Che Adams

washsaint

We won 4-0 against a division 1 side... Is Sunday league a step up from division 1 these days? I guess you've gone fishing and I've bitten, but FFS it's crap like this that drags this place down

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

ok so he's a little ott but everyone can admit we were mm away from being 2-0 down to pompey. Class shone through in the end but not because we kept them at bay easily. Such games are likely to be like this i admit but it wasnt a great defensive display.

We are weak defensively partly to do with our retention, our defenders and half of our defensive midfield unit simply give the ball away too often and too cheaply. Our defence was its best whe nwe had solid defensive midfielders who played simple effective passes and won the ball well. PEH is off his best form and it makes a big difference to those behind. Then ther eis a misplacedpass from each of that back line every game at least. Its hard to coach perfect defence when we allow turnover in dangerous positions so easily. 5 turnovers like that a game and a prem team will hurt you. If we give man city the ball like that theyll batter us.

Just guessing but is Adams problem that under Ralph he is thinking too much on the ball and not letting his natural instincts take over? In the Championship he probably hit the ball first and posited the questions afterwards.

Quite a few years ago I used a very experienced (and expensive!) golf pro to try and improve my swing. He began by totally deconstructing every thing that I was doing so as to begin afresh as it were. Trouble is what he then built up in my game was so alien to my instincts and body and therefore so artificial that my game never recovered.

You don't always get what you hope for when you start spinning a pot.

Just guessing but is Adams problem that under Ralph he is thinking too much on the ball and not letting his natural instincts take over? In the Championship he probably hit the ball first and posited the questions afterwards.

Quite a few years ago I used a very experienced (and expensive!) golf pro to try and improve my swing. He began by totally deconstructing every thing that I was doing so as to begin afresh as it were. Trouble is what he then built up in my game was so alien to my instincts and body and therefore so artificial that my game never recovered.

You don't always get what you hope for when you start spinning a pot.

He is obviously a bit short on confidence as hasnt scored yet but IMO isnt doing a lot wrong. Could easily have scored 3 or 4 this season and then the discussion would be very different.

Still feel longer term he will come good, and he still contributes with his work rate despite not scoring.

The latest from RH on Che Adams:

Ralph Hasenhuttl insists he has not lost faith in summer signing Che Adams, who he dropped for last week’s defeat at the hands of Tottenham. The striker, who was bought from Birmingham for a reported £15m, started each of Saints’ opening six Premier League games but has yet to score.

“It was clear that I wanted to give him one time a rest,” said Hasenhuttl. “I think a break can sometimes help, even if you like him are always looking for scoring and it doesn’t work.

“He showed this week that he is in better condition now, clearer in the mind and he can be an option for Sunday. It’s important that you stay on working and believe in yourself. I try to help him as much as I can - give him a lot of trust and still trust him. I’m sure that he will help us in the future and games will come that he will score.”

Strikers are judged on goals, but as long as he appears to be working his arse off for the team I don't have a problem with him. I know some people don't like the hard-working, little end product-type players like Ormerod and Long, but Adams still has time to come good. He just needs a lucky deflection or flukey tap in and he'll get a bit of confidence. Ings is still in front of him on current form though, unless they are played together.

If we're going to play a hardworking player who rarely scores i'd prefer to play Long, who at least works harder, wins the ball in the air, has the experience of this league (and knows how to draw fouls) as well as being able to actually pop up with a goal now and then.

If we're going to play a hardworking player who rarely scores i'd prefer to play Long, who at least works harder, wins the ball in the air, has the experience of this league (and knows how to draw fouls) as well as being able to actually pop up with a goal now and then.

has more pace too while you are at it

I still think once Adams gets one he’ll settle down and be ok.

Adams is 10 years younger and already a better player than Long. For a start he can hit the ball vaguely in the direction of that big net. Adams hasn’t scored in 7 games, Long is easily capable of 7 months without a goal.

Adams is 10 years younger and already a better player than Long. For a start he can hit the ball vaguely in the direction of that big net. Adams hasn’t scored in 7 games, Long is easily capable of 7 months without a goal.

Long has rarely been starting for multiple games in a row though, usually if he doesn't score he's dropped. I feel confident in saying he would have at least 2 goals if he had started the first 7 games of this season instead of Adams.

• 2 weeks later...
Can’t see where he fits in with Ings being fit

I hope this is not another duff signing!

Well in the system played yesterday he doesnt, simple as that. And less likely when Djnepo is fit simply because he is a better attacking option before any smart arse looks up and says "hes not a centre forward" !

He doesn't have to be a first XI player for us, so maybe he fits in to the squad / when ings gets injured.
Yes but if he isn't first choice then it's a bit of a waste considering how much we needed a starter up front. Fortunately ings has hit some form but he's very likely to be out injured again at some point.

He doesn't have to be a first XI player for us, so maybe he fits in to the squad / when ings gets injured.

We kind of needed players to come in and be good enough to start. Spending £15m on yet another sub is the reason why we will do well to stay up

We kind of needed players to come in and be good enough to start. Spending £15m on yet another sub is the reason why we will do well to stay up
I don't really blame the club for this one. He still could come good but he seemed promising and it's always worth a punt. No idea what we were doing with Danso though if we had no intention to play him at cb. We must have one of the weakest defences in the league if not the weakest.

I don't really blame the club for this one. He still could come good but he seemed promising and it's always worth a punt. No idea what we were doing with Danso though if we had no intention to play him at cb. We must have one of the weakest defences in the league if not the weakest.

But both Adams and Djenepo? More so when we dont have a farthing to spend elsewhere.

We are woeful in defence, nil cover at LB and CM is incredibly light. Which we all know anyway

Danso is one bizarre signing, almost a panic signing

But both Adams and Djenepo? More so when we dont have a farthing to spend elsewhere.

We are woeful in defence, nil cover at LB and CM is incredibly light. Which we all know anyway

Danso is one bizarre signing, almost a panic signing

Personally I would have kept Harrison Reid as backup at cm which would have meant losing lemina wasn't such a big deal. If we had signed an actual cb who was decent then the defence would have been OK with just being a big light at lb. Djenepo is a decent attacking signing albeit not somewhere we massively needed someone with boufal returning and I can absolutely see why we signed a striker considering how many on here were crying out for someone.

The main issue is that with danso being rubbish, it highlights the fragility of the rest of our defence. If I had to have a choice I would have maybe not bothered with Adams and gone all in on a quality cb but I can see why we tried to solve both issues.

Our defence and midfield are weak.... What we need is leaders and players with a bit of steel and grit about them who's heads won't drop when the going gets tough.

I got ridiculed on here previously! but someone like Cahill and even a punt on a Wanyama type unit of a signing to shield the back line is exactly what we were crying out for. What's the point in strengthening up the top of you are frankly stuck with a bunch of bottlers who cannot defend or keep a clean sheet.

The average crap such as Stephens, Vest, Hoijberg, Gunn, Prowse.... Offer nothing should be dropped or sold...

Rant over!

Our defence and midfield are weak.... What we need is leaders and players with a bit of steel and grit about them who's heads won't drop when the going gets tough.

I got ridiculed on here previously! but someone like Cahill and even a punt on a Wanyama type unit of a signing to shield the back line is exactly what we were crying out for. What's the point in strengthening up the top of you are frankly stuck with a bunch of bottlers who cannot defend or keep a clean sheet.

The average crap such as Stephens, Vest, Hoijberg, Gunn, Prowse.... Offer nothing should be dropped or sold...

Rant over!

But buying old experienced players is not the “Southampton Way.” We like to buy younger players with potential that we can sell on for a vast prophet. Nothing wrong with that as long as you buy the right players.

Rant over!

Cahill may have been okay for a short term fix but he's 34 in December, wanted a 2 year deal and pretty hefty wages (which is a serious issue for us right now). Plus he may or may not have wanted to stay in London. Wanyama is way over the hill with injuries and isn't worth a punt.

No denying we're weak in other areas but we badly needed a striker. When Ings was injured last season, we were hopelessly lacking up front.

Will spearhead the promotion push next season.

People criticising the club for the Adams signing need to get a reality check on this one. He's clearly been brought in with next season in mind. We'll have him as an option in the Championship and having had a year to get to know the club/his teammates then he should be ready to go right away in the lower leagues with us.

Actually a decent move by the club for once, thinking ahead.

People criticising the club for the Adams signing need to get a reality check on this one. He's clearly been brought in with next season in mind. We'll have him as an option in the Championship and having had a year to get to know the club/his teammates then he should be ready to go right away in the lower leagues with us.

Actually a decent move by the club for once, thinking ahead.

The club will probably f£&@ that up by not being relegated

Don’t think there’s any need to say he’s a poor signing just because he’s out of the side at the moment , Ings simply earned his place by starting better then Adams and is in the side scoring goals, so really no need to threat over the striker position if Ings is dining well.. as for Adams he can still be a decent squad member or maybe break into the team later.

Adams is not of Prem quality and the worrying thing is that we have Long, Obifemi and Ings all looking like very similar players that can’t score (less so with Ings). Can’t see him doing well here at all and think he might end up leaving if he’s not getting game time, meaning more wasted money.