January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Cheers Del. At least someone has pointed to a link. I won't comment re Mitchell as the focus here is transfer. Re those, two points :

1. Why would the club leak untrue transfer speculation? How does it help the club or fans?

2. Assuming though that those names came from the club, what's to say that all or some were not targeted but didn't come off, hence Carillo? I love a conspiracy theory but a need persuading that there's one here.

Bizarre you even need to ask the question about how leaking "ambitious" transfer targets early in January is beneficial to the club. Pretty obvious why it benefits the club.

Cheers Del. At least someone has pointed to a link. I won't comment re Mitchell as the focus here is transfer. Re those, two points :

1. Why would the club leak untrue transfer speculation? How does it help the club or fans?

2. Assuming though that those names came from the club, what's to say that all or some were not targeted but didn't come off, hence Carillo? I love a conspiracy theory but a need persuading that there's one here.

No idea what they’d gain from it, seems pretty stupid to me. However it’s always but he same source and it’s awfully convenient how shortly after some bad news a good news story appears in the telegraph. After the 9-0

Leicester loss there was another article saying about how we would be bringing in at least two new member of staff to replace Wilson and making a few signings in January.

I know people working at the marketing department. It doesn't matter why they do it but I know for an absolute fact that they do. After the 9-0 they, had a whole contingency plan for damage control. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a number of tactics ready to go for a number of bad news scenarios.

Indulge me.
If you've never over-promised to get a job, or a sh ag, or to impress your friends or the bank manager then I can't really help you sunshine.

You're a political manifesto writer's dream.

Edited by CB Fry

I know people working at the marketing department. It doesn't matter why they do it but I know for an absolute fact that they do. After the 9-0 they, had a whole contingency plan for damage control. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a number of tactics ready to go for a number of bad news scenarios.
No you've got it all wrong. Evil journalists making up evil lies to sell evil copies of their evil newspapers while the helpless club looks on holding on to their blameless innocent sword of truth. I feel so sorry for them.

If you've never over-promised to get a job, or a sh ag, or to impress your friends or the bank manager then I can't really help you sunshine.

That says nothing. I've done all of those. On topic, ie footy transfers, what's your super obvious theory as to why a footy club would make up rumours and seek to publicise them? If the suggestion is that player X is a target, or his agent is touting him to us, are you suggesting that a few moody names of other targets in the telegraph as a point of reference strengthens out hand?! If you are, that's ridiculous, especially given how obvious and we'll known our tactics apparently are.

I’m still not sure what exactly you think has been said by the club, to journalists and why?

Supposing the club (indirectly) tell the fans we’re going to sign Carlos Soccerama, Corinthians top scorer, for £40m - then we actually sign Ade Akinbeye on loan from Stoke. How is that beneficial to anyone associated with the club?

If far more likely:

A) We did at least make enquiries, nothing came of it and rumours leaked out that we were interested.

B) Carlos Soccerama’s agent made it up because West Ham are interested and want to force their hand/up the wages.

C) Trolls and journalists need people to pay attention to their ramblings and make stuff up on a daily basis.

Good to see you helping to keep this thread on topic ...

Any chance of some transfer rumours??

That says nothing. I've done all of those. On topic, ie footy transfers, what's your super obvious theory as to why a footy club would make up rumours and seek to publicise them? If the suggestion is that player X is a target, or his agent is touting him to us, are you suggesting that a few moody names of other targets in the telegraph as a point of reference strengthens out hand?! If you are, that's ridiculous, especially given how obvious and we'll known our tactics apparently are.

Dishing out sh!t on the pitch, fans unhappy... what makes fans happy (other than winning)...?

It’s no surprise to me that the over ‘promising’ only ever seems to happen when we’re ****. You do the maths.

Of course, it could be that we’re really unlucky and just never get to land our transfer targets

I don't think I've got much to gain from debating with someone who believes Southampton Football Club have never made a promise they haven't delivered on and never broken any promises.

You're sweet.

Dishing out sh!t on the pitch, fans unhappy... what makes fans happy (other than winning)...?

It’s no surprise to me that the over ‘promising’ only ever seems to happen when we’re ****. You do the maths.

Of course, it could be that we’re really unlucky and just never get to land our transfer targets

We all feel it when we're playing badly / losing. A rumour in a paper ain't gonna make me feel any happier of it doesn't come off. Quite the opposite in fact, if I believe we're signing a player but it doesn't happen, and we're still **** on the pitch then I'm more ****ed off. We see it differently pal, but I don't get why the club would make up transfer rumours.

This is a stupid comparison. With all the things you said when the person finds out you were fibbing it's too late, in the case of Southampton what do they gain from a few weeks of good will, a few weeks of improved ticket sales? Surely that will be cancelled out by the bad will generated when the players don't turn up.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

I don't think I've got much to gain from debating with someone who believes Southampton Football Club have never made a promise they haven't delivered on and never broken any promises.

You're sweet.

Pathetic response. You apparently have a simple explanation why the club make up transfer rumours but won't explain. Pathetic.

This is a stupid comparison. With all the things you said when the person finds out you were fibbing it's too late, in the case of Southampton what do they gain from a few weeks of good will, a few weeks of improved ticket sales? Surely that will be cancelled out by the bad will generated when the players don't turn up.

That's nonsense and not how pr works at all. You feed a bunch of names to a friendly journalist or paper like the telegraph, you get fans excited and distracted from asking questions about transfer policy and then when it doesn't come off and the window has passed you have plausible deniability and a bunch of fans who may have been demanding signings but instead were getting excited and discussing the potential in the leaked "signings" and now it's too late to do anything so might as well wait until the next window. How is this difficult to understand? Some of you have obviously never done a pr or marketing course in your lives.

Pathetic response. You apparently have a simple explanation why the club make up transfer rumours but won't explain. Pathetic.
He's just trying to wind you up because his argument is bad. Don't rise to it. Until he can clearly say how the club specifically benefits from lying then just ignore.

It is blindingly obvious why they do it, to give fans something to talk about and deflect from the lack of real transfer activity whilst the window is open if they are talking about quincy promes signing for example they won't be talking about the frustration at the real lack of signings. How is this a difficult concept for you to grasp?

Appeasement. Quite simply. After a bit of bad news a good news story appears. Every. single. Time.

That's nonsense and not how pr works at all. You feed a bunch of names to a friendly journalist or paper like the telegraph, you get fans excited and distracted from asking questions about transfer policy and then when it doesn't come off and the window has passed you have plausible deniability and a bunch of fans who may have been demanding signings but instead were getting excited and discussing the potential in the leaked "signings" and now it's too late to do anything so might as well wait until the next window. How is this difficult to understand? Some of you have obviously never done a pr or marketing course in your lives.
This is so stupid. Why would people have positive feelings which are beneficial when the signing is rumoured and not negative ones when the signing is not delivered. In my opinion it overwhelmingly averages out negative

It is blindingly obvious why they do it, to give fans something to talk about and deflect from the lack of real transfer activity whilst the window is open if they are talking about quincy promes signing for example they won't be talking about the frustration at the real lack of signings. How is this a difficult concept for you to grasp?

I repeat, tell me how that benefits the clubs, short and long term. Short term season ticket holders will come along with or without transfer rumours, and day trippers won't come along this week cos they've read in the telegraph that played x might sign next week. Long term, broken promises (not there have been any) damage goodwill. I'm guessing your pr course had anything to do with the football business.

This is so stupid. Why would people have positive feelings which are beneficial when the signing is rumoured and not negative ones when the signing is not delivered. In my opinion it overwhelmingly averages out negative

You clearly have a rudimentary understanding of how pr works. It doesn't really matter if you think it's a negative thing, loads of clubs do it and I know for an absolute fact that we also do it. What do you think that piece in the paper immediately after the Leicester game was about? Coincidental timing? Do you consider it a coincidence that the same handful of journalists get inside scoops from saints? We have a marketing and or department for a reason.

Appeasement. Quite simply. After a bit of bad news a good news story appears. Every. single. Time.

Del. CB Fry is a big boy and can do his own explaining. I get the appeasement point, but as above, I fail to see how it has any possible benefit in the footy business.

Everyone completely missing the point that fake transfer news can also be misdirection to try to get another move done.

We know agents do it all the time. "My player has interest from Chelsea and liverpool". Why wouldn't clubs spread false targets to speed up negotiations with another.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Everyone completely missing the point that fake transfer news can also be misdirection to try to get another move done.

We know agents do it all the time. "My player has interest from Chelsea and liverpool". Why wouldn't clubs spread false targets to speed up negotiations with another.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well the article from Dec 2017 worked spectacularly then didn't it. We were linked with proven premier league players in all outfield positions and we managed to throw everyone off the sent as we snapped up Monacos fourth choice striker for a bargain £20m right at the end of the window.

Bizarre you even need to ask the question about how leaking "ambitious" transfer targets early in January is beneficial to the club. Pretty obvious why it benefits the club.

I’ll assume you mean that if we’re told we tried to sign a great player and failed, we will all just sit here happy that we tried to be ambitious. Now, I can sort of see the logic in that but how many people do you think are actually stupid enough to fall for it? When Les left, there was a poll and 95% of people were glad to see the back of him. He was judged in what he did and what he failed to do, both by the fans and rest of the boardroom. Not by rumours of superstar signings in the Telegraph.

To put an analogy on it, it’s like leaving some Barbados holiday brochures lying around the house, some fake, business class Virgin Atlantic tickets in strategic places around the house and asking the wife to buy 4 bottles of factor 30. Then book a static caravan weekend in Ilfracombe and tell the family there was a booking error and the Caribbean trip got cancelled. I don’t think they’d be impressed and would probably stop believing you if you did it twice a year.

Sorry I know I’ve gone a bit off topic but there’s little else to discus on this thread ATM.

I’ll assume you mean that if we’re told we tried to sign a great player and failed, we will all just sit here happy that we tried to be ambitious. Now, I can sort of see the logic in that but how many people do you think are actually stupid enough to fall for it? When Les left, there was a poll and 95% of people were glad to see the back of him. He was judged in what he did and what he failed to do, both by the fans and rest of the boardroom. Not by rumours of superstar signings in the Telegraph.

To put an analogy on it, it’s like leaving some Barbados holiday brochures lying around the house, some fake, business class Virgin Atlantic tickets in strategic places around the house and asking the wife to buy 4 bottles of factor 30. Then book a static caravan weekend in Ilfracombe and tell the family there was a booking error and the Caribbean trip got cancelled. I don’t think they’d be impressed and would probably stop believing you if you did it twice a year.

Sorry I know I’ve gone a bit off topic but there’s little else to discus on this thread ATM.

I think you need to separate the fact that the club have definitely followed this strategy from the fact that it isn't a particularly useful strategy.

Hypo/me/Turkish aren't defending it, we're just saying it happens. It seems bizarre the people here who just can't understand processes to me that are as normal practice in most big businesses.

And the reason the club still do it is because it works. Egg during this exchange has said he believes the club don't leak rumours, it's all journalists and people on twitter making it up and then later said that he believes the players they tried to sign all fell through and therefore not the clubs fault, they tried.

SFC PR team: mission accomplished.

Ultimately we'd all like the club to stop pi ssing about an assemble a better team as we did through our rise through the leagues and under Koeman.

I think you need to separate the fact that the club have definitely followed this strategy from the fact that it isn't a particularly useful strategy.

Hypo/me/Turkish aren't defending it, we're just saying it happens. It seems bizarre the people here who just can't understand processes to me that are as normal practice in most big businesses.

And the reason the club still do it is because it works. Egg during this exchange has said he believes the club don't leak rumours, it's all journalists and people on twitter making it up and then later said that he believes the players they tried to sign all fell through and therefore not the clubs fault, they tried.

SFC PR team: mission accomplished.

Ultimately we'd all like the club to stop pi ssing about an assemble a better team as we did through our rise through the leagues and under Koeman.

That’s all fair enough, I’m not doubting that the club leak info to the press. Stuff like telling the fans we’re going to sign players and change the coaches after the 0-9 is sensible PR mitigation. I’m just not sure why they would want to look like they were consistently failing to sign good players.

Well the article from Dec 2017 worked spectacularly then didn't it. We were linked with proven premier league players in all outfield positions and we managed to throw everyone off the sent as we snapped up Monacos fourth choice striker for a bargain £20m right at the end of the window.

It worked a treat, Monaco wanted £30m until master of deception, uncle Les tricked them into thinking we wanted Walcott.

That’s all fair enough, I’m not doubting that the club leak info to the press. Stuff like telling the fans we’re going to sign players and change the coaches after the 0-9 is sensible PR mitigation. I’m just not sure why they would want to look like they were consistently failing to sign good players.

I think, as CB says, the reason they do it is because it works. People like you and Egg fall for their nonsense year after year.

But I’m sure we’re wrong and the club are just really unlucky that we never land who we want. It must be those agent fee’s.

I think, as CB says, the reason they do it is because it works. People like you and Egg fall for their nonsense year after year.

But I’m sure we’re wrong and the club are just really unlucky that we never land who we want. It must be those agent fee’s.

That’s the thing though, I don’t. I believe Reed to be incompetent for failing to recruit any decent players in recent years. We needed quality player in summer and we’ve had several games this season where none of our signings made the match day 18. Okay, Djenepo was injured but still... it’s nowhere near good enough and whoever said what to the press didn’t make any difference.

It’s all a moot point. I don’t believe any rumour until I see them holding a sh*t, overpriced shirt outside a decent, overpriced training ground.

Egg during this exchange has said he believes the club don't leak rumours, it's all journalists and people on twitter making it up and then later said that he believes the players they tried to sign all fell through and therefore not the clubs fault, they tried.

No I haven't. I've said that I cannot see why the club would leak false transfer rumours.

How’s about, we start another thread, called the ‘ my d1ck is bigger than your ’d1ck’ , then you can all go out into the playground there, saves those of us interested in transfers, having to wade through all the same old crap, from the same old protagonists.

How’s about, we start another thread, called the ‘ my d1ck is bigger than your ’d1ck’ , then you can all go out into the playground there, saves those of us interested in transfers, having to wade through all the same old crap, from the same old protagonists.

there is a discussion going on about if and why the club leak names Of target fake or not to the fans via the media, which is very relevant to the transfer window and what a forum is for. If you just want news why don’t you go to news now?

Are you saying there aren't a ton of people on here but also in real life who don't take the attitude of oh well at least we gave it our best shot? I'm not saying that every name isn't someone we haven't tried to sign, but clearly we fairly regularly leak names out of players we would maybe like to sign but have little realistic chance of getting because it gives the impression that we are lore ambitious thsn we actually are. Edited by hypochondriac

That’s the thing though, I don’t. I believe Reed to be incompetent for failing to recruit any decent players in recent years. We needed quality player in summer and we’ve had several games this season where none of our signings made the match day 18. Okay, Djenepo was injured but still... it’s nowhere near good enough and whoever said what to the press didn’t make any difference.

It’s all a moot point. I don’t believe any rumour until I see them holding a sh*t, overpriced shirt outside a decent, overpriced training ground.

And that's fine but many people do believe it and are calmer than they would be had we been linked with very little because that would give more of an insight into the reality which is that we actually have very little money to spend and aren't going to spend anything like the amount that we pretend we will.

Are you not saying there aren't a ton of people on here but also in real life who don't take the attitude of oh well at least we gave it our best shot? I'm not saying that every name isn't someone we haven't tried to sign, but clearly we fairly regularly leak names out of players we would maybe like to sign but have little realistic chance of getting because it gives the impression that we are lore ambitious thsn we actually are.

The Quincey Promes story was a classic. Name was leaked for weeks supposedly his club said from day one he wasn’t for sale in January, we made a bid well below their asking price, because the obvious way to get someone to part with something they don’t want is to offer less than the minimum they’d take, then we claimed we’d sign him in the summer instead. Of course we didn’t and it all went quiet. So not a lie but obviously this was deal that was never going to happen but was leaked as a statement as to our ambition.

Remember the proposed legal action against A.Madrid?

Never happened in the end

Or was it made up nonsense from the media?

That's another example of club pr. Quincy promes supposedly signing him in the summer- never happened. A load of cbs and we got that guy in a panic after the transfer window shut, carillo last minute after a host of links to other people, numerous articles from that pet journo we feed pr stories to so we have plausible deniability, maybe we should go through some of those old articles and catalogue the mistruths and falsehoods. According to some on here it's all just made up by the journos involved.

The Quincey Promes story was a classic. Name was leaked for weeks supposedly his club said from day one he wasn’t for sale in January, we made a bid well below their asking price, because the obvious way to get someone to part with something they don’t want is to offer less than the minimum they’d take, then we claimed we’d sign him in the summer instead. Of course we didn’t and it all went quiet. So not a lie but obviously this was deal that was never going to happen but was leaked as a statement as to our ambition.
Indeed and if you have hardly any money to spend what's the smarter move? Sit on your hands and make it obvious that you can't afford anything? Or get busy linking yourself to deals that don't quite come off, shifting the story from one where sfc have a relatively small amount of cash that they aren't spending to a narrative where ambitious saints have just been unlucky in their January dealings and just missed out on big money signings on a technicality. Think about which story is going to benefit the club the most. It's not rocket science but it's amazing how many people it hoodwinks. Basic PR.

If I was the PR manager of Southampton Football Club I'd be announcing that my d1ck is bigger than every other d1ck in the United Kingdom, with a length and girth just shy of a sleeping bag rolled up lengthways.

And I could say that safe in the knowledge that there are people on this forum who cannot countenance the notion that the club would ever tell a lie or ever break a promise, so at least some would believe it for the rest of their lives.