January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Two things there.

1) I'm not doubting for a moment we feed 'information' to the Telegraph but that doesn't mean that they don't a) Come up with their own stories and rumours without reference to the club or b) Sex up the 'news' we do feed them with some extra details to sell papers.

2) The stories about 'looking to strengthen... full back and CB are a priority' are deliberately vague and ambiguous. It's just like that Brexit bus. It gives two related pieces of information and allows readers to jump to their own fanciful conclusions. I've yet to see any statement from Saints or the Telegraph saying, "We will sign two full backs and a CB in January."

You couldn't have looked very hard, they are in that very same article in the Telegraph

"Currently in 18th place in January they will address the most pressing problems that they have at full-back and centre-back. There is an acceptance that the club do not have the right profile of player in every position to suit Hasenhuttl's pressing-style game."

You couldn't have looked very hard, they are in that very same article in the Telegraph

"Currently in 18th place in January they will address the most pressing problems that they have at full-back and centre-back. There is an acceptance that the club do not have the right profile of player in every position to suit Hasenhuttl's pressing-style game."

Yep, I saw exactly what they said. They will address it, just means, "we'll have a look and see." Might mean a signing, might be a loan, might be a current player improving and stepping up.

Yep, I saw exactly what they said. They will address it, just means, "we'll have a look and see." Might mean a signing, might be a loan, might be a current player improving and stepping up.

If you read that article and see think that the club saing that publicly that they back the manager and we don't have the players to play the way he wants and will address the most pressing problems at centre back and full back in January but that just means "We'll see, might be, perhaps" etc then I cant help you any further im afraid.

Correct. People are reading far too much into an article, both in terms of interpretation and origin. I refer back to Ralph comments yesterday which were perfectly clear.

Jeez. For the last time. An article in the telegraph is not a press release. Has it occurred to you that when a telegraph article does not bear fruit it's because it's an inaccurate newspaper article rather than something that's "meant" to be happening?
Communication departments of big corporations up and down the land would be high fiving themselves reading this.

The only people who ever get anything wrong are the newspapers.

Businesses don't ever make promises they can't deliver, it's just those evil journalists, you know, making it all up.

Absolute mug.

Correct. People are reading far too much into an article, both in terms of interpretation and origin. I refer back to Ralph comments yesterday which were perfectly clear.

He also said this a few weeks ago, which was perfectly clear. Not sure what's changed.

“The window in the summer wasn’t perfect. It’s absolutely clear that we have to do something in the full back position because even now we have one out,” Hasenhuttl told a news conference on Thursday.

“We only have Ryan Bertrand and Cedric Soares in these two positions, so this is definitely a position we’re looking for... We’ll do something.”

Communication departments of big corporations up and down the land would be high fiving themselves reading this.

The only people who ever get anything wrong are the newspapers.

Businesses don't ever make promises they can't deliver, it's just those evil journalists, you know, making it all up.

Absolute mug.

Direct quotes from the manager, absolute categorical statements via the clubs media source yet people are "reading too much into it" and what they really meant was "maybe"

Last weeks comment

“We’re available in the market and we’re searching for, particularly, full-backs as a result of we all know that we now have not that many choices in the meanwhile,” Hasenhuttl stated.

“We’ve got Ryan [bertrand] – not likely another for him. And we are also lacking younger [Yann] Valery on the best facet, we now have not that many options.

“This will probably be positively a place the place we do one thing within the winter break.

Just meant we might have a look though...…

He also said this a few weeks ago, which was perfectly clear. Not sure what's changed.

“The window in the summer wasn’t perfect. It’s absolutely clear that we have to do something in the full back position because even now we have one out,” Hasenhuttl told a news conference on Thursday.

“We only have Ryan Bertrand and Cedric Soares in these two positions, so this is definitely a position we’re looking for... We’ll do something.”

So no actually promises of signing again then. I don't see how this is so hard to understand. It's politics 101, vague ambiguous statements which set readers off down a path and let them jog along to their own conclusions. Neither the club nor the Telegraph have explicitly said, "Saints will sign three defenders in January."

So no actually promises of signing again then. I don't see how this is so hard to understand. It's politics 101, vague ambiguous statements which set readers off down a path and let them jog along to their own conclusions. Neither the club nor the Telegraph have explicitly said, "Saints will sign three defenders in January."

I think it's you that's struggling my friend. The clubs media friends and the Manager himself have repeatedly said over a period of months we will and have to do something yet you and Egg are putting it down to people reading too much into it, that maybe we'll have look. I realise you've put yourself into a corner by making out they are saying something else, but they really aren't.

Why do you understand why we are sticking with Valery? Not many in the stands do. He can't defend, track, mark or tackle.

Because it's clear that Cedric is first choice, and has been performing much better since he's been getting a run in the team. He's also not often injured, which means Valery is unlikely to need to be used much between now and the end of the season. And if he is? Well he showed last season that he has the ability to fill in. Maybe his poor performances this season were illness related? Either way if Ralph feels Valery and Vokins are good enough, we probably won't be seeing a full back incoming. Mistake? Perhaps if we do lose Cedric or Bertrand to injury but we will see. Me wanting a first choice right back to come in is in the knowledge that we lose Cedric in the summer, then we can bed him in and see what he has to offer for the rest of this season - if we do that, then it won't matter that Valery is fit or not.

Apparently we are considering Romeu to Celta Vigo. Very sad about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too would be sad to see him go, I think he's a good player and we would almost definitely need another central midfielder to come in unless we have some brave faith in Smallbone and Slattery. I hope this is another one that doesn't happen until the summer.

I think it's you that's struggling my friend. The clubs media friends and the Manager himself have repeatedly said over a period of months we will and have to do something yet you and Egg are putting it down to people reading too much into it, that maybe we'll have look. I realise you've put yourself into a corner by making out they are saying something else, but they really aren't.

:lol:

If you really can't see the difference between, "We will/have to do something," and "we will sign three defenders in January," then I can't help YOU.

I don't need help, thank you very much. I've seen enough bullsh*t promises from politicians to know that article was an open ended promise from day one. I never believed we'd sign three defenders then, I don't believe it now and more fool anyone who did.

I'm not some gullible mug who believes everything the club tells me, quite the opposite. I pretty much ignore what's in the press and on twitter. How frequently I attend games and therefore hand over my money depends on what we're doing on the pitch. If we sign nobody in January, then the club will live and die by their actions. If we start shipping 4 goals in every home game again, I'll stop going.

Over and out. :)

'It's absolutely clear that we have to do something in the full back position'

When asked how important the window is to his side, Hasenhuttl replied: "Absolutely important. We must see that we get some new players in. We know this. The summer window was not perfect for us.

"It is absolutely clear that we must do something with the full-back positions. This is definitely a position we're looking at for the moment and we will do something."

"I would like to make transfers and the sooner we can get somebody the better it is," he said.

"We've spoken about the full-back positions we have at the moment – Cedric Soares and Ryan Bertrand and that's it. So for two positions two players.

“Absolutely important. We must see that we get some new players in. We know this. The summer window was not perfect for us."

All direct quotes from the manager in the last month, but what he really meant was we'll have a look, jesus wept.

If your minimum requirement is a football manager saying they formally and unequivocally promise to do something then god help us all.

Absolutely mental beyond belief.

:lol:

If you really can't see the difference between, "We will/have to do something," and "we will sign three defenders in January," then I can't help YOU.

I don't need help, thank you very much. I've seen enough bullsh*t promises from politicians to know that article was an open ended promise from day one. I never believed we'd sign three defenders then, I don't believe it now and more fool anyone who did.

I'm not some gullible mug who believes everything the club tells me, quite the opposite. I pretty much ignore what's in the press and on twitter. How frequently I attend games and therefore hand over my money depends on what we're doing on the pitch. If we sign nobody in January, then the club will live and die by their actions. If we start shipping 4 goals in every home game again, I'll stop going.

Over and out. :)

Sorry mate but it's getting embarrassing, I'm just quoting what the manager has said. "absolutely clear" "We have to" "we must" "absolutely important" "We must get new players in, we know this"

You keep believing that he means we'll just take a look and see :lol:

Absolutely. There is a perception that because we don't sign a player that we fans have been let down/been lied to/the club is shifting position etc. Buying players ain't like buying a mop on amazon. It's highly possible that we've been unable to get deals over the line for whatever reasons and are stating publicly that we're happy with what we have...any other message makes us a hostage to fortune if we go into the market.

Hard to see the wood or the trees when you have your eyes tightly clenched shut.

I can’t wait to see our new defender, Vileda, at LB when Bertrand is injured. He may trip attackers or actually tackle them if left unattended on the floor. At least an improvement on Valery’s marking or Vestergaard’s Maasai Mara style leaping!!

Hey! Let’s just make excuses for possibly our worst ever owner. Let’s not sign any players. Save them money & maybe even have a whip around. Let’s have no ambition. Let’s make ridiculous justifications and appeasement and let’s get relegated!!

F**k me, some of the low standards and zero ambition on here is just weird and I get stick for pointing out the obvious. Mind boggling. What’s funny is that someone else makes a contrary comment and you latch onto it with both hands. It’s embarrassing and beyond logic. You do realise the Premier League is a football competition and the teams strive to assemble the best team they can to try to score more goals than the opposition (whilst defending opposition attacks) and get as many points as they can manage over a season, competing to win the league?! or possibly even win a cup?

This isn’t the dirty dozen when you are assembling a group of reprobates and losers. Our club isn’t the Event Horizon either. We don’t want another trip into utter chaos. We’ve been there and we’ve done that and it’s not that much fun. I’d like to remain where we are and compete like we did 4 or 5 years ago or is that unrealistic and really stupid of me to want so much? Is that my inherent negativity making me so intolerant of this absolute clusterf*ck management?!

No ones answered the question. Where is Matt Crocker? I joked we are waiting till after the transfer window but I don’t think that is far from the truth. Is he still with the FA?

Sorry mate but it's getting embarrassing, I'm just quoting what the manager has said. "absolutely clear" "We have to" "we must" "absolutely important" "We must get new players in, we know this"

You keep believing that he means we'll just take a look and see :lol:

You reluctantly seen your tedious Instagram influencers posting up all sorts of sell-out cr*p that you don’t wanna see. Well, here we have the fan forum influencers. Talking sh*t since 1996. :lol::lol:

You don't get stick for pointing out the obvious.

You get stick for constantly being negative and for being rude to people who don't share your obvious nasty critical streak. You also get stick for your obvious hatred for an owner you know nothing about and have never met.

Matt Crocker had to give notice to the FA and when that notice period ends he will begin work at Southampton FC.

You actually write very well but the problem is with what you write. People just get tired of an endless stream of bitterness.

You are one very sad individual if that is all you have to contribute.

If your minimum requirement is a football manager saying they formally and unequivocally promise to do something then god help us all.

Absolutely mental beyond belief.

I’ve heard some crazy arguments in my life but some of these people, contesting very valid points, is absolutely laughable and embarrassing. It’s also stranger as I have never witnessed fans (face to face) sharing some of these outlandish views.

The manager is hardly going to do a boy scout or Benny Hill salute and say “I promised to sign...”, are they? Where did you learn to debate or argue, the wide-awake club?

You get stick for constantly being negative and for being rude to people who don't share your obvious nasty critical streak. You also get stick for your obvious hatred for an owner you know nothing about and have never met.

Matt Crocker had to give notice to the FA and when that notice period ends he will begin work at Southampton FC.

You actually write very well but the problem is with what you write. People just get tired of an endless stream of bitterness.

Cheeky sod. It’s not bitterness, it’s frustration and passion but I can take stick. I would hardly say it’s a nasty streak, just strong adjectives as that’s how I write. I haven’t been overly harsh on people. In fact I would say I get worse comment back at me for just having a different opinion. Only recently have I got past the threshold of patience with prevaricating press assurances and There is a wealth of evidence online and from television interviews which the more astute forum posters have also picked up on.

I am a little more forthright than most but so are many. CB Fry can be extremely sarcastic and occasionally rude but generally he simply, he is fairly sharp & doesn’t suffer fools lightly. I’ve had a mild moan at him for being rude to me once but I certainly wouldn’t have thousands of being bitter and a sad individual which is rude

I’ve had a mild moan at him for being rude to me once but I certainly wouldn’t chastise the chap and accuse him of being bitter and a sad individual which is plain rude. I can deal with it but I’m just pointing it out.

How many fans have met the chairman? You don’t need to meet someone to criticise them. I’m aware I’m harsh on our owner but he has done nothing for the club and he hasn’t put any investment in and since he arrived (but likely taken out, can’t be proven so let’s not focus on that remark) yet we have we had a tissue of lies and misinformation and that angers me and it always will anger me. It can’t be coincidental this method of news has started since Gao took ownership and he landed us Chinese marketing/sponsorship via online media companies so make of that what you will.

I can’t abide bullsh*tters and I work in an industry of this so deal with myopic morons daily. So at the end of the day, my patience may be tested more than most but that’s understandable. Set offend you then I apologise as I like harmony believe it or not . Just take it with a pinch of salt. This is football. Not a life skills therapy talk. I would much rather contentious points and debate rather than a load of insipid, mutual agreement but everyone is different. I respect that and wouldn’t ask anyone to be any different.

You know I don’t just contribute rants and most will accept that the owner isn’t contributing well. I do sometimes go off on a tangent which I accept is not always ideal. I will try to limit it as I’ve said my bit but in the transfer window with ever diminishing assurances in the press, everyone has a right to get annoyed and that’s ok. It’s certainly not inherent negativity, it is dissatisfaction with poor standards and dishonesty and a series of socially engineered, divisive reported and inactive transfer windows & I never react well to dishonesty.

Granted, me typing this is boring even myself and people don’t need to read that. For that I apologise but I will defend myself. I will try & keep things transfer related as I do like harmony, shockingly, although - essentially - this is transfer talk (on heat! Lol) but we do prefer the juicy bits like a signing. Sadly, we haven’t seen much of that in recent years. When people used to put up rumours on here, they got shot down for being attention seekers.

Happy Friday and I will apologise for the excessively long tirades. Let’s hope we find a full back soon as, we surely must all agree, we bloody need one. However, I do not shoot people down for having a different opinion to me, many more do. I just rebuke some people down for having really stupid opinions that I don’t believe are entirely genuine, possibly having an agenda.

Peace & f**kin’ x

GM

Sorry Jordan, some people might think everything is wonderful but a few good wins don’t change the fundamental issues of the last three years or the stream of appeasement articles that come out of the club after some bad news and never deliver any of their content.

I know. So are you saying that Ralph has had the rug pulled from under him, or is it possible that he's in agreement to the club not getting its pants pulled down, or prospective signings not wanting to be back up, or something else. I've commented above about the change of position, but I think you assume that we've had the wool pulled over our eyes rather than something else. If I'm mistaken, what exactly is your point / opinion on the change of position re full backs?

I know. So are you saying that Ralph has had the rug pulled from under him, or is it possible that he's in agreement to the club not getting its pants pulled down, or prospective signings not wanting to be back up, or something else. I've commented above about the change of position, but I think you assume that we've had the wool pulled over our eyes rather than something else. If I'm mistaken, what exactly is your point / opinion on the change of position re full backs?

I find it very, very hard to believe that months of categorically saying we need to do something in the full back positions and have to sign someone have all been thrown out of the window by vokins having a good game against a terrible championship team who barely tried to get out of their half. He’s worked with him every day for over a year so knows exactly what level he is at before last Saturdays game. I would say his more recent comments are positive fan facing spin on either a failure or a lack of interesting in getting players in. I believe Ralph is very good manager and not one who is going to think our recent upturn in form has magically addressed the obvious issues in the squad that have been three for years. It’s also bleeding obvious that the club and manger have both directly said we need to do something in the transfer market this January as recently as a week ago, so those trying to pretend they aren’t saying that at all is quite simply laughable.

I find it very, very hard to believe that months of categorically saying we need to do something in the full back positions and have to sign someone have all been thrown out of the window by vokins having a good game against a terrible championship team who barely tried to get out of their half. He’s worked with him every day for over a year so knows exactly what level he is at before last Saturdays game. I would say his more recent comments are positive fan facing spin on either a failure or a lack of interesting in getting players in. I believe Ralph is very good manager and not one who is going to think our recent upturn in form has magically addressed the obvious issues in the squad that have been three for years. It’s also bleeding obvious that the club and manger have both directly said we need to do something in the transfer market this January as recently as a week ago, so those trying to pretend they aren’t saying that at all is quite simply laughable.

Nicely swerved. You're saying what you find hard to believe, not what you actually believe. I've never disputed that Ralph's position has changed, we agree on that. Where we are apart is that I think you assume that we've had the wool pulled over our eyes, with Ralph the mouthpiece. If that's what you think, we'll agree to differ. If I'm mistaken about that though, what exactly is your point / opinion on the change of position re full backs?

I think he's on the fringes so it's possible. He's got all the talent but for whatever reason is never happened for him.

Crazy to sell. Offers a lot at home when teams park the bus. Feels a bit like ‘oh crap we need to sell everything to even think about buying’ If we really have to do that, sell Redmond FFS

Nicely swerved. You're saying what you find hard to believe, not what you actually believe. I've never disputed that Ralph's position has changed, we agree on that. Where we are apart is that I think you assume that we've had the wool pulled over our eyes, with Ralph the mouthpiece. If that's what you think, we'll agree to differ. If I'm mistaken about that though, what exactly is your point / opinion on the change of position re full backs?

either the club it attempting to pull the wool over our eyes or it is spectacularly incompetent. The reason being every January transfer window is the same, we sold Van Dijk, bad news, lots of big talk, loads of proven premier league players linked, we ended up signing Carrillo and no one else we mentioned. Last year after a poor start, bad news big talk of reshuffle, talk of bringing in a new DOF, Mitchell named as one we wanted, nothing happened. This year, lose 9-0 at home, bad news, so we see talk of a new DOF and transfer expert to come in, we would sign full backs and Centre back, so far, Jack sh1t once again. You might chose to think we’re playing it cool, well given the performance in all areas of the club since January 2016 that’s certainly the wrong strategy, so either it’s incompetence or misleading us, in truth probably a bit of both.

We have proven time and time again that we don't spend good money, we don't buy early or buy well established players, that we don't buy 10% of the players we are linked to, we say untruths, change our minds, sell early and cheap. We have done this window after window, yet there are people on here who expect it to be different and get angry when it's not, have they not be paying attention.

We have proven time and time again that we don't spend good money, we don't buy early or buy well established players, that we don't buy 10% of the players we are linked to, we say untruths, change our minds, sell early and cheap. We have done this window after window, yet there are people on here who expect it to be different and get angry when it's not, have they not be paying attention.
I think it's more annoying when certain posters pretend this sort of thing isn't happening. It's incredibly predictable of course and it will probably happen again next January but just because we know it's probably going to happen doesn't mean you can't still be irritated by it.

Spot on!

Either we need to reinforce the squad as it's weak or we don't as we are ok - just don't come out with spin that we are going to do something (from the manager and CEO's own mouths - not just press) and then a week later say we're rethinking! FFS if we are run on a week by week or even month by month strategy, no wonder we are in such a mess - yes even after the recent good run, as we can just as easily go on a run of successive defeats again. Learn your lesson and just be honest with the fans - we can handle the truth!

I think it's more annoying when certain posters pretend this sort of thing isn't happening. It's incredibly predictable of course and it will probably happen again next January but just because we know it's probably going to happen doesn't mean you can't still be irritated by it.

Exactly, no one is getting angry that’s it’s not different, people are just saying it’s been the same for years. What is crazy is that there are some people pretending it isn’t.

What I can see is that as we are doing 'not bad' at the moment we won't be signing anyone. That's okay with me, as long as we don't hit trouble, as we all know January is a month to be taken to the cleaners. Our owners are more than aware of this, I'd hope. We will get through this season and go around again for the next in much the same way. I'm now pretty sure our over-lords won't see us go down, easily, but there's no great urge to push on to greater things. Just stay there or there abouts and all's well in their eyes. Not pretty but not pompey.

For me any change in transfer strategy reflects our position compared to 2 months ago. Everyone knows that the January window is a bad time to buy. Feels like we were prepared to spend if we were in trouble and needed to try and buy our way out. Now that we are in a safer position there is a reduced need to do so. Therefore less pressure so will only if it is a good deal for us.

Of course it could easily backfire as 3 or 4 poor results could easily see us back in it...

Spot on!

Either we need to reinforce the squad as it's weak or we don't as we are ok - just don't come out with spin that we are going to do something (from the manager and CEO's own mouths - not just press) and then a week later say we're rethinking! FFS if we are run on a week by week or even month by month strategy, no wonder we are in such a mess - yes even after the recent good run, as we can just as easily go on a run of successive defeats again. Learn your lesson and just be honest with the fans - we can handle the truth!

Exactly and don't release pr pieces to the papers talking about signings if the club determines we need some positive pr.

Quite clear we're not signing anyone from the change in Ralph's answers. Very annoying that they give us all the ******** about not wanting to block youth players, not wanting to sign people for the sake of it and the worst one not wanting to disrupt the squad with new signings (what???). Insulting in fact that they can't just come out and say their targets are overpriced this window and we can't afford to spend that much.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Forgetting the rights and wrongs of what's been said for a second, from a purely business point of view (no proper director of football, inflated January fees, owner possibly looking to sell) would it not be wise to wait and see how the next two games go before spending millions just to appease the fanbase?

I'd suggest if we manage, say, 4 points from the next two, we aren't realistically getting relegated. Waiting a few days before hitting the "spend" button on some expensive and unproven solution might be a sensible business decision?

Of course, who knows how Ralph would feel, but just thought I'd throw up an alternative view.

18 months left on his contract. Decisions will need to be made very soon whether we want him long term or not. Likewise, I imagine he is thinking about what he wants to do.

For me any change in transfer strategy reflects our position compared to 2 months ago. Everyone knows that the January window is a bad time to buy. Feels like we were prepared to spend if we were in trouble and needed to try and buy our way out. Now that we are in a safer position there is a reduced need to do so. Therefore less pressure so will only if it is a good deal for us.

Of course it could easily backfire as 3 or 4 poor results could easily see us back in it...

This is on the nail

I wonder if it's all down to Gao wanting to sell. He knows this is only likely if we stay in the top flight and recent results and performances mean this is now likely.

Therefore he may now feel there's no need to spend extra money, whereas a few weeks ago the idea might have been to get in a couple of players to try and keep us up and protect the sale price of the club.

Do we need a new player or two to retain our place in the Prem and secure Goa's investment? Hard to say. But if the feeling within the club is no, then obviously we wont be signing anyone, as we don't need to and that would be capital and operational expenditure we didn't budget for. SFB

I wonder if it's all down to Gao wanting to sell. He knows this is only likely if we stay in the top flight and recent results and performances mean this is now likely.

Therefore he may now feel there's no need to spend extra money, whereas a few weeks ago the idea might have been to get in a couple of players to try and keep us up and protect the sale price of the club.

no need to wonder The Cat. Without any doubt at at all, that is exactly what our transfer policy and shift in messaging is down to.

Forgetting the rights and wrongs of what's been said for a second, from a purely business point of view (no proper director of football, inflated January fees, owner possibly looking to sell) would it not be wise to wait and see how the next two games go before spending millions just to appease the fanbase?

I'd suggest if we manage, say, 4 points from the next two, we aren't realistically getting relegated. Waiting a few days before hitting the "spend" button on some expensive and unproven solution might be a sensible business decision?

Of course, who knows how Ralph would feel, but just thought I'd throw up an alternative view.

No problem if this is the strategy - but then cut out the BS spin - saying nothing is better than saying we must do something and then not doing it. Where's the promised transparency? They must think we are a bunch of mindless morons who just lap everything up!

Crazy to sell. Offers a lot at home when teams park the bus. Feels a bit like ‘oh crap we need to sell everything to even think about buying’ If we really have to do that, sell Redmond FFS

Boufal definitely has something, but Redmond is clearly the better all-round player of the two. Also Boufal only has 18 months left on his contract and there’s no way he is signing a new one, so the club might want to recoup some money.