January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Who would you prefer to play today...?

£5m Bednarek

£18m Vestergaard

Matthew I’m not going to keep repeating myself I’ve already addressed this point too. Obviously there are exceptions and sometimes you can get a bargain abut the better the player the more they cost more. That’s why Mbeppe cost £140m and josh sims is out on loan. And no I’m not saying saints should go and spend £40m on a random foreigner we’ve never heard of.

Matthew I’m not going to keep repeating myself I’ve already addressed this point too. Obviously there are exceptions and sometimes you can get a bargain abut the better the player the more they cost more. That’s why Mbeppe cost £140m and josh sims is out on loan. And no I’m not saying saints should go and spend £40m on a random foreigner we’ve never heard of.

There aren't a few exceptions, there are lots!

Quality costs money, that’s why better players cost more. It’s not hard.

Carillo is not better than players costing less. Vestergaard is not better than Bednarek. You call that a bad point, and than try to highlight your ridiculous point that more money always gets a better player by highlighting that cos Ronaldo cost more than Paul Moody that he's a better player!! Put your feet up mate.

There are far more examples of players costing More and being better. It’s an absolute ridiculous to try and prove otherwise.

But you point the likes of Bournemouth and Villa and Brighton of clubs who's spending we should match. They don't have better than we have - would they really give Liverpool the game we have them in teh first half? The fact is that whilst they've spent more, they haven't bought better. The issue is buying wisely, not necessarily spending more.

Carillo is not better than players costing less. Vestergaard is not better than Bednarek. You call that a bad point, and than try to highlight your ridiculous point that more money always gets a better player by highlighting that cos Ronaldo cost more than Paul Moody that he's a better player!! Put your feet up mate.

Because I’m still absolutely amazed you’re trying to argue that as a general rule the better the player is the more they cost. Obviously there will be some exceptions and we can all point to individual signings that cost a lot and haven’t worked and cheap ones that have.

So, now the January window is over and our January defensive strengthening of the full back areas and general defence is complete, how do people think we did?

Do you think we did well and delivered what the club alluded to? I use use the term “alluded” because, according to club apologists on here, any manager intending of signing a player has to say I promise and do a Boy Scout salute towards camera otherwise he can plead diminished responsibility.

I’m very curious to know if the club apologists on here class it as a good window or how they will spin some positivity on our market trader club? Can they bear to suggest any criticism towards their beloved club?

I hope our defence is deemed stronger by those apologists. Draughting into a midfielder to play at RB today facing the league leaders. I was going to suggest how Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain or Wijnaldum would fare down the left but seems the counter attacks of Liverpool have answered that question, despite going against the run of play.

So, now the January window is over and our January defensive strengthening of the full back areas and general defence is complete, how do people think we did?

Do you think we did well and delivered what the club alluded to? I use use the term “alluded” because, according to club apologists on here, any manager intending of signing a player has to say I promise and do a Boy Scout salute towards camera otherwise he can plead diminished responsibility.

I’m very curious to know if the club apologists on here class it as a good window or how they will spin some positivity on our market trader club? Can they bear to suggest any criticism towards their beloved club?

I hope our defence is deemed stronger by those apologists. Draughting into a midfielder to play at RB today facing the league leaders. I was going to suggest how Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain or Wijnaldum would fare down the left but seems the counter attacks of Liverpool have answered that question, despite going against the run of play.

We are watching the game, perhaps you should try it

I asked a question, not for your advice on how to spend my spare time. Perhaps you should :lol:keep on topic, this is the January transfer window thread. If you have anything worthwhile to contribute, maybe shut up.

**haven't even. If you have something worthwhile, maybe shut up anyway if this is your barometer of judgements

I asked a question, not for your advice on how to spend my spare time. Perhaps you should keep on topic, this is the January transfer window thread. If you have anything worthwhile to contribute, maybe shut up.

Dont respond mate... how he gets away with this blatant winding up of the forum is beyond me... he is clearly a troll and the mods know it...

Who would you prefer to play today...?

£5m Bednarek

£18m Vestergaard

The problem with our approach is that we've stopped taking a punt on players like Bednarek. The buy-to-eventually-sell approach requires speculating on players in a range of price brackets to spread the risk. Over the past couple of seasons we've reverted to one-in-one-out at the first team level, with no real investment in players outside that. Wolves' punt on the lad from Rochdale being a case in point.

The problem with our approach is that we've stopped taking a punt on players like Bednarek. The buy-to-eventually-sell approach requires speculating on players in a range of price brackets to spread the risk. Over the past couple of seasons we've reverted to one-in-one-out at the first team level, with no real investment in players outside that. Wolves' punt on the lad from Rochdale being a case in point.

Not sure how you can do any differently as the Premier League restricts the number of players over 21 years old you can have to 25, plus in any case Ralph says he wants a smaller squad to keep things competitive.

Not sure how you can do any differently as the Premier League restricts the number of players over 21 years old you can have to 25, plus in any case Ralph says he wants a smaller squad to keep things competitive.

I count five under-21s in our 25-man squad listed on the Premier League website. Plus, you do what PL clubs have always done when buying potential for the future - you loan them out which helps you find out quicker if they're likely to come good.

It's not exactly competitive now. If we put out any sort of second string they'd be absolutely murdered.

Personally, I'd say Heisenberg and Always_SFC are both trolls.

Batman has a severe case of pessimism and negativity.

Gordon Mockles seems very angry about things and enjoys typing about them in a long-winded fashion.

I can't remember any of Mr X's posts, so if he's a troll he's pretty terrible at it.

Turkish seems to just speak his mind in a pretty blunt fashion and occasionally bait Matthew Le God.

• 2 weeks later...
A Kids game. He's not played a first team game for months. :mcinnes:

And correct me if I’m wrong, but the last first team game he played was when we lost 9-0 and he was absolutely appalling. As, generally speaking, he has been every time he’s played in a back 4.

Too early to talk about KWP yet, but didn’t set the world alight on Saturday.

And to my original point, he (Valery) was out in January, we needed a right back on top of what we had, not a downgrade replacement. Now we have 0 fit right backs for at least 1 potentially 2 of our biggest games of the season :mcinnes:

And correct me if I’m wrong, but the last first team game he played was when we lost 9-0 and he was absolutely appalling. As, generally speaking, he has been every time he’s played in a back 4.

And to my original point, he (Valery) was out in January, we needed a right back on top of what we had, not a downgrade replacement. Now we have 0 fit right backs for at least 1 potentially 2 of our biggest games of the season :mcinnes:

I don’t remember him playing since and yes he was absolutely awful in that game.

I still find it incredible that we went into the window saying we were going to strengthen the window on numerous occasions and came out of it weaker ?

The whole team was crap against Leicester, even if Valery was a stand out performer. He’s no worse than Martina, Pied, Richardson, Kenton, Targett, Fox or any of the other reserve full backs we’ve had over the years.

Like it or not, he is about our level when it comes to cover in that position.

KWP and Valery were fit for the last game. KWP is now injured. Valery isn't.

No one said otherwise. We are talking about this weekend. But coming back to your irrelevant point. Being fit and being match fit are not one of the same. With their lack of any first team action neither were match fit last weekend and neither would have payed ahead of Cedric.

No one said otherwise. We are talking about this weekend. But coming back to your irrelevant point. Being fit and being match fit are not one of the same. With their lack of any first team action neither were match fit last weekend and neither would have payed ahead of Cedric.

The point being made was that we're struggling for a RB cos we sold one injured RB, signed one injured one, and had one on his way back to fitness. Had we kept the injured Cedric we'd be no better off.

You are completely wrong. He played several times after that.

One appalling game against Leicester doesn't equate to him generally having been poor.

Who wasnt appalling against Leicester. The same Valery who was getting lavished with praise last season after a run of good performances including scoring against united and spurs, is now completely written off. Just sums this forum up