January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Wish ppl would stop suggesting former players who cant even get a game at their current clubs. They're on huge wages for a start and theres plenty of other players available

Are there? Like who? Just because someone is on huge wages doesn't mean necessarily that they have to be paid those wages to go somewhere else. You know some people are prepared to take a cut to get theur career back on course. Only mentioned Morgan because he is a far better option than Vic. Top player who lost his way after big move to Man United. It was only a suggestion anyway, no idea whether its got any legs. Now get off your high horse and calm down. Wish some ppl on here would get a sense of humour and perspective and stop being ****s. Happy new Year to you.

Are there? Like who? Just because someone is on huge wages doesn't mean necessarily that they have to be paid those wages to go somewhere else. You know some people are prepared to take a cut to get theur career back on course. Only mentioned Morgan because he is a far better option than Vic. Top player who lost his way after big move to Man United. It was only a suggestion anyway, no idea whether its got any legs. Now get off your high horse and calm down. Wish some ppl on here would get a sense of humour and perspective and stop being ****s. Happy new Year to you.

Im not being a **** or whatever you're calling me, merely stating that some fans are so caught up in our past glories that they hang onto this belief than some former players could return and do a job. Theyve moved on, the club have moved on and some of fans should do so as well. We dont have a huge scouting network, black box etc to just bring back former players. Yes there may be opportunities which present themselves, but i havent seen anything from the likes of Vic or Morgan in recent years which makes me think they would be successful again here. Happy new year to you too.

Danny Drinkwater had a mare at Burnley needs a new challenge was very good at Leicester lost his way . If Burnley can afford his wages we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liverpool will listen to offers for Nathaniel Clyne, could we he do a job for us again? Don’t know how his time at Bournemouth went.
I would say a non-starter. Has he played since he did his ACL? Nearly 29. Not our sort of buy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Liverpool will listen to offers for Nathaniel Clyne, could we he do a job for us again? Don’t know how his time at Bournemouth went.

if he is fully fit - even if not match fit yet - I would say he may well be a good option on loan for 6 months.

FFS we are not going to be spending £20m on Bowen in January where our Manager has stated multiple times that we need defenders.

In real life news, RH said after the game that we are looking and know we need to bring players in, but there is a little less pressure due to our recent form.

We all know how this ends!

FFS we are not going to be spending £20m on Bowen in January where our Manager has stated multiple times that we need defenders.

In real life news, RH said after the game that we are looking and know we need to bring players in, but there is a little less pressure due to our recent form.

Yup. He was adamant we’d sign a player last January too.

(& we had a transfer negotiator then!)

With Bednarek and Stephens in good form, and with 2 or 3 back ups available, surely a LB back up is the priority, along with a goal scorer if Ings gets injured (newsflash to the club: we're ****ed if he does).

Last season there were 3 crap teams at the bottom. This season there doesn't seem to be even one. No time for complacency this time. Which means of course the club will be.

Bowen scored again. People might not think it's a priority but we create a lot of good chances. We have a good striker. But Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal do not score anywhere near enough between them. We need wide attacker who can finish. So many games we draw or lose narrowly after missing good chances. I can't see Redmond improving on that so we need someone to take the pressure off Ings.

Bowen isn't an Adams type, this is a really good footballer who looks likely to make the step up. Some players just look more ready for it, like Grealish and Maddison.

None of this matters as we are not going to sign him in this window.

Would love to sign him but I think he'll go to someone else as we won't look at Defenders, plus as he is available for free I think in the summer, I'd imagine someone might gamble on a transfer fee now to steal a march on everyone else. Especially as you'd expect most of the big boys would happily take a 22 year old young english goalscorer for a free as a squad player.

Expecting pretty much zero activitiy, no?

Maybe one or two out on loan and one in on loan?

I'd only expect us to be looking for cover, really, rather than starting XI players.

Agree that left back is a problem if Ryan picks up an injury - Cedric and Danso are the back-ups?

I'd only expect us to be looking for cover, really, rather than starting XI players.

Agree that left back is a problem if Ryan picks up an injury - Cedric and Danso are the back-ups?

Why only bring in players for cover? Which player in their right mind would do that? No point bringing in someone who wouldn't improve the match day squad at the very least. Anyone we bring in should be good enough to at least push the players in their position to want to keep it, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Would love to sign him but I think he'll go to someone else as we won't look at Defenders, plus as he is available for free I think in the summer, I'd imagine someone might gamble on a transfer fee now to steal a march on everyone else. Especially as you'd expect most of the big boys would happily take a 22 year old young english goalscorer for a free as a squad player.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hull have an additional year option on his contract, so he isnt actually out of contract this summer. Apparently they want mega bucks for him which is fair enough, so that will certainly rule us out, plus as others have said we need defenders/centre midfielder and will not have hardly any budget to do it with.

Yeah a left back cover on loan is surely the number one priority. If that ends up being someone with potential to be bertrand's replacement that would be a bonus.

Yeah a left back cover on loan is surely the number one priority. If that ends up being someone with potential to be bertrand's replacement that would be a bonus.

Probably depends on the clubs opinion on Vokins...assuming Bertrand stays a few more years, that gives enough time for the transition to happen. I wouldn't be against bringing in an experienced left back to compete with Bertrand now.

Do we know if Maehle is likely to happen?

Probably depends on the clubs opinion on Vokins...assuming Bertrand stays a few more years, that gives enough time for the transition to happen. I wouldn't be against bringing in an experienced left back to compete with Bertrand now.

Why are you speaking of an experienced left back and then mentionning Maehle just after.

Yes he has already played left back but he is a right back by nature.

It s like if you are mentionning Cedric is an experienced left back who can compete with Bertrand as he has played a few times on the left.

Wish someone would provide a definitive update on Sam McQueen. I hear rumours that he might not play again but he seems to have become the forgotten man for Saints. Clearly nowhere near being back to fitness as yet, and that's now well over a year.

Wish someone would provide a definitive update on Sam McQueen. I hear rumours that he might not play again but he seems to have become the forgotten man for Saints. Clearly nowhere near being back to fitness as yet, and that's now well over a year.

He's never been good enough for the premier league and probably never will be. But would like to see him back playng again even if it's in League 1 or something

He's never been good enough for the premier league and probably never will be. But would like to see him back playng again even if it's in League 1 or something

I think he played well in several games for us. He showed a willingness to get up and down the pitch, good strength, decent touch, half decent on the ball and reasonably quick. When they gave him a five year deal they must have felt he had the quality. The ACL injury was a bad one though, so its no surprise he has been out for so long. A year or more is not unusual. I hope he can get back to his best. Great to see a local lad do well.

Any idea what the situation is with our loaned out players?

I guess Hoedt, Lemina, Carillo, Forster and our Norwegian/N African who's name I can never spell, are on season long loans and only the latter two have any real transfer value and neither would feature in the current squad.

Harry Reed seems to be doing OK at Fulham and could be worth recalling if the loan deal allows, as we are not overblessed with midfield cover.

Jake Hesketh is at Lincoln and probably wouldnt feature in the current line out, similarly Jones and O'Conner at Gillingham are in the same category.

Yes, it worries me that the very unexpected but welcome improvement in our form will result in the familiar complacent attitude that the club have employed in previous windows.

Whilst it's great that Stephens and Bednarek have put in some decent performances in the last few weeks, we surely mustn't believe that we don't still need to improve that area of the team? There have been a few rumours about Vestergaard so maybe the plan could be to move him on so that we can replace with someone better if available? But suspect we will still have issues with finding clubs who will match the wages in his contract.

The other obvious issues are with full back cover. I would be happy enough to see Cedric stay, but it may make sense for him to move now if (and only if!) we can secure his replacement now. Left back cover also required if youth options are not considered good enough by Ralph.

Ideally, it would also be great to get a defensive midfielder in as we could be really exposed there with just an injury or two. Attacking wise, I think we are OK for now, not a priority compared with the defensive side of the team.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

The other obvious issues are with full back cover. I would be happy enough to see Cedric stay, but it may make sense for him to move now if (and only if!) we can secure his replacement now. Left back cover also required if youth options are not considered good enough by Ralph.

Can't see sense in cedric moving now for either party.

He can take his time and sign a pre contract when and where he wants.

Summer market is much better time for us to be buying a replacement.

Can't see sense in cedric moving now for either party.

He can take his time and sign a pre contract when and where he wants.

Summer market is much better time for us to be buying a replacement.

agreed, Cedric will stay, but might be a good idea to bring in his replacement now if Valery is going to be out for a while (who knows) and if his replacement can cover left back, where we are very exposed.

Edited by Chez

The cry has been for a cb ever since the Fonte affair. In fact we have bought several and some are of proven international quality but we just haven't found a partnership that works---until now. This is not the time to buy yet another cb this is the time to sell the 6ft7in misfit who can't get off the ground and would be outjumped by our 5ft 6in Shane. If he goes for a bit of cash, I would hope for a creastive attacking midfield (Maddison type) if there is one, but I would rather stay as we are than buy more expensive guys who won't be better than what we have got but might upset the spirit we have found.

Leads in for Che Adams on loan. I for one would be very disappointed if he went. We need cover for Ings and he is better than Obafemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would people be happy IF by some miracle this allowed for us to get Kalvin Phillips? Just a thought!!!

Loan deal all but confirmed with AC Milan I believe.

I saw in Lequipe article the other day that we were firmly in the race to sign him and he was going to make his decision in the next week or so.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/barcelona-will-loan-out-jean-clair-todibo-until-the-end-of-the-season-he-has-a-choice-of-7-clubs/

Edited by davefizzy14

From Ghana without a single cap and no double nationality according to transfermarket.de.

How's he supposed to get a work-permit.

Good point. But surely you better than to bring reality into this Fantasy Football Manager thread? [emoji1787][emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So you're confident Ings won't get injured from now until the end of the season?
No, not totally. But we do have Long, Djenepo, Obafemi, Redmond and Adams all as options to play up front. Don't get me wrong, if we had unlimited funds I'd love another striker who has a better top level scoring record, but I assume the club are not going to suddenly release huge amounts of funds in this window. So we should focus on the areas where we are most weak first. And our record in the last two and and a half seasons (with exception of a few very recent games) suggests that is the defence followed by defensive midfield. In my opinion we shouldn't get too carried away by a couple of admittedly very good recent performances by centre backs, so if we can move one or more of our squad CBs on permanently and replace with better we should definitely look to do that as soon as we can.

I think he played well in several games for us. He showed a willingness to get up and down the pitch, good strength, decent touch, half decent on the ball and reasonably quick. When they gave him a five year deal they must have felt he had the quality. The ACL injury was a bad one though, so its no surprise he has been out for so long. A year or more is not unusual. I hope he can get back to his best. Great to see a local lad do well.

Indeed. McQueen always struck me as a player who would be a good fit for Hassenhutl's playing style.