Saints in the media

spyinthesky

I suppose we are used to limited coverage on MOTD and in the press.

However today's report in the Times, by James Gheerbrant, probably takes the biscuit,

Plenty of column inches, mainly fawning over Daniel James but room for a passing comparison with Marcus Rashford and a comment from OG Solskjaer.

Cedric's name was mentioned twice and that was the sum total of Man Utd's opponents.

No reference in the report about our goal, who scored it, the fact that we had to battle out the last 20 odd minutes with 10 men etc etc.

The focus was completely focused on mid table Man Utd.

Shame!!

Par for the course when you play a 'big side' unfortunately. This from the Britain's foremost football authority, Garth Crooks, in selecting Vestergaard to his team of the week:

Jannik Vestergaard: When Jannik Vestergaard out-jumped Victor Lindelof to nod home a brilliant headed equaliser against Manchester United, my immediate thought was he wouldn't have done that to Chris Smalling.

The former United centre-back, on loan at Roma, finds himself surplus to requirements - along with Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez - only for United's manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to then have the nerve to say his squad is looking a bit thin. The Red Devils are looking anything other than devilish at the moment. In fact they looked insipid and unconvincing against a 10-man Southampton side who should have been put away.

Hardly a glowing tribute to Jannik's performance...!

Amazingly the Guardian was all about OGS and him trying to get things working.

As for winkle Crooks comment about Vestergaard wouldn’t have having the same luck against Smalling - is probably bang on the money as Smalling would have had hold of big Jans shirt and VAR would have delivered a penalty for us.

:(

Wish the 2014/15 team was available to batter Pompey in a few weeks.

Didn't we lose to league one Sheffield United around that era..

My favourite bit of Saints media coverage was when Cortese banned photographers and some papers (The Sun?) Refused to mention us at all and just referenced "South Coast Club "

Even less in The Torygraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/09/02/draw-southampton-told-us-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-manchester-united/

Slightly related. I know I'm usually either pis sed or hungover watching MOTD, but where is there any reference to us in the opening credits?

Ah - me and my son spent about 5 mins trying to spot it. We are right at the very start with two other clubs. They then do a big thing on the two others in the next shot but that’s it for little old saints.

I suppose we are used to limited coverage on MOTD and in the press.

However today's report in the Times, by James Gheerbrant, probably takes the biscuit,

Plenty of column inches, mainly fawning over Daniel James but room for a passing comparison with Marcus Rashford and a comment from OG Solskjaer.

Cedric's name was mentioned twice and that was the sum total of Man Utd's opponents.

No reference in the report about our goal, who scored it, the fact that we had to battle out the last 20 odd minutes with 10 men etc etc.

The focus was completely focused on mid table Man Utd.

Shame!!

I was gobsmacked too reading that........