January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

For me I would do the following:

Try and sell Mohamed Elyounoussi to Celtic for 10 million.

Sell Cedric get as much as we can for him.

Sell a centre back not sure which one.

If we can get rid of anyone else like Lemina Brucey bonus! Or Fraser F

Signings:

Joakim Mæhle For Cedric.

A New left back cover for Bertrand ( Maybe raid the championship for a young player )

New Centre back we need somebody who can slot right in is a leader and has experience.

Central Midfield that can actually pass and create and link up play. We are crying out for creativity!

Those would be my priorities! And if we have any money left over stick a bid in for that Bowen Lad at Hull two seasons now has done pretty good......

Signings:

Joakim Mæhle For Cedric.

A New left back cover for Bertrand ( Maybe raid the championship for a young player )

New Centre back we need somebody who can slot right in is a leader and has experience.

Central Midfield that can actually pass and create and link up play. We are crying out for creativity!

Those would be my priorities! And if we have any money left over stick a bid in for that Bowen Lad at Hull two seasons now has done pretty good......

Dream on!

We will struggle to give Moi away with his wages, let alone £10m.

Cedric is out of contract in summer, nobody is going to pay for him.

Nobody wants to buy our CBs

As for signings, I'd be surprised if we brought in more than one player, let alone four.

Signings:

Joakim Mæhle For Cedric.

This isn't football manager.

LOL, here we go again agents fees, bonuses NI contributions etc. If we genuinely have no money after 5 years of being the only club to make a profit from player trading the level of incompetence of those running the club beggars belief.

I've said it before, but Les Reed should go down as one of the worst things to ever happen to Saints. We are inching our way towards an abyss far worse than 2009.

Let's face It will be ****.

We will buy some average Joe player, (probably an attacking winger, as that's the part of the team where we have some useful options already) for like 10 million euros while basically ignoring the obvious issues like fullbacks, CBs and CM.

Ralph (or whichever poor **** is saddled with the job by then) will tow the party line and claim this is exactly the signing he was hoping for and the team can now push on.

After a few games it will be obvious that said new signing is hopeless out of his depth..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

We won't be able to sell anyone - no-one will want any of our players.

We won't be able to finance any signings because of this.

We won't sign anyone because we have no money.

If we are lucky, right at the end of the window, we may sign a player on loan.

Business complete.

I think our transfer dealings in January will be.....extremely limited.

No point in speculating on new signings. If we get Reed back from loan at Fulham, I guess it gives a bit more cover in midfield.

Experienced premier league centre back? Nah. Mobile CDM? Nah.

Unknown last minute loan signing....could be!!

If we're in the bottom three in January then we won't make any major signings because the club won't sanction taking that kind of financial risk on the cliff-edge of the Championship.

If we're fourth bottom or higher then the club won't sanction any major signings because it is clear that the squad we have can keep clear of relegation.

In summary we ain't making any major signings in January.

If we're in the bottom three in January then we won't make any major signings because the club won't sanction taking that kind of financial risk on the cliff-edge of the Championship.

If we're fourth bottom or higher then the club won't sanction any major signings because it is clear that the squad we have can keep clear of relegation.

In summary we ain't making any major signings in January.

That's a fair summary although the owners will still be hoping to make a few bob from player sales.

I think the best we can hope for is that Cedric and Long agree to rip up their contracts and leave of a free, giving us some wage wiggle.

Forster and Ely are doing well enough to get a move at the end of the season, but I can't see anyone biting our hand off in January.

I think the best we can hope for is that Cedric and Long agree to rip up their contracts and leave of a free, giving us some wage wiggle.

Forster and Ely are doing well enough to get a move at the end of the season, but I can't see anyone biting our hand off in January.

If our players lose their Premier League status next season, their transfer value is going to fall even more. Any good players we have left in the summer would then have to be sold off cheaply. Relegation would be devastating for a club like ours with owners who aren't prepared to invest and Gao would be looking even more desperately for a way to pay back the loan he took out to pay Kat.

January will be a watershed moment in this clubs history IMO. It’s obvious what the issue is, and it’s been obvious for nearly 3 years, our premier league survival hangs on addressing it, fail to do so and the fans patience will snap. Even if we do somehow manage to survive without it it will simply emphasis the fact that the owners and directors are not fit to run this club.

January will be a watershed moment in this clubs history IMO. It’s obvious what the issue is, and it’s been obvious for nearly 3 years, our premier league survival hangs on addressing it, fail to do so and the fans patience will snap. Even if we do somehow manage to survive without it it will simply emphasis the fact that the owners and directors are not fit to run this club.
This. Sign a decent CB and we can stay up. Don't and we are down.

Don t think a center back is the only Key position we need to upgrade.

Quick mobile center midfielder is also a must.

Yep, and probably a right back. That’s the minimum. If they won’t spend now when we have little chance of staying up,without it then it confirms what we’ve all suspected.

I really don’t get some of you. It’s as clear as day what we need and has been for numerous windows. However we won’t address it and I doubt if any decent players will want to come. We haven’t done what we said we’d do in the international break so what makes you think we’ll do any decent January business?

Supporting Saints is like being in an abusive relationship. There are constant promises to change but in reality it never happens. However because we love them we’re prepared to go back and keep taking it despite knowing we shouldn’t.

I really don’t get some of you. It’s as clear as day what we need and has been for numerous windows. However we won’t address it and I doubt if any decent players will want to come. We haven’t done what we said we’d do in the international break so what makes you think we’ll do any decent January business?

The Club have addressed the need for a CB several times in the last 3 seasons, Hoedt, Bednarek, Vestergaard and Danso have all been siggned since 2017. Its not that the Club don't address the problem, but that they can't get it right (Bednarek is OK, bit the others are crap). If we sign another one why will it be a good signing, the track record says otherwise, and we have less football expertise at the club at the moment.

The Club have addressed the need for a CB several times in the last 3 seasons, Hoedt, Bednarek, Vestergaard and Danso have all been siggned since 2017. Its not that the Club don't address the problem, but that they can't get it right (Bednarek is OK, bit the others are crap). If we sign another one why will it be a good signing, the track record says otherwise, and we have less football expertise at the club at the moment.

nail on the head. We need an experienced leader at the back - plenty are/have been available cheaply or free, but of course we only buy 24 year old's with massive potential, who turn out to be massively cr*p

Don t think a center back is the only Key position we need to upgrade.

Quick mobile center midfielder is also a must.

A mate of mine has consistently been bigging up Jarred Bowen at Hull City

He scored another cracker today at Boro taking his total up to 12 so far from midfield this season and he was Hull's top scorer last term.

Should have bought him last season when his price would have been lower.

He scored another cracker today at Boro taking his total up to 12 so far from midfield this season and he was Hull's top scorer last term.

We don't need him. Its probably the position we need the least.

There is absolutely no chance of us going for him

I am pretty sure Bowen's contract is up at the end of the year so the price won't be that high, he's also I think the top scoring player in the championship for 2019 and this is now the 3rd season in a row he's scored at least 12 goals.

Most recently linked with Newcastle, seems to have been ignored by the big boys for some reason.

We don't really need him but at the same time would be a great buy.

I've watched him a lot and he'll make the step up. Just one of those players you get the impression would score at any level. He'd fit our system well too.

It might not seen a priority for us, but realistically there aren't many good CBs going in January. We also miss a lot of chances where we could wrap games up. Djenpo is raw, Redmond doesn't score enough, Boufal never seems in favour and could well leave in January anyway. If we does, adding Bowen would be great business.

I'd go so far as to offer loaning them Adams for 6 months for him to find form again. I don't think he's rubbish at all, but he needs games and we can get by with Ings/Obafemi/Long if we have to.

On Adams the biggest problem is the way were are creating chances, how many good through balls have you seen us create? Not many to my mind and from watching Adams at Brum a lot of his goals were from through balls, him moving off the shoulder of the defender and finishing first time across the goalkeeper the supposed 'scuffed' finishes, but we lack any sort of playmaker to do this since Tadic went.

Again if we look at Ralph's team at Leipzig that did very well, both Keita and Forsberg were good technical players who could pick a pass and play people in with slide rule passes, at the moment are midfielders are not good enough at this and the wide players we have are more run at people and cut in type players than people who will play cute balls in and around the box. The closest thing to a Tadic type playmaker is probably Boufal but he doesn't get on the pitch that much and he tends to take people on more often than not.

At the moment we rush the final ball and completely waste good positions for easy finishes for our attackers. We do really well to win the ball back in the opposition third, catch them in the transition and then more often than not make the wrong decision or don't pull off the easy pass. Most of our goals and chances are more coming from forcing errors in the opposition and crossing opportunities.

That is why I think we need more than a centre-back to truly implement Ralph's philosophy, we need a playmaker, someone who is mobile, works hard, but who can see and pick passes through the lines to do those direct quick balls he wants that creates opportunities for our front players.

If you look at his 4-2-2-2, then we are missing the centre-mid playmaker, the Keita in his Leipzig system (we have two hard working defensive DMs that are ok on the ball in Hojberg/Romeu), we lack the more measured/creative attacking mid, the Forsberg in his Leipzig system (we essentially have 3 of the quick, direct dribbling type wingers in Redmond, Boufal and Djenepo) and the mobile target man, the Poulsen in his Leipzig system (we have 3 'Werners' essentially in Ings, Adams and Long, though nowhere near as good).

All of our centre backs are of course prone to errors, so an upgrade is needed there, but to match his system, we really need those 3 missing components, especially IMO the two playmakers.

Not only have we fundamentally failed to replace Van Dijk, we have also failed to replace Tadic and Lemina, who would both IMO work very well in Ralph's system (bot of course for various reasons don't/didn't want to be here).

So whilst I think Bowen is really good, I am not sure he quite fits what we need for what the manager wants to play.

I am pretty sure Bowen's contract is up at the end of the year so the price won't be that high, he's also I think the top scoring player in the championship for 2019 and this is now the 3rd season in a row he's scored at least 12 goals.

Most recently linked with Newcastle, seems to have been ignored by the big boys for some reason.

We don't really need him but at the same time would be a great buy.

Newcastle ARE interested in him, but prefer to wait until end of season. If we want him, and I hope we do, then we need to out some money on the table in January.

Bowen has looked class when I've watched him but nowhere near a priority.

A RB, CM then CB are the clear priorities.

Surely a LB is the priority we have one in the whole squad and when he doesn't play we have all sorts problems having to play players out of position.

RB is not a priority. Cedric and Valery are here for the season.

LB should be a priority as we only have Bertrand there.

Not necessarily. We may look to sell Cedric in Jan to get something for him. Talk that Wolves want him for £5M. A Portuguese player at Wolves - who would have expected that? :)

Maybe we could get Matt Doherty from the deal.

Not necessarily. We may look to sell Cedric in Jan to get something for him. Talk that Wolves want him for £5M. A Portuguese player at Wolves - who would have expected that? :)

Maybe we could get Matt Doherty from the deal.

Was that Mahle (sp?) - guy were were linked with last January ever signed by anyone? RB from Belgium I think?

RB is not a priority. Cedric and Valery are here for the season.

LB should be a priority as we only have Bertrand there.

It definitely is. That's like saying cb isn't a priority because we have loads of em. Cedric is useless and Valery can only be ok when in a 5.

When does that actually happen? Championship players cost a fortune. Being rubbish enough to be fighting relegation hits players values just as much.

For players like JWP and Redmond, the main value difference is between when they're in purple patches and around the England squad, and when they're being anonymous for weeks on end at the bottom of the league.

Relegation is devastating for most clubs. We'd have to sell off a lot and hope we have enough young talent to get us by. I think we have quite a few players who'd do really well in that league, but it depends if we could afford to keep our mid-level and back ups like Stephens, Adams, Obafemi, Armstrong, Valery sort of players.

The impact of relegation on value of players is surely mostly down to whether clubs have to sell or not in order to survive. If other clubs know that a relegated club needs to sell their main assets, they will adjust their offers downwards accordingly. The championship players who go for a lot of money will generally be those belonging to clubs who don't have to sell and so can demand a higher price.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I was at Ashton Gate on Saturday and Matty Cash looked good. He's a right winger who has filled in at right back in the last month or so and been outstanding there for Forest. Not exactly the biggest fella in the world, but decent touch and enough pace to survive. Decent going forward as you'd expect. Won't be cheap and doubt Forest will allow him to leave before the summer as they are in the hunt for a playoff place.

Surely 'priority' would mean as a must have upgrade for the first team, therefore left back is not really a priority as we would basically be buying a back up.

Centre-back upgrade, centre-mid upgrade and attacking mid upgrade for me.

Actually I'd like to buy an upgrade on Bertrand and reduce him to the back up role. He ain't getting any younger and has been rumoured to be trying to get out since Puel's tenure. He hasn't really looked like his heart is in it for a long time.

Actually I'd like to buy an upgrade on Bertrand and reduce him to the back up role. He ain't getting any younger and has been rumoured to be trying to get out since Puel's tenure. He hasn't really looked like his heart is in it for a long time.

Along with Cedric, Bertrand is arguably the most saleable commodity our owners have left so they will probably try to sell them both in January. But, whether part of what they receive for them will be enough to buy upgrades is very doubtful. Our fans have consistently bought into the philosphy that new is better though.

We need a dominant centre back so we can comfortably start only playing two of them. We also need to ship out a couple...somehow. I'm not sure how - weren't Villa interested in Stephens a while back?

We need a left back back up, unless McQueen does get fit or Vokins steps up, but as neither seem likely presently, I'd be signing a decent young left back from the lower leagues that could one day step into Bertrand's boots. Who? I don't know, it's been hard following the lower leagues lately on account of having no time!

We need a right back first choice, and to ship out Cedric. Valery is fine as a back up/promising talent.

We need a defensive midfield brick ****house like Wanyama was to break up play. We lack variety in central midfield IMO.

We don't need a GK but Gunn has seemingly regressed this season. Can we afford to stick with McCarthy as first choice?

Attack is fine IMO. We have a goalscoring striker fit which is important and reasonable other options (hoping Adams gets his chance and takes it eventually). Attacking midfield options appear to be decent too. If we can sort out the defence (and defensive midfield) we could stay up this season! We literally have one transfer window to get it right - Gao needs to back us or go away.

Surely 'priority' would mean as a must have upgrade for the first team, therefore left back is not really a priority as we would basically be buying a back up.

Centre-back upgrade, centre-mid upgrade and attacking mid upgrade for me.

We don’t need attacking mid. I’d say that’s the one area we have a small amount of choice although both full backs and a stronger centre back is top priority as is a ball winning, box to box midfielder in the Lemina mould. A leader in the middle of the park where games are lost and won. Sadly, despite Saturday’s good performance, our midfield lack that bite, balling winning tenacity. That ability to charge down and then succeed a strong pass completion rate. We are constantly gifting the opposition possession which has lost us too many games. This also puts pressure on an already sub-standard, confidence lacking centre back pairing which is in a constant state of flux which must exasperate the situation. I’d like to see Danso have a game in his preferred position alongside a new addition. Sadly, I don’t think the platitudes which the club fed to The Independent were truthful in the slightest. It was merely pandering to the fans following a ritual humiliation on live TV but we’ve done that to death.

I’d love to be wrong. The club may have missed their suggested timeframe for appointing a DOF & whilst I know, logically, my head tells me the defensive, high energy transfer suggestions made by the club were likely the last in a long list of brazen lies, a tiny part of me, likely my heart, want to believe we are waiting to announce all 3 senior appointments: Matt Crocker as Academy/DOF, Walsh as Recruitment Expert & Buvac as Assistant Manager (which Ralph is desperately crying out for, that support to take the undoubtedly huge amount of pressure he is enduring off his shoulders a little). Then we may recruit in January under their guidance and suggestion which may be already happening. That would be a hugely successful and massive coup/reshuffle but what a positive one. Obviously, we have more chance of a fattened pig (or Danish Center back) flying!

Can’t link or think of any players because it feels too much of a pipe dream at this stage. We firstly need coaches and an assistant and DOF to guide this leaking ship wreck to port.

I believe we were very close to bringing in a Croatian central midfielder currently playing in Portugal during the summer but as Leminas move didn't happen in time we couldn't get it done before the window shut. A good CDM is equally as important as a proper centre half.