Rank these 8 Saints LBs

Dusic

In order of best to worst for performances in a Saints shirt, obviously relative to the league(s) they played in for us.

For me:

1. Luke Shaw

2. Ryan Bertrand

3. Dan Harding

4. Danny Fox

5. Francis Benali

6. Patrick Colleter

7. Matt Targett

8. Gregory Vignal

588f909a6c3f046b39c754e40852d977.jpgc67ff715b7319d540e012b1171914e46.jpgef223a79f2de3c21b3f34213d5c754ce.jpg7d3e4f4e237b026a8570df68ef2b038d.jpga24be2d95aee98d749a275eac7f0ef77.jpg949a002ab9dde5eba51268666f5eb591.jpg295b2e19117717e44fd8b2da921ce36e.jpg14db17a48209785b8d7536ddf28ef101.jpg

My preferred LB's in the 50 years I've been watching Saints:

1)Mark Dennis

2)David Peach.

Obviously from different eras, not sure Dennis would remain on the pitch long now, and Peach probably not as athletic as the current generation so judged from their own era.

Wayne Bridge might have been a better footballer than the above but Dennis and Peach were the most entertaining.

Mark Dennis is my absolute favourite Saints LB of all time. That said, how could you leave Franny Benali off of any list of Saints LBs? Not that great a player but an absolute legend. Oh, and Gareth Bale didn't turn out to be too bad a player; not at LB though....

Tommy Traynor, Bill Ellerington, Alf Ramsey RB but played LB as Ellerington was playing RB so I'm told, Stuart Williams.

Stuart Williams was right back not left. I don't remember Alf Ramsey ever playing lefn back, but he did play centre forward at the beginning of his time with us, and once scored four goals in a match against Lutom

The OP only asked us to rank the 8 LBs he listed. Whether or not others are better or worse than these 8 is completely immaterial. The only argument I would have with his list is for Danny Fox to be anywhere but last.

Agree. Couldn't stand him playing for us. Only dislodged Harding as he could put a decent cross in - every other part of his game, particularly positioning awareness, was awful.

David Peach and Mick Mills!

Mills was a RB. Although one of the few players who could easily make the switch to the left and still remained comfortable, and composed on the ball. I think he's largely forgotten among all the experienced 'coming to the end of their careers' signings Lawrie made, but really good signing at the time. Incredible to think of signing an experienced ex-England captain for £50,000 or whatever it was back then.

Agree. Couldn't stand him playing for us. Only dislodged Harding as he could put a decent cross in - every other part of his game, particularly positioning awareness, was awful.

i remember Fox's home debut for us (possibly against Forest) where he was a few yeards from the CB (Hoedvelt possibly), leaving almost the entire left hand third of the field for the opposition to have a free run into. Fortunately at that level very few teams either had the possession or nous to exploit it too often.

Targett

Benali...Peach ... Bertand .. Steve Mills

....LeeTodd:mcinnes: ... Hollywood ..... Harding ...

...Shaw .... Bale .... Bridge ....

Subs

Fox

Colleter

Vignal

Manager Puel, 0-0 and it goes to Pens.

Peach, Bale, Vignall, Shaw, Bridge. Job done.[/QUote]

I must applaud this because it not only includes Steve Mills but also puts him in the left back postion. Owing to his untimely injury, he didn't play often enough to get mentioned very often on here (and it was a long time ago!) but he was an outstanding prospect before the car crash and under Lawrie I'm convinced he would have become a regular full back for England during the 70s. I say full back because he seemed one of the few full backs that seemed equally comfortable at right back and left back. Given we had David Peach he probably would have gone on to establish himself at right back.

I must add Nick Holmes into the mix. More often thought of as a midfielder but played many games at left back. Wherever he played he was pivotal to the team and in my view one of our most underrated players ever. My perception was always that if Holmes was missing from the team, we lost (I've never checked the stats!). He was playing LB in this match (any excuse to post this!):

Edited by Over land and sea

In the spirit of the thread, and I’m assuming the OP wanted to make a selection of left back not list every single one. I’m assuming as they played for us, not the player they became:

1 Bertrand.

2 Harding

3 Luke Shaw

4 Benali (purely for longevity)

5 Targett

6 Danny Fox

7 Patrick Colleter (a Strachen favourite)

8. Gregory Vignal

Honerable mentions to Bale and Bridge who although didn’t play long were still quality in the time they did.

In the spirit of the thread, and I’m assuming the OP wanted to make a selection of left back not list every single one. I’m assuming as they played for us, not the player they became:

1 Bertrand.

2 Harding

3 Luke Shaw

4 Benali (purely for longevity)

5 Targett

6 Danny Fox

7 Patrick Colleter (a Strachen favourite)

8. Gregory Vignal

Honerable mentions to Bale and Bridge who although didn’t play long were still quality in the time they did.

Colleter was gone long before Strachan wasn’t he ? Played under Jones then Hoddle I thought.

My preferred LB's in the 50 years I've been watching Saints:

1)Mark Dennis

2)David Peach.

Obviously from different eras, not sure Dennis would remain on the pitch long now, and Peach probably not as athletic as the current generation so judged from their own era.

Wayne Bridge might have been a better footballer than the above but Dennis and Peach were the most entertaining.

Yep. Would put those 3 above any of the 8 listed.

Never saw Bengali or Colleter play so I can’t really comment. I’ll just put the ones I saw in order (when they played for us)

1. Bridge

2. Bertrand

3. Shaw

4. Bale

5. Le Saux

6. Harding

7. Vignal

8. Targett

9. Fox

10. Brennan

11. Dickson

12. Van Damme

13.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bernard (I’ve put him out of position somewhere over here)

I was going to put forward Peter Sillett but he was a RB ! I watched him as player/manager at Ashford Town as was in the seventies . His party piece was taking free kicks from near the half way line that usually troubled the keeper.

Peter was the son of Charlie Sillett (who was a full-back with Southampton from 1931 to 1938) and inherited his father's skills.[2] He joined the Saints in January 1949 and soon afterwards gained England Youth recognition.

Extremely well-built, weighing over 13 stone when only 18, Sillett matured quickly into a full-back of some distinction.[2]

In 1953, while he was doing his National Service in the RAF he came up against Stanley Matthews when Saints took Blackpool, the eventual winners, to an FA Cup replay.

Unfortunately, Southampton were facing mounting debts and, with this fact known to many of the country's top clubs, it wasn't too long before Sillett, together with his younger brother John, was "induced" to join Ted Drake's Chelsea, for a fee of £12,000.[2]

In his two seasons at The Dell, he made 65 appearances in all competitions and scored four goals.[1]

I was going to put forward Peter Sillett but he was a RB ! I watched him as player/manager at Ashford Town as was in the seventies . His party piece was taking free kicks from near the half way line that usually troubled the keeper.

Peter was the son of Charlie Sillett (who was a full-back with Southampton from 1931 to 1938) and inherited his father's skills.[2] He joined the Saints in January 1949 and soon afterwards gained England Youth recognition.

Extremely well-built, weighing over 13 stone when only 18, Sillett matured quickly into a full-back of some distinction.[2]

In 1953, while he was doing his National Service in the RAF he came up against Stanley Matthews when Saints took Blackpool, the eventual winners, to an FA Cup replay.

Unfortunately, Southampton were facing mounting debts and, with this fact known to many of the country's top clubs, it wasn't too long before Sillett, together with his younger brother John, was "induced" to join Ted Drake's Chelsea, for a fee of £12,000.[2]

In his two seasons at The Dell, he made 65 appearances in all competitions and scored four goals.[1]

I can imagine no Mark Dennis, because you want to limit how far back we go, but weird to miss out Bale and Bridge. Anyway, using what we'vr been given, and basing it on a mixture of ability and what they gave the team:

1. Ryan Bertrand

2. Luke Shaw (Huge potential and got a great fee, but gave less to the team than Bertrand has since)

3. Dan Harding (He was a very reliable player and an ever present during an important time)

4. Francis Benali (Mainly through character and time)

5. Matt Targett (Thought he was a decent, competent player, but never really got to contribute much)

6. Gregory Vignal (He had some ability, where I felt Danny Fox actively made the team worse)

7. Patrick Colleter (Have to admit I remember little about seeing him play)

8. Danny Fox

Mills was a RB. Although one of the few players who could easily make the switch to the left and still remained comfortable, and composed on the ball. I think he's largely forgotten among all the experienced 'coming to the end of their careers' signings Lawrie made, but really good signing at the time. Incredible to think of signing an experienced ex-England captain for £50,000 or whatever it was back then.

Got my full backs totally mixed up.

Was actually thinking of our cup winning full back captain Peter Rodrigues and got mixed up with our most successful full back (though not winning any with us) captain.

That's the most random list of left backs! I'm not sure if you ever saw Benali play, but if so I'm staggered that you rate him a better player than Targett or Colleter. Of your random choices, based solely on how they played for us in the league we were in at their best for us (so rating Fox as a championship player not PL) I'd say:

1. Shaw

2. Bertrand

3. Fox

4. Targett

5. Harding

6. Colleter

7. Benali

8. Gregory Vignal

That's the most random list of left backs! I'm not sure if you ever saw Benali play, but if so I'm staggered that you rate him a better player than Targett or Colleter. Of your random choices, based solely on how they played for us in the league we were in at their best for us (so rating Fox as a championship player not PL) I'd say:

1. Shaw

2. Bertrand

3. Fox

4. Targett

5. Harding

6. Colleter

7. Benali

8. Gregory Vignal

Harding was miles, miles better than Targett - relative to the league we played in.

In L1 Harding was one of the best LBs and a passable Championship one too.

Targett barely had a 7/10 performance in 40 odd games.

Fox was absolutely dreadful and no he didn't have a "killer left foot" as people always use to defend him. He had an average left foot which produced an okay cross every now and again, relative to the Championship. Can't remember if Harding ever played in the PL for us but he was always miles better than Fox.

Fox was absolutely dreadful and no he didn't have a "killer left foot" as people always use to defend him. He had an average left foot which produced an okay cross every now and again, relative to the Championship. Can't remember if Harding ever played in the PL for us but he was always miles better than Fox.

Absolute b*llox.

Fox was a good LB in a Championship side that was on top in most games - as we were in 2011/12 - as he was able to get forward. For me, the issue was that he failed to make the step up into the Premier League, in a side that was defending much more. He simply wasn't good enough defensively at that level. Remember him gifting Man C their winner in the first game back. Fortunately we had Luke Shaw coming through, who was a more than adequate replacement.