January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Egg is demonstrating a fine example of 'classic SaintsWeb' behaviour.

Have a strong opinion on a particular topic and when everyone is throwing evidence at you to highlight that your point is weak, you just DIG IN further.

classic.

(we have all been there)

Is exhibit a of this evidence a Telegraph article from November 2019? Or 2017? Or Promes going elsewhere for loads of wages?

Batman, what's your theory on why we're now not (seemingly) signing full backs this window?

Is exhibit a of this evidence a Telegraph article from November 2019? Or 2017? Or Promes going elsewhere for loads of wages?

Batman, what's your theory on why we're now not (seemingly) signing full backs this window?

My theory for what it’s worth is that Gao wants to sell the club and doesn’t want to waste money on players in, especially when no one wants to buy any of our available dross.

Personally, I think that after the Leicester game the board were considering buying in 2-3 average players who wouldn't be much better than what we currently have, possibly with weaknesses in other areas of their game. This could then have been stated as their backing the manager while the board crossed their fingers and hoped for the best.

They've probably given up on that idea after our upturn in form as none of the players we were going to sign would improve the first team and buying average players to sit on the bench is probably too dumb even for the current bunch of clowns.

I think unless we find a player for the right money (probably under £10m) who can immediately improve the first team we won't be signing anyone. The chance of that happening is pretty slim in January.

Personally, I think that after the Leicester game the board were considering buying in 2-3 average players who wouldn't be much better than what we currently have, possibly with weaknesses in other areas of their game. This could then have been stated as their backing the manager while the board crossed their fingers and hoped for the best.

They've probably given up on that idea after our upturn in form as none of the players we were going to sign would improve the first team and buying average players to sit on the bench is probably too dumb even for the current bunch of clowns.

I think unless we find a player for the right money (probably under £10m) who can immediately improve the first team we won't be signing anyone. The chance of that happening is pretty slim in January.

Would of preferred they get 1 good player in now than 3 average ones then, we are on a good run but the fundamental issues around our ability to play hassenball with these players effectively still remain.

Our priority HAS TO BE to ship out the players not needed (Hoedt. Forster etc etc ) in the summer (paging the player transfer expert), free up wage space and purchase 3 to 4 players specifically to fit our system, they dont need to be names but their profile needs to be perfect for hassenball.

If we need a left back to replace Bertie, which I doubt we will, I have always liked Ricardo Rodriguez, currently at AC but likely to leave either in this window or the summer. On the BBC website it says that he's linked to Fenerbahce, but I think Watford have also be linked, so perhaps not beyond the realms of possibility. Not seen him for a while, but he was great at Wolfsberg.

I also see on the BBC gossip column possible moves for young defenders Antonee Robinson and Aaron Hickey. Not sure of their quality, but they must be decent as they are linked to AC Milan. Either that or their agent(s) are bloody amazing to get that story to stick. Hope our scouts have looked at both at some point.

While on the subject of fullbacks, I may as well repeat my suggestion from the summer of going for the Norwich fullbacks Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons. No chance of getting them when they got promoted, but if they go back down?

Glad to say we probably wont get the chance to see him at close quarters this weekend due to injury, but Ruban Vinagre at Wolves is a player I think looks very exciting. Doherty keeps him out of the team, which perhaps might start to grate at some point.

My theory for what it’s worth is that Gao wants to sell the club and doesn’t want to waste money on players in, especially when no one wants to buy any of our available dross.

Fair guess, I reckon. Hope we can tie up a Red Bull deal soon... ;-)

^ AC Milan are pretty poor at the moment, down in mid table in Serie A, problems off the field, so not the European super club they once were, mid table Serie A is probably lower than mid table PL.

Also apparently Milan are looking at Boufal - https://sempremilan.com/pellegatti-milan-eye-cut-price-deal-for-e19m-southampton-forward-if-spurs-target-leaves

I doubt we would need a replacement for Bertrand until the summer, even then I doubt if he'll move, he seems pretty settled but certainly could see the club cashing in on a 30 year old with 1 year left on his deal, but it would be madness now.

We might get a loan or two in but really can't see much happening now in Jan, we'd have a to have a massive drop in form to get relegated I think, and I can't see us signing anyone in Jan that would significantly improve the team.

So I think it's better to hold all the funds we can, hopefully cruise into mid table and then have a big summer with all the contracts running out, people on loan, deadwood to clear etc. and find 3-4 quality players that fit Ralph's system and improve the team, do that and the team retains this sort of form and next season could be special.

Would of preferred they get 1 good player in now than 3 average ones then, we are on a good run but the fundamental issues around our ability to play hassenball with these players effectively still remain.

Our priority HAS TO BE to ship out the players not needed (Hoedt. Forster etc etc ) in the summer (paging the player transfer expert), free up wage space and purchase 3 to 4 players specifically to fit our system, they dont need to be names but their profile needs to be perfect for hassenball.

Is this the Ralphampton way ?

I guess it wouldn't be a transfer window thread without me suggesting a young Birmingham City player (seems a long time ago now that I suggested we sign Redmond). I'm a bit late to the party though with this one, so we would now need to hijack the Man U Jude Bellingham transfer.

^ AC Milan are pretty poor at the moment, down in mid table in Serie A, problems off the field, so not the European super club they once were, mid table Serie A is probably lower than mid table PL.

Also apparently Milan are looking at Boufal - https://sempremilan.com/pellegatti-milan-eye-cut-price-deal-for-e19m-southampton-forward-if-spurs-target-leaves

I doubt we would need a replacement for Bertrand until the summer, even then I doubt if he'll move, he seems pretty settled but certainly could see the club cashing in on a 30 year old with 1 year left on his deal, but it would be madness now.

We might get a loan or two in but really can't see much happening now in Jan, we'd have a to have a massive drop in form to get relegated I think, and I can't see us signing anyone in Jan that would significantly improve the team.

So I think it's better to hold all the funds we can, hopefully cruise into mid table and then have a big summer with all the contracts running out, people on loan, deadwood to clear etc. and find 3-4 quality players that fit Ralph's system and improve the team, do that and the team retains this sort of form and next season could be special.

Surely it would not make any sense to unload Bertrand. He is consistently one of our better players and still one of the best left backs in the country, he has a good two or three years left in him and should be kept.

If we have learnt just one huge lesson in recent years it is keep hold of your best players!

I used to enjoy this thread when we had people up trees watching for movement in but it's now the same old people slagging the club off time and time again. I do not pay my £5 to go through all this dross. For one thing all your opinions are not going to change one iota how the club is run. We have to go with what we have and Support the team. Could all this "I do not like the way we are run" be taken of the main board. I see a lot of the detractors do not even pay to support the forum so could they not have a "I hate the way the club is run" and "I could do better" thread somewhere else and you can bicker to your hearts content

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18166562.southampton-manager-ralph-hasenhuttl-transfer-window/

Saints have gone six games in all competitions without defeat and are targetting full-backs in this month's transfer window.

However, Hasenhuttl revealed that his approach has altered slightly.

Hasenhuttl reflected: "We must be careful, we have a balanced squad with a good atmosphere and I don’t want to take any risk to destroy this.

[/Quote]

While on the subject of fullbacks, I may as well repeat my suggestion from the summer of going for the Norwich fullbacks Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons. No chance of getting them when they got promoted, but if they go back down?

Glad to say we probably wont get the chance to see him at close quarters this weekend due to injury, but Ruban Vinagre at Wolves is a player I think looks very exciting. Doherty keeps him out of the team, which perhaps might start to grate at some point.

Yeah would hope we would be looking at the Norwich fullbacks in the summer.

Surely it would not make any sense to unload Bertrand. He is consistently one of our better players and still one of the best left backs in the country, he has a good two or three years left in him and should be kept.

If we have learnt just one huge lesson in recent years it is keep hold of your best players!

Agreed, but I'd also say that when we looked at our best it was when we had top class fullbacks coming out of our ears. So we need to add here too. The combination of Clyne and Chambers meant there was no drop off at all when one got injured. Very hard to get that same strength of squad (and keep it) unless you sign young players or have them come through the youth.

Both full back positions need additions. A youthful fullback on the left and a more established fullback on the right. They both need to have electric pace, have a great first touch, offer an attacking threat and understand and enjoy the concept of defending. If that description sounds like Vokins then great.

I’d still like us to bring in a first choice right back, but with Valery back I can understand why we’re potentially sticking with what we have. However as Cedric has said he’s definitely off in the summer, I’d be doing what I could to bring in a first choice right back this window to overlap Cedric’s departure, to help bed him in before next season, and to see what he has to offer before starting next season with an untested new right back signing. Not to mention strengthen us this season. Plus Cedric can play left back if needed so it’d strengthen us there too.

Why do you understand why we are sticking with Valery? Not many in the stands do. He can't defend, track, mark or tackle.

You're tedious, other posters don't want another debate about newspaper articles and who's theory is correct. The most recent and indisputable as to origin transfer info comes from Ralph. I'm interested in that, not what the telegraph wrote 2 months ago.

You're tedious. I'd much rather realistic people saw through the club's p*ss taking and took them to task rather than read drivel from those fence sitters, happy clappers and those possibly on retainers making excuses for our ever diminishing standards of quality while criticising those with a more realistic and ambitious set of expectations rather than settling for the sub standard recruitment and neglect we seem to suffer under this charlatan owner.

If you intend to sign no-one and make do, say so. Don't peddle out the manager and staff to pretend to do otherwise while they do your dirty work and the press team leak fan pacifying news articles of utter cr*p to your favoured broadsheet, simply to play games with the fans and engineer fan expectations, you disingenuous, manipulative cowards.

You're tedious. I'd much rather realistic people saw through the club's p*ss taking and took them to task rather than read drivel from those fence sitters, happy clappers and those possibly on retainers making excuses for our ever diminishing standards of quality while criticising those with a more realistic and ambitious set of expectations rather than settling for the sub standard recruitment and neglect we seem to suffer under this charlatan owner.

If you intend to sign no-one and make do, say so. Don't peddle out the manager and staff to pretend to do otherwise while they do your dirty work and the press team leak fan pacifying news articles of utter cr*p to your favoured broadsheet, simply to play games with the fans and engineer fan expectations, you disingenuous, manipulative cowards.

Bless you Gordon. I've put forward 3 possible options as to why we're not signing full backs now. Ralph has explained via the Echo (you know, an actual comment, actually attributable to our actual manager) but you carry on with your theory that Ralph is happy to peddle lies to the fans to make the club look great, whilst a journalist in the Telegraph peddles more lies on behalf of the club. Get a grip pal.

If you want to carry on the discussion, PM me, cos if I'm bored with it I can appreciate that other posters will be.

I'm not getting back into another boring debate about whether everything about us in the telegraph comes from the club. Try to focus on what our manager has said, and then trying to apply some logic as to why he may be saying it.

Ok. Focus on what said. Ralph has changed tact to the press as he clearly wanted and stated he needed balance in the squad and he needed high energy, full backs.

Ralph was likely lef to believe the club may support him in this huge urgency since the club profession sporting staff have submitted data to suggest we are dangerously thin in quality, numbers and depth in the full back position. The club, very stupidly, went into this season with one recognised LB (Bertrand), having no money invested so took a massive gamble in selling our only back up (Targett) to generate funds for new players. A naive and massively foolhardy move and clear illustration of how the club want to manage this club. Taking huge risks, running the team complacently and not putting any financial backing into the first team squad whilst alluding otherwise indirectly (then likely getting mindless sycophants to argue the point online) and basically making do with minimal effort and zero ambition.

Incidentally, where is Crocker?

Ralph - I believe - has been deceived because he and the scouts have likely identified the targets and gone to the management and Gao likely didn't sign them off. Or the club coffers are now dry and no extra funds are available. God knows where the 30 million war chest article came from. Maybe a disgruntled member of staff that did loads of work only to be told, "no money". They moved the goal posts or wasted the efforts made by the SFC recruitment team so Ralph goes back to the press to lower expectations from his previous position of mild optimism rather than talk about his employer and say "we wanted to sign full backs and I was led to believe we would but up to now, the owner hasn't invested a penny and despite selling a large number of players and shipping the others out on loan, the owner is still refusing to put any funds into the club. Insisting we sell what little discernible talent left to trade and the club need those players if we are to effectively compete".

Now, Ralph and his team are having to make do and pushing up inadequate, poor and unready for the PLplayers as a mild remedy to cover this obvious lack of investment and embarrassment in light of his earlier comments. So, Ralph gives The Echo yet another article in a contradictory tact, as has happened countless times this season (and before), to lower expectations even further with each subsequent and ever diminishing in optimism, press release.

Bless you Gordon. I've put forward 3 possible options as to why we're not signing full backs now. Ralph has explained via the Echo (you know, an actual comment, actually attributable to our actual manager) but you carry on with your theory that Ralph is happy to peddle lies to the fans to make the club look great, whilst a journalist in the Telegraph peddles more lies on behalf of the club. Get a grip pal.

If you want to carry on the discussion, PM me, cos if I'm bored with it I can appreciate that other posters will be.

Speak for yourself. The fans I work with shockingly have the same mindset. Only online does the patience seem unrealistically abject.

Ok. Focus on what said. Ralph has changed tact to the press as he clearly wanted and stated he needed balance in the squad and he needed high energy, full backs.

Ralph was likely lef to believe the club may support him in this huge urgency since the club profession sporting staff have submitted data to suggest we are dangerously thin in quality, numbers and depth in the full back position. The club, very stupidly, went into this season with one recognised LB (Bertrand), having no money invested so took a massive gamble in selling our only back up (Targett) to generate funds for new players. A naive and massively foolhardy move and clear illustration of how the club want to manage this club. Taking huge risks, running the team complacently and not putting any financial backing into the first team squad whilst alluding otherwise indirectly (then likely getting mindless sycophants to argue the point online) and basically making do with minimal effort and zero ambition.

Ralph - I believe - has been deceived because he and the scouts have likely identified the targets and gone to the management and Gao likely didn't sign them off. Or the club coffers are now dry and no extra funds are available. God knows where the 30 million war chest article came from. Maybe a disgruntled member of staff that did loads of work only to be told, "no money". They moved the goal posts or wasted the efforts made by the SFC recruitment team so Ralph goes back to the press to lower expectations from his previous position of mild optimism rather than talk about his employer and say "we wanted to sign full backs and I was led to believe we would but up to now, the owner hasn't invested a penny and despite selling a large number of players and shipping the others out on loan, the owner is still refusing to put any funds into the club. Insisting we sell what little discernible talent left to trade and the club need those players if we are to effectively compete".

Now, Ralph and his team are having to make do and pushing up inadequate, poor and unready for the PLplayers as a mild remedy to cover this obvious lack of investment and embarrassment in light of his earlier comments. So, Ralph gives The Echo yet another article in a contradictory tact, as has happened countless times this season (and before), to lower expectations even further with each subsequent and ever diminishing in optimism, press release.

I repeat:

"I'm not getting back into another boring debate..."

PM me if you really must mate, this is clogging up the thread. Bottom line though is that we have different opinion. I can live with that, give it a whirl.

Have you actually watched yesterdays Press Conference?

The one where Ralph, clearly and unprompted, says the finance is there to do something if we decide to.

Have you actually watched yesterdays Press Conference?

The one where Ralph, clearly and unprompted, says the finance is there to do something if we decide to.

Of course he hasn't. The official line is in the Telegraph, not from the manager.

I repeat:

"I'm not getting back into another boring debate..."

PM me if you really must mate, this is clogging up the thread. Bottom line though is that we have different opinion. I can live with that, give it a whirl.

I'd rather not, no offence. I have said my bit (mildly tedious maybe but heart felt) and you don't need to moderate the thread. A forum is about ALL opinions. Not just diluted opinions.

That’s like having a press conference with pre-prepared, soft and easy questions. I prefer real opinion, both testing, dissenting, optimistic and happy and often, miserable We don’t live in the Truman show, fortunately.

Why does it matter where Crocker is?

Glover is handling the January non signings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crocker was joining supposed to be joining 'early 2020' and it's the 17th of Jan, so I don't think there is much issue he's not here yet.

Of course he can’t work behind the scenes can he he doesn’t have club email, phone or fax so can’t do a thing......;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speak for yourself. The fans I work with shockingly have the same mindset. Only online does the patience seem unrealistically abject.

You actually work? I just assumed you were a mad, retired old codger considering how much you go on about the subject. I do apologise for some of my assumptions..

Crocker was joining supposed to be joining 'early 2020' and it's the 17th of Jan, so I don't think there is much issue he's not here yet.

Well we were meant to have a DOF and player trading expert in place before Novembers transfer window, so yes there is.

Well we were meant to have a DOF and player trading expert in place before Novembers transfer window, so yes there is.

Jeez. For the last time. An article in the telegraph is not a press release. Has it occurred to you that when a telegraph article does not bear fruit it's because it's an inaccurate newspaper article rather than something that's "meant" to be happening?

Jeez. For the last time. An article in the telegraph is not a press release. Has it occurred to you that when a telegraph article does not bear fruit it's because it's an inaccurate newspaper article rather than something that's "meant" to be happening?

I know it's not a press release but its been clear that the Telegraph and certain reporters there have been the clubs go to source for a number of years. They are always first to break transfer news, management changes etc even just the way the articles are written it "Southampton will" very definite statements, not Southampton might, or our sources tell us, etc that all the other media outlets report. So it's pretty obvious the club use them as their mouthpiece. Just read these to paragraphs, a very definite statement with details, not some random journalist speculating, just because you don't like to believe it doesn't make it untrue.

"Southampton’s board and ownership have given their full backing to manager Ralph Hasenhuttl after the shattering 9-0 record-equalling Premier League defeat to Leicester City on Friday, pledging to rebuild the squad rather than remove their Austrian coach.

The staff were told on Saturday morning that the club’s belief in the approach of Hasenhuttl is unshakeable and that there will be changes in the short-term as well as the long to players after two seasons of struggle. A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break."

I know it's not a press release but its been clear that the Telegraph and certain reporters there have been the clubs go to source for a number of years. They are always first to break transfer news, management changes etc even just the way the articles are written it "Southampton will" very definite statements, not Southampton might, or our sources tell us, etc that all the other media outlets report. So it's pretty obvious the club use them as their mouthpiece. Just read these to paragraphs, a very definite statement with details, not some random journalist speculating, just because you don't like to believe it doesn't make it untrue.

"Southampton’s board and ownership have given their full backing to manager Ralph Hasenhuttl after the shattering 9-0 record-equalling Premier League defeat to Leicester City on Friday, pledging to rebuild the squad rather than remove their Austrian coach.

The staff were told on Saturday morning that the club’s belief in the approach of Hasenhuttl is unshakeable and that there will be changes in the short-term as well as the long to players after two seasons of struggle. A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break."

Two things there.

1) I'm not doubting for a moment we feed 'information' to the Telegraph but that doesn't mean that they don't a) Come up with their own stories and rumours without reference to the club or b) Sex up the 'news' we do feed them with some extra details to sell papers.

2) The stories about 'looking to strengthen... full back and CB are a priority' are deliberately vague and ambiguous. It's just like that Brexit bus. It gives two related pieces of information and allows readers to jump to their own fanciful conclusions. I've yet to see any statement from Saints or the Telegraph saying, "We will sign two full backs and a CB in January."