Che Adams

washsaint

Clearly he has to be given more time; we have so many players that have been written off (e.g. Redmond) but needed time to settle in and gain some confidence before we start making a negative conclusion about.

My concern though remains the same; he scored 22 goals last year. 21 were with his right foot, just a single tap in with his left. No headers. Unless he can improve these areas he will be a very limited player and easy for premiership defenders to mark. For the Burnley game he missed a good chance in the first few minutes because he hit the ball with his right (instead of his left) and he missed another good chance against Liverpool because his header was inadequate.

It is very difficult to lead the line if you can't head a ball or shoot adequately with your weaker foot. It will be interesting to see if Saints can develop these two apparent weaknesses - you can get away with these fundamental limitations in the Championship, not in the Premier. But he is young and learning ..... Let's give him the season to improve.

Was surprised he didn't play at Fulham, where he would have had more chances to get off the mark.

5 years ago there were idiots (probably the same ones) slagging off Pelle after 2 games. He scored at Millwall in the League Cup and was off and running.

I still remember how happy he was.

Clearly he has to be given more time; we have so many players that have been written off (e.g. Redmond) but needed time to settle in and gain some confidence before we start making a negative conclusion about.

My concern though remains the same; he scored 22 goals last year. 21 were with his right foot, just a single tap in with his left. No headers. Unless he can improve these areas he will be a very limited player and easy for premiership defenders to mark. For the Burnley game he missed a good chance in the first few minutes because he hit the ball with his right (instead of his left) and he missed another good chance against Liverpool because his header was inadequate.

It is very difficult to lead the line if you can't head a ball or shoot adequately with your weaker foot. It will be interesting to see if Saints can develop these two apparent weaknesses - you can get away with these fundamental limitations in the Championship, not in the Premier. But he is young and learning ..... Let's give him the season to improve.

I’m not sure he can lead the line in the traditional sense, but my thinking is probably outdated, it should do like a commanding enter forward who can bring others into play, but we haven’t had that since my man-crush Grazziano left, and before that Lambert, I think we’ve really missed that. I really hope it works out for Adams, I think it might take him a while.

Was surprised he didn't play at Fulham, where he would have had more chances to get off the mark.

5 years ago there were idiots (probably the same ones) slagging off Pelle after 2 games. He scored at Millwall in the League Cup and was off and running.

Remember how Mane was slaughted on here 'give him away, no one will buy him' etc

I don't think he had the comfort of two games before the barracking started, I recall a few loons making sarcastic cheers after about 35 minutes or so after he won a header.

I made a post about how useless Carrillio was ,was i right?.........i got slated for it uuummmm ..tick for me i think,but i do think Che will prove a good buy,

my other concern is theres a lack of depth in the attackers, atm Obafemi seems to be very injury prone himself atm not looking to promissing for the lad atm,

having been out since Arsenal game last season,dosent seem to be able to shrug of hamstrings.

Most of us predicted that. I can only think of 4 people who would slate you for that, Reed, the clown, the donkey himself, and his mum.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought Adams was excellent yesterday, comfortably his best game for us.

Aside from the two chances which he did little wrong with, he was really strong, held the ball up well and put their defence under pressure.

Confident he will do well long term for us.

Aside from the two chances which he did little wrong with, he was really strong, held the ball up well and put their defence under pressure.

Yes he looked good in the highlights I saw. He's gradually getting there.

He will score the winner against the skates and become an instant hero, his early season form will be brushed under the carpet ;)

He’s done well. Imagine how we might do when he starts putting the chances away.

I thought his signing was risky and before Saturday I hadn't changed my mind but he impressed me on Saturday. Really good movement, strong and good pace. Great technique for the shot that hit the post and unlucky with the chance that was saved.

I thought his signing was risky and before Saturday I hadn't changed my mind but he impressed me on Saturday. Really good movement, strong and good pace. Great technique for the shot that hit the post and unlucky with the chance that was saved.

This echoes my thoughts on him. Not sure a good performance against a championship team has actually changed my mind but he displayed the attributes, or potential, of a good striker.

Very unlucky not to get two at Bramall and whatever you think about him tonight, the only time we looked close to beating the ‘keeper was from a penalty he won.

I have faith. J Rod’s first goal was a long time coming IIRC and he had a similar record and attributes at Championship level.

As above, a few decent moments of hold up play, but I've not seen anything from him to suggest that he's got what it takes to perform the Herculean task of outscoring Shane Long.

His last touch before contact on the penalty was taking the ball out of play about ten yards ahead of him, so he was very lucky as otherwise it would've just looked like another passage of play where he lacked the pace or technique to create a chance for himself.

I'm calling it now. He's not good enough. Another championship player who can't make the step up. He might break his duck against Portsmyth, if Ralph doesn't have another stroke of genius and rest him, but that'll be just papering over the cracks.

Doesn’t look remotely like a Prem quality striker. In fact so far I have no idea how he managed to gain a decent reputation in the Championship...he just does not seem to put himself in a position to score a goal or have the ability to create a decent shooting chance for himself. Would love to see h8m come good, but how long does Ralph persist? Trouble is we’ve no other viable options.

Whilst he's clearly a lower league player and Birmingham have pulled off the con of the century getting us to splash out £15m, it's really important we don't get on his back. He's an horrendous striker but slagging him off during games won't help anyone.

This comment will come back to haut you sir. I can guarentee it.

I remember when Redmond was getting a load of clog. Now it’s Adams turn. Personally, I think he’s done ok, it’s a big step up and he could come good. Only top top players jump up to premier league level and hit the ground running, doubt he’ll be that but he could be a decent mid table player. Looked no worse than Ings this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when Redmond was getting a load of clog. Now it’s Adams turn. Personally, I think he’s done ok, it’s a big step up and he could come good. Only top top players jump up to premier league level and hit the ground running, doubt he’ll be that but he could be a decent mid table player. Looked no worse than Ings this season.

Is that really how low the barometer is now set ?

Personally the snippets I've seen from Adams have given me some optimism, but he does need to break his duck. Once off the mark and with a bit of confidence I'm hoping he knock a few in, a few "scuffs" in there but who cares.

It took Jay Rodriguez eight league games to score his first for the club and another eight for his second after making the step up to the Premier League from the Championship. He wasn't so bad before the injury ruined him. Although, I guess he had more pace and was better at carrying the ball than Adams, but he was also playing in a better Southampton team. Unfortunately, there aren't many Lambert's or Pukki's who just make the step up with ease, many others need time.

Totally agree he hasn't looked any worse than Ings. The only problem with that is that Ings has been ****.

To be fair to the lad he's no better or worse than our other strikers. Non of them are anywhere near prolific, or indeed regular scorers. Pretty much par for the Saints standard of striker really.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Needs to be booed, immediately.

6 games without a goal in a new league? Boo him. Definitely.

If he ever does finally score can I suggest we greet the goal with a huge ironic cheer, the likes of which We used to reserve that pile of dross Pellè, the lazy, lumbering cat-horse we’ve never replaced properly.