Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 2436

Thread: January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    Yeah would hope we would be looking at the Norwich fullbacks in the summer.
    That's being a bit ambitious. The next article will drop another level and we will be talking of "possibly" be signing ONE Luton full back who is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    I repeat:

"I'm not getting back into another boring debate..."

PM me if you really must mate, this is clogging up the thread. Bottom line though is that we have different opinion. I can live with that, give it a whirl.
    I'd rather not, no offence. I have said my bit (mildly tedious maybe but heart felt) and you don't need to moderate the thread. A forum is about ALL opinions. Not just diluted opinions.

That’s like having a press conference with pre-prepared, soft and easy questions. I prefer real opinion, both testing, dissenting, optimistic and happy and often, miserable We don’t live in the Truman show, fortunately.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    Yeah would hope we would be looking at the Norwich fullbacks in the summer.
    They would cost a lot I reckon unless there is a relegation release clause in there, which I doubt.

Plus Aarons is wanted by Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Mockles View Post
    Ok. Focus on what said. Ralph has changed tact to the press as he clearly wanted and stated he needed balance in the squad and he needed high energy, full backs.

Ralph was likely lef to believe the club may support him in this huge urgency since the club profession sporting staff have submitted data to suggest we are dangerously thin in quality, numbers and depth in the full back position. The club, very stupidly, went into this season with one recognised LB (Bertrand), having no money invested so took a massive gamble in selling our only back up (Targett) to generate funds for new players. A naive and massively foolhardy move and clear illustration of how the club want to manage this club. Taking huge risks, running the team complacently and not putting any financial backing into the first team squad whilst alluding otherwise indirectly (then likely getting mindless sycophants to argue the point online) and basically making do with minimal effort and zero ambition.

Incidentally, where is Crocker?

Ralph - I believe - has been deceived because he and the scouts have likely identified the targets and gone to the management and Gao likely didn't sign them off. Or the club coffers are now dry and no extra funds are available. God knows where the 30 million war chest article came from. Maybe a disgruntled member of staff that did loads of work only to be told, "no money". They moved the goal posts or wasted the efforts made by the SFC recruitment team so Ralph goes back to the press to lower expectations from his previous position of mild optimism rather than talk about his employer and say "we wanted to sign full backs and I was led to believe we would but up to now, the owner hasn't invested a penny and despite selling a large number of players and shipping the others out on loan, the owner is still refusing to put any funds into the club. Insisting we sell what little discernible talent left to trade and the club need those players if we are to effectively compete".

Now, Ralph and his team are having to make do and pushing up inadequate, poor and unready for the PLplayers as a mild remedy to cover this obvious lack of investment and embarrassment in light of his earlier comments. So, Ralph gives The Echo yet another article in a contradictory tact, as has happened countless times this season (and before), to lower expectations even further with each subsequent and ever diminishing in optimism, press release.
    Why does it matter where Crocker is?
    Glover is handling the January non signings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Behave. So the link between not signing Promes and now not signing any full backs is what?
    We haven't signed any of them.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Do you get a commission payment every time you post that picture ?

8. Default

Crocker was joining supposed to be joining 'early 2020' and it's the 17th of Jan, so I don't think there is much issue he's not here yet.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Do you get a commission payment every time you post that picture ?
    Yes

And given the number of threads that go around in futile circles, I'm doing quite well out of it as it happens

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Crocker was joining supposed to be joining 'early 2020' and it's the 17th of Jan, so I don't think there is much issue he's not here yet.
    Of course he canít work behind the scenes can he he doesnít have club email, phone or fax so canít do a thing......;-)

Not sure what people are worried about. With the fixture we have left we should be aiming for near 45 points, which is incredible given our start. And I think we only got 46 when we last came 8th and started going downhill.

Signing strategy and player exits should be for the summer really. Just can't see any decent options being available right now. And while we hope and somewhat assume we'll be staying up, a player doesn't know that so it is more difficult to attract people in January.

anyone think Ralph will be here next year to start the rebuild?

Yes.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Speak for yourself. The fans I work with shockingly have the same mindset. Only online does the patience seem unrealistically abject.
    You actually work? I just assumed you were a mad, retired old codger considering how much you go on about the subject. I do apologise for some of my assumptions..

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Well we were meant to have a DOF and player trading expert in place before Novembers transfer window, so yes there is.

any danger we might get rid of this ****?

TonicLikeLemonadeffs

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7aTCavgI9U/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Why does it matter where Crocker is?
    Glover is handling the January non signings

Crocker is due to join early 2020, thought it was a given that means end January based on notice to FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Well we were meant to have a DOF and player trading expert in place before Novembers transfer window, so yes there is.
    Jeez. For the last time. An article in the telegraph is not a press release. Has it occurred to you that when a telegraph article does not bear fruit it's because it's an inaccurate newspaper article rather than something that's "meant" to be happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    What do you think?

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

Yes. Why not?

Jeez. For the last time. An article in the telegraph is not a press release. Has it occurred to you that when a telegraph article does not bear fruit it's because it's an inaccurate newspaper article rather than something that's "meant" to be happening?
    I know it's not a press release but its been clear that the Telegraph and certain reporters there have been the clubs go to source for a number of years. They are always first to break transfer news, management changes etc even just the way the articles are written it "Southampton will" very definite statements, not Southampton might, or our sources tell us, etc that all the other media outlets report. So it's pretty obvious the club use them as their mouthpiece. Just read these to paragraphs, a very definite statement with details, not some random journalist speculating, just because you don't like to believe it doesn't make it untrue.

"Southampton’s board and ownership have given their full backing to manager Ralph Hasenhuttl after the shattering 9-0 record-equalling Premier League defeat to Leicester City on Friday, pledging to rebuild the squad rather than remove their Austrian coach.
    The staff were told on Saturday morning that the club’s belief in the approach of Hasenhuttl is unshakeable and that there will be changes in the short-term as well as the long to players after two seasons of struggle. A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break."

Just read in the Standard that Southampton are interested in Joe Bryan from Fulham - left back

No....

Yep

...maybe?

I know it's not a press release but its been clear that the Telegraph and certain reporters there have been the clubs go to source for a number of years. They are always first to break transfer news, management changes etc even just the way the articles are written it "Southampton will" very definite statements, not Southampton might, or our sources tell us, etc that all the other media outlets report. So it's pretty obvious the club use them as their mouthpiece. Just read these to paragraphs, a very definite statement with details, not some random journalist speculating, just because you don't like to believe it doesn't make it untrue.

"Southampton’s board and ownership have given their full backing to manager Ralph Hasenhuttl after the shattering 9-0 record-equalling Premier League defeat to Leicester City on Friday, pledging to rebuild the squad rather than remove their Austrian coach.
    The staff were told on Saturday morning that the club’s belief in the approach of Hasenhuttl is unshakeable and that there will be changes in the short-term as well as the long to players after two seasons of struggle. A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break."
    Two things there.

1) I'm not doubting for a moment we feed 'information' to the Telegraph but that doesn't mean that they don't a) Come up with their own stories and rumours without reference to the club or b) Sex up the 'news' we do feed them with some extra details to sell papers.

2) The stories about 'looking to strengthen... full back and CB are a priority' are deliberately vague and ambiguous. It's just like that Brexit bus. It gives two related pieces of information and allows readers to jump to their own fanciful conclusions. I've yet to see any statement from Saints or the Telegraph saying, "We will sign two full backs and a CB in January."

Apparently we are considering Romeu to Celta Vigo. Very sad about this

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Two things there.

1) I'm not doubting for a moment we feed 'information' to the Telegraph but that doesn't mean that they don't a) Come up with their own stories and rumours without reference to the club or b) Sex up the 'news' we do feed them with some extra details to sell papers.

2) The stories about 'looking to strengthen... full back and CB are a priority' are deliberately vague and ambiguous. It's just like that Brexit bus. It gives two related pieces of information and allows readers to jump to their own fanciful conclusions. I've yet to see any statement from Saints or the Telegraph saying, "We will sign two full backs and a CB in January."
    You couldn't have looked very hard, they are in that very same article in the Telegraph

"Currently in 18th place in January they will address the most pressing problems that they have at full-back and centre-back. There is an acceptance that the club do not have the right profile of player in every position to suit Hasenhuttl's pressing-style game."

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post

Been a good player, but he just doesn’t have the legs for Ralph’s style of play.

You couldn't have looked very hard, they are in that very same article in the Telegraph

"Currently in 18th place in January they will address the most pressing problems that they have at full-back and centre-back. There is an acceptance that the club do not have the right profile of player in every position to suit Hasenhuttl's pressing-style game."
    Yep, I saw exactly what they said. They will address it, just means, "we'll have a look and see." Might mean a signing, might be a loan, might be a current player improving and stepping up.

I've only seen articles claiming Celta Vigo want him and he may want to go, not that Saints are considering anything. Do those exist?

Yep, I saw exactly what they said. They will address it, just means, "we'll have a look and see." Might mean a signing, might be a loan, might be a current player improving and stepping up.
    If you read that article and see think that the club saing that publicly that they back the manager and we don't have the players to play the way he wants and will address the most pressing problems at centre back and full back in January but that just means "We'll see, might be, perhaps" etc then I cant help you any further im afraid.

Correct. People are reading far too much into an article, both in terms of interpretation and origin. I refer back to Ralph comments yesterday which were perfectly clear.

34. Default

Communication departments of big corporations up and down the land would be high fiving themselves reading this.

The only people who ever get anything wrong are the newspapers.

Businesses don't ever make promises they can't deliver, it's just those evil journalists, you know, making it all up.

Absolute mug.

Correct. People are reading far too much into an article, both in terms of interpretation and origin. I refer back to Ralph comments yesterday which were perfectly clear.
    He also said this a few weeks ago, which was perfectly clear. Not sure what's changed.

“The window in the summer wasn’t perfect. It’s absolutely clear that we have to do something in the full back position because even now we have one out,” Hasenhuttl told a news conference on Thursday.

“We only have Ryan Bertrand and Cedric Soares in these two positions, so this is definitely a position we’re looking for... We’ll do something.”

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Communication departments of big corporations up and down the land would be high fiving themselves reading this.

The only people who ever get anything wrong are the newspapers.

Businesses don't ever make promises they can't deliver, it's just those evil journalists, you know, making it all up.

Absolute mug.
    Direct quotes from the manager, absolute categorical statements via the clubs media source yet people are "reading too much into it" and what they really meant was "maybe"

Last weeks comment

ďWeíre available in the market and weíre searching for, particularly, full-backs as a result of we all know that we now have not that many choices in the meanwhile,Ē Hasenhuttl stated.
    ďWeíve got Ryan [Bertrand] Ė not likely another for him. And we are also lacking younger [Yann] Valery on the best facet, we now have not that many options.
    ďThis will probably be positively a place the place we do one thing within the winter break.

Just meant we might have a look though...Ö

He also said this a few weeks ago, which was perfectly clear. Not sure what's changed.

“The window in the summer wasn’t perfect. It’s absolutely clear that we have to do something in the full back position because even now we have one out,” Hasenhuttl told a news conference on Thursday.

“We only have Ryan Bertrand and Cedric Soares in these two positions, so this is definitely a position we’re looking for... We’ll do something.”

So no actually promises of signing again then. I don't see how this is so hard to understand. It's politics 101, vague ambiguous statements which set readers off down a path and let them jog along to their own conclusions. Neither the club nor the Telegraph have explicitly said, "Saints will sign three defenders in January."

So no actually promises of signing again then. I don't see how this is so hard to understand. It's politics 101, vague ambiguous statements which set readers off down a path and let them jog along to their own conclusions. Neither the club nor the Telegraph have explicitly said, "Saints will sign three defenders in January."
    I think it's you that's struggling my friend. The clubs media friends and the Manager himself have repeatedly said over a period of months we will and have to do something yet you and Egg are putting it down to people reading too much into it, that maybe we'll have look. I realise you've put yourself into a corner by making out they are saying something else, but they really aren't.

Why do you understand why we are sticking with Valery? Not many in the stands do. He can't defend, track, mark or tackle.
    Because it's clear that Cedric is first choice, and has been performing much better since he's been getting a run in the team. He's also not often injured, which means Valery is unlikely to need to be used much between now and the end of the season. And if he is? Well he showed last season that he has the ability to fill in. Maybe his poor performances this season were illness related? Either way if Ralph feels Valery and Vokins are good enough, we probably won't be seeing a full back incoming. Mistake? Perhaps if we do lose Cedric or Bertrand to injury but we will see. Me wanting a first choice right back to come in is in the knowledge that we lose Cedric in the summer, then we can bed him in and see what he has to offer for the rest of this season - if we do that, then it won't matter that Valery is fit or not.

I too would be sad to see him go, I think he's a good player and we would almost definitely need another central midfielder to come in unless we have some brave faith in Smallbone and Slattery. I hope this is another one that doesn't happen until the summer.

I think it's you that's struggling my friend. The clubs media friends and the Manager himself have repeatedly said over a period of months we will and have to do something yet you and Egg are putting it down to people reading too much into it, that maybe we'll have look. I realise you've put yourself into a corner by making out they are saying something else, but they really aren't.

If you really can't see the difference between, "We will/have to do something," and "we will sign three defenders in January," then I can't help YOU.

I don't need help, thank you very much. I've seen enough bullsh*t promises from politicians to know that article was an open ended promise from day one. I never believed we'd sign three defenders then, I don't believe it now and more fool anyone who did.

I'm not some gullible mug who believes everything the club tells me, quite the opposite. I pretty much ignore what's in the press and on twitter. How frequently I attend games and therefore hand over my money depends on what we're doing on the pitch. If we sign nobody in January, then the club will live and die by their actions. If we start shipping 4 goals in every home game again, I'll stop going.

Over and out.

'It's absolutely clear that we have to do something in the full back position'

When asked how important the window is to his side, Hasenhuttl replied: "Absolutely important. We must see that we get some new players in. We know this. The summer window was not perfect for us.

"It is absolutely clear that we must do something with the full-back positions. This is definitely a position we're looking at for the moment and we will do something."

"I would like to make transfers and the sooner we can get somebody the better it is," he said.

"We've spoken about the full-back positions we have at the moment – Cedric Soares and Ryan Bertrand and that's it. So for two positions two players.

“Absolutely important. We must see that we get some new players in. We know this. The summer window was not perfect for us."

All direct quotes from the manager in the last month, but what he really meant was we'll have a look, jesus wept.

43. Default

If your minimum requirement is a football manager saying they formally and unequivocally promise to do something then god help us all.

Absolutely mental beyond belief.

If you really can't see the difference between, "We will/have to do something," and "we will sign three defenders in January," then I can't help YOU.

I don't need help, thank you very much. I've seen enough bullsh*t promises from politicians to know that article was an open ended promise from day one. I never believed we'd sign three defenders then, I don't believe it now and more fool anyone who did.

I'm not some gullible mug who believes everything the club tells me, quite the opposite. I pretty much ignore what's in the press and on twitter. How frequently I attend games and therefore hand over my money depends on what we're doing on the pitch. If we sign nobody in January, then the club will live and die by their actions. If we start shipping 4 goals in every home game again, I'll stop going.

Over and out.
    Sorry mate but it's getting embarrassing, I'm just quoting what the manager has said. "absolutely clear" "We have to" "we must" "absolutely important" "We must get new players in, we know this"

You keep believing that he means we'll just take a look and see

Absolutely. There is a perception that because we don't sign a player that we fans have been let down/been lied to/the club is shifting position etc. Buying players ain't like buying a mop on amazon. It's highly possible that we've been unable to get deals over the line for whatever reasons and are stating publicly that we're happy with what we have...any other message makes us a hostage to fortune if we go into the market.
    Hard to see the wood or the trees when you have your eyes tightly clenched shut.

I canít wait to see our new defender, Vileda, at LB when Bertrand is injured. He may trip attackers or actually tackle them if left unattended on the floor. At least an improvement on Valeryís marking or Vestergaardís Maasai Mara style leaping!!

Hey! Letís just make excuses for possibly our worst ever owner. Letís not sign any players. Save them money & maybe even have a whip around. Letís have no ambition. Letís make ridiculous justifications and appeasement and letís get relegated!!

F**k me, some of the low standards and zero ambition on here is just weird and I get stick for pointing out the obvious. Mind boggling. Whatís funny is that someone else makes a contrary comment and you latch onto it with both hands. Itís embarrassing and beyond logic. You do realise the Premier League is a football competition and the teams strive to assemble the best team they can to try to score more goals than the opposition (whilst defending opposition attacks) and get as many points as they can manage over a season, competing to win the league?! or possibly even win a cup?

This isnít the dirty dozen when you are assembling a group of reprobates and losers. Our club isnít the Event Horizon either. We donít want another trip into utter chaos. Weíve been there and weíve done that and itís not that much fun. Iíd like to remain where we are and compete like we did 4 or 5 years ago or is that unrealistic and really stupid of me to want so much? Is that my inherent negativity making me so intolerant of this absolute clusterf*ck management?!

No ones answered the question. Where is Matt Crocker? I joked we are waiting till after the transfer window but I donít think that is far from the truth. Is he still with the FA?

Sorry mate but it's getting embarrassing, I'm just quoting what the manager has said. "absolutely clear" "We have to" "we must" "absolutely important" "We must get new players in, we know this"

You keep believing that he means we'll just take a look and see
    You reluctantly seen your tedious Instagram influencers posting up all sorts of sell-out cr*p that you don’t wanna see. Well, here we have the fan forum influencers. Talking sh*t since 1996.

You don't get stick for pointing out the obvious.

You get stick for constantly being negative and for being rude to people who don't share your obvious nasty critical streak. You also get stick for your obvious hatred for an owner you know nothing about and have never met.

Matt Crocker had to give notice to the FA and when that notice period ends he will begin work at Southampton FC.

You actually write very well but the problem is with what you write. People just get tired of an endless stream of bitterness.

You are one very sad individual if that is all you have to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    If your minimum requirement is a football manager saying they formally and unequivocally promise to do something then god help us all.

Absolutely mental beyond belief.
    I’ve heard some crazy arguments in my life but some of these people, contesting very valid points, is absolutely laughable and embarrassing. It’s also stranger as I have never witnessed fans (face to face) sharing some of these outlandish views.

The manager is hardly going to do a boy scout or Benny Hill salute and say “I promised to sign...”, are they? Where did you learn to debate or argue, the wide-awake club?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post

You get stick for constantly being negative and for being rude to people who don't share your obvious nasty critical streak. You also get stick for your obvious hatred for an owner you know nothing about and have never met.

Matt Crocker had to give notice to the FA and when that notice period ends he will begin work at Southampton FC.

You actually write very well but the problem is with what you write. People just get tired of an endless stream of bitterness.

Cheeky sod. It’s not bitterness, it’s frustration and passion but I can take stick. I would hardly say it’s a nasty streak, just strong adjectives as that’s how I write. I haven’t been overly harsh on people. In fact I would say I get worse comment back at me for just having a different opinion. Only recently have I got past the threshold of patience with prevaricating press assurances and There is a wealth of evidence online and from television interviews which the more astute forum posters have also picked up on.

I am a little more forthright than most but so are many. CB Fry can be extremely sarcastic and occasionally rude but generally he simply, he is fairly sharp & doesn’t suffer fools lightly. I’ve had a mild moan at him for being rude to me once but I certainly wouldn’t have thousands of being bitter and a sad individual which is rude
    I’ve had a mild moan at him for being rude to me once but I certainly wouldn’t chastise the chap and accuse him of being bitter and a sad individual which is plain rude. I can deal with it but I’m just pointing it out.

How many fans have met the chairman? You don’t need to meet someone to criticise them. I’m aware I’m harsh on our owner but he has done nothing for the club and he hasn’t put any investment in and since he arrived (but likely taken out, can’t be proven so let’s not focus on that remark) yet we have we had a tissue of lies and misinformation and that angers me and it always will anger me. It can’t be coincidental this method of news has started since Gao took ownership and he landed us Chinese marketing/sponsorship via online media companies so make of that what you will.

I can’t abide bullsh*tters and I work in an industry of this so deal with myopic morons daily. So at the end of the day, my patience may be tested more than most but that’s understandable. Set offend you then I apologise as I like harmony believe it or not . Just take it with a pinch of salt. This is football. Not a life skills therapy talk. I would much rather contentious points and debate rather than a load of insipid, mutual agreement but everyone is different. I respect that and wouldn’t ask anyone to be any different.

You know I don’t just contribute rants and most will accept that the owner isn’t contributing well. I do sometimes go off on a tangent which I accept is not always ideal. I will try to limit it as I’ve said my bit but in the transfer window with ever diminishing assurances in the press, everyone has a right to get annoyed and that’s ok. It’s certainly not inherent negativity, it is dissatisfaction with poor standards and dishonesty and a series of socially engineered, divisive reported and inactive transfer windows & I never react well to dishonesty.

Granted, me typing this is boring even myself and people don’t need to read that. For that I apologise but I will defend myself. I will try & keep things transfer related as I do like harmony, shockingly, although - essentially - this is transfer talk (on heat! Lol) but we do prefer the juicy bits like a signing. Sadly, we haven’t seen much of that in recent years. When people used to put up rumours on here, they got shot down for being attention seekers.

Happy Friday and I will apologise for the excessively long tirades. Let’s hope we find a full back soon as, we surely must all agree, we bloody need one. However, I do not shoot people down for having a different opinion to me, many more do. I just rebuke some people down for having really stupid opinions that I don’t believe are entirely genuine, possibly having an agenda.

Peace & f**kin’ x

GM

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post

Sorry Jordan, some people might think everything is wonderful but a few good wins don’t change the fundamental issues of the last three years or the stream of appeasement articles that come out of the club after some bad news and never deliver any of their content.