form when we look likely to concede at any moment. Defence is the undoubtedly top priority closely followed by midfield.

I ve said it time and time again.

The highest priory is a central midfielder.

Yes center back can be improved on but the main reason why our team is conceding so many goals is because there is a huge gap in center midfield.

Not even a competent center back can stop that.

I think you misunderstand me, I would love a new cb as our current options are rubbish but since Ralph said the squad was "unbalanced" that implies he will probably look to fill in the positions we have 0 depth in rather than our most over-manned position. Whether this is the right decision, I don't know, just reading in to what he said.

New CB that can manage the defence?

Arsenal need one, Man City need one, Chelsea are rumored to be looking for one, as are Spurs so that would take 4 good options of off our wish list.

I doubt very much that we can get an upgrade, even on our limited CB's .

Arsenal need one, Man City need one, Chelsea are rumored to be looking for one, as are Spurs so that would take 4 good options of off our wish list.

Even if they weren't we'll be in an entirely different price range to them anyway. Won't effect us in the slightest. More concerned Watford, villa, Palace are looking for someone. Our price range will be about 10-15m whereas the previously listed will spend double that.

Even if they weren't we'll be in an entirely different price range to them anyway. Won't effect us in the slightest. More concerned Watford, villa, Palace are looking for someone. Our price range will be about 10-15m whereas the previously listed will spend double that.

I agree , they won't be in our price range, but given the limited number of decent CB's that are likely to be available, it would spike the price on anything else half decent. Particularly in a short window like January.

I agree , they won't be in our price range, but given the limited number of decent CB's that are likely to be available, it would spike the price on anything else half decent. Particularly in a short window like January.

Depends on their outlook I guess. Wasting an extra 4-8 million in inflated Jan fees (plus the actual fee, anything from 10-30 million although 30 is unlikely as Gao won’t spend a penny nor is he likely to smash our transfer record on a CB if indeed spending anything) or the prospect of losing 120-130 million in tv revenue and the value of the club halving overnight. Guess we’ll find out in a week or 2.

I think we will definitely buy. Just concerned about the quality. They need to hit the ground running and have the courage and aptitude for a relegation battle. No more signings for the future (or proper quality youth that are actually of PL quality) which is just club code/justification for a budget, low quality transfer. We need players ready to roll up their sleeves and battle and some experience wouldn’t be a bad thing. Not sure what Josh Sims will bring to the squad when returning, the PL is a jump up from Yeovil but he has energy but hasn’t the quality of Lemina, Boufal, Redmond or Djenepo. I guess it adds something if Gao won’t spend and he always seems to take the cheap option, recalling a loan rather than bringing in midfield depth of sufficient quality..

No substance what's so ever but Andreas Christensen isnt playing CB for Chelsea and I think he is behind Tomori who is behind Zouma and Rudiger, he needs game time before euro championships and is Danish so Hoj connection.

Wonder if chelsea would do a loan ?

Would be amazing. As in, I'd be amazed if they'd let us. Matic available from Man U? Poss off to Spurs but worth a punt?

I think we will definitely buy. Just concerned about the quality. They need to hit the ground running and have the courage and aptitude for a relegation battle. No more signings for the future (or proper quality youth that are actually of PL quality) which is just club code/justification for a budget, low quality transfer. We need players ready to roll up their sleeves and battle and some experience wouldn’t be a bad thing. Not sure what Josh Sims will bring to the squad when returning, the PL is a jump up from Yeovil but he has energy but hasn’t the quality of Lemina, Boufal, Redmond or Djenepo. I guess it adds something if Gao won’t spend and he always seems to take the cheap option, recalling a loan rather than bringing in midfield depth of sufficient quality..

Josh Sims isn't returning from Yeovil (unless its a family visit to his place of birth). He returned from New York a few weeks ago, but no one was ever able to clarify if he was eligible to play before January.

In which case, a good holding midfielder who can protect the two CBs better should be high on the agenda

Kalvin Phillips ...I said months ago and say again...he is a great player and my Leeds supporting brother in law raves about him. Having seen how much time he has on handball compared to others' date=' he would be a great addition and become a fans favourite![/quote']

Can’t see Leeds selling their best players at the monent.

Josh Sims isn't returning from Yeovil (unless its a family visit to his place of birth). He returned from New York a few weeks ago, but no one was ever able to clarify if he was eligible to play before January.

Sorry, I meant New York from his loan. Yeovil was where he was born but thanks for pointing that out. Brain fart. How do you know he’s not being recalled from loan because I understood he was?

Don't want to be a damp squib, but I'd guess our priority is still to shift players out. According to the 'taters today, we've got £75m worth of players out on loan. With a huge wage cost.

We've got the core of a reasonably solid team now. Obvious weakness is the lack of backup LB but the other worries - strikers if Ings is injured, lack of quality at CB - are unlikely to be addressed until we get some money in.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Don't want to be a damp squib, but I'd guess our priority is still to shift players out. According to the 'taters today, we've got £75m worth of players out on loan. With a huge wage cost.

We've got the core of a reasonably solid team now. Obvious weakness is the lack of backup LB but the other worries - strikers if Ings is injured, lack of quality at CB - are unlikely to be addressed until we get some money in.

We seemed to do OK for strikers without Ings today. I think we could do with a back up lb/rb above all else personally. Would be nice to have someone like Maehl who can play both.

We seemed to do OK for strikers without Ings today. I think we could do with a back up lb/rb above all else personally. Would be nice to have someone like Maehl who can play both.

That’s what Ralph was saying after game that we only have 1 option at full back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We desperately need back up to RB. Not “we could do”. Soares isn’t interested nor good enough. Great performance today but don’t let that fool you that we are suddenly ok. We need defensive and midfield additions, urgently. Do agree, Maehle would be ideal.

We desperately need back up to RB. Not “we could do”. Soares isn’t interested nor good enough. Great performance today but don’t let that fool you that we are suddenly ok. We need defensive and midfield additions, urgently. Do agree, Maehle would be ideal.
We have two RB options. Unless Cedric leaves, you're in cloud cuckoo-land if you think we're getting anyone in.

And midfield options are Hojbjerg, Romeu, JWP, Reed, Slattery, Smallbone, Armstrong, Redmond, Boufal, Djenepo (plus possibly Hesketh and Sims, with Lemina also still on the books). You need to get real. We are not adding to that list.

Disagree. Cedric is leaving in summer so will need to be replaced. Ralph doesn't appear to trust Valery so it won't be a surprise to bring someone in.

Reed is on loan as is Hesketh and Lemina so I wouldn't count them. Smallbone and Slattery no where need first team at the moment. Actual options to play central midfield is limited

We have two RB options. Unless Cedric leaves, you're in cloud cuckoo-land if you think we're getting anyone in.

And midfield options are Hojbjerg, Romeu, JWP, Reed, Slattery, Smallbone, Armstrong, Redmond, Boufal, Djenepo (plus possibly Hesketh and Sims, with Lemina also still on the books). You need to get real. We are not adding to that list.

Listing smallbone as an option is like saying we don’t need a FB because we have Vokins

Haha. Typical Saints web warriors. Criticising anyone who has a different opinion to them. Truth is, you have no idea whether we will sign anyone or not and your argument is pretty flaccid judging by our own manager stating we need depth in midfield and strength in defence. Judging by Gao’s history, it could be perceived unlikely we will spend but also - judging by our predicament - it could also be likely if our board are keen to protect their investment but don’t let that stop you chastising other for having a different opinion to yours. Kat may even offer financial assistance. What an odd little attitude you have!! Lol

If we get a RB, I don’t expect it to be an addition. I would have expected Soares to be replaced and we definitely need back up to Bertrand at LB. That’s more important than the right and it was ludicrous to sell Targett without a replacement. Reed, Slattery, Smallbone, Hesketh and Sims are non-starters so I’m struggling to understand why you’ve listed every midfielder on our books because that’s an unrealistic and senseless argument. We are taking starting 11 and PL quality players with an ability to grind our results in a relegation battle. As a side note, I always liked the look of Harrison Reed & have struggled to understand how he hasn’t been able to figure more as he has a good engine but maybe the coaches know more than us, even the hyper critical forum members & club apologists that seem to have insider information on our finances and transfer intentions with their finger on the pulse of all things Southampton FC. ;o)

When people say midfield they mean box to box midfielders or defensive midfielders not wingers/number 10s/or attackers. They are specifically referring to the roles inhabited by JWP and Hojbjerg. For that we only have one first team depth player and that is Romeu. One player on the bench for two roles is tiny and if more than one player goes down in that position suddenly we are playing people like Armstrong out of position in that spot, which is not ideal. Your list is a bit silly as it contains a number of junior players and attackers. When Ralph said the squad was unbalanced this, along with full back as he clearly doesn't rate cedric and Valery, is very likely where he was referring to.

Listing smallbone as an option is like saying we don’t need a FB because we have Vokins

Exactly but some people argue for the sake of arguing. Best to not even reply against that level of IQ. Listing all the squad players & those that haven’t even figured, those whom aren’t up to standard or those are out on loan is a strange argument at best.

Exactly but some people argue for the sake of arguing. Best to not even reply against that level of IQ. Listing all the squad players & those that haven’t even figured, those whom aren’t up to standard or those are out on loan is a strange argument at best.
Not to mention a bunch of players like Djenepo and Boufal who play a completely different position in attacking midfield, which we all agree we are well stocked in.

Just hope the last two results don't make the owner think we don't investment in new players

This was a concern and the ethos behind my earlier comment of trepidation.

Not to mention a bunch of players like Djenepo and Boufal who play a completely different position in attacking midfield, which we all agree we are well stocked in.

Yes. I was confused as to why they were mentioned. Clearly missing the point. Defensive mid and box to box midfielders, as well as CB & full backs (priority being LB & RB if we can sell/replace Valery & Soares.

OK he's a little rumour from a source I have. Likely to be wrong but we all like a good rumour. So our interests apparently are in a cb we wanted in the summer but we wouldn't part with the cash, a striker banging them in in France (maybe for Lillie? Source couldn't remember.) and a rb. Apparently villa also after the striker, also told the Chinese bloke wants to sell and red bull have been sniffing around along with an American consortium.