January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

That's the difference with me and you I guess.

While you look to stay up and what more do we need to do that...

Im looking at the potential to kick on. Add a couple and have a go at the top 6 THIS SEASON

Our form has been great and we are just 3 points off the top 5.

Why couldn't we look forward and go for success rather than looking back or sideways to just stay up?

It's the January window. We have c. £100m of players out of the team and costing us millions each year. We've spent money, we don't lack ambition, it's just that those players are ****e. It's completely unrealistic to expect the club to spend tens more millions and add significantly to the wage bill until she shift some players.

I haven’t developed that at all. I’m very realistic in that I we don’t have pots of money but I find it incomprehensible that we’ve gone into a transfer window saying we need to strengthen the defence and come out if weaker. I find it incomprehensible that we can’t compete with clubs like Brighton and Bournemouth in the transfer market when we’ve been in the premier league far longer and only ever spent what we’ve earned from player sales. And most of all I find it incredible that people who defend the club put the reason for this down to us having a lot of crap players on big contracts and insist we’re a well run club with a sustainable model. It simply isn’t the case.

On the last point, you confuse a well run and sustainable business model with poor scouting decisions. My business is well run but of course we hire the odd person who doesn't work out.

On the last point, you confuse a well run and sustainable business model with poor scouting decisions. My business is well run but of course we hire the odd person who doesn't work out.

Im not confusing anything pal. The two go hand in hand. If your recruitment policy is deeply flawed and you consistently recruit staff who are over paid and underperforming which Is hampering your ability to make other decisions then that isn’t a sustainable business model. A football team though is very different to running a normal business, everyone knows you need depth, competition for places plus quality and experience in certain positions. Every single club in the premier league also has a number of big money bad signings, but that doesn’t seem to force them having to sell to buy.

It's the January window. We have c. £100m of players out of the team and costing us millions each year. We've spent money, we don't lack ambition, it's just that those players are ****e. It's completely unrealistic to expect the club to spend tens more millions and add significantly to the wage bill until she shift some players.

In the last year we’ve got off the wage bill

Davis

Gabbiadini

Austin

Targett

Gallagher

Clasie

Cédric

Yoshida

Plus whatever we’re saving on loans of Elyounoussi, Forster, Lemina and Hoedt.

I conservatively estimate that at around £400k a week of the wage bill not including the loanees

And brought in only Djenepo, Ings, Adams and the pointless Danso

Which is estimate at about £175k a week, so we’ve slashed about £11.7m off the wage bill in the last 12 months.

Im not confusing anything pal. The two go hand in hand. If your recruitment policy is deeply flawed and you consistently recruit staff who are over paid and underperforming which Is hampering your ability to make other decisions then that isn’t a sustainable business model. A football team though is very different to running a normal business, everyone knows you need depth, competition for places plus quality and experience in certain positions. Every single club in the premier league also has a number of big money bad signings, but that doesn’t seem to force them having to sell to buy.

You are confusing sensible business strategy and poor transfer decisions. The Gao and his inner circle will deal with the business model and strategy which is obviously one of a sustainable business model. Do you agree with a sustainable business model? If not, what would you prefer instead? If you ignore this questions, answer me this - yes or no do you feel (and forget what Bournemouth or Brighton do) it sensible that with out current contracted players that it's wise, or indeed necessary, that the club throw 8 digit transfer fees, plus the corresponding wages etc, at more players?

The truth is that out club is a well run business. That business hires football people to recommend signings, deal with the football strategy, advise and negotiate on wages and contract terms etc. Certain of those individuals have failed the club over recent times, as is evidenced by the players on the bench or on loan. Those people have left the club - a badly run club would have kept them. We haven't.

In the last year we’ve got off the wage bill

Davis

Gabbiadini

Austin

Targett

Gallagher

Clasie

Cédric

Yoshida

Plus whatever we’re saving on loans of Elyounoussi, Forster, Lemina and Hoedt.

I conservatively estimate that at around £400k a week of the wage bill not including the loanees

And brought in only Djenepo, Ings, Adams and the pointless Danso

Which is estimate at about £175k a week, so we’ve slashed about £11.7m off the wage bill in the last 12 months.

Now do a list of those on the wage bill (or on loan) but not 1st team starters. Then do a list of what we paid for them. Then have a think about how daft it would be to add umpteen more millions on the wage bill. Then explain how doing so is sensible business.

I think Eggs motivations is to make millions for Gao.

Very odd priorities for a "fan"

Err, wanting the team I've supported for over 40 years to be sustainable whilst being competitive (both of which it is) is sensible imo. I'd rather be that than constantly whine and moan cos we don't sign overpriced players that we don't need in the January window.

Err, wanting the team I've supported for over 40 years to be sustainable whilst being competitive (both of which it is) is sensible imo. I'd rather be that than constantly whine and moan cos we don't sign overpriced players that we don't need in the January window.

you have decided that we cant bring anyone else in because of our loaned out players and stating it as fact of the matter.

you have absolutely no figures to back it up other than what you can make up.

So I'm making up that Hoedt, Vest, Moi, Lemina, Boufal, etc, all cost lots of money, and that Forster is on massive long contract?! Get a grip. We all know that we've wasted money on transfers and wages. You obviously ignore that and think that it's sensible or realistic to throw more money at more players. Delusional.

So I'm making up that Hoedt, Vest, Moi, Lemina, Boufal, etc, all cost lots of money, and that Forster is on massive long contract?! Get a grip. We all know that we've wasted money on transfers and wages. You obviously ignore that and think that it's sensible or realistic to throw more money at more players. Delusional.

can you provide a break down of costs to demonstrate your FACT that we simply cannot afford to bring in more than 1 young loan signing this window...despite the huge player deficit over the last 12 months .

thanks

Just because you keep repeating it, does not make you right

You are confusing sensible business strategy and poor transfer decisions. The Gao and his inner circle will deal with the business model and strategy which is obviously one of a sustainable business model. Do you agree with a sustainable business model? If not, what would you prefer instead? If you ignore this questions, answer me this - yes or no do you feel (and forget what Bournemouth or Brighton do) it sensible that with out current contracted players that it's wise, or indeed necessary, that the club throw 8 digit transfer fees, plus the corresponding wages etc, at more players?

The truth is that out club is a well run business. That business hires football people to recommend signings, deal with the football strategy, advise and negotiate on wages and contract terms etc. Certain of those individuals have failed the club over recent times, as is evidenced by the players on the bench or on loan. Those people have left the club - a badly run club would have kept them. We haven't.

I’m really not sure what you can’t understand pal. / big Part of our “sustainable model” has been to buy players from foreign leagues for a fee somewhere between £12-£20m with no experience of the premier league. By and large that part of our model has been an absolute disaster for the last four years. Arguably our two most successful signings in recent season have been players from British leagues who are not a typical saints type signing. Then to cap it all we’re paying these players far more than their worth, can’t get rid of Them which hampering our ability to recruit talent we do want. So the proof is in the pudding, one of if not the most important element of any business model, recruitment, has been an absolute shambles. That ain’t a sustainable model.

And yes of course I agree with proper a sustainable model, give me Mane or Van Dijk for a couple of years and sell them for 3, 4, 5 times what we paid for them, then do it all again f*cking brilliant. The problem comes though when you don’t have that quality of player in. A player that cost £15m in 2016 costs £30m today but we haven’t moved with the times, we’re still shopping the football equivalent of TK Maxx hoping to find a John Smedley jumper in a rack of Georgio Georgious sweaters and as a result we’re stuck with the crap we’ve got since.

So the short term question is this. We are where we are, a very good manager with a bang average squad lacking in Depth quality. Our back up is basically our youth team in a lot of positions who most people agreed only a short time ago wasn’t up

To much. Do you hope to survive doing the bare minimum every season, let down the manager, fans and or do you gamble a bit and try to bring in two or three players of quality every year in the positions you’ve desperately needed them in and who can get you out the mess and with it push you up the league?

So to answer you point yes I’m all for a sustainable business model long term, but short term it hasn’t worked and we need to do something else to fix the errors of the past 4 years because sell to buy isn’t going to do it. We’ve made 70 bleeding million pre tax profit the last two year so surely short term to get out of the mess is it really to much to ask that we don’t have to make a profit from every single frigging transfer window and we actually sign a couple of player who can improve the first team? And yes we can sell them in two years time for £80m if all goes well and Goa And his band of merry men can smile all the way to bank

can you provide a break down of costs to demonstrate your FACT that we simply cannot afford to bring in more than 1 young loan signing this window...despite the huge player deficit over the last 12 months .

thanks

Just because you keep repeating it, does not make you right

Eh? I've never once said that we cant afford to bring players in! I've said that bringing in permanent signings on big contracts with the deadwood that we have is not sensible.

Now do a list of those on the wage bill (or on loan) but not 1st team starters. Then do a list of what we paid for them. Then have a think about how daft it would be to add umpteen more millions on the wage bill. Then explain how doing so is sensible business.

We’ve made a profit on transfers so make a list of what we spent would only disprove your point further. Not really sure why it’s daft to add a bit of quality to the squad. I’ve never really met a football fan before who wants his club not to sign better players.

you have decided that we cant bring anyone else in because of our loaned out players and stating it as fact of the matter.

Seems like we can’t sign anyone permenantly until we’ve sold every player on our books who isn’t a first team player. Mental.

Eh? I've never once said that we cant afford to bring players in! I've said that bringing in permanent signings on big contracts with the deadwood that we have is not sensible.

Also just for the record this is the first transfer window I’ve moaned about our lack of activity. I get your point about deadwood but perhaps in the majority but the players who have played out of their skin for the last eight weeks are the same ones who were costing us points every week for the last 3 years. When I see the club making record profits, slashing nearly two hundred thousands of the weekly wage bill and the squad still being weakened with fans rushing to defend how great it all is you di start to wonder what the hell is going on.

Seems like we can’t sign anyone permenantly until we’ve sold every player on our books who isn’t a first team player. Mental.

Would you prefer the club to run unsustainably? We have a lot of wages wasted on transfer failures, it makes sense to reduce the wagebill to free up cash for incoming transfers in the summer.

Would you prefer the club to run unsustainably? We have a lot of wages wasted on transfer failures, it makes sense to reduce the wagebill to free up cash for incoming transfers in the summer.

What level of business do you EXPECT to see in the summer. What positions?

Don't talk sense Matthew. We're fans. We deserve new players, regardless of how many we have already, and how much they are costing us. We need to compete with Bournemouth, they're going great and have Solanke. Or something.

fair enough, what do you THINK will happen?

I don't see those three happening as an unlikely.

When Danso and KWP loans end we'd be down to 3 senior centre backs and 1 senior team right back, so would be daft not to sign one of each. We are light in midfield beyond Hojbjerg, Ward-Prowse & Romeu, Hojbjerg and Romeu may even leave so new players required there.

Sure Gao isn't a great owner, but we still spent £50m+ last summer.

We have reduced the wage bill, by nearly £200k a week in the last 12 months. What’s your point?

I don't see those three happening as an unlikely.

When Danso and KWP loans end we'd be down to 3 senior centre backs and 1 senior team right back, so would be daft not to sign one of each. We are light in midfield beyond Hojbjerg, Ward-Prowse & Romeu, Hojbjerg and Romeu may even leave so new players required there.

Sure Gao isn't a great owner, but we still spent £50m+ last summer.

In the current market, £50m buys you 2 bulk standard premier league players.

We need more like £100m + money from player sales if we want to stop fighting relegation year after year.

It’s not going to happen. We’ll be bargain bin shopping again.

We have reduced the wage bill, by nearly £200k a week in the last 12 months. What’s your point?

Can you show your working on that?

My point is players need to leave as the squad is bloated and Janaury is not the best time to make signings. A new recruitment backroom appointment is due in the summer, is it not better to let him decide rather than make decisions on new transfers shortly before he arrives?

We need more like £100m + money from player sales if we want to stop fighting relegation year after year.

We are closer to Europe than relegation as things stand.

Can you show your working on that?

My point is players need to leave as the squad is bloated and Janaury is not the best time to make signings. A new recruitment backroom appointment is due in the summer, is it not better to let him decide rather than make decisions on new transfers shortly before he arrives?

I posted it above I’m not going to post it again.

We were meant to be bring in a new transfer person last summer too, never happened.

Thanks you’ve just proven my point which I got told was a dumb comment by one of goas cheerleaders Our record transfer fee is c£21m, we’d need to break our transfer record just to sign a competent premier league player.

Thanks you’ve just proven my point which I got told was a dumb comment by one of goas cheerleaders Our record transfer fee is c£21m, we’d need to break our transfer record just to sign a competent premier league player.

Price doesn't equal ability.

Saints could sign a player who goes onto World Class levels for £15m. Sure that would be hard to do and require good scouting. But we shouldn't fixate on price. Sure it would be nice if we were spending £30m+ on players, but they have to be well thought out transfers as we've had some disasters for relatively big money for us.

Yeah, that's just how it works. Vestergaard was more expensive than Bednarek so he's better, yes? Carillo is better than every striker who cost less than him, yes?

Yeah, that's just how it works. Vestergaard was more expensive than Bednarek so he's better, yes? Carillo is better than every striker who cost less than him, yes?

I think it’s pretty clear that Carrillo was / is not worth anything close to what we paid for him. Likewise probably vestergaard.

I think that says more about our scouting over the past few years.

Of course money doesn’t guarantee success and there are some bargains to be had. The reality is, we probably need a combination of 3 / 4 young’uns with potential in the £15-£20m bracket (I.e Dejenepo) and 3 / 4 proven players with real quality in the £25-£35m bracket to come straight into the squad.

What a ridiculous post. Are you struggling now you’re having to resort to this?

If you want proven quality you have to pay for it, otherwise it’s a gamble, sometimes you find a diamond sometimes you find a load of mud.

As I posted about a Mane or Van Dijk level player now costs a lot more than we paid for them 4 years ago, but we’re still shopping in that price bracket so it’s no surprise the vast majority of the players we’ve signed since them haven’t been anywhere near as good.

Price doesn't equal ability.

Saints could sign a player who goes onto World Class levels for £15m. Sure that would be hard to do and require good scouting. But we shouldn't fixate on price. Sure it would be nice if we were spending £30m+ on players, but they have to be well thought out transfers as we've had some disasters for relatively big money for us.

Which player is better Ronaldo or Will Hughes?

Which player cost more?

What a ridiculous post. Are you struggling now you’re having to resort to this?

If you want proven quality you have to pay for it, otherwise it’s a gamble, sometimes you find a diamond sometimes you find a load of mud.

As I posted about a Mane or Van Dijk level player now costs a lot more than we paid for them 4 years ago, but we’re still shopping in that price bracket so it’s no surprise the vast majority of the players we’ve signed since them haven’t been anywhere near as good.

I'm not struggling anywhere Del, but don't call a post ridiculous when it highlights the stupidity of the point it responds to. We both know that a higher price does not equal a better player.

I'm not struggling anywhere Del, but don't call a post ridiculous when it highlights the stupidity of the point it responds to. We both know that a higher price does not equal a better player.

Well if we’re going to play that game which player is better Ronaldo or Paul Moody?

Well if we’re going to play that game which player is better Ronaldo or Paul Moody?

I'm not the man saying that more dollar always buys a better player! But Moody was brilliant, better than both Ronaldo 's.