Sheff Utd vs Saints - Build Up

SuperSAINT

I just hope we manage to put in a better performance than we did last time we played there in the EFL cup in 2014. We were atrocious that night.

Blades so far remind me of Hudds two years ago. They've got a good fighting spirit and they've kept their momentum going from the end of their promotion season. But they are a limited side in terms of quality.

Very much looking forward to seeing my local pub full of Saints fans again though :)

They’ll be looking at games like this as the sort of games they need to win to stay up. Will be a tough one. The international break has probably come at a good time for us, need a few back from injury and plenty to work on for Ralph.

Sheff U are a very limited side from what I've seen on MotD. Having momentum from last season is fine but will only carry them so far. Our high press and non-stop effort style will not suit them at all and as long as we turn up for the first half on the day it should be a comfortable win, even 0-3 perhaps.

How did they do against LUFC last season? Might indicate how they deal with a pressing game.

Do you have parking available ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, sorry. It's a bit of a nightmare round our way on match days. Gets pretty gridlocked with people looking for unrestricted on-street parking. It is available around the Sheaf View, but you have to arrive early (at least 2-3 hours before KO) to get a space.

No, sorry. It's a bit of a nightmare round our way on match days. Gets pretty gridlocked with people looking for unrestricted on-street parking. It is available around the Sheaf View, but you have to arrive early (at least 2-3 hours before KO) to get a space.

Is that parking still available down near the Decathlon? - used that for the fateful cup game and amazingly found it not too hard getting out (but then I guess traffic wasn't bulked up by Saturday shoppers)

Don't tell everyone about the Sheaf View, will be a nightmare!!! Thats where I'm heading. Cracking little real ale pub.

You can park in town and walk / taxi. It's not that far depending on where you end up parking.

There are quite a few nice pubs in town, mainly along division street, devonshire cat, forum, frog and parrott, bungalows and bears.

There is also the Fat Cat around Kelham Island area of town. and the Sheffield Tap inside the station. Also a few down Ecclesall road, which is one of the main student areas, but full of good pubs and restaurants, a nice spot for the evening.

Loads of options

Is that parking still available down near the Decathlon? - used that for the fateful cup game and amazingly found it not too hard getting out (but then I guess traffic wasn't bulked up by Saturday shoppers)

The Decathlon car park itself has massively reduced in size since a large sinkhole opened up in it a few years back and it's still all fenced off.

The brownfield car park just near to it has now been partially developed on too (unsurprisingly) but I think there is still some P&D parking available there.

I want to see a 4231 for this finally. Boufal is so much better centrally in a free 10 role, and JWP did his best work last season on the right of the 3 while being encouraged to cut in (admittedly this was in a 343 front 3). My team is:

Gunn

Valery Vest Bednarek Bertrand

Romeu Hojberg

JWP Boufal Djenepo

Adams

McCarthy, Yoshida, Cedric, Armstrong, Long, Obafemi, Ings

With Ings coming on for Adams if he is looking ineffective at half time.

Don't tell everyone about the Sheaf View, will be a nightmare!!! Thats where I'm heading. Cracking little real ale pub.

You can park in town and walk / taxi. It's not that far depending on where you end up parking.

There are quite a few nice pubs in town, mainly along division street, devonshire cat, forum, frog and parrott, bungalows and bears.

There is also the Fat Cat around Kelham Island area of town. and the Sheffield Tap inside the station. Also a few down Ecclesall road, which is one of the main student areas, but full of good pubs and restaurants, a nice spot for the evening.

Loads of options

Yep, we're not short of watering holes up here.

Kelham Island has become hipster central in the last few years, so as well as the Kelham Tavern and the Fat Cat there's loads of little bars and eateries that have sprung up.

If you like your real ale pubs then just up the hill from the Sheaf is the Brothers Arms, which is another favourite of mine. It used to be a proper dive and was boarded up for years, but the people running it now have turned it into one of the best pubs in the area.

Bringing the boy up for this , has anyone found a decent location for parking yet ?

There's a couple of multistory car parks on Eyre Street, on the other side of the roundabout at the top of Bramall Lane.

If you're looking for free parking, then there's plenty in the residential roads on the other side of the A61. But it gets busy and the closer you get to KO the further away you'll have to go to find a space. Easy to get out of town and head south from here though. Just go through Chesterfield on the A61 and join the M1 at J29.

SUFC parking.JPG

There's a couple of multistory car parks on Eyre Street, on the other side of the roundabout at the top of Bramall Lane.

If you're looking for free parking, then there's plenty in the residential roads on the other side of the A61. But it gets busy and the closer you get to KO the further away you'll have to go to find a space. Easy to get out of town and head south from here though. Just go through Chesterfield on the A61 and join the M1 at J29.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2832[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that, very helpful. I was going to do the multi story on Eyre street as well, but if I get there early enough Ill have a look around the area you have highlighted - cheers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2832[/ATTACH]

Cheers SS I'll also have a mooch at that area ,but if not will head to the multistory.

:mcinnes:

I was going to say that's impressive if we've nearly sold 2900 but not if some of the tickets are going unused. Makes no sense as this game doesn't qualify for Skates away anyway.

Anyone keeping tabs on how our international players are getting on this week?

I noticed England were training at Staplewood yesterday and assume they will be today, might disrupt our preparation a bit.

Sheff Utd got many internationals? I noticed David McGoaldrought was playing for Ireland, either him or Billy Sharp is bound to score against us.

Just found out yesterday from a friend who volunteers there, Heeley City Farm is having a mini beer festival on Saturday, starting at 5pm.

4636334057.jpg

It's a very short walk from the ground, and the beer festivals in the past have been a great success, offering a really good range of beers from Sheffield's vast array of local breweries.

Worth noting on the pub front that the students aren't back until later in the month. Devonshire Cat for me, hell of a beer list.

They go back the following weekend, so likelihood is some will go back early.

Im driving up Saturday early doors and back Sunday. Aim to visit a bit of division street in the evening I think.

Looks like we've sent some back...

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2019/september/blades-v-southampton-tickets/

Due to Southampton not selling their full away allocation, tickets for Saturday's game will go on general sale at 11am on Tuesday 10th September.

This match is a Category B fixture.

Tickets are priced from £29 Adults, £22 Seniors, £19 Young Adults/Students, and £13 juniors (£11 Junior Blade Members).

Please note: All areas of the ground including the Westfield Corner and HE Barnes Upper Tier are available for this game to home supporters. Visiting supporters will be allocated the HE Barnes Lower.

I read that differently, think they are saying as we haven’t sold out there is no risk of away fans buying in the home end so they’re allowing tickets to go on open general sale to people with no purchase history.

we definately havent sent back tickets, Blocks 1 -3 tickets all sold, around 180 left Block 4 (away end blocks 1- 4) , so agree with you they feel its safe to go on general sale as we've still got 180 to shift

we definately havent sent back tickets, Blocks 1 -3 tickets all sold, around 180 left Block 4 (away end blocks 1- 4) , so agree with you they feel its safe to go on general sale as we've still got 180 to shift

You can understand them being concerned about away fans infiltrating the home areas after 'Coombsey's Commandos' assault on their Kop 40-something years ago! :p

We definitely took the full allocation and will probably all be gone by the weekend. Good turn-out.

:mcinnes:

I was going to say that's impressive if we've nearly sold 2900 but not if some of the tickets are going unused. Makes no sense as this game doesn't qualify for Skates away anyway.

Anyone keeping tabs on how our international players are getting on this week?

I noticed England were training at Staplewood yesterday and assume they will be today, might disrupt our preparation a bit.

Sheff Utd got many internationals? I noticed David McGoaldrought was playing for Ireland, either him or Billy Sharp is bound to score against us.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17889948.david-mcgoldrick-callum-robinson-miss-southampton-match/

Looks like McGoldrick has a knock and has left the Ireland squad before their game against Bulgaria. Their other Irish forward, Callum Robinson, picked up a knock on international duty too.

Devonshire Cat for me, hell of a beer list.

Last time we went to the Devonshire Cat (2018) is was less of a pub and more 'dine in' only really. Still a decent enough beer list but no where near as good as previous years.

For me it's going to be The Sheffield Tap or The Rutland Arms.

Last time we went to the Devonshire Cat (2018) is was less of a pub and more 'dine in' only really. Still a decent enough beer list but no where near as good as previous years.

For me it's going to be The Sheffield Tap or The Rutland Arms.

Yeah the Dev Cat has been refurbished in recent years and the bar relocated to the middle, which means they just don't have the space to stock as many different beers as they used to. Still very good though.

Can't go wrong with the Tap or the Rutland (they do great food - known locally as the 'Rutty butty').

If you're looking for good beer selection, try one of the True North owned pubs - The Forum, Old House and Common Room, all on Division Street, or The Broadfield on Abbeydale Road if you don't fancy the city centre. The Riverside, near Kelham Island, also has an excellent range.

Nearer to the ground is the Cremorne on London Road. Smallish place and not a huge range of beer, but always some good options on tap. The Beer Engine, at the bottom end of London road, has a great range of beers but it's very close to Bramall Lane and I'm not sure about their policy on away fans.

We're spoilt up here really. There's so many excellent local breweries around.

You can understand them being concerned about away fans infiltrating the home areas after 'Coombsey's Commandos' assault on their Kop 40-something years ago! :p

Ha ..remember that day ..Just x 2 coach loads .kick a round in the club car park after nicking a ball from Woolies .We had to walk all the way round the ground to get into to their Kop. It had a cricket pitch as well in those days !

We're spoilt up here really. There's so many excellent local breweries around.

Yes, I'm in Sheffield a few times a year for a few of the Hard Rock Hell weekends at the O2. Great selection of pubs and we always have an ace time.

Was there a couple of weekends ago and visited our favourite haunts. Even got to Noodle Doodle for a lovely Malaysian lunch as well. Bonus!

Shout out to The Dove and Rainbow that has managed to survive a threatened closure recently due to public pressure.

Shame it's too far away from the ground to make it on Saturday otherwise I'd be popping in to support.

Probably the 2 coldest games I’ve ever attended were home and away to Sheff Utd.

Must be getting on for 30 years ago, away game up there in freezing fog, think we were 4 down in something like 20 minutes. Eventually lost 4-1. Then a home game in December around a decade ago at St Mary’s, was like sitting in a fridge. Can’t remember the score, was more more concerned with losing a limb through frostbite.

Probably the 2 coldest games I’ve ever attended were home and away to Sheff Utd.

Must be getting on for 30 years ago, away game up there in freezing fog, think we were 4 down in something like 20 minutes. Eventually lost 4-1. Then a home game in December around a decade ago at St Mary’s, was like sitting in a fridge. Can’t remember the score, was more more concerned with losing a limb through frostbite.

I went to an away cup match at Reading's old ground (Elm Park) many years ago and your average brass monkey wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes it was so cold !

A total disaster as far as I remember, we had two players sent off (Benali and Robbie Slater IIRC) and lost ! Graham Poll (of Tilehurst, nr Reading) was ref and really had it in for us !

One of my worst ever matches attended, grrr......

I went to an away cup match at Reading's old ground (Elm Park) many years ago and your average brass monkey wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes it was so cold !

A total disaster as far as I remember, we had two players sent off (Benali and Robbie Slater IIRC) and lost ! Graham Poll (of Tilehurst, nr Reading) was ref and really had it in for us !

The game Graham Poll said that it was the same as playing in August on hard pitches and if the players played at 90% it would be fine? Plus the little scrotes from the reading support pelted us with bits of the terrace that was breaking away.

F*cking awful game that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember an England U21 game at SMS (i think vs Ireland). Milner was playing to help date it ;)

Absolutely bloody freezing - the concrete was just blocks of grey ice.