January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

That is very encouraging unless it's only a deal out like Hoedt (which i heard somewhere like Talksport yesterday had gone through, complete with him having a pop at Ralph). But encouraging if it's a CB or full back in, and it's a good one. Also that it's the 'first'...

Will they announce today? Can they play tomorrow?

I doubt Hoedt will leave us, he is more likely to let his contract run out. The wages at Antwerp will be a fraction of his wages here and according to fans from Antwerp, he’s decent, but nowhere near special. I think the Belgium league or mid table Dutch league is his level.

The info i have as to why the agent is over here suggests that it is.

i come on here to read people moaning at each other about previous transfer windows and why its not ok to talk about that etc and you just have to clog up the thread with actual rumours - i despair

i come on here to read people moaning at each other about previous transfer windows and why its not ok to talk about that etc and you just have to clog up the thread with actual rumours - i despair

Good point. The next thing you know, he'll be clogging it up further with the actual name of the player. (Please?) :D

I can't remember the last Saints signing that wasn't in the media at least a day before it was confirmed by the club (actually it was probably our last signing, KD, but before that the point stands).

During transfer windows Agents are meeting clubs all the time, but if this is more than that then I'm sure it will be reported somewhere soon.

I am hoping that the whole full back thing is a smoke screen and the first player in will be a quality centre half. A few good results doesn’t alter the fact that we are desperately in need of one. Yes, we need cover in the FB positions but have managed for half a season and can probably get by. We know that Stephens can put in some good shifts but he lacks consistency. How long before he reverts to type?

LOL.

--------------------

Exciting news if true, be interesting to see who it is, as said above I am pretty sure all our transfers have come out in the media maybe 1-2 days before they signed, so we'll see.

Apparently statistically though spending £35 million in January on average only accounts for about 1-2 points more.

I am hoping that the whole full back thing is a smoke screen and the first player in will be a quality centre half. A few good results doesn’t alter the fact that we are desperately in need of one. Yes, we need cover in the FB positions but have managed for half a season and can probably get by. We know that Stephens can put in some good shifts but he lacks consistency. How long before he reverts to type?

Pretty sure Ralph has genuinely prioritised full backs.

We have no adequate cover for Bertrand save for a very inexperienced Vokins, and we know Cedric intends to leave in the summer which will leave us with just Valery at RB.

While we may be lacking in quality, we are not lacking in quantity of centre backs, so I seriously doubt we will be splashing any large sums of money on that position in this window.

Unless it was valerys agent...our new man is over from France

OK he's a little rumour from a source I have. Likely to be wrong but we all like a good rumour. So our interests apparently are in a cb we wanted in the summer but we wouldn't part with the cash, a striker banging them in in France (maybe for Lillie? Source couldn't remember.) and a rb. Apparently villa also after the striker, also told the Chinese bloke wants to sell and red bull have been sniffing around along with an American consortium.

Interesting. I wonder if what I was told was in any way accurate or a load of guff?

That would explain Leeds recent confidence in landing Che. He does need to play regularly. If we get a decent replacement it is a win win. If he comes good we have a quality striker for next season.

Ralph said he wasn’t going anywhere plus I thought we were after FB’s.

I came on here hoping to read autocratic idiots moaning about people moaning and not understanding conversation arcs and consensus ........

OH COOL!!! The special bus must have done its drop off!!! :lol:

I guess the biggest issue regarding any potential incoming is whether or not the January transfer window will get its own Ralph Express train animation, with the previous arrivals deemed to have already reached their destination, or whether they will be forced to squeeze into a carriage alongside their new team mates in a more realistic depiction of train travel. I imagine this conundrum is causing immense consternation within the Saints comms department, at this very moment...

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

I can't remember the last Saints signing that wasn't in the media at least a day before it was confirmed by the club (actually it was probably our last signing, KD, but before that the point stands).

During transfer windows Agents are meeting clubs all the time, but if this is more than that then I'm sure it will be reported somewhere soon.

I think it was Bertrand, who was also a LB....?

I came on here hoping to read autocratic idiots moaning about people moaning and not understanding conversation arcs and consensus ........

OH COOL!!! The special bus must have done its drop off!!! :lol:

Phew! I was worried you came on here to see someone saying something silly and lighthearted on a Friday avo so you could go weirdly mad about it

Palace in talks to sign Walker-Peters

PALACE IN FOR KYLE WALKER-PETERS

Roy Hodgson confirms Crystal Palace and Spurs are in talks over Kyle Walker-Peters, with a loan being discussed first and foremost.

“I know that the discussions are taking place, and Dougie Freedman is working very hard on that aspect. I’m optimistic and hopeful that we can get Kyle here. First hand, it was being discussed as a loan.”

Don’t tell that to Egg.

Don't be a helmet. A comment from our manager suggesting that we are signing full backs is clear. Some geezer suggesting something in a newspaper isn't.

Back on topic, LeG comments are positive.

Why have the Maehle links went quiet? There was an article saying he was available for around 7.5 million, we have been 'long term' admirers and he previously said he would be interested in a move to us. Perhaps his agent is trying to get him a bigger move and it could go to the deadline. He'll definitely leave Genk this window

Adams wants to go to Leeds and club keen too but Ralph not, I'm reading on Leeds Twitter fan sites. RH will be furious if he's overruled. (Goes the story). Guess we'll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would explain Leeds recent confidence in landing Che. He does need to play regularly. If we get a decent replacement it is a win win. If he comes good we have a quality striker for next season.

Getting Che to train under Marcelo Bielsa is the best type of loan and development you could hope for so I would much prefer that as long as we kept hold of him. Staying here & being 3rd or 4th choice isn’t going to rebuild his confidence as much as being first choice under one of the best tactical managers out there. I think a loan to Leeds is a shrewd move as our own coaching standards have descended so much, likely below that of Leeds.

I do agree with part of Sadoldgit’s comments. Don’t let a few good results deceive you. We still have a poor defence despite some solid coaching and much improved performances and sticking with a more suited line up and a consistent pairing. We still desperately need a solid CB & full backs. Nothing has really changed under than the club’s view on how little they can get away with spending.

Phew! I was worried you came on here to see someone saying something silly and lighthearted on a Friday avo so you could go weirdly mad about it

Weirdly mad?! Is that like frothing at the mouth mad when people talk about something not on your flash cards or just inherent totalitarian rage because you & your sycophant rainmen can’t process consensus?! ;o) PML

Getting Che to train under Marcelo Bielsa is the best type of loan and development you could hope for so I would much prefer that as long as we kept hold of him. Staying here & being 3rd or 4th choice isn’t going to rebuild his confidence as much as being first choice under one of the best tactical managers out there. I think a loan to Leeds is a shrewd move as our own coaching standards have descended so much, likely below that of Leeds.

I do agree with part of Sadoldgit’s comments. Don’t let a few good results deceive you. We still have a poor defence despite some solid coaching and much improved performances and sticking with a more suited line up and a consistent pairing. We still desperately need a solid CB & full backs. Nothing has really changed under than the club’s view on how little they can get away with spending.

**other than the club’s view. Having said that, I wouldn’t want to pee off Ralph if he’s against the loan but he doesn’t really have right to be since he’s dropped Che behind Long & Obafemi who are hardly prolific or efficient strikers. Tricky one. I say, loan him out & use an emergency loan if anyone up top gets injured. It’s a bit of a risky strategy but if we brought in someone like Bowen, it could unsettle Adams. Depends on your priorities I guess. It’s all a risk but the club seem to operate on a massively risky strategy. Starting this season with only one recognised left back and 2 inadequate right backs and the same, poor defence for a third successive relegation battle suggests ‘complacency’ is a board room ‘mood board slogan’ rather than a sentiment they actively avoid.

Weirdly mad?! Is that like frothing at the mouth mad when people talk about something not on your flash cards or just inherent totalitarian rage because you & your sycophant rainmen can’t process consensus?! ;o) PML

Pretty funny someone accused you of getting weirdly mad and you respond like this. "inherent totalitarian rage" "sycophant rainmen" ... you really seem like someone who has things together.

"Weirdly mad?! WEIRDLY MAD?!?!?! I'm not weirdly mad you sycophantic totalitarian!!! URGHHHH!".

I have to say I am part of the camp that wishes this thread would stay a little more on topic rather than devolve into a slapfight about nonsense no one will win and cannot be solved as we will never know the answer. Maybe the club leaks fake transfers which aren't going to happen for short term PR gain in exchange for long term PR loss, maybe they don't and writers just make up or hugely exaggerate minor rumours in order to get clicks or meet a deadline without the clubs consent. Maybe both. Who knows? Not us, ever.

Edited by TWar

My bet is that all we have the money for this window is a loan or two.

Which would be sensible.

Get cover in without burning yourself financially.

Prefer to get permanent players in this summer when prices are less inflated, players are more likely to move.

Unless a gem is available in January and immediately improves our team, I wouldn’t spend the money now

My bet is that all we have the money for this window is a loan or two.

I think one permanent around 10m and one/two loans. I don't see us signing an LB permanently as I think Bertrand is doing well and we don't need competition there now, just cover. Will look for competition in the summer I imagine.

Which would be sensible.

Get cover in without burning yourself financially.

Prefer to get permanent players in this summer when prices are less inflated, players are more likely to move.

Unless a gem is available in January and immediately improves our team, I wouldn’t spend the money now

The trouble is - we will get to the summer and still do nothing...... our fans bore me, how many times are we prepared to make excuses for our owner - it taken over a year to ge mahele done - people said last Jan ot would get down on the summer, now Jan and it goes on.....

The trouble is - we will get to the summer and still do nothing...... our fans bore me, how many times are we prepared to make excuses for our owner - it taken over a year to ge mahele done - people said last Jan ot would get down on the summer, now Jan and it goes on.....

When did this happen - must have missed it