Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 66

Thread: Southampton’s ‘nearly men’ - who was yours?

  1. #1

    Default Southampton’s ‘nearly men’ - who was yours?

    Transfer rumours just aren’t the same anymore, use to love picking up the News of the World and reading the gossip column or teletext page 338. Linked with Scott Dobbie and Matt Piper and never more than a Ł5 million fee.

    Which ‘nearly man’ would you have liked to see join Saints?

    For me I was gutted we never got Oliver Bierhoff.
    Last edited by Monk; 08-09-2019 at 02:30 PM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,815

    Default

    Türkyilmaz after Euro 96.

  3. #3

    Default

    Javi de Pedro

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Peckham
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Witsel and Sneijder

  5. Default

    Didier Drogba..." a poor man's James Beattie"

  6. Default

    Milos Drizic, Ola By Rise, Petter Rudi. Some clubcall classics 0898 121178.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,554

    Default

    Coutinho

  8. #8

    Default

    Paulo Alves, Gary Mabbutt, Pavel Kuka, Hany Ramzy off the top of my head...

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,121

    Default Southampton’s ‘nearly men’ - who was yours?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Javi de Pedro
    God, that went on for ages with the mad Spaniard getting hysterical about the rumour

    Matt piper was another who we got excited about.

  10. #10

    Default

    Remember Petter Rudi (Norwegian) being linked for ages (no transfer window back the) before he eventually signed for Sheff Weds.

    Also Tore Andre Flo when Souness was manager.

  11. #11

    Default

    Also some Danish CB at Juventus, although share owned and on loan in Italy. We did seem to like those complicated deals from Serie A ta the time (Ramirez being another). I think we may have signed Forren instead. That went well for us of course.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Also some Danish CB at Juventus, although share owned and on loan in Italy. We did seem to like those complicated deals from Serie A ta the time (Ramirez being another). I think we may have signed Forren instead. That went well for us of course.
    Davide Astori, I think...

    EDIT: wasn't at Juventus, but was co-owned and we were linked.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Davide Astori, I think...
    I remember he was linked, although I also recall a Danish CB at some stage being touted.

  14. #14

    Default

    Going back years ago 1969/70 season Ted Bates tried to bring Tommy Gemmill (LB) from Celtic to The Dell. This made the press and it seemed an exciting prospect as he had played for their European Cup winning team, and was a full Scottish international ( at a time this was quite a recognition south of the border). He opted for Notts Forest instead.

  15. Default

    Gianluca Vialli.

  16. #16

    Default

    Neil Danns was a long time saga.

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    Milos Drizic, Ola By Rise, Petter Rudi. Some clubcall classics 0898 121178.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Remember Petter Rudi (Norwegian) being linked for ages (no transfer window back the) before he eventually signed for Sheff Weds.

    Also Tore Andre Flo when Souness was manager.
    I remember missing out on Petter Rudi & watching Norway play a few days later & he scored a 45 yard belter. I was gutted.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,554

    Default

    Markus AllBäck

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Meon Valley
    Posts
    2,292

    Default

    Drogba.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,432

    Default

    Rudi Skacel...

    Has he signed yet?

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,908

    Default

    Lawrie Mac in his first book Diary of a Season was chasing Colin Todd, who turned out to be a bit up himself and went elsewhere, and we got Charlie George instead.

  22. #22

    Default

    Zlatan !

  23. #23

    Default

    Trevor Brooking was heavily rumoured when Keegan was here, so him and Torre Andre Flo

  24. #24

    Default

    Recent times could add Dybala, Pepe and Maddison.

  25. Default

    Coutinho and Drogba

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Lawrie Mac in his first book Diary of a Season was chasing Colin Todd, who turned out to be a bit up himself and went elsewhere, and we got Charlie George instead.
    I thought it was "the wife wanted to stay up north" line on Todd.

    Another I recall from the Souness era was the Oxford Utd CB, (first name escapes me) Elliot, who went to Leicester.

  27. #27

    Default

    Federico Arias never played for us despite the hype.

  28. #28

    Default

    That's right. This is the guy you're thinking of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_S%C3%B8rensen

    Hasn't done much since, but then neither did Forren.

  29. #29

    Default

    Oops, the post above was meant to be a quote reply to Badger. My bad.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bitterne Park
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    DeMarcus Beasley - midfielder from the MLS that seemed to drag on and on and we were close to sealing it before it fell apart. Signed for Man City a few years later and turned out to be a bit crap after all, he even scored against us in the cup ironically.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shilton's 6 yard box
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    Milos Drizic, Ola By Rise, Petter Rudi. Some clubcall classics 0898 121178.
    I have a vague recollection that Milos Drizic even had the two-page new signing treatment in the Programme, before not getting a work permit.

    Was it Neil Ruddock we got in the end? Whatever happened to him....

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,542

    Default

    Paul Gardner Allen of Microsoft fame.

  33. #33

    Default

    Matt Elliot.

    Bierhoff for me.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,288

    Default

    Didn’t we try to sign Trevor Francis in around 82/83 but something went wrong and we ended up with Frank Worthington who only scored a couple of goals the season we finished second? Surely if we’d have got him we’d have won something in that period between 81-85.

    I think it was In Strachans book he also said we could have got Dider Drogba before he went to Marseille for around Ł2m but Lowe knocked it back because he was too similar to James Beattie

  35. #35

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Davide Astori, I think...

    EDIT: wasn't at Juventus, but was co-owned and we were linked.
    We even had a song for him too

    What’s the story, David’s Astori weeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllll

  36. #36

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    Milos Drizic, Ola By Rise, Petter Rudi. Some clubcall classics 0898 121178.
    Clubcall was wonderfully awful. I remember them announcing we had signed Alun Armstrong, who was a very talented young Stockport striker in the mid90s only for him to sign for Middlesbrough a few hours later

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,062

    Default

    Rudi Skacel

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    That's right. This is the guy you're thinking of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_S%C3%B8rensen

    Hasn't done much since, but then neither did Forren.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    Oops, the post above was meant to be a quote reply to Badger. My bad.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Badger; 09-09-2019 at 08:16 AM.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    @matsmithdesign
    Posts
    2,678

    Default

    Much more recent WTF one was Michael Owen, glad that never happened.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,554

    Default

    Tony Lynam and the Pinnacle consortium
    Paul Allen

  41. #41

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,288

    Default

    More recently James Maddison chose Leicester over us and look how good he’s turned out.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Didn’t we try to sign Trevor Francis in around 82/83 but something went wrong and we ended up with Frank Worthington who only scored a couple of goals the season we finished second? Surely if we’d have got him we’d have won something in that period between 81-85.

    I think it was In Strachans book he also said we could have got Dider Drogba before he went to Marseille for around Ł2m but Lowe knocked it back because he was too similar to James Beattie
    My recollection of the Trevor Francis story was 1981/2 when we were top of the league, and Lawrie tried to bring him in to go for it that season. The 'deal' was agreed between the managers - how things have changed - Lawrie and John Bond, but the City chairman Peter Swales pulled the plug in fear of a fans backlash.

    This wasn't even a rumour at the time though it only came out later.

    Not sure how this would have worked though as you wonder if we could accommodate KK, Channon and Francis in the same team. Plus I think City wanted Steve Williams (as I recall), although they signed Graham Baker the following season so may have been him in part exchange.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    18,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Coutinho

    And Craig MacKail Smith

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shilton's 6 yard box
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    My recollection of the Trevor Francis story was 1981/2 when we were top of the league, and Lawrie tried to bring him in to go for it that season. The 'deal' was agreed between the managers - how things have changed - Lawrie and John Bond, but the City chairman Peter Swales pulled the plug in fear of a fans backlash.

    This wasn't even a rumour at the time though it only came out later.

    Not sure how this would have worked though as you wonder if we could accommodate KK, Channon and Francis in the same team. Plus I think City wanted Steve Williams (as I recall), although they signed Graham Baker the following season so may have been him in part exchange.
    I guess it would have been when Steve Moran injures his back putting him out for the rest of the season? (iirc)

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    And Craig MacKail Smith
    Good one - I'll bung in Gary Hooper.

  46. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,554

    Default

    Gary Rowett

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,446
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Freddy Adu

    That American or Mexican guy we were linked with for ages. Wish I could remember his name!

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    281

    Default

    We pulled out of signing Jamie Vardy at the last minute as we werent sure he could make the step up from Fleetwood, and instead opted for Tadanari Lee, as he was an international and could help us tap into the asian markets.

    Wonder what happened to both of them!?

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,121

    Default Southampton’s ‘nearly men’ - who was yours?

    Oliver bierhoff

  50. #50

    Default

    Zlatan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •