January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

KWP would be a good signing IMO. Can play LB almost as well as RB, is fast, good one vs one and still very young. We have been linked the last few windows so have probably followed him for a while.

He needs game time but could develop into a good player. Has played well for the England age group teams that are of a high level. A loan with a reasonably priced option would be ideal.

Bryan - as a second choice maybe, but with Vokins emerging and Bertrand a far superior player, I don't like this one. He is 26 so presumbly wants to play frequently. Fulham fans don't rate him. Hopefully his Agent is trying to drum up interest in him.

If they do want to sell him why make him cup tied or leave him open to injury?

Agreed but how do teams watch him and decide if not playing he is not even on bench? Players get injured in training or u23s.

We are selling Adams and he gets brought on ;-)

Anyway not sure this is a goer anyway Levy will want a fortune he always does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought we'd be in for Maehle having been closely linked twice before. Perhaps this potential signing is a victim of Gao being cash strapped.

KWP - has any signing from Spurs been that good for us ?

LB - the Dutch lad sounded a good prospect, although something didn't stack up there as to why PSG might let him go. Joe Bryan hasn't set the world alight at Fulham despite being rated at Bristol City. We should be aiming higher, although I doubyt we'd be looking to shell out £7m on him.

Mourinho has let a lot of good players leave who go on to better things. Personally I'd put more faith in the fact Poch rated him.

But what does it mean for Valery? Would Cedric leave? Valery loaned out or sold?

KWP feels like more of a summer signing if Cedric goes. We don't want to instantly disrupt the back 4 and KWP wants to move to play.

I don’t think bringing in the new right back will make any difference, it will improve the squad to have a ball winning RB no doubt.

Very good point about having more faith in Poch that Moany-yo-yo. If Jose doesn’t want KWP, there’s a good chance that he’s a bloody good player and, as you say, i’d much rather trust the judgement of Mauricio Pochettino rather than José Mourinho. Look at Jose’s record:

Mo Salah, Mata, Robben, Lukaku, Kevin De Bruyne... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thought we'd be in for Maehle having been closely linked twice before. Perhaps this potential signing is a victim of Gao being cash strapped.

KWP - has any signing from Spurs been that good for us ?

LB - the Dutch lad sounded a good prospect, although something didn't stack up there as to why PSG might let him go. Joe Bryan hasn't set the world alight at Fulham despite being rated at Bristol City. We should be aiming higher, although I doubyt we'd be looking to shell out £7m on him.

Tommy Forecast. Pekhart. Lowe turned them from youth rejects with no discernible talent into worldbeaters. :lol: At least we didn’t waste anything like football’s world record transfer fee sell on clause for them.

Oh, wait..... :rolleyes:

I can’t say why, just instinct, but I really like the sound of Maehle. Having said that, I was really keen on & a big advocate for Clasie and I was supremely chuffed for the ambition our old board showed in signing Gaston Ramirez but that didn’t work well did it?! I don’t know why but I wasn’t keen on the PSG guy recently touted. I’ve now completely forgot but who was the guy that was offered to clubs? I would be immediately suspicious when any club offer out a player to other clubs.

Confirmed here:

Have we been linked with any other centre backs? I can’t think of many. I thought Pongracic was a decent fit for us on paper, young, shown how good he is at Salzburg, inexpensive, has worked with Ralph etc. Hey ho, we move on.

It definitely seems like we’re penny pinching, I just hope it doesn’t pee Ralph off to the extent he wants out.

Walker-Peters and Bryan not filling me with confidence at all, that sounds like a Championship fullback pairing right there.

As back ups, maybe, but first choice is worrying.

Also people saying KWP was rated by Poch, well he played the first 3 games of the season and then didn't play again, Poch even played Foyth at right back, who is a centre-back rather than KWP, which is very worrying.

A player that can't dislodge the error prone Aurier is a worry IMO.

Neither Poch OR Mourinho seem to want to play him.

Have we been linked with any other centre backs? I can’t think of many. I thought Pongracic was a decent fit for us on paper, young, shown how good he is at Salzburg, inexpensive, has worked with Ralph etc. Hey ho, we move on.

It definitely seems like we’re penny pinching, I just hope it doesn’t pee Ralph off to the extent he wants out.

Ralph himself says they are looking for full backs and didn’t mention a CH. Do we know that we were actually looking at this guy? Ralph also said again that he knows what the situation is regarding transfers so I don’t think he is going to up sticks and go because of this. If he was he would have gone before.

also hope that he is not using Che as a test to the board

I'd imagine the Vestergaard loan falling through ment it wasn't neccesary to sign a cb now and that we can wait for the summer. I don't see an issue with this personally, the market will be better in the summer. Bring in a cover lb and a competitive rb and I think we are fine.

Ralph himself says they are looking for full backs and didn’t mention a CH. Do we know that we were actually looking at this guy? Ralph also said again that he knows what the situation is regarding transfers so I don’t think he is going to up sticks and go because of this. If he was he would have gone before.
Our cb's in contract at the end of the season = Bednarek, Stephens, Vestergaard.

Our cb's in contract at the end of the season = Bednarek, Stephens, Vestergaard.

Don't forget Hoedt! I imagine we will get someone over the summer but for the next few months Stephens, Bednarek, Yoshida, Vestergaard and Danso is probably fine.

Walker-Peters and Bryan not filling me with confidence at all, that sounds like a Championship fullback pairing right there.

As back ups, maybe, but first choice is worrying.

Also people saying KWP was rated by Poch, well he played the first 3 games of the season and then didn't play again, Poch even played Foyth at right back, who is a centre-back rather than KWP, which is very worrying.

A player that can't dislodge the error prone Aurier is a worry IMO.

Neither Poch OR Mourinho seem to want to play him.

Setting up 3 assists in a match isn't bad and I'd rather trust Poch. Not so with Mourinho. He cast off Salah, Lukakku, Robben, Mata and De Bruyne to name a few. The fact he doesn't want KWP can almost be seen as a blessing considering his track record!! LOL

Don't forget Hoedt! I imagine we will get someone over the summer but for the next few months Stephens, Bednarek, Yoshida, Vestergaard and Danso is probably fine.

Quite simply we have to hope the Stephens/Bednarek partnership doesn't suffer from illness/injury/suspension. Who's third choice? Judging from recent benches it's Yoshi and he's not exactly had much game time since the Leicester thrashing. Part of me really wants to see what Danso has to offer in his actual position of centre back, but I think chances will be few and far between now - especially as it's Spurs we have in the cup and not, say, Rochdale where we could have tried him out. I really don't think we'll be seeing much of Vestergaard now, unless in an emergency.

I like the look of the two players we are in for, they look like the type of players saints scout. I think they could do a good job for us, both have a good cross, have pace, look sharp in a tackle, only fear is there height, bit like what we have at present we get targeted by teams every game for this. Anyway, time will tell.

After his comments a couple of weeks ago. Hoedt is a write off.

I like the look of the two players we are in for, they look like the type of players saints scout. I think they could do a good job for us, both have a good cross, have pace, look sharp in a tackle, only fear is there height, bit like what we have at present we get targeted by teams every game for this. Anyway, time will tell.

Who are these two players?

After his comments a couple of weeks ago. Hoedt is a write off.

Maybe, but you can't just ignore him when listing the CBs we have under contract past the end of this season. The point is whether we will sign a new CB this window, it may happen, but in all likelihood with 6 CBs under contract and 2 out of contract we ain't gonna sign another one. In the Summer, probably we will. CB is not the priority, LB/RB and possibly MF is much more important. We have a settled CB pairing with some backup potential, at the end of the Jan window there will be only 14 league games to go, the need for another CB is really not that great.

Sounds reasonable but our tentative inquiry was probably just to ask how you spelt his name for Lander PR - Southern Jackanory Division, Britannia Road, Southampton.

Sounds a firm tackler. “Last season he was booked 15 times and shown three red cards”. I suppose with Romeu retiring soon, we need someone else to pick up where he left out. No nonsense. I’ll miss Romeu.

Fulham’s Bryan - no way. He is absolutely useless and responsible for one of the greatest tallies of goals conceded in the Premier League. He would fit right in a few months back. Fortunately, we already have two full backs who can bomb forward, lose the ball, lose their marker and not tackle or track back in Valery & Soares. So, we don’t need a third on the opposing flank. Unless the goal is to get relegated.

KWP - I think he is a good prospect and Pochettino did like him. Spurs are an impatient club with an inflated sense of grandeur. He’s got a good passing range and a great cross. He has made some great assists and passes. All he needs is to have a decent run in a team and some good coaching and confidence instilled in him which Ralph would surely do. Very much like Adams, who could be a very good player and just needs the right support and patience.

I see Pongracic is now at Wolfsburg and it seems Maehle has been forgotten so I’m concerned if we have any money available at all. At the start of the window, the rumours appear big and halfway through, they are getting smaller by the day. Thank God they are only rumours. I’m hoping it’s not a money thing as the figure for Bryan is laughable. Considering English players are normally double the cost of European players, 5 million is paltry & less than pocket change in the Premier League so I don’t believe even Gao will be this tightfisted and stupid. That really would be getting what you pay for which will be an absolute turd...sprayed gold (or red & white). I think it’s probably a disgruntled PR bod or ex member of SFC staff winding up the fans...or an agent. This would be the modern day equivalent of Chris Makim but without the....(comment withheld for fear of libel)

I hope there is a really good quality utility full back as that would be ideal. Primarily a RB who can also cover left if Bertrand got injured. That would be cost-effective for even the most skinflint owner.

At the end of this window, we will probably end up being linked to players from the Sunday, pub league. :lol:

Will get a sense from RH today I would imagine. In the forum last week he guarenteed we would do things in the full back areas, but we have heard it all before in previous windows..

Yup - very true.

If Valery is back in the squad again, and Cedric has improved I'm not as worried about the RB position, but if Bertrand got injured we'd be struggling. If we hadn't had the upturn in results recently, we'd definitely be looking to bring some in, but maybe they might try and wait it out until the summer.

Feels like we might as well just send Danso back to his club, all seems a bit pointless to me, unless we're locked into buying him and therefore will work on him in the centre back position once we're safe or over the summer...

Re Danso - the OS says 'loan', and the BBC say 'loan with an option to buy' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49290375

Given his physical attributes, and his age (only 21) I wouldn't be surprised if we made his signing permanent. Jack Stephens (25) is still fairly young for a centre back and seems to be blossoming of late. Up until only a few weeks ago I thought he was hopeless. Now, him and Bednarek are looking fairly solid. The first few times I saw Jan play I thought he was gash, too. If we're not going to buy a young top-notch first-team-ready centre back (spoiler alert, we're not - they cost £50m+) then we need to accept that the only sensible strategy is to try and spot someone who has that potential, and then develop them. After a year here on loan, Ralph should be able to judge whether Kevin fits the bill, or whether we have to look elsewhere. I'd be happier with him staying at the club than Vestergaard...

Re Danso - the OS says 'loan', and the BBC say 'loan with an option to buy' - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49290375

Given his physical attributes, and his age (only 21) I wouldn't be surprised if we made his signing permanent. Jack Stephens (25) is still fairly young for a centre back and seems to be blossoming of late. Up until only a few weeks ago I thought he was hopeless. Now, him and Bednarek are looking fairly solid. The first few times I saw Jan play I thought he was gash, too. If we're not going to buy a young top-notch first-team-ready centre back (spoiler alert, we're not - they cost £50m+) then we need to accept that the only sensible strategy is to try and spot someone who has that potential, and then develop them. After a year here on loan, Ralph should be able to judge whether Kevin fits the bill, or whether we have to look elsewhere. I'd be happier with him staying at the club than Vestergaard...

Unless he was insanely impressive in training, I can't see us making his move permanent. He's on a long, recently renewed contract at Augsburg - I'd expect the asking price to be well over £15m.

Do we have that kind of money to throw around on a squad player.

I like his raw materials and think he could become a really good centre back, but I doubt it'll be at Saints.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

>>I'd expect the asking price to be well over £15m.

>>I like his raw materials and think he could become a really good centre back, but I doubt it'll be at Saints.

How much does a 'really good centre back' go for these days?

Buy aged 21 for (for example) £15m

Develop, play in 1st team

Sell aged 26/27 for £50m

Would you prefer that we bought a journeyman centre back, aged 27, for £8m?

>>I'd expect the asking price to be well over £15m.

>>I like his raw materials and think he could become a really good centre back, but I doubt it'll be at Saints.

How much does a 'really good centre back' go for these days?

Buy aged 21 for (for example) £15m

Develop, play in 1st team

Sell aged 26/27 for £50m

Would you prefer that we bought a journeyman centre back, aged 27, for £8m?

Do you really see Danso being worth £50m at any point? I don't.

I reckon he will be your typical journeyman centre back, and that would be an expensive £15m! So i wouldn't go anywhere near him.

Ralph in today's pre-match press conference (paraphrased): "We are still looking at the possibility of getting in a full-back. However, Valery is due back quicker than we thought (end of Jan) and Jake Vokins showed in the cup game that he is closer to first team standard than we perhaps thought. So, we have to be careful not to block their path into the first team and will only sign a player if we need to, not for the sake of it. We have the funds to sign someone if we need to."

Ralph in today's pre-match press conference (paraphrased): "We are still looking at the possibility of getting in a full-back. However, Valery is due back quicker than we thought (end of Jan) and Jake Vokins showed in the cup game that he is closer to first team standard than we perhaps thought. So, we have to be careful not to block their path into the first team and will only sign a player if we need to, not for the sake of it. We have the funds to sign someone if we need to."

That change in stance, and the fact we haven't got in anyone 'early' is kinda suggestive that we're not getting anyone in. We're being prepared now!

He must be ****ed if that's the case, he made it quite clear that's what he wanted. Is he about to be let down again by this faceless Gao?

Ralph in today's pre-match press conference (paraphrased): "We are still looking at the possibility of getting in a full-back. However, Valery is due back quicker than we thought (end of Jan) and Jake Vokins showed in the cup game that he is closer to first team standard than we perhaps thought. So, we have to be careful not to block their path into the first team and will only sign a player if we need to, not for the sake of it. We have the finds to sign someone if we need to"

Are we surprised? 16 days in of silence, been on a good run and we've decided not to bring in anyone.

Let's hope a few injuries don't bite us in the arse.

That change in stance, and the fact we haven't got in anyone 'early' is kinda suggestive that we're not getting anyone in. We're being prepared now!

He must be ****ed if that's the case, he made it quite clear that's what he wanted. Is he about to be let down again by this faceless Gao?

He also said the finance is there if we do decide to bring people in.

He also admitted interest in KWP (without specifically saying so).

On one hand it makes sense, no point blocking off Vokins entirely.

On the other hand, after the Cup game and at the forum last week he said there he isn't ready for the PL and then today said he is developing faster than expected. Well how much has he developed in this week?!

Reading between the lines I would say that clearly Cedric is going in the summer and there are always question marks over Bertrand. Its probably better to wait til the summer to get long term replacements for those two, rather than rush it now.

KWP can cover LB as well as RB so he would make sense, but seems Palace are still in pole position for him.

Or maybe he's just realised that the backup options we have are more adequate than he thought a few weeks ago, and that we can wait until the summer to get a permanent replacement for Cedric.

We have Danso as fullback cover as well so the board are probably wondering why would we need anyone else. I mean, he's played a couple of games on either side of defence for us and although he didn't look comfortable, he's probably the standard of player we'd get if we bought someone anyway.

Valery’s ‘virus’ has been, what, two months? I smell something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk