January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Who had also played for England and in a champions league final

Merely pointing out that just because hes second or third choice at his current club doesnt mean he isnt a good player. Distinctly remember some on here who werent happy with Bertrand signing and it worked out very well. This thread already shows people writing KWP off. If he doesnt do well then its 'i told you so'. If he does very well then its 'happy to be proved wrong'. Give the fella a chance and base your views on his performances for us

Merely pointing out that just because hes second or third choice at his current club doesnt mean he isnt a good player. Distinctly remember some on here who werent happy with Bertrand signing and it worked out very well. This thread already shows people writing KWP off. If he doesnt do well then its 'i told you so'. If he does very well then its 'happy to be proved wrong'. Give the fella a chance and base your views on his performances for us
Don't be so bloody silly...you know that it isn't how things work on here....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It is ironic we been so brow beaten over the course of the previous 4/5 transfer windows I've not see any good rumours, I can't even be bothered to check myself and we all hope in the summer will be our big push.

But we've been here every summer and we never have our hopes exceeded, we struggle to try and get someone that a championship club could buy.

To quote the youth of today, its jokes.

I don't know much about him other than 3 or so years ago he was very highly rated and tipped to be the long term successor to Kyle Walker after he joined Man City. It hasn't happened for whatever reason and doesn't seem like he can get a game at Spurs. Be interesting to see how he does with a run of games in a team

Impression I've got from speaking to friends who are Spurs fans is that KWP is decent and needs a run of games, which he'll inevitably get at us, but just doesn't quite fit the standard of where they want to be as a club, certainly in the timeframe they expect where they can give him that time.

Perhaps us giving him that game time will help him there, but think this is a fairly smart move. He's effectively on a try before you buy; if he's horrendous, you'd hope the option means we won't get burned.

Bit worried about how many on here have mates who are Spurs fans. Do you have no pride or self esteem?

My grandad supports Spurs. Was a long time season ticket holder who also had a spell working in the players bar. I asked his opinion on Walker-Peters and he said "I've never heard of him."

He is 95 though so I'll let him off.

Bit worried about how many on here have mates who are Spurs fans. Do you have no pride or self esteem?

I like him except for the fact that he supports a bunch of ****s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A spurs mate comments: 'He is a bit light imo. I would rather he left on a permanent deal'

Glowing endorsement it is not.

Yeah but fans are fickle and all these people are forgetting one simple fact. They’re spurs fans. Their opinions are in the same arena as the Skates, deluded & stupid. I bet some of them still think they’re still a big club and have a entitlement to win trophies!? :lol:

Asking rival fans advice on a departing player is akin to asking your ex-girlfriend her opinion on your new date. Advuce from a rival fan is never going to be of a balanced and unbiased view. Add to the fact it is a Spurs fan, then all sense and logic disappears as soon as their lips move. They’re not going to use lateral thinking. They probably aren’t egej going to employ thinking.

It’s the same philosophy of that mate we all gave whom constantly points out & chats to women. They’re all amazing to him until you point out or speak to a lady who is clearly of a better standard and you ask his opinion, then he responds reticently and belittles your choice. I think it’s called having your nose put out of joint. True opinion is tarnished by ego.

With a good bit of coaching and support from the manager, KWP will come good. Then you will look back on this thread and wonder what you were even worried about...I hope. ;)

If you want any more evidence Spurs fans are thick 2 chants on Saturday....Poch he left because your sh1t and Gareth Bale .....um how thick .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did saints fans respond with “you’re his a small town near arsenal”?

That would make it all make sense.

Cedric to leave for free so we cash in in January, but need a new RB to come in. So we go for KWP.

Bet that's what's happening. We literally need to sell a starting player and key experience to get someone new in who might not be as good. Classic.

Wouldn't surprise me. "The Saints Way" seems to be selling off and downgrading the quality. Soares isn't up to much and is weak and not physical but he's a decent dribbler when he can sort out his boy band, weak-willed mentality. Valery is inferior and not of PL quality imho.

I have now idea if we will sign KWP and, if we do, how he will do (obviously) but conversely to what I said, I do believe he could offer an improvement with regular starts and good coaching but that is by no means guaranteed...if we do actually sign anyone. Any transfer movement tends to be dependent on selling still which is utterly ridiculous when you look at options available to Ralph. Particularly the defensive and midfield options available but we have done that to death but injuries are a current concern. Personally, I would like us to strive for more rather than "make do" as so many nonchalantly capitulate. We should push for more, for ambitious improvements to offer better competition and success. We should just make do. Don't let the mantra and low expectations grind you down. #TheSouthamptonWay

That would make it all make sense.

Cedric to leave for free so we cash in in January, but need a new RB to come in. So we go for KWP.

Bet that's what's happening. We literally need to sell a starting player and key experience to get someone new in who might not be as good. Classic.

TBF though it would be worth selling Soares if the alternative is him leaving for nothing. We are almost certainly safe now anyway.

TBF though it would be worth selling Soares if the alternative is him leaving for nothing. We are almost certainly safe now anyway.

How much would we realistically get for him? £6m as per the article, more than likely less.

What’s the difference in prize money between bottom half and europa league (Unlikely, but still a possibility)?

For the sake of 5-6m keep him and give ourselves the best opportunity of finishing as high as possible. Sell Cédric and we’re in the same situation we are now.

Surely we’re not that skint that we can’t write off a couple of £m

The sensible thing would be to keep Soares until the end of the season and sign a pre-contract agreement with ARSEnal (or whoever), as has been done before. Soares would love it as he seems totally the money / status type of professional. Then we bring in KWP to be first choice RB if decent enough, replacing Soares in the summer. Not saying that may not be in our plans but we tend to favour the maximum financial return combined with max. risk strategy, much like we did with Targett and entering this campaign with the same relegation battling defence for a third season *boardroom fingers crossed*. Judging the club historically before I get accused of being inherently negative prior to any retort. I can't second guess the club. Only to cynically assume the worst transfer wise which has often been a good guessing foundation. Let's hope we can buck this trend soon :lol:

How much would we realistically get for him? £6m as per the article, more than likely less.

What’s the difference in prize money between bottom half and europa league (Unlikely, but still a possibility)?

For the sake of 5-6m keep him and give ourselves the best opportunity of finishing as high as possible. Sell Cédric and we’re in the same situation we are now.

I hardly think replacing Soares is going to result in too huge a difference in the league. It wasn't that many games ago that he was absolutely rubbish with very little effort. If we think we have found his replacement and we can bring him in and give him six months to bed in before next season then I'd be up for it. We'd also get a few more million for transfers which given our financial situation is probably a good thing.

Wise words but we seem to see short term cash before even looking at the wider picture. Hence going into the season with just Bertrand at LB. We ride our luck and never seem to learn. Did the same after selling the whole squad to Liverpool and getting away with it. Would be great to get back to the days of being ambitious and not taking outrageous risks for the sake of a quick buck. For supposedly intelligent billionaires, it's actually a wiser method to adopt. Mind boggling short sighted behaviour.

I hardly think replacing Soares is going to result in too huge a difference in the league. It wasn't that many games ago that he was absolutely rubbish with very little effort. If we think we have found his replacement and we can bring him in and give him six months to bed in before next season then I'd be up for it. We'd also get a few more million for transfers which given our financial situation is probably a good thing.

I doubt we think we've found his replacement otherwise we'd be agreeing a payment for him. Most likely he's competition for the soon fit again Valery(if its true we're going to sell Cedric)

Obviously the club's recruitment team know best but I can't get too excited about Kyle Walker-Peters (KWP). There are only 14 games left this season which doesn't give a new player much time to make a contribution. KWP hasn't been playing at Prem level and is said to be recovering from a hamstring injury. Cedric would be fit to be back in the team before KWP was ready and most people might think Soares is the better player. If Cedric is determined not to extend his contract, the decision comes down to money. Keeping Cedric mighty cost the club £6m, being the fee they might get if they sell him now, but they are left with a weaker defence. With the possibility of European football if the team can keep climbing the table, I'd like to see performance and results considered over and above the figures in in the accounts.

As a fan, I get a lot of pleasure out of winning games. The club's profits are nice but don't excite me in the same way.

I doubt we think we've found his replacement otherwise we'd be agreeing a payment for him. Most likely he's competition for the soon fit again Valery(if its true we're going to sell Cedric)
Well then that's pretty dumb if it's what we end up doing but even so we aren't getting relegated and maybe soares really wants to leave.

West Ham sign a Czech midfielder: West Ham to sign Tomas Soucek for £13m from Slavia Prague - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51285153

In the story, it also says they've submitted a bid for a player believed to be a right-back. Surely not going to be pipped to KWP at the last as believe they were interested too?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wise words but we seem to see short term cash before even looking at the wider picture. Hence going into the season with just Bertrand at LB. We ride our luck and never seem to learn. Did the same after selling the whole squad to Liverpool and getting away with it. Would be great to get back to the days of being ambitious and not taking outrageous risks for the sake of a quick buck. For supposedly intelligent billionaires, it's actually a wiser method to adopt. Mind boggling short sighted behaviour.

I don't remember selling the whole squad to LIverpool. Doing that by choice would indeed be mind boggling but somehow, I missed that. I do recall that some players forced a move by refusing contract extensions or failing to perform for the club. Sadly, the days of slavery, when players were the property of the club and could be forced to play were ended by Jimmy Hill. What was he thinking about....?

If there is anything in the report about Mohamed Salisu, the Real Valladolid CB, that would be interesting. It's the kind off unexpected signing we've sometimes seen before. Would strengthen the options in the back and free up Vestergaard if the Arse really do want him. As for Cedric, I'll be quite happy if we stick with him, with Walker-Peters as cover. As a fan, i'm more interested in a stronger squad than a stronger bank balance. I'd still like to see Cedric offered a deal to get him change his mind about leaving but if he's determined to move on, it's his decision.

And to be honest, we don'y currently need anyone else.

That said, this coming summer really needs to be the window of change that has been at least 4 windows in the making!

Unfortunately this summer could be a summer of change but not in the way we hoped, with Ralph, PEH, JWP, Ings, McArthy, Stevens and maybe a couple of others significantly raising their profiles during our revival I wouldn't be surprised if they attract much better offers.

Agree. Apart from the Ings' goals - the form and structure of having Bertrand and Cedric playing regularly in their right positions has been a huge factor in the improvement of the past two months.

Agree. Apart from the Ings' goals - the form and structure of having Bertrand and Cedric playing regularly in their right positions has been a huge factor in the improvement of the past two months.

And more so Armstrong returning to the team I would argue.

Regarding KWP, his decision to come here is likely to be based on being a first choice starter (why warm the bench at SMS when you can do that at Spuds?) and I think that’s what has effectively allowed the release of Cédric early. Personally I feel there is a risk that he’s not at the same standard as Cédric, but who knows...he may be a player that reacts well to Ralph and becomes a star for us ala VVD? Think the squad does need some fresh blood now.

West Ham sign a Czech midfielder: West Ham to sign Tomas Soucek for £13m from Slavia Prague - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51285153

In the story, it also says they've submitted a bid for a player believed to be a right-back. Surely not going to be pipped to KWP at the last as believe they were interested too?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Not according to The Daily Heil

West Ham have begun talks with RB Salzburg for 22-year-old Danish right-back Rasmus Kristensen. (Mail)

A prem side staying up whilst spending nothing must be an owners dream. Manager I feel sorry for.

Wish he’d hurry up and sell. Pretty obvious Gao is not investing in order to make more profit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk