January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

OK he's a little rumour from a source I have. Likely to be wrong but we all like a good rumour. So our interests apparently are in a cb we wanted in the summer but we wouldn't part with the cash, a striker banging them in in France (maybe for Lillie? Source couldn't remember.) and a rb. Apparently villa also after the striker, also told the Chinese bloke wants to sell and red bull have been sniffing around along with an American consortium.

I would love to know exactly WTF was behind Gao buying us...........other than shifting money out of China...Hopefully, when he goes, Kat will do one away from the club!

OK he's a little rumour from a source I have. Likely to be wrong but we all like a good rumour. So our interests apparently are in a cb we wanted in the summer but we wouldn't part with the cash, a striker banging them in in France (maybe for Lillie? Source couldn't remember.) and a rb. Apparently villa also after the striker, also told the Chinese bloke wants to sell and red bull have been sniffing around along with an American consortium.

Interesting - thanks!

Thanks for the info.

Gao wanting to sell is the only thing that makes me thing we might spend in January because he knows a relegated team is going to be worth far less than he paid for it. Let's just hope as others have said he's not looking at the table right now thinking well we are 14th so no need to spend.

I know people would be massively reluctant about Red Bull, and the name change potential would be very worrying, but you have to admire what they have done overall with their clubs, their general philosophy especially around transfers has been excellent and mirrors what we try to do as well.

The likely strikers from Ligue 1 are Victor Osimhen from Lille, who is being linked with the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs, so it might not be him.

The other one is probably Habib Diallo from Metz, who has been linked to Newcastle.

Thanks for the info.

Gao wanting to sell is the only thing that makes me thing we might spend in January because he knows a relegated team is going to be worth far less than he paid for it. Let's just hope as others have said he's not looking at the table right now thinking well we are 14th so no need to spend.

I know people would be massively reluctant about Red Bull, and the name change potential would be very worrying, but you have to admire what they have done overall with their clubs, their general philosophy especially around transfers has been excellent and mirrors what we try to do as well.

The likely strikers from Ligue 1 are Victor Osimhen from Lille, who is being linked with the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs, so it might not be him.

The other one is probably Habib Diallo from Metz, who has been linked to Newcastle.

Cheers. Like I said, I doubt it's all true and I can't see us getting more than a rb in January, but always interesting to speculate.

Too right we do, thanks!

Would much prefer Red Bull to an American consortium- they've at least proved they know how to run run a club.

This is more like it!! probably total nonsense with a crumb of truth. Saintsweb at its best!!

Just hope the last two results don't make the owner think we don't investment in new players

Don't know about Goa, but it's certainly making me think we don't need to add to the squad now. The relevant people in the club must be wondering if new signings would only be a distraction and could have more of a negative effect. The one piece of business I'd like to see is Goa taking his money and going. The only contribution I recall him making was the disruption to pre-season by his demand that the manager and some players went on that pointless trip to China.

Don't know about Goa, but it's certainly making me think we don't need to add to the squad now.
these days, if you bring someone in, you usually need to move someone out as budgets are fixed. The exception will be if a squad place wasn't filled in the summer or in desperation. Not sure if a slot was left unfilled or we are desperate, but a couple of defeats and every position will look like one we need to enhance.

Too right we do, thanks!

Would much prefer Red Bull to an American consortium- they've at least proved they know how to run run a club.

As for a potential name change as mentioned before, aren't there rules preventing brand names in club names in this country? Otherwise you'd expect they'd have snapped up someone in the lower leagues by now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Are we able to send danso home and loan in proper left back cover?

season long loans need pre agreed 'recall' clauses and for parent to want them back. No idea if his has one. If we are not going to be play him at CB that would be a good idea as he is a fish out of water at full back

Don't know about Goa, but it's certainly making me think we don't need to add to the squad now. The relevant people in the club must be wondering if new signings would only be a distraction and could have more of a negative effect. The one piece of business I'd like to see is Goa taking his money and going. The only contribution I recall him making was the disruption to pre-season by his demand that the manager and some players went on that pointless trip to China.
Just suppose Bertrand and soares picked up long term injuries. We would be in the absolute sh*t. A rb minimum would allow us to cover in that eventuality and tbh I'd rather get us someone better than cedric if possible.

As for a potential name change as mentioned before, aren't there rules preventing brand names in club names in this country? Otherwise you'd expect they'd have snapped up someone in the lower leagues by now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

There are similar rules in Germany. Didn't stop RB (RasenBallsport) Leipzig though.

Just suppose Bertrand and soares picked up long term injuries. We would be in the absolute sh*t. A rb minimum would allow us to cover in that eventuality and tbh I'd rather get us someone better than cedric if possible.

Ralph said as much in his chat after the game with the presenter and her mates yesterday. He has those two positions top of the list for January.

Exactly but some people argue for the sake of arguing. Best to not even reply against that level of IQ. Listing all the squad players & those that haven’t even figured, those whom aren’t up to standard or those are out on loan is a strange argument at best.
But the argument is that they ARE on our books. If they're not good enough, we have to move them on to make financial space before we buy. If they figure in plans, buying whilst we've still got them blocks their progress.

I'm as keen as anyone else to see us strengthen but these threads all too often degenerate into fantasy wish-lists. I guess it's more exciting to pretend or hope that we have unlimited funds rather than facing reality.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think every SFC fan would want the rumour about Gao selling up to be true. Perfectly happy to sit in the Red Bull St Mary’s Stadium. CB and RB would also be an important boost to staying up and rebuilding after Les broke the club’s legs in the transfer market.

I think every SFC fan would want the rumour about Gao selling up to be true. Perfectly happy to sit in the Red Bull St Mary’s Stadium. CB and RB would also be an important boost to staying up and rebuilding after Les broke the club’s legs in the transfer market.

The stadium would likely be renamed the Red Bull Arena and our crest would also be changed, if that matters to you

The stadium would likely be renamed the Red Bull Arena and our crest would also be changed, if that matters to you
I think at this point I can't see many saints fans being too upset by any of that. We would probably keep some elements of the crest and I personally don't give much of a toss what the stadium is called. I think it's a pretty ****e stadium anyway.

I think at this point I can't see many saints fans being too upset by any of that. We would probably keep some elements of the crest and I personally don't give much of a toss what the stadium is called. I think it's a pretty ****e stadium anyway.

The crest would be very much the same as the other Red Bull crests with none of our branding. But yes, I must be mellowing in my old age as I'm not as bothered as I would have been 5 years ago

The crest would be very much the same as the other Red Bull crests with none of our branding. But yes, I must be mellowing in my old age as I'm not as bothered as I would have been 5-10 years ago

It certainly wouldn’t bother me as much as the old reverse takeover by Lowe .

My family still ask are you going to The Dell .....when it was Friends Provident most people I know just called it St Mary’s anyway.

We are heading for big trouble under GAO but if RB could sort out the beer and queue in concourse that would be great start :-)

2 things need urgently sorting recruitment and coaching standards across the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/pundit-suggests-forster-is-frustrated-that-southampton-have-inflated-demands-for-celtic-move/ar-BBYpDLG?ocid=spartanntp

He wasnt unhappy drawing his massive wages sitting on his behind, so if we want to ask a decent price then that's fine. Hopefully someone comes in for him although I assume we would do a deal on price

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/pundit-suggests-forster-is-frustrated-that-southampton-have-inflated-demands-for-celtic-move/ar-BBYpDLG?ocid=spartanntp

He wasnt unhappy drawing his massive wages sitting on his behind, so if we want to ask a decent price then that's fine. Hopefully someone comes in for him although I assume we would do a deal on price

I would let him go for a small fee as long as we don't subside the wages

I don't get it. So other people call us RB Saints, so what. It'd make us a bigger club, and change from this crappy ownership. So many clubs plummet with poor ownership and dodgy investors you know nothing about. RB is far more transparent and fans seem to embrace all other forms of corporate money coming in.

Me neither. They would be the best possible owners we could wish for imho. I would have thought loans between the RBs could be easier too, which could be handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only mentioned in passing in a couple rumours currently.

Midfielder of the defensive variety (the player supposedly wants out)?

https://tbrfootball.com/report-aston-villa-and-southampton-want-nice-midfielder-adrien-tameze/ (also in telegraph but i don't subscribe)

More regarding Jean-Clair Todibo...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1221766/man-utd-transfer-news-barcelona-todibo-talks

Edited by Disco Stu

Sounds hopeful. Would think LB as cover.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about this "as cover" thing, unless it is a loan. For me I think we'd be better off buying a young up and coming left back that long term can challenge Bertrand for the first team spot.

Does anyone know what the situation is with McQueen?