January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

For those going down the binary route of: it's not the manager, it's the players, I'm afraid I think it's both. And having poor coaches. At the very least we need a coach for Ralph, centre back, left back, centre mid. And that will cost what, £50m at least? Not going to happen as the owner is skint. Cheapest option to get biggest change would be new manager, but that isn't going to happen either.

So I suspect it will be put some names out that we might get, get beaten to them by other clubs, and then last-minute panic buy in defence. Obviously I hope not, but have been pushed this way by the last decade, frankly. Galling to look at other clubs where the fundamentals are good, and spread right through the club from the very top. Ours looks like it is the exact opposite at the moment. Happy 2020 everyone!

Not expecting us to buy anyone. What we need most is a CB, but we already have 5 on the books + Hoedt still out on loan. Can't see us adding a 7th and it's unlikely we'll shift anyone in Jan to free up wages/budget for that.

Don’t be so realistic.

Do one of those forum lists where you list everyone you want to leave for a very unrealistic fee as if it will happen easily :)

Other clubs seem to have deals sorted for Jan 1st or shortly after (Liverpool at it again), wheras we always seem to be scrambling around at 11.55pm on deadline day. I know there are many factors at play which means its not that simple, but if we're looking at 'long term targets', why are deals not done earlier (position doesnt help i know). Having players on board earlier and getting them integrated sooner is crucial. By the time any new players do arrive by 31 Jan, our position could be beyond bleak

Probably helps he has a released clause, plus they are Liverpool and his club are out of the Champions League.

Not sure many other clubs have arranged transfers for the 1st of January.

The clubs scouting setup must be able to find a CB who is better than Stephens, Yoshida or Vestergaard who wants half a season in the PL shop window, or to get gametime before the Euros.

If not, it really sums up how poor the recruitment is and has been.

We don't need a long term signing with resale value, we just need a competent CB and have the whole world to find one in.

As galling it is but Liverpool are going to rule the English game again for a decade or so. Our much vaunted youth is a fallacy and watching some of the Liverpool yougsters the other night with their movement and ability on the ball showed they have a stream of good players. We have ??????

Trust in Les eh...…. god he pulled the wool over so many peoples eyes.

Not expecting us to buy anyone. What we need most is a CB, but we already have 5 on the books + Hoedt still out on loan. Can't see us adding a 7th and it's unlikely we'll shift anyone in Jan to free up wages/budget for that.

We won't survive in this league without it. It makes me laugh how so many on here seem to suggest advice based on having inside knowledge of the club's finances and spending. Truth is, they are absolutely clueless and merely guessing, like most of us. The sell to buy propaganda had the same effect and experts like Egg peddled a similar mantra. We certainly needed to sell and clear some off the books but we had done that. There was easily room to purchase and space in the wage structure. Gao simply didn't want to spend. Look at the number that have left us since Gabbiadini compared to the incoming traffic. No comparison.

I don't think the club will overlook this transfer window in our current state.

I expect us to bring in a couple of defenders, likely the RB from Genk (Joakim Maehle) and the Croatian CB from Redbull Salzburg, Marin Pongracic. Josh Sims appears to being recalled from his loan at New York Redbulls although he lacks the quality for the PL imho but his energy in the middle may help. We certainly need some options and depth.

I hope we can bring in a strong assistant manager to assist Ralph. We are absolutely crying out for it. Seems the player trading expert - Steve Walsh - and Zeliko Buvac (as assistant) were just the usual rumours, possibly emanating from the SFC social media team, to maintain gate receipts and fan interest. Crocker being the absolute bare minimum. If we were serious, they'd have surely been appointed by now. Ralph so desperately needs a strong assistant alongside him.

Not the time to hold one's breath, doubt we'll chuck any money at the problems in Jan irrespective of our financial situation. Gao must have a real fear of relegation and the loss in value of his asset so will not be wanting what accrued monies there are at the club to be wasted on trying to save a sinking ship.

Not the time to hold one's breath, doubt we'll chuck any money at the problems in Jan irrespective of our financial situation. Gao must have a real fear of relegation and the loss in value of his asset so will not be wanting what accrued monies there are at the club to be wasted on trying to save a sinking ship.

What you say makes no logical sense at all. If he signs a couple of defenders, he could easily secure his investment. A sinking ship is not sinking unless you allow it to sink. Signing a couple of more assured defenders and having another midfielder available could easily change the tide, thus plugging the holes on our sinking ship (ie: not leaking more goals [no more puns] or preserving matches from when we are in a winning position).

If we don’t sign one or two defenders, we are guaranteed relegated. Only an idiot would not bring in a defender or 2 to preserve your Premier League status. It’s such a thin line for survival and I believe easily remedied. It will still be a struggle (if we sign defenders) but that is purely because we have allowed this situation to fester.

I predict us being linked with a fair few players, nothing will happen, posters on here will get restless as nothing happens as the window draws to a close, others will state that the window has not shut yet and we are the want it now generation......

then we will sign some no-marks on loan on the last day

I predict us being linked with a fair few players, nothing will happen, posters on here will get restless as nothing happens as the window draws to a close, others will state that the window has not shut yet and we are the want it now generation......

then we will sign some no-marks on loan on the last day

And the usual people will say you are a bad fan if you moan and point out it was another rubbish window.

According to a report from Sky Sports, Red Bull Salzburg centre-back Marin Pongracic is a ‘long-term target’ for Southampton.

As in, we won't get him in January? Or we will, and have been after him for a while?

And the usual people will say you are a bad fan if you moan and point out it was another rubbish window.

I know you are not the sharpest tool in the box but perhaps even you might understand this..

Its not about people posting "its a another terrible window" its because they continue to post it over and over and over

I know you are not the sharpest tool in the box but perhaps even you might understand this..

Its not about people posting "its a another terrible window" its because they continue to post it over and over and over

Nope, posters get criticised for their reaction as soon as the transfer window closes. You're the worse culprit so not surprised you're quick to respond.

Personally I think we need to enhance central midfield with more ability. Trying to think of loans, as that is realistically all we will get, and saw that Joe Allen is linked to a few Prem clubs. Could we loan Allen, perhaps with a view to a permanent move? Should we?

Personally I think we need to enhance central midfield with more ability. Trying to think of loans, as that is realistically all we will get, and saw that Joe Allen is linked to a few Prem clubs. Could we loan Allen, perhaps with a view to a permanent move? Should we?

Could do worse, almost anyone would be a step up on Hojbjerg and JWP. But why is Joe being touted to PL clubs?

Nope, posters get criticised for their reaction as soon as the transfer window closes. You're the worse culprit so not surprised you're quick to respond.

I gave you too much credit it seems, you clearly are the bluntest of tools

You know what I said is true but because it's me posting you write nonsense, at least it gives Sadold a break from your stalking

:lol:

I gave you too much credit it seems, you clearly are the bluntest of tools

You know what I said is true but because it's me posting you write nonsense, at least it gives Sadold a break from your stalking

[emoji38]

Nonsensical drivel as per usual. I don't want to feed the troll so will respond no further.

be good if we could bring someone in good enough to start / improve the side immediately..

Carillo

Lemina

Hoedt

Boufal

Danso

Elyounousi

Vestergaard

we all know the state of them.......

Lemina and Boufal both looked good when they first joined. Elyounousi has looked very good at Celtic since he joined them.

Apparently interested in loaning Chelsea’s 19 year old CB Marc Guehi

https://apple.news/AkJDJQTVsQHSuEjleaUIkXQ

I heard Ralph talking about loans potentially being an option.

Ian Dennis of BBC confirms we are one of four teams interested in Jarrod Bowen. The others being Newcastle, Villa and Brighton.

I like him, but would imagine wide player is down the priority list.

I like him, but would imagine wide player is down the priority list.

It depends what finances we have available. He’s a proven goal scorer in an average team in the Championship. It’s a win/win signing, as either 1) he helps score goals that keep us up when we only have one source of goals currently, 2) We get relegated and would probably be able to sell him for at least what we paid or 3) we get relegated and have a proven Championship goal scorer and one of the Championship’s best players on the books.

3)... is the same reason we should persevere with Adams long term. (And perhaps should look at giving Danso more game time).

Defence is of course the priority then DM, but he’d definitely be high up on the attacking list. Although Ralph did say the other day that attack was not his focus, so we will see.

I certainly hope we are. But I fear Newcastle have the regional advantage - commutable from Hull?

I suspect Bruce is the link with Hull as he is likely to have known Bowen in his time there, that and the fact that they are are a bigger club. However they also have 'tight wad'Ashley in control. (Probably still an advantage over penniless Chairman Gao though)

I suspect Bruce is the link with Hull as he is likely to have known Bowen in his time there, that and the fact that they are are a bigger club. However they also have 'tight wad'Ashley in control. (Probably still an advantage over penniless Chairman Gao though)

Yeah. Ashley has bank-rolled 2 promotion campaigns from the championship. Pretty sure we would implode if we went down.

Spurs supporting mate suggested we take Wanyama back. I'd have him if he was cheap and would come. Good protection for defence. Might solve problem of Not Having to shell out much more on a quality CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Tight wad Ashley” has spent £107m more than they’ve made from transfers in the last 5 years, in that t8me saints have made a profit.