January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

No, not totally. But we do have Long, Djenepo, Obafemi, Redmond and Adams all as options to play up front.

N'Lundulu is listed in the first team squad too. Think he's been out with a long term injury though? Wonder when he's due back in action. He's always looked promising when I've seen him play.

Daily Express saying that Ralph has been given £30M transfer kitty, plus anything that can be raised by sales....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Daily Mail apparently has it at £35m plus any sales I read which should be enough for 2/3 decent players. I'd be very surprised if we didn't go for Maehle pretty soon, he seems to be a long term target in a position we've been looking to fill.

Could sell Forster and Elyounoussi.

Celtic's record transfer fee paid is about £9m, so I don't think we will get the £25m for Forster some papers mentioned we might want. Perhaps we could take Frimpong in exchange.

Celtic's record transfer fee paid is about £9m, so I don't think we will get the £25m for Forster some papers mentioned we might want. Perhaps we could take Frimpong in exchange.

We shouldve got Julien when we were looking at him instead of vestergaard

We shouldve got Julien when we were looking at him instead of vestergaard

yep. He looks better in the air, better on the ball and quicker too (goes without saying really). How much would celtic want for Julien now?

yep. He looks better in the air, better on the ball and quicker too (goes without saying really). How much would celtic want for Julien now?

Tbh he looked very average bordering on rubbish in the last old firm derby this past week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Villa lose Wesley and Heaton for the season” Well if that isn’t a headline that screams relegation I don’t know what is! But it made me wonder if they’d be after a new Keeper, and whether we could offload Forster on a permanent, maybe in a battle with Celtic. I guess it depends what the terms of his loan are.

Daily Express saying that Ralph has been given £30M transfer kitty, plus anything that can be raised by sales....

is the journo reporting this actually on crack?

there is no way we will spend that sort of money....

Daily Mail apparently has it at £35m plus any sales I read which should be enough for 2/3 decent players. I'd be very surprised if we didn't go for Maehle pretty soon, he seems to be a long term target in a position we've been looking to fill.
I'd rather spend £35m on one 'very good' player than £15m or so on a couple of 'average' players. These days, £35m buys us what we used to get for £15m a few years ago.

IMHO of course

“Villa lose Wesley and Heaton for the season” Well if that isn’t a headline that screams relegation I don’t know what is! But it made me wonder if they’d be after a new Keeper, and whether we could offload Forster on a permanent, maybe in a battle with Celtic. I guess it depends what the terms of his loan are.

Wesley is f-ing shyte.

Heaton is a big loss, though

Daily Express has also been telling us we will have Snow up to our roof tops this winter and Woolly Mammoths marauding our streets for the past umpteen years!!

is the journo reporting this actually on crack?

there is no way we will spend that sort of money....

Another one on crack:- "Daily Mail apparently has it at £35m plus any sales I read which should be enough for 2/3 decent players. I'd be very surprised if we didn't go for Maehle pretty soon, he seems to be a long term target in a position we've been looking to fill."

I'd rather spend £35m on one 'very good' player than £15m or so on a couple of 'average' players. These days, £35m buys us what we used to get for £15m a few years ago.

IMHO of course

Yes, exactly that. Have to agree the club seemed to think spending £15m on a was the same as spending £15 on a player 4 or 5 years ago.

Ross Wilson had great delight in rhe summer telling us at the fans forum how we had our best results (think he ment specd 15m sell for 30m) in the £10m- £15m bracket and how we wouldnt spend much more. Thought at the time now days that £15m player would be the bestr part of £30m now days.

Another one on crack:- "Daily Mail apparently has it at £35m plus any sales I read which should be enough for 2/3 decent players. I'd be very surprised if we didn't go for Maehle pretty soon, he seems to be a long term target in a position we've been looking to fill."

Well we shall see whether they are "on crack" or not come the end of January. After all Ralph has already stated he's looking to bring in players, and he's not going to paying for them with Unicorn farts is he, so he must already have a pre-agreed budget. IMO I think our budget will be less than the £30-35 million quoted in the papers but that's just conjecture.

Well we shall see whether they are "on crack" or not come the end of January. After all Ralph has already stated he's looking to bring in players, and he's not going to paying for them with Unicorn farts is he, so he must already have a pre-agreed budget. IMO I think our budget will be less than the £30-35 million quoted in the papers but that's just conjecture.

I would guess to get anywhere near £30-35 million it would include wages over the length of the potential contract etc, not just the fee?

Interesting that New York Red Bulls are in the mix....

Why? He's been playing for them for the last half-season.

More that people are desperately seeking a conspiracy that Red Bull are waiting to move in to St Mary's some time soon.

He was planning to bring in a few signings last January too. Not sure it means much in terms of whether Gao ultimately spends or not

More that people are desperately seeking a conspiracy that Red Bull are waiting to move in to St Mary's some time soon.

The obvious way to build the relationship with the club ahead of a £250m bid to buy it is to take one of our young fringe players that wont get a game on loan to another of their clubs.

The obvious way to build the relationship with the club ahead of a £250m bid to buy it is to take one of our young fringe players that wont get a game on loan to another of their clubs.

Yes of course. Probably why the Paul Allen bid failed, when we declined to send some fringe player to Seattle in 2007. Makes sense now.

Tbh he looked very average bordering on rubbish in the last old firm derby this past week.

Oh right. Thats not good. If players are not stand out in the SPL then they wont cut the mustard in the Prem. I dipped in and out of that game, but from what I saw he won a lot of headers and nearly scored two or three goals from headers from set pieces. That caught my eye. The basic skill of winning headers is something that has been undervalued at SFC.

On SSN app saying that we are interested in Mohammed Salisu - a CB. Hope we are still in for Todibo.

I know it’s likely BS due to the work permit issue - but if we’re seriously looking at a player from Real Valladolid that has made just 18 first team appearances to solve our defensive woes I’ll probably cry.

I know it’s likely BS due to the work permit issue - but if we’re seriously looking at a player from Real Valladolid that has made just 18 first team appearances to solve our defensive woes I’ll probably cry.
Unless our scouts have worked their magic again. Our best signings have been players unproven that we were willing to take a chance on.

Admittedly, they've also been our worst signings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't he get a work permit? If it's the international appearances thing then neither would Djenepo (Mali outside the top 50 in FIFA rankings), Wesley and Joelinton. But they all did. Players brought in to be starters for premier league clubs are hardly ever denied work permits. His first team appearances don't sound like much (19 as of today, got an assist too, good cross) but he had 0 before this season, played every league game starting all but one for Valladolid who have one of the better defensive records in La Liga. Experience for the sake of it is overrated, Vestergaard and Hoedt had plenty of experience before joining us, didn't work out so well.

Oh right. Thats not good. If players are not stand out in the SPL then they wont cut the mustard in the Prem. I dipped in and out of that game, but from what I saw he won a lot of headers and nearly scored two or three goals from headers from set pieces. That caught my eye. The basic skill of winning headers is something that has been undervalued at SFC.

Not seen enough of Julian but I caught the derby and, though I expect Maehle is more likely, I'm a fan of Tavernier and he looked decent in the old firm game. Not sure he is top draw but decent going forwards, good at set pieces, can win the odd header too ...

Unless our scouts have worked their magic again. Our best signings have been players unproven that we were willing to take a chance on.

Admittedly, they've also been our worst signings.

By comparison look at Rafael Varane, played only 23 league games for Lens, was captain in that time, and joined Real Madrid where he’s gone on to be one of the best defenders in the world. All players have to start somewhere and if he’s turning Scout’s heads this early in his career, he must have something about him. I’m not saying he’ll go on to be a Varane, but still...

The thing with a centre back is, six weeks ago we were screaming out for experience to plug the gap. Now we have a partnership forming of mid-20 year olds, so attracting a top youngster may be a good way to go about things. (I still don’t know what to think about the Danso signing though!)

Why wouldn't he get a work permit? If it's the international appearances thing then neither would Djenepo (Mali outside the top 50 in FIFA rankings), Wesley and Joelinton. But they all did. Players brought in to be starters for premier league clubs are hardly ever denied work permits. His first team appearances don't sound like much (19 as of today, got an assist too, good cross) but he had 0 before this season, played every league game starting all but one for Valladolid who have one of the better defensive records in La Liga. Experience for the sake of it is overrated, Vestergaard and Hoedt had plenty of experience before joining us, didn't work out so well.

Really? Joint 7th worse defensive record out of 20 teams.

My despair around this rumour was based upon the fact that it all feels very Groundhog Day, gamble on an unproven defender and then act surprised that we’re in a relegation battle. I think we need a backbone of higher level, late twenty-something year old players, that mean we can consolidate our league position whilst developing the younger talent around them. Danso is meant to have all the attributes this guy has and he can’t even get a place on the bench.

He's literally had a number of chances, and never delivered

That's just not accurate. He's never had a prolonged run in the team, and on the few occasions he has been played he has looked very promising, like when he came on as a sub and changed the game in our win against Spurs last season.

Nonsense, he's looked dangerous almost every time he's actually played. As good as Boufal has been (at times) I would still rather see Sims in the squad.

He has a brief cameo and makes an impact then is given a start and his lack of technique really shows and he fades away again.

Repeat x 3 or 4.

If he was dangerous almost every time he plays then he would always play. He doesn't.

He isn't PL quality. Which is no shame as the standard is so high. Can see why a long term move to the US appeals to him, mich better than clogging around in Huddersfield or similar.

Nonsense, he's looked dangerous almost every time he's actually played. As good as Boufal has been (at times) I would still rather see Sims in the squad.

Spurs game aside, I always thought we looked weaker last season when he was on the pitch. Like that awful Newcastle game when he was dragged off at HT or against Watford and Liverpool when we were immediately overrun when he came on. Even the win over Wolves, which was decent, we played better as a team after he went off.

He was in and out of a poor Reading team too. I just don’t see him being consistently close to the level we’re looking for.

May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.

Assuming Valery is fit sometime soon we have cover at right back, now we are playing four at the back I think we have enough cover there but would wish to upgrade quality in summer latest. However we have no trusted back up for Bertrand so a promising championship young left back happy to wait his chance would be good but tha does not feel like mega bucks.

I am happy with attacking options assuming we don’t sell Adams. Where I think we are short, having sent out Reed and Lemina, is cover for the holding midfield positions. We are two injuries or suspensions away from having just one holding midfielder and that could be a major problem so I would prioritise that area and left back cover.

Then more radical work in the summer including the many players out on loan

May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.

Assuming Valery is fit sometime soon we have cover at right back, now we are playing four at the back I think we have enough cover there but would wish to upgrade quality in summer latest. However we have no trusted back up for Bertrand so a promising championship young left back happy to wait his chance would be good but tha does not feel like mega bucks.

I am happy with attacking options assuming we don’t sell Adams. Where I think we are short, having sent out Reed and Lemina, is cover for the holding midfield positions. We are two injuries or suspensions away from having just one holding midfielder and that could be a major problem so I would prioritise that area and left back cover.

I agree we don't need any panic buys but a few good results doesnt change the weakness in the squad.

The best time to strengthen is from a position of relative strength and we have that more now than probably at any stage in the last 2 years.

Our targets will have watched the Chelsea and Spurs games and probably feel better about joining us than they did in November.

Ralph knows where we need to improve, the club know - and you can't stand still in the PL, its akin to going backwards.

Joakim Maehle was apparently given an asking price by Genk of £7.5 million today. While I don't know how good he is, aside from what websites etc say about him, and the fact we've been trailing him for a year, that seems like a good price for a right back that will potentially be first choice at the start of next season.