Bolton and Bury

jawillwill

What's going on ? Too many mediocre football clubs living in the shadow of bigger clubs in roughly the same locality..

Thats not the problem. Smaller clubs near major cities can survive quite happily when run well. In both cases the clubs had run up debts unders one ownership, then been taken over. In Bury's case they were bought for £1 and the new owner did nothing to address the debts. Football is a sport that needs to be run as a business, but whereas normal businesses can fail and no-one except the staff really cares, if a football club goes bust then the whole community suffers. And there are too many cases of owners buying clubs with out recognising their responsibilities to the community. Not just Bury and Bolton - Blackpool, Newcastle, Charlton to mention three more have had (or still have) owners who should never be let near owning a football club. The fit and proper person test is a joke.

I remember when Garside was their chairman and banging the drum for no relegation from the Premier League.

Badly run football clubs that go into admin need to be chucked out of the league and start in the conference (or whatever it’s called now). This includes Bolton & Bury, and yes it should have included us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember when Garside was their chairman and banging the drum for no relegation from the Premier League.

Yes, and the formation of a PL2 with a closed shop. The wages they paid on the basis of future income was just unbelievable. Skate levels of lunacy.

Badly run football clubs that go into admin need to be chucked out of the league and start in the conference (or whatever it’s called now). This includes Bolton & Bury, and yes it should have included us.

Unfortunately it is the fans that suffer when people go on an ego trip by buying a football club. At the same time though fans demanding signings at any cost is counter productive - investment is the most inappropriate word when used in the context of a football club. Saints are only ever one bad managerial appointment or an injury crisis away from relegation and if the worst happens then we should expect the club to have the financial mechanisms in place to ensure we do not go into financial meltdown. How many of us believe this to be the case with Saints?

Unfortunately it is the fans that suffer when people go on an ego trip by buying a football club. At the same time though fans demanding signings at any cost is counter productive - investment is the most inappropriate word when used in the context of a football club. Saints are only ever one bad managerial appointment or an injury crisis away from relegation and if the worst happens then we should expect the club to have the financial mechanisms in place to ensure we do not go into financial meltdown. How many of us believe this to be the case with Saints?

it surely is,given the constant message of self-sustaining and the lack of net spend over so many years

Sad times. What the hell is going on?

Seems a very real possibility that both won't be part of the football league shortly..

Unfortunately both owners are money grabbing ****s. Phoenix clubs would be the best bet, but then it would be highly likely the new clubs couldn’t afford to buy the grounds.

Weak governance from the football league and their rules for the golden share hasn’t helped.

....don’t forget the Skates!

it surely is,given the constant message of self-sustaining and the lack of net spend over so many years

We’re self-sustaining on PL income. We’d be screwed if we got relegated and didn’t come up in a year or two and still had the likes of Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Stephens, Long, Forster... on the books.

We’re self-sustaining on PL income. We’d be screwed if we got relegated and didn’t come up in a year or two and still had the likes of Carrillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Stephens, Long, Forster... on the books.

Yes and we were only saved by Marcus or could easily have suffered the fate of Bolton.

Must be absolutely dreadful for the fans.

For sure. The players, coaches, managers - they'll rock up somewhere else. Fans though, what do they do? That's their town, their local club, who they've supported their lifetime. Even the workers who have worked in and around the ground their lives, at smaller clubs like Bury you get lifers doing the pitch, tickets, hospitality etc.

For sure. The players, coaches, managers - they'll rock up somewhere else. Fans though, what do they do? That's their town, their local club, who they've supported their lifetime. Even the workers who have worked in and around the ground their lives, at smaller clubs like Bury you get lifers doing the pitch, tickets, hospitality etc.

True. Clubs like Bury are the soul of football.

Incredibly sad.

This seems to be the result of complex leases and loans that prevent the ground from being included in any deal.

No one in their right mind would take over the club and then be held ransom by random banks and individuals for use of the pitch.

That issue will continue for Bury, I guess Gigg Lane could now be a target for developers if there is no covenant protecting it.

With all due respect to them, if Bolton go too, that would be massive.

Strange times.

Greed and owner/recruitment incompetence are the main reasons for any club being liquidated.

When Blackwell was manager of Bury for the start of 13/14 season, the recruitment was so disorganised trying to get players in and although no fees paid, salaries were too high considering the number of players recruited. I’m only surprised the club lasted this long.