January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

I'm not sure about this "as cover" thing, unless it is a loan. For me I think we'd be better off buying a young up and coming left back that long term can challenge Bertrand for the first team spot.

Brandon Williams and Ruben Vinagre look tremendous talents to me. Neither are going to come here, but the kind of pacey skilful players we need to look for.

Ralph seemed pretty certain yesterday that one would be done early.

Trouble is we've been here before at the start of the January window; manager wanting/hoping for player(s) to be signed early, only to be let down by whoever being unable 'to get it over the line'.

Can I ask why people are talking about Red Bull ownership like it's a genuine possibility?

I don't know where it has come from recently, but it was mentioned almost in passing on here about a month ago. As I recall it was in the form of how we might be bought from the current owner rather than even a suggestion but the name RB has since done the rounds on here and the UI. I'd be surprised if there is any substance to the rumour.

The crest would be very much the same as the other Red Bull crests with none of our branding. But yes, I must be mellowing in my old age as I'm not as bothered as I would have been 5-10 years ago

A few years ago the prospect of 'corporate ownership ' was met with outrage when suggested on here, but after the reality of being cash strapped under an owner like Gao I'd be more relaxed about RB, Ineos or such like.

RB Southampton would be quite cool

There was an RS Southampton for a while who climbed the non league pyramid before folding (and selling us Staplewood in the process). This article refers to the full name Road-Sea Southampton, but I'm sure at one point they dropped the full name to comply with league regulations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-Sea_Southampton_F.C.

Tenuous link to Morgan Sanson, central midfielder:

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/marseille-expecting-offers-from-the-premier-league-for-morgan-sanson/

Good player but would imagine quite far outside of our price range, especially as we will obviously be after at least one full back as a priority.

We'd be looking at £25m+ I would have thought.

Trouble is we've been here before at the start of the January window; manager wanting/hoping for player(s) to be signed early, only to be let down by whoever being unable 'to get it over the line'.
Never easy in January. Prices overinflated, clubs doing well reluctant to sell, clubs doing badly desperate to hang on to decent players.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

90Min

6 Players Southampton Should Sign in the Upcoming January Transfer Window

https://apple.news/AoZEosCljSnezvALRviUAHg

The Leeds ayer is hardly going to walk away from them to us at the moment. The last thing we need are inexperienced CBs, we have enough already, seriously doubt we will sign a CB, Stephens and Bednarek are forging a decent partnership and we have Yoshida as backup, even if Vesta goes. The RB we have been linked with before, he wouldn't surprise me, think Cedric may depart in Jan rather than waiting for his contract to expire. The Celtic forward could be interesting, but doubt they will do business when they have a battle on for the SPL, unless it is as a make weight for a permanent deal for Forster.

90Min

6 Players Southampton Should Sign in the Upcoming January Transfer Window

https://apple.news/AoZEosCljSnezvALRviUAHg

Maehle looks like a solid possibility. The last Austrian CB were acquired hasn't worked out well, can't see Leeds parting with Phillips as they're top of the Championship and we don't need another winger with Boufal, Djenapo and Sims available.

I don’t know if his name has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but how about Vitesse Arnhem’s left wing back Max Clarke? Vitesse bought him from Hull for around 400k and Dutch media are reporting Liverpool might be interested in him as a back up for Andy Robertson. Let’s bring him in and sell him in a few years to Liverpool for a hefty amount.

Predictions in

Joachim Maehle

Jarod Bowen

New CB

Outs

Che Adams (loan) or exchange deal for Ollie Watkins at Brentford

vestergaard (loan)

You're predicting that Adams will be sent out on loan after playing in our 2 games before the window opens :lol:

The club know that if they can scrape back even a tiny fraction of the money lost on Adams then that will be better than him running out his contract in the reserves. Hence why he started against Chelsea to get him in the shop window. If we can get a million or two for him from a lower league team they'll snap their hands off, but if not he'll go down the same path as Carillo and Hoedt.

Another disastrous striker situation. Our clubs loves them.

The club know that if they can scrape back even a tiny fraction of the money lost on Adams then that will be better than him running out his contract in the reserves. Hence why he started against Chelsea to get him in the shop window. If we can get a million or two for him from a lower league team they'll snap their hands off, but if not he'll go down the same path as Carillo and Hoedt.

I'll be surprised if he goes out, even on loan. He hasn't clicked yet, but it's too early to give up on him.

I think he'll still be a success once he gets going.

Edited by Shroppie

I thought Adams was good in the last two games. Held the ball up, won free kicks, was strong. Ran off the ball well to create space for Obafemi to score. Would be mad to loan him out now. Really works hard for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be surprised if he goes out, even on loan. He hasn't clicked yet, but it's too early to give up on him.

I think he'll still be a success once he gets going.

Has the potential to succeed. Some players often need a season to get used to the demands.

I thought Adams was good in the last two games. Held the ball up, won free kicks, was strong. Ran off the ball well to create space for Obafemi to score. Would be mad to loan him out now. Really works hard for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought he looked in the games before that too, aside from Pompey, thought he looked a handful against Liverpool, he just hasn't managed to get a couple of goals yet.

This is top trolling to finish out the year. Yep, we’d be lucky to get £1m for Adams. Crikey.

https://pucelafichajes.com/2019/12/el-southampton-planea-una-oferta-de-10-millones-de-euros-por-salisu/

Saints allegedly preparing an offer of €10m for Mohammed Salisu, Valladolid CB.

He has a release clause of €12m and they have been trying to get him to sign a contract but he has yet to do so.

Has been a regular starter for them in La Liga this season.

Source is a local newspaper so perhaps something in it.

https://pucelafichajes.com/2019/12/el-southampton-planea-una-oferta-de-10-millones-de-euros-por-salisu/

Saints allegedly preparing an offer of €10m for Mohammed Salisu, Valladolid CB.

He has a release clause of €12m and they have been trying to get him to sign a contract but he has yet to do so.

Has been a regular starter for them in La Liga this season.

Source is a local newspaper so perhaps something in it.

Played a total of 18 first team games according to Wikipedia.

We need proven experience, not another gamble.

They may want him, but it is hard to see him leaving. Saints need 4 strikers, loaning him out would see us need another one and bloating the squad if Adams is still on the books as well.

Well not really. Longs contract is up in the summer.

Loan out Adams until the end of the season to help him get a bit of confidence and regular game time, bring in someone new as more competitive cover for Ings.

Bring Adams back and Let Long leave in the summer.

It would actually be a sensible move by the club as currently, none of the 3 behind Ings look half capable of consistently getting the goals we need to stay up and ings is over due an injury.

Adams will be fine. He's looked alright just needs a goal and more game time. Christ we accept Long for what he is and don't expect many goals. Long was a lot more expensive when you adjust or how crazy transfer fees have gone since them.

Adams' isn't just struggling to adapt, he's generally having a poor run including the second half of last season. That won't go on forever and we'd be daft to ditch him and spend big on someone else. If he's loaned a while to find form fine but don't sell him.

Ings, Long, Obafemi and Adam are good options. It's the team around them that needs work.

Couldnt agree more

Skate game aside, Adams hasn’t played too bad. His lack of goals is a concern though and I’m not sure he is best suited to playing to with Ings (both look to drop into the 10, rather than play off the shoulder).

There is a player there though and if ings got injured he’d be my choice to replace him.

Personally though, if we had a credible chance of bringing in another CF in jan (not at the expense of a CB, RB or CM) then I’d send him out on loan as I don’t think we are in a position to rely on him (or any of the others) should the worse happen to ings.

Loan out Adams until the end of the season to help him get a bit of confidence and regular game time

Bring Adams back.

Does this ever work? I would reckon loaning him out would destroy his confidence.

What players in the past (last 10 years) have come back to the squad from a loan spell with guns a blazing?

Loan out Adams until the end of the season to help him get a bit of confidence and regular game time, bring in someone new as more competitive cover for Ings.

It would actually be a sensible move by the club as currently, none of the 3 behind Ings look half capable of consistently getting the goals we need to stay up and ings is over due an injury.

Given the club have limited funds, spending them on a player that doesn’t strengthen your first choice XI would be insanity? We can’t bring in someone better than Adams for the money we would get for

him.

Adams will come good.

Centre-back that can cover left back - Rojo, no chance we would pay his wages though.

Right-back - that mush from Gen

Centre-midfielder - Wanyama if fit would be decent.

Do you think Wanyama still has it? I haven’t seen much of him at Spurs, but what I have seen he looked poor.

The Athletic is predicting it's full backs (both sides) and a centre back, but could only be 1-2 because of the difficulty of signing players in January, also they are saying apparently the 'soft' cap of £15 million ish players is going, and that if the right player comes along the club could spend more (like £25 million) but at the same time predict the budget is only about £30 million at best, probably depending on outgoings.

Thinks the best option for us is maybe loans with a view to buy of players looking to get game time before Euro 2020, reckons that might be the best way to sell the club at the moment as players might not be convinced to join in January and in a relegation battle, but 6 months of game time in the premier league to get into their Euro 2020 squad might tempt them, then if sign them in the summer or they can return to their club if we get relegated.

Adams won't get any confidence from scoring some goals in a five month stretch in the Championship. He already knows he can do that.

Him being farmed out six months into a four year contract will destroy his confidence and he'd know he isn't wanted at SFC and he'd prepare to move on.

Basically it's not going to happen, unless we really are writing him off as a bad job.

Does this ever work? I would reckon loaning him out would destroy his confidence.

What players in the past (last 10 years) have come back to the squad from a loan spell with guns a blazing?

The club are clear he's going nowhere. Correct decision.