Southampton’s ‘nearly men’ - who was yours?

Monk

Transfer rumours just aren’t the same anymore, use to love picking up the News of the World and reading the gossip column or teletext page 338. Linked with Scott Dobbie and Matt Piper and never more than a £5 million fee.

Which ‘nearly man’ would you have liked to see join Saints?

For me I was gutted we never got Oliver Bierhoff.

Edited by Monk

Also some Danish CB at Juventus, although share owned and on loan in Italy. We did seem to like those complicated deals from Serie A ta the time (Ramirez being another). I think we may have signed Forren instead. That went well for us of course.

Also some Danish CB at Juventus, although share owned and on loan in Italy. We did seem to like those complicated deals from Serie A ta the time (Ramirez being another). I think we may have signed Forren instead. That went well for us of course.

Davide Astori, I think...

EDIT: wasn't at Juventus, but was co-owned and we were linked.

Going back years ago 1969/70 season Ted Bates tried to bring Tommy Gemmill (LB) from Celtic to The Dell. This made the press and it seemed an exciting prospect as he had played for their European Cup winning team, and was a full Scottish international ( at a time this was quite a recognition south of the border). He opted for Notts Forest instead.

Milos Drizic, Ola By Rise, Petter Rudi. Some clubcall classics 0898 121178.

Remember Petter Rudi (Norwegian) being linked for ages (no transfer window back the) before he eventually signed for Sheff Weds.

Also Tore Andre Flo when Souness was manager.

I remember missing out on Petter Rudi & watching Norway play a few days later & he scored a 45 yard belter. I was gutted.

Lawrie Mac in his first book Diary of a Season was chasing Colin Todd, who turned out to be a bit up himself and went elsewhere, and we got Charlie George instead.

I thought it was "the wife wanted to stay up north" line on Todd.

Another I recall from the Souness era was the Oxford Utd CB, (first name escapes me) Elliot, who went to Leicester.

DeMarcus Beasley - midfielder from the MLS that seemed to drag on and on and we were close to sealing it before it fell apart. Signed for Man City a few years later and turned out to be a bit crap after all, he even scored against us in the cup ironically.

Didn’t we try to sign Trevor Francis in around 82/83 but something went wrong and we ended up with Frank Worthington who only scored a couple of goals the season we finished second? Surely if we’d have got him we’d have won something in that period between 81-85.

I think it was In Strachans book he also said we could have got Dider Drogba before he went to Marseille for around £2m but Lowe knocked it back because he was too similar to James Beattie

Milos Drizic, Ola By Rise, Petter Rudi. Some clubcall classics 0898 121178.

Clubcall was wonderfully awful. I remember them announcing we had signed Alun Armstrong, who was a very talented young Stockport striker in the mid90s only for him to sign for Middlesbrough a few hours later

Didn’t we try to sign Trevor Francis in around 82/83 but something went wrong and we ended up with Frank Worthington who only scored a couple of goals the season we finished second? Surely if we’d have got him we’d have won something in that period between 81-85.

I think it was In Strachans book he also said we could have got Dider Drogba before he went to Marseille for around £2m but Lowe knocked it back because he was too similar to James Beattie

My recollection of the Trevor Francis story was 1981/2 when we were top of the league, and Lawrie tried to bring him in to go for it that season. The 'deal' was agreed between the managers - how things have changed - Lawrie and John Bond, but the City chairman Peter Swales pulled the plug in fear of a fans backlash.

This wasn't even a rumour at the time though it only came out later.

Not sure how this would have worked though as you wonder if we could accommodate KK, Channon and Francis in the same team. Plus I think City wanted Steve Williams (as I recall), although they signed Graham Baker the following season so may have been him in part exchange.

My recollection of the Trevor Francis story was 1981/2 when we were top of the league, and Lawrie tried to bring him in to go for it that season. The 'deal' was agreed between the managers - how things have changed - Lawrie and John Bond, but the City chairman Peter Swales pulled the plug in fear of a fans backlash.

This wasn't even a rumour at the time though it only came out later.

Not sure how this would have worked though as you wonder if we could accommodate KK, Channon and Francis in the same team. Plus I think City wanted Steve Williams (as I recall), although they signed Graham Baker the following season so may have been him in part exchange.

I guess it would have been when Steve Moran injures his back putting him out for the rest of the season? (iirc)

We pulled out of signing Jamie Vardy at the last minute as we werent sure he could make the step up from Fleetwood, and instead opted for Tadanari Lee, as he was an international and could help us tap into the asian markets.

Wonder what happened to both of them!?