Southampton’s ‘nearly men’ - who was yours?

Monk

Thomas Brolin anyone? Also LMac tried to sign La Ling when we were pushing to win Div One but the board did not back him. I seem to recall he said he could have got us over the line.

Back in the 60s I remember Rod Thomas full back from Swindon, Wilf Smith full back from Sheff Wednesday. Keith Newton from Blackburn. Later Colin Todd knocked us back in the 70s. Howard Kendall was one Ted Bates chased, also a guy called Phillips from Dundee around the time we signed Jim Steele.

Gary Lineker.

After Lawrie and Ball took over the media got wind of the fact he had attended a function in Winchester where Lawrie was also present. Was reported they were seen talking and it was in the tabloids as Lawrie attracting a player coming to the end of his career (as he'd done successfully as manager). Linker was coming to the end of his time in Japan so press assumed he was after a final payday in England.

Lawrie dismissed it saying David Gower was also at the function, and he wasn't looking to sign him either.

Weren't we supposed to be on the verge of signing Jamie Vardy from Fleetwood before he went to Leicester?

I'm very glad that didn't happen. Yes, he's an accomplished PL goalscorer. But he's also a c*nt.

You wouldnt think he was a **** if he'd been banging in 20 goals a season for Saints for the past 4 years

Weren't we supposed to be on the verge of signing Jamie Vardy from Fleetwood before he went to Leicester?

I'm very glad that didn't happen. Yes, he's an accomplished PL goalscorer. But he's also a c*nt.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. From what I've heard, Beattie was a bit of a c*nt, still happy he was on our team though. I'm glad we had Lallana too, come to that.

Mido is one that went on for a while.

Pavel Kuka when Souness was manager.

Remember we were in for Ralf Weber when Dave Jones was manager and was excited as he'd been capped for Germany.

David Livermore and Darren Purse were 2 when Redknapp was here.

Also remember Burley wanting Norris from Plymouth but us making a pathetic offer for him

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. From what I've heard, Beattie was a bit of a c*nt, still happy he was on our team though. I'm glad we had Lallana too, come to that.

Beattie and Lallana might have been a bit 'Billy big boll*cks' from time to time, but they both generally came across OK.

Vardy is a different matter entirely. He strikes me as someone who would sooner stick a bottle in your face than shake your hand if you bumped into him on a night out. I would have found it very difficult to support him if he was in a Saints shirt.

Yeah, but if he's played for us he'd have been a good sort of c*nt, that's how we role!