Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Attendance today 30,499

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking a back seat
    Posts
    11,161

    Default Attendance today 30,499

    I havenít looked through the records but that seems to me like a surprisingly low attendance against Man United. On tv it was quite obvious there were plenty of empty seats.

    My point. At £65 a ticket in the Itchen or Kingsland, or £50 for about the cheapest adult tickets, Iím in no way surprised.

    From a commercial perspective the club have got it right, now. Fill the stadium to 95% at hugely inflated prices, good price model, people will pay it (well, some will).

    Just seems like football is lost to me. I grew up on going to the dell with a bunch of mates as a nipper and all getting in for two quid. That culture is long gone, I reckon. How do we attract a swathe of young fans when attendance is becoming so expensive? I thought twenty is plenty was having an effect, it obviously isnít.

  2. #2

    Default

    P!ss take mate...I would have gone today had it not been so expensive for me and my son. Just can't do every game at that price, ended up going to watch it at a local pub. Good though.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,819

    Default

    Really does make my season ticket seem very good value.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netley
    Posts
    724

    Default

    We must have had nearly same amount for saints v united at the dell record attendance

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    Really does make my season ticket seem very good value.
    Yep, my season ticket in block 39 works out at 30 quid a game. Only any good of you can make it to all the games though. I agree that the per match pricing is insane, especially when you consider the number of home wins we've had in the last 4 seasons...

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,912

    Default

    My Daughter has forgone her membership this year, when the email came that Season Ticket holders could buy more tickets she said stuff that at £50 to sit next to me.
    ....oh and for those of you thinking to slag a woman going to football just don’t say it in her earshot ...........trust me she’ll spark you out!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking a back seat
    Posts
    11,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    Really does make my season ticket seem very good value.
    Yes, no doubting that’s where the value is at. Matchday tickets for the big games though are just through the roof. I just don’t see how 13-18 year olds can go in numbers together like I used to all those years ago. The market has changed. Good for revenues though.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oi MUSH
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Jonny View Post
    Yep, my season ticket in block 39 works out at 30 quid a game. Only any good of you can make it to all the games though. I agree that the per match pricing is insane, especially when you consider the number of home wins we've had in the last 4 seasons...
    More, Dell was 31,044

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
    P!ss take mate...I would have gone today had it not been so expensive for me and my son. Just can't do every game at that price, ended up going to watch it at a local pub. Good though.
    Agreed. I'm not paying those prices, sorry, but attending in person isn't as enjoyable anymore and is ridiculously expensive.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    £50 seems like a bit of a threshold for me. I stumped it up for the Liverpool game but don’t think I will again.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    £50 seems like a bit of a threshold for me. I stumped it up for the Liverpool game but donít think I will again.
    40 is my absolute threshold, Atleast the away tickets are capped at £30 (+ booking fee)

    Luckily I have a ST so Iím not being ripped off, but if I didnít have one, there is no way I would pay that money, especially if on TV. Bonkers pricing

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    @matsmithdesign
    Posts
    2,679

    Default

    This is why I tend to stick to away games, better atmosphere and cheaper tickets

  13. Default

    The worst thing about taking a stand and saying "no" to the prices we're charged these days is the plastic armchair fans of top 6 clubs telling you that you're clearly not a true fan if you don't go and watch the games.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Breaking tea cups
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    My Daughter has forgone her membership this year, when the email came that Season Ticket holders could buy more tickets she said stuff that at £50 to sit next to me.
    ....oh and for those of you thinking to slag a woman going to football just don’t say it in her earshot ...........trust me she’ll spark you out!
    I heard Heisenberg call her a dumb chick! He’s up in Glasgow now I believe...

  15. #15

    Default

    Don't live in the area any more, I try to get to a couple of games a season but prices are crazy, plus travel. Usually the third round FA Cup game is decent about £15 but no way I'd pay more than £30.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,302

    Default

    I went and paid £65 and took full adavantage of the reporting hotline. 82 reported for standing, 3,227 for offensive chanting a song that was repeated several times which suggested our neighbours in Portsmouth are unclean and fatherless and suggested we weee looking to engage in acts of antisocial behaviour when we visit them on the 24th of September. I applaud the club for pricing the tickets so high it keeps those nasty working class people away and any that do slip through the net can quickly be banne thanks to the excellent reporting text line.

  17. Default

    Loads of empty seats in the corporate section today. Couldn't apparently even sell them to Mancs.

    Basically though, they are going to price the seats to pretty much sell out the stadium. And they do pretty much sell out the stadium. Maybe need to drop ticket prices by a quid or two, but if you made it typically £15-£20 a ticket, you'd just get an emerging black market, I guess.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    My point. At £65 a ticket in the Itchen or Kingsland, or £50 for about the cheapest adult tickets, Iím in no way surprised.

    Just seems like football is lost to me. I grew up on going to the dell with a bunch of mates as a nipper and all getting in for two quid. That culture is long gone, I reckon. How do we attract a swathe of young fans when attendance is becoming so expensive?
    Broadly agree with the overarching message and sentiment here, but from what I've quoted it does appear you're comparing apples and oranges.

    Anybody know what the lowest priced kids ticket was for the match?

  19. #19

    Default

    So many empty seats when I watched it on MOTD. Was pretty surprised.

  20. #20

    Default Attendance today 30,499

    Read a match report that said first team ever that we hadnít sold out the Utd home game. Journalist was reasoning that was because Utd werenít the attraction they once were.
    TBH I never look at ticket prices and also been offered a number of spares from mates who canít make it at both Liverpool and Utd games. Didnít realise the Ďvalueí other mates were getting from these free tickets as assumed still £35 or thereabouts
    Last edited by whelk; 01-09-2019 at 05:27 AM.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I went and paid £65 and took full adavantage of the reporting hotline. 82 reported for standing, 3,227 for offensive chanting a song that was repeated several times which suggested our neighbours in Portsmouth are unclean and fatherless and suggested we weee looking to engage in acts of antisocial behaviour when we visit them on the 24th of September. I applaud the club for pricing the tickets so high it keeps those nasty working class people away and any that do slip through the net can quickly be banne thanks to the excellent reporting text line.
    At one point there was a Ďstand up if you love the Saintsí and I was staggered how many were willing to flout the rules and block othersí view. Letís hope they get their comeuppance once all the texts are acted on and this illegal behaviour ceases.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,245
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Broadly agree with the overarching message and sentiment here, but from what I've quoted it does appear you're comparing apples and oranges.

    Anybody know what the lowest priced kids ticket was for the match?
    £15 for an Under 11 in the Itchen South or Family stand

  23. #23

    Default

    Given the £65 cost, I'm not surprised there were empty seats. There was almost an empty row next to me, bar 1 or 2 people.

    £65 to watch a 90min football match is quite frankly disgusting, I'll be honest.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    At one point there was a ‘stand up if you love the Saints’ and I was staggered how many were willing to flout the rules and block others’ view. Let’s hope they get their comeuppance once all the texts are acted on and this illegal behaviour ceases.
    Did you punch someone when they blocked your view or is it all talk?

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Taking a back seat
    Posts
    11,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Broadly agree with the overarching message and sentiment here, but from what I've quoted it does appear you're comparing apples and oranges.

    Anybody know what the lowest priced kids ticket was for the match?
    Yes, good point. The link for ticket prices is below. £20 for under 18s in the family section or Itchen South, then starting at £30 for behind the goal and the wings.

    https://www.southamptonfc.com/ticket...-ticket-prices

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevy777_x View Post
    Did you punch someone when they blocked your view or is it all talk?
    Keep up sunshine. Not easy when you are quite slow but try. There is an improve your IQ podcast you could play after your self-help how not to be a loser like Fraser Forster and make those sales.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Keep up sunshine. Not easy when you are quite slow but try. There is an improve your IQ podcast you could play after your self-help how not to be a loser like Fraser Forster and make those sales.

  28. #28

    Default

    Over 1000 tickets unsold, club calling round past customers trying to flog tickets and hospitality right up to last minute. The fact they struggled for Manchester United will hopefully mean they realise price is wrong. Southampton is not London, there's not an endless supply of people willing to handover that sort of cash.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Shirley
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    My sad old git's season ticket works out at £24.70 per game.

    Very good value compared with day tickets.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •