January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

At the start of this window, I feared that our improvement in form would result in the club putting back attempts to improve the squad at Ralph's disposal again and it looks like that is going to be the case.

It seems as long as Gao and the board are confident we have enough to get our 16th/17th place spot in the league they are not going to sanction spending money unnecessarily (in their view).

Pretty short sighted and complacent in my opinion. Ralph is performing minor miracles with what he has at the moment, but as great as our current form is, surely noone is under any illusions that improvements must be made to our squad if we are to progress longer term? I think we have been fortunate this season so far with injuries but that will not last forever and looking at how threadbare we are in terms of quality in defence and midfield, just a few injuries in vulnerable positions are likely to affect us badly.

I accept that January is not the easiest time to get players in, but I think Ralph would have expectations that he would be backed with some help by the club and if that doesn't happen, it's only a matter of time before he will be off to a club who will give him backing to bring in the players he needs (no matter what he may say in public).

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

It sounds like the preferred candidate will not be available until the summer. As for new players, due to recent improvement in results and form, do you think that perhaps we don’t need to panic now? We all know that it is harder and more expensive to recruit in January. If Ralph has decided that he thinks this squad is ok until summer, better to wait until then instead of possibly getting stuck with more average players.

Ralph said only a couple of weeks ago the squad was unbalanced. A teenage left back playing okay in what was little more than a training game doesn’t change that. Cedric is leaving, Bertrand wants too and we only an injury or red card away from having to play vestergaard again so I’m not really sure what’s changed other than a few good results, our run won’t go in forever.

^I'm inclined to go with this.^

I'm no body language expert but he appeared genuine when he said there's a danger of blocking the development paths of Vokins and Valery if we get someone in and that he's now more inclined to think that they can provide decent back up sooner than he thought they'd be able to. He certainly didn't seem hacked off in any way.

Good if a proper full back comes in and blocks their development. They are both cr*p and miles from PL level. Certainly for Valery anyway. He was dropped. Simple as that. He may have coincidentally been ill but he was dropped because of his array of p*ss poor performances, giving the ball away, never tracking his man and never being able to mark a single person without gifting them a goal or 2. Besides, these comments totally contradict what Ralph has said previously.

Ralph may have seemed sincere but have you ever heard of media training and putting on a facade and a false front in front of a crowd?!

What a surprise. Lower, lower, lower...

Where is Matt Crocker?

Are they all waiting for the transfer window to finish? I suspect so.

This club is an absolute joke. A farce under this joke, disingenuous chairman and joke ownership. Call it an overreaction (as the window is not yet over) but, on recent history, consider how many times the club use this pretext and insidious reporting tactic strategically and get away with it? Every transfer window it seems.

Nothing makes any coherent sense from this club and the shape shifting, prevaricating, pathetic PR has misled us through every single transfer window under Gao. I accept there are sensitive matters that you have to keep private and not give away to competitors but there is a difference between doing that and taking the absolute p*ss out of the fans and manager.

This ‘regime’ bombard us with contradicting stories and constantly lower expectations at every stage like some lying, intelligence insulting, low-budget social engineering experiment and what upsets me most is, some of you accept that as okay. Never has an ownership of Southampton seemingly (or allegedly) lied as much as the xxclub seem to right now and, worst of all, not invested a single fookin’ penny. Get this clown out of our club, now. Gao makes Lowe or Askham look like Montgomery Brewster.

Valery and a virus is insulting to our intelligence. He was an absolute crock of sh*t & dropped. Now he is suddenly good enough again. If that is our standards & level we deem acceptable, we deserve to be in the championship or League 1. He was dropped because he was awful against Leicester and couldn’t mark a chalkboard. Then, may have got ill but who hasn’t this winter? Now the club appear to be bare faced lying, purporting Valery has been ill for two months. I don’t think so. Utter p* ss take. Take that reaction as strangely mad.

After the Leicester loss the club via the telegraph issued a statement saying the club would allow the manager to rebuild the squad, starting in January where the most pressing issues of full back and Centre back would be addressed. They also said a new DOF and senior recruitment person would be in place before then. Failed on every count so far.

It’s as if though Gao’s dynasty make outlandish claims to appease the fans and then decrease the pledge in each article, bringing any assurance of squad strengthening (or backroom staff) down and down until it reaches zero.

Then they think we should be cool with their transparent shape shifting media games and misinformation. I can’t abide liars. Especially wealthy ones deceiving honest, hard-working people. We have enough of that on our political landscape, I don’t expect nor want that in our sporting arenas as well.

Ralph said only a couple of weeks ago the squad was unbalanced. A teenage left back playing okay in what was little more than a training game doesn’t change that. Cedric is leaving, Bertrand wants too and we only an injury or red card away from having to play vestergaard again so I’m not really sure what’s changed other than a few good results, our run won’t go in forever.

Absolutely. It has been made reasonably clear that Ralph is looking at full back and centre half positions being strengthened - last time I looked we have two FBs so I think most would think it not unreasonable to believe we’re looking for 2-3 players rather than the possible one. Even if it were two and we ignored the risk of Ings getting nobbled, you can’t help but feel we’re going for the cheap option once again, meaning no lessons learned.

This YouTube link of Adam Curtis explains how modern media works and is very much similar to much of the misleading and dishonest dialogue we now suffer in matters relating to Southampton FC

ItÂ’s strange this style of consistently inaccurate reporting didnÂ’t really happen to this scale three years ago so itÂ’s definitely a recent thing. Draw your own conclusions from that.

This Adam Curtis link may not be football related but it should make sense to the more pensive board members. Any familiarity in this clip (the Vladislav Surkov ref) to the clubÂ’s current media campaign and similar patterns of misinformation, prevaricating and lying as witnessed in recent political events like brexit and the referendum along with every Saints transfer window under Gao?

Absolutely. It has been made reasonably clear that Ralph is looking at full back and centre half positions being strengthened - last time I looked we have two FBs so I think most would think it not unreasonable to believe weÂ’re looking for 2-3 players rather than the possible one. Even if it were two and we ignored the risk of Ings getting nobbled, you canÂ’t help but feel weÂ’re going for the cheap option once again, meaning no lessons learned.

They never, never learn. Even before GaoÂ’s unwelcome arrival, the board pushed their luck with two successive transfer windows of selling all the top talent which was pretty disgraceful and unprecedented in quantity and fees for the PL. That was the beginning of our demise (post Markus and Cortese). It was a sad time for the Liebherr family and also for the club. When Markus died, I had no idea what was in store for us. As big a fall from grace you can get in the PL (aside from winning the league & immediately being relegated the next season). That was also the time when competency, ambition, honesty and integrity in our club died. We never heed warnings. We never seem to learn (we make do, often by the skin of our teeth) and the common denominator is, Kat Liebherr, whom was here and at times in control throughout this significant demise.

I think much of my previous criticism of the board is proving to be fair & tangible. This new board seem to set the expectations high and bring them down, stage by stage, until we are now talking about not even signing anyone (yet again), contrary to what Ralph said prior to and during this window, even a few days previously. How much do they think the fans will take? IÂ’m sure they know and they are closely monitoring this along with the Daily Echo.

Glazing over everything else and forgetting every criticism I mentioned, does anyone not feel concerned that not getting to the end of the season and surviving is the issue? Not signing anyone in key positions is the issue? (a massively stupid risk if one key injury at CF, RB, LB occurs. It could totally uproot our short-term recovery). Constantly letting the fans down is an issue BUT bigger still is the consistent letting down of our manager (some may argue the point but I think it’s clear he’s had certain promises made hence why he made comments to the press and back tracked & this is yet another of those many moments). Even the most patient of people, Ralph Hasenhütl, has limits and the poor guy is under the immense pressure of the PL.

Well, patience isnÂ’t finite. Any other club must be surely easier than this poisoned chalice. Ralph has his hands tied behind his back, half of his squad have been sold or loaned out and I believe he was brought to the club under a false pretence. Rohl got our while he could. If I were Ralph, I would take the first semi decent offer elsewhere before a key injury or 2 sends us crashing back down into the relegation zone and he loses face as a result of a seemingly incompetent and disingenuous board full of lying & manipulative t*ssers who seemingly do not back their manager.

Any PL or upper tier championship club coming forward with a small transfer budget and the promise of backing is surely better than this charade? A faceless and disinterested, prevaricating ex copper who sold his business partner out to be executed to save his own skin. An asset stripping owner who has not invested a penny in the club and, coincidentally of course, the media seem to now run a series of broken promises or false platitudes, possibly emanating from the clouds above Hangzhou, while staff mumble an incomprehensible script of conflicting & contradictory assurances that never come to fruition. We may as well be run by Lou Pearlman.

If theyÂ’re not careful, Ralph will walk and then will be in a whole world of sh*t. Southampton FC must surely be the most negligent and complacent board in the Premier League? They never learn by their mistakes (as a third relegation battle suggests) and they push their luck to the absolute limit. If it wasnÂ’t for being injury free and VAR, I dread to think.

We shouldnÂ’t accept this deceit and we shouldnÂ’t allow our standards to slip this low. A good run of results over Christmas has come to bite us on the arse in this transfer window. I knew this would happen once we started winning but I had hoped, to buck the trend, our owners and board would not be such utter ****s this time. My optimism was seemingly misplaced. #GaoOut

I knew this would happen once we started winning but I had hoped, to buck the trend, our owners and board would not be such utter ****s this time. My optimism was seemingly misplaced. #GaoOut

I don't dispute that the media spins the crap out of the smallest detail, made worse by the blogs written by people with no journalistic ethics looking for clicks.

However, I do think people oversimplify transfers. There are so many more factors than wanting a player.

The board is but one factor (willingness to pay), selling club (willing to sell), other club (selling a replacement to selling club), player / players wife wanting to move, player thinking he'll be first choice (hard in a settled team), unsettling the dynamic of the team... Etc. Etc.

Personally I don't think the board is much better or worse than any other club, they're all out (bar sheiks and Russian mafia) to make money.

After the Leicester loss the club via the telegraph issued a statement saying the club would allow the manager to rebuild the squad, starting in January where the most pressing issues of full back and Centre back would be addressed. They also said a new DOF and senior recruitment person would be in place before then. Failed on every count so far.

This. Let’s hope that Ralph genuinely supports the lowering (changing) expectations message coming out of the club.

Absolutely. It has been made reasonably clear that Ralph is looking at full back and centre half positions being strengthened - last time I looked we have two FBs so I think most would think it not unreasonable to believe we’re looking for 2-3 players rather than the possible one. Even if it were two and we ignored the risk of Ings getting nobbled, you can’t help but feel we’re going for the cheap option once again, meaning no lessons learned.

has been the case since the summer. Especially LB. Ralph has said as such.....yet here we are, fans starting to back the club again and say what is the rush...

no wonder SFC get away with it when the polite applause starts

Could be a case of we have to shift some to bring some in just like last summer.

We have 28 Players in the first team according to the official website and thats not including senior players out on loan. Its a bloated squad.

Aside from CBs, it is not a bloated squad. We are thin in depth and quality. Unless they have promoted up more of the youth.

And it was exactly the same last year, the exact same newspaper after a few bad results reported in their usual matter of fact way big talk of a restructure, new players coming in, Paul Mitchell muted for a return as director of football. Yet absolutely nothing happened. It's all wearing a bit thin now.

I don't dispute that the media spins the crap out of the smallest detail, made worse by the blogs written by people with no journalistic ethics looking for clicks.

However, I do think people oversimplify transfers. There are so many more factors than wanting a player.

The board is but one factor (willingness to pay), selling club (willing to sell), other club (selling a replacement to selling club), player / players wife wanting to move, player thinking he'll be first choice (hard in a settled team), unsettling the dynamic of the team... Etc. Etc.

Personally I don't think the board is much better or worse than any other club, they're all out (bar sheiks and Russian mafia) to make money.

I think you're giving them too much credit. They start every window with one press impetus, then totally change and lower it stage by stage. I don't think it's connected to the complexity and obvious variables involved with the actual transfers themselves. We managed fairly well under our last ownership where Markus and Cortese just identified their target, no media games, then acquired who they needed. Can you remember back a few years? It was never the charade it is now and nothing like this.

Are you saying you believe the massive change in tact (from signing "high energy defenders, full backs and a CB, DOF, Player Trading Expert...." to "funds are available" to "possibly may sign A player" is due to the club finding it hard to land their targets? Perhaps it is but if they offered up the money, I doubt they'd struggle. If money is available and Ralph desperately wants full backs, we would have some by now. Gao has likely not signed off anything (has he ever?!) and Ralph has had to save face and choose a different excuse so as not to look like a nugget. It's less than convincing than a 20 year old car salesman.

Absolutely. There is a perception that because we don't sign a player that we fans have been let down/been lied to/the club is shifting position etc. Buying players ain't like buying a mop on amazon. It's highly possible that we've been unable to get deals over the line for whatever reasons and are stating publicly that we're happy with what we have...any other message makes us a hostage to fortune if we go into the market.

And it was exactly the same last year, the exact same newspaper after a few bad results reported in their usual matter of fact way big talk of a restructure, new players coming in, Paul Mitchell muted for a return as director of football. Yet absolutely nothing happened. It's all wearing a bit thin now.

Well said and a sentiment shared. I just get particularly 'tested' by b*llsh*tters and game playing spin and our club are the epitome of that and so clearly taking the pee with this prevaricating, carrot dangling yet people continue to make excuses for them which is way more than the owners deserve. They have bought a football club, been largely mute or indirectly lied from the outset and haven't invested a penny...other than in marketing and PR. Making do and the absolutely bare minimum will lead us to relegation and no full backs and defensive back up could easily facilitate relegation

has been the case since the summer. Especially LB. Ralph has said as such.....yet here we are, fans starting to back the club again and say what is the rush...

no wonder SFC get away with it when the polite applause starts

I mean why would the club plant stories in the media and then end up not signing anyone? We were told by posters on here that that was a pointless thing to do, that it doesn't work, that posters don't jump to the defence of the club.

Absolutely. There is a perception that because we don't sign a player that we fans have been let down/been lied to/the club is shifting position etc. Buying players ain't like buying a mop on amazon. It's highly possible that we've been unable to get deals over the line for whatever reasons and are stating publicly that we're happy with what we have...any other message makes us a hostage to fortune if we go into the market.
That isn't the perception.

That isn't the perception.

It may not be yours, but having read this forum for years, that's the way it comes across that many think. The point is that we may be in the market, and may have been quoted daft wages, fees etc so understandably have not pursued players, and will then seek to give the impression that we're OK with what we have. That's a media manipulation that I do buy into, and agree with.

It may not be yours, but having read this forum for years, that's the way it comes across that many think. The point is that we may be in the market, and may have been quoted daft wages, fees etc so understandably have not pursued players, and will then seek to give the impression that we're OK with what we have. That's a media manipulation that I do buy into, and agree with.

probably the case last summer. Ralph wanted (expected) a Left Back to sign.........We may never again sign more than the odd decent player

It may be worth mentioning that the November article also mentioned getting a "Player Trading Expert" in as well as Crocker.

So far Crocker still hasn't started his role, we dont know when he's starting his role, and we know absolutely zero about what is happening in the background.

It may be worth mentioning that the November article also mentioned getting a "Player Trading Expert" in as well as Crocker.

So far Crocker still hasn't started his role, we dont know when he's starting his role, and we know absolutely zero about what is happening in the background.

yeah but, the club are trying their best so why don't you (we) all be quiet.

Having also read this forum for years, I disagree. The majority are talking about a pattern that has been repeated for a number of windows - particularly January- where we release stories to the same select journalists about signing and then during the window itself we dampen expectations and make public the fact that we are happy with what we have. You then get the usual apologists amongst the fan base happy to white Knight for the club and its repeated the next season safe in the knowledge that the "eggs" of the world are too dumb to notice. For some reason you consider this version of events to be untrue and that the stories are invented by the same journalists every time and they just so happen to release their stories when the club need some positive pr. Weird that the last one came out after the Leicester 9-0, I wonder why that is?

That's the article. The relevant source, for me, is Ralph. He clearly said that he wanted and expected full backs. He's now changed his tune. Either financial support ain't there for that, he's suddenly concluded that Vokins is good enough and Valery has made a miraculous recovery, or as I've said above sellers/players/agents are taking the **** and we're playing it cool. Personally I think it's the last one - let's see where we are when the window shuts.

Having also read this forum for years, I disagree. The majority are talking about a pattern that has been repeated for a number of windows - particularly January- where we release stories to the same select journalists about signing and then during the window itself we dampen expectations and make public the fact that we are happy with what we have. You then get the usual apologists amongst the fan base happy to white Knight for the club and its repeated the next season safe in the knowledge that the "eggs" of the world are too dumb to notice. For some reason you consider this version of events to be untrue and that the stories are invented by the same journalists every time and they just so happen to release their stories when the club need some positive pr. Weird that the last one came out after the Leicester 9-0, I wonder why that is?

I'm not getting back into another boring debate about whether everything about us in the telegraph comes from the club. Try to focus on what our manager has said, and then trying to apply some logic as to why he may be saying it.

That's the article. The relevant source, for me, is Ralph. He clearly said that he wanted and expected full backs. He's now changed his tune. Either financial support ain't there for that, he's suddenly concluded that Vokins is good enough and Valery has made a miraculous recovery, or as I've said above sellers/players/agents are taking the **** and we're playing it cool. Personally I think it's the last one - let's see where we are when the window shuts.
Why did the article talking about all these acquisitions get released so soon after the 9-0 loss do you think?

I'm not getting back into another boring debate about whether everything about us in the telegraph comes from the club. Try to focus on what our manager has said, and then trying to apply some logic as to why he may be saying it.
What prompted a journalist that has released a lot of saints stories to release their positive story about January transfer dealings and other acquisitions immediately after our 9-0 loss? Coincidence?

Why did the article talking about all these acquisitions get released so soon after the 9-0 loss do you think?

we lost by 9 on 25th October

The article ( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/26/southampton-appoint-fa-development-chief-matt-crocker-asnew/ ) was 26th November.

and it actually says

"Southampton are still also intending to appoint a specialist in player trading, although Ralph Hasenhuttl will be limited in his January budget and will largely need to turn Southampton’s season around with his existing squad. Despite an encouraging draw at Arsenal on Saturday, Southampton have yet to win at home in the Premier League this season and are currently second from bottom of the table ahead now of a sequence of fixtures against other struggling teams."

You're tedious, other posters don't want another debate about newspaper articles and who's theory is correct. The most recent and indisputable as to origin transfer info comes from Ralph. I'm interested in that, not what the telegraph wrote 2 months ago.

You're tedious, other posters don't want another debate about newspaper articles and who's theory is correct. The most recent and indisputable as to origin transfer info comes from Ralph. I'm interested in that, not what the telegraph wrote 2 months ago.
Don't worry, you can trot out the same lines next year when we get another article or two from the same journalists saying similar things when the club needs some pr.

I made the mistake of coming here looking for transfer news and found usual bores being boring. Lesson learned.

You don't think that what Ralph said yesterday about transfers is relevant in a transfer window thread?

I'm sure the truth is somewhere between those reasonable points and Gordon Mockles' lengthy fulminations. The recent pick up has obviously influenced decisions, and so it should. No point in getting a second choice now if we can get our first choice in the summer. I think after the summer window it'll be far clearer, as long as we don't have injuries and a downturn in the rest of the season. If we did go down Gao would get the muck from his milch cow full in the face, and no chance of selling. At least I think they've got the decision right not to sack Hassenhutl, but they also have to support him or risk losing yet another manager, but this time one we want to keep.

You don't think that what Ralph said yesterday about transfers is relevant in a transfer window thread?

I think that illustrates my point. Genuine transfer news gets lost among the bores boring on about what the club may have said to a journalist months ago, why they may have done it, the state of the club, the state of the owners, how everything is awful, how nobody can be trusted and very, very little actual transfer news.

This may be what most people want; I may be in a minority. But I would like to come here to read news about prospective signings, how likely they are and what they could do for us. But if people want to have the same, tedious circular arguments then good luck to them.

We're great at playing it cool aren't we. If there is one thing we've learnt over the last three years is that no one bullies us when it comes to signing players. We wont pay over the odds and we do deals on our terms when we want it a cool and ruthless way. It's why we've been able to sign the likes of Carillo, Vestergaard and Elyanoussi for such bargain fees and turn our noses up at the likes of Qunicey Promes, Harry McGuire and James Maddison

We're great at playing it cool aren't we. If there is one thing we've learnt over the last three years is that no one bullies us when it comes to signing players. We wont pay over the odds and we do deals on our terms when we want it a cool and ruthless way. It's why we've been able to sign the likes of Carillo, Vestergaard and Elyanoussi for such bargain fees and turn our noses up at the likes of Qunicey Promes, Harry McGuire and James Maddison

we needed defensive reinforcements. we played it cool and brought in Danso

no other club is ice cold like that

Del, you're better that and are one of the posters who understands the business. I'm not interested in previous windows and players that we didn't sign - there's a million reasons why players choose other clubs and the past is the past. The current current transfer window is all that is relevant at the minute so I'll focus on current transfer information definitely coming from the club, ie Ralph's recent comments re signing full backs and yesterdays clear change of position. His body language and tone of voice did not suggest that he was annoyed. We agree that he clearly said that he wanted and expected full backs. He's now changed his tune. Either financial support ain't there for that; or he's suddenly concluded that Vokins is good enough and Valery has made a miraculous recovery; or as sellers/players/agents are taking the p1ss so we're playing it cool/not playing ball.

Which of those 3 is it? If not what is it?

And to the likes of Itchen, this is a transfer WINDOW not RUMOURS thread so discussing what we're doing//not doing transfer wise and why during the transfer window is the topic. I agree though, that past windows are of no relevance to the here and now.

Del, you're better that and are one of the posters who understands the business. I'm not interested in previous windows and players that we didn't sign - there's a million reasons why players choose other clubs and the past is the past. The current current transfer window is all that is relevant at the minute so I'll focus on current transfer information definitely coming from the club, ie Ralph's recent comments re signing full backs and yesterdays clear change of position. His body language and tone of voice did not suggest that he was annoyed. We agree that he clearly said that he wanted and expected full backs. He's now changed his tune. Either financial support ain't there for that; or he's suddenly concluded that Vokins is good enough and Valery has made a miraculous recovery; or as sellers/players/agents are taking the p1ss so we're playing it cool/not playing ball.

Which of those 3 is it? If not what is it?

And to the likes of Itchen, this is a transfer WINDOW not RUMOURS thread so discussing what we're doing//not doing transfer wise and why during the transfer window is the topic. I agree though, that past windows are of no relevance to the here and now.

This is dopey even by your standards. Of course, past windows are relevant, especially as the same ownership/personnel are in place. They shine light on patterns or trends that might explain what’s going on in the here and now.

This is dopey even by your standards. Of course, past windows are relevant, especially as the same ownership/personnel are in the place. They shine light on patterns or trends that might explain what’s going on in the here and now.

Behave. So the link between not signing Promes and now not signing any full backs is what?

I didn’t mention Promes or suggest extrapolating from a single datapoint. Stop embarrassing yourself pal.

Ok, I'll broaden the question. If you have the ability to answer questions rather than just being pompous, please explain the link between past transfer windows and us now not signing full backs this window?

Egg is demonstrating a fine example of 'classic SaintsWeb' behaviour.

Have a strong opinion on a particular topic and when everyone is throwing evidence at you to highlight that your point is weak, you just DIG IN further.

classic.

(we have all been there)