Sheff Utd 0-1 Saints - Post Match Relief

Ohio Saint

Another thoroughly enjoyable away day. Starting to become hard to score against which is key to teams like us if we want to be competing in top half any time soon. Think some of the posters have been harsh on Vest who admittedly got caught out on header first half but equally did lots of good things too.

Thought Romeu and Hoj were superb, JWP and Cedric both did really well playing out of position for the team and Boufal looked the classiest player on the pitch. Special mention to Adams who had his best game so far and looked a real handful as a centre forward today. You could see the potential that made us sign him today.

Great result Saints! Needed that as tough run of fixtures coming....

Missed the game, but seen the goal (beauty) and highlights (Adam's unlucky, VAR thanks)

Quick flick through the match thread and the usual suspects embarrassing themselves :lol: "get Djenepo off" idiots :lol:

Need a city comeback to complete a decent day of results

If you'd actually bothered to watch the game then you'd have known why. Djenepo was being playing as a lwb in the first half and he was garbage at it. When moved forward, him and Boufal were our best players.

Pillock

One of the best games I can remember from Boufal, though he's still got a long way to go. Assume he had a tough international break because he tired quite early.

Vestergaard was good on the ball but entirely at fault for McGoldrick going through on goal. Still got mistakes in him.

Got to say I was impressed with Sheffield United first half, they knock it around nicely.

Thought today was one the the best team performances I've seen for a long while. So good, even Sharpie got involved to assist us. Great away day and really thought we looked a cut above for the majority of the game. Felt like we controlled the game very well. Even when they 'scored' I wasn't worried...maybe that was the beer!

Feel like we're onto something with this Hassenhutl fella. :-)

Thought today was one the the best team performances I've seen for a long while. So good, even Sharpie got involved to assist us. Great away day and really thought we looked a cut above for the majority of the game. Felt like we controlled the game very well. Even when they 'scored' I wasn't worried...maybe that was the beer!

Feel like we're onto something with this Hassenhutl fella. :-)

Not sure I agree with that. Yes we were unlucky with Adams not taking his early chances but we got opened up multiple times and SU really should have scored which would have been a different game.

It's fascinating quite how much the VAR decision changed the momentum of the game. Ignited the away end anyway.

Lastly, best performance by Boufal for a long time - best player on the pitch.

Very satisfying victory, and an improvement but not sure that we are a much better team than SU - they are our level and on another day they would beat us.

Not sure I agree with that. Yes we were unlucky with Adams not taking his early chances but we got opened up multiple times and SU really should have scored which would have been a different game.

It's fascinating quite how much the VAR decision changed the momentum of the game. Ignited the away end anyway.

Lastly, best performance by Boufal for a long time - best player on the pitch.

Very satisfying victory, and an improvement but not sure that we are a much better team than SU - they are our level and on another day they would beat us.

Yes, exactly.

It was a well fought win and we had more quality than them in the final third but we were nothing special and if they had a decent striker we would have conceded at least once.

Let's not forget, this is a team with McGoldrick, Sharp and some homeless bloke as it's strike force, FFS.

We are slightly better than the worst teams and not as good as most of the mid-table teams, however if we have Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond on form then we at least finally have some players capable of winning a match with a bit of magic.

What's hilarious about that is for our goal their player literally tried to wrestle Djenepo to the ground, a clear professional foul and Djenepo didn't go down and just embarrassed their centre-backs. Yet they complain about our players going down to easily, massive amounts of sour grapes there.

Not really sure what Wilder was talking about either, aside McGoldricks 1v1 saved by Gunn, we had all the best chances in that game and pretty much every highlight package shows that. They had 17 shots, but only got 4 on target and they needed a wonder save and the post to stop us scoring more.

What's hilarious about that is for our goal their player literally tried to wrestle Djenepo to the ground, a clear professional foul and Djenepo didn't go down and just embarrassed their centre-backs. Yet they complain about our players going down to easily, massive amounts of sour grapes there.

Not really sure what Wilder was talking about either, aside McGoldricks 1v1 saved by Gunn, we had all the best chances in that game and pretty much every highlight package shows that. They had 17 shots, but only got 4 on target and they needed a wonder save and the post to stop us scoring more.

Small-time northern mentality. They always think everyone's out to get them and are constantly hard-done by. It's a sort of Liverpool-lite.

Incorrect to say Adams didn't take his chances early in the game. Both shots were on goal, subject to one just hitting the upright, while the downwards header was only stopped by a fantastic save. As for the claim of handball, against JWP, no luck was involved. The ref had it right, in accordance with the new handball rules. That is confirmed by VAR not intervening, which, as a penalty decision, it had the power to do. Some, so called fans, would do better supporting the team instead of looking for excuses to be critical;.

One of the best games I can remember from Boufal, though he's still got a long way to go. Assume he had a tough international break because he tired quite early.

Vestergaard was good on the ball but entirely at fault for McGoldrick going through on goal. Still got mistakes in him.

Got to say I was impressed with Sheffield United first half, they knock it around nicely.

Don’t agree really

We gave away some very daft chances and against a slightly better team, we would have not won that

Yeah just seen that on MOTD. Absolutely baffled that VAR didn't overturn that. We would rightly be fuming if that was the other way round.

Seriously? The ball just hit his arm after travelling through a bunch of players trying to head it. Never a pen and rightly not given.

I wouldn't be fuming at all.

Pretty much the only thing Mason got wrong yesterday was not giving us a really obvious corner in the second half.

Seriously? The ball just hit his arm after travelling through a bunch of players trying to head it. Never a pen and rightly not given.

I wouldn't be fuming at all.

Pretty much the only thing Mason got wrong yesterday was not giving us a really obvious corner in the second half.

His arm was out in a very unnatural position and it prevented a clear scoring opportunity as without the touch off his arm the ball would have fallen to the attacker at the back post.

Agree about that corner though. That was bizarre. Long deliberately let it go out because the last touch quite clearly came off the Utd player.

Aggrieved my arse. These sides should realise their huff and puff is limited and on borrowed time if can’t finish. . You played a sophisticated side that outclassed you (of sorts)

Want to stay up just take your chances against us - we are quite liberal with them.

Edited by whelk

Aggrieved my arse. These sides should realise their huff and puff is limited and on borrowed time if can’t finish. . You played a sophisticated side that outclassed you (of sorts)

Want to stay up just take your chances against us - we are quite liberal enough with them.

Quite. It's amusing reading that thread from their forum complaining they had the better chances and should have won. The only really clear chance they had was when McGoaldrought got away from JV but fluffed his shot and made it easy for Gunn.

Their keeper made the best save of the match from Adams' header in the first half. And his earlier shot against the post was really unlucky, cos he hit that superbly. His goals will undoubtedly start to come soon.

Re Betrand: Either he was injured then it is in the normal time frame to bring him back. Takes time.

Or: B. disagreed with the style RH wants to play and RH wants to bring him first in a shape, physically and mentally, so that he can be an asset to the team and to his system. In this case RH will bring him again only when he knows B. is fully loyal to his style of play.

I love the irony of them accusing our players of going down with the merest touch, when despite being pulled back outrageously by their defender, Djenepo stayed on his feet to score the winning goal. And the commentary I was listening to praised Mason for allowing the game to flow, instead of blowing for every niggly little foul, as many of them being made by Sheffield Utd. Thank god he didn't blow for that blatant foul on Djenepo.

So which Saints players were guilty of falling over at the slightest of touches, as they claim?

They probably think Hojbjerg was faking injury, but he did get a whack on the jaw.

Other than that, goodness knows. Mason was very tolerant of that homeless chap fouling constantly.

Another thoroughly enjoyable away day. Starting to become hard to score against which is key to teams like us if we want to be competing in top half any time soon. Think some of the posters have been harsh on Vest who admittedly got caught out on header first half but equally did lots of good things too.

Thought Romeu and Hoj were superb, JWP and Cedric both did really well playing out of position for the team and Boufal looked the classiest player on the pitch. Special mention to Adams who had his best game so far and looked a real handful as a centre forward today. You could see the potential that made us sign him today.

Agree with all of this. Beautiful day in Sheffield, good stadium, good away performance.

Boufal is on the bus and will be a huge asset, Adams ran all the right lines and will score soon, and Moussa's got a bit of the X-factor which will produce some great moments this season. And we've still got Redders on the bench (and Danny) (and O'bamefi) (and Shane).

Also agree that Rom and PEH were superb, Oriel especially. But unlike the forwards above, I'm a bit worried about what happens if/when either or both are out. With Lemina and Reed both out on loan I think we look pretty thin at centre mid.

Good to see Yoshi on the pitch - he calmed things down and played it simple.

Roll on Bournemouth.

Agree with all of this. Beautiful day in Sheffield, good stadium, good away performance.

Boufal is on the bus and will be a huge asset, Adams ran all the right lines and will score soon, and Moussa's got a bit of the X-factor which will produce some great moments this season. And we've still got Redders on the bench (and Danny) (and O'bamefi) (and Shane).

Also agree that Rom and PEH were superb, Oriel especially. But unlike the forwards above, I'm a bit worried about what happens if/when either or both are out. With Lemina and Reed both out on loan I think we look pretty thin at centre mid.

Good to see Yoshi on the pitch - he calmed things down and played it simple.

Roll on Bournemouth.

We're thinner than Chris Marsden's barnet at centre mid, mush!

If I'm honest, I thought it was quite a nice flowing game - the ref' seemed to allow it to flow. A lot of what I saw was us controlling the 2nd half with controlled possession, not play acting or rolling around. I think some of our players are wise to the foul and they can take it, but that's part of football I guess. The top players in the world are like that.

I don't think we were particularly dirty though. It was a fair contest I felt between two teams who gave it a go at both ends, frantic and end to end. Evenly matched really, but a moment of star quality made the difference.

Home fans will always feel a bit bitter and aggrieved, but the reality is that in my opinion we just took control of the game in that 2nd half and we had that little bit of extra quality up front which meant we took our chance. That’s what experience does.

His arm was out in a very unnatural position and it prevented a clear scoring opportunity as without the touch off his arm the ball would have fallen to the attacker at the back post.

Agree about that corner though. That was bizarre. Long deliberately let it go out because the last touch quite clearly came off the Utd player.

You think that their player was going to chest it in from there? Seriously?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It's basic cheating but I suppose we've got to get used to it when a team is 70% international players and managed by a a grey pyjama wearing foreigner who doesn't have such a good sense of fair play and honest contest.

Made I laugh ....

Wish we could be managed by a flat cap wearing Yorkshireman who keeps a ferret down his pants, has a whippet by his side, and lives on a diet of mushy peas. Life would be so much better. Sorry to genuine Blades fans, and Yorkshire folk, but just demonstrating how the stereotypes can be wrong.

just back from a Yorkshire weekend. Thought the front three really linked well together. There was one brilliant fast break in the second half, that included a deft touch from Boufal that could have easily led to a goal had Hoj picked a better pass. Not seen that kind of quick one touch stuff for a long time and at that point we looked a real threat. I dont know if we can repeat that agains the better sides, but it was great to watch and very encouraging. We are never going to be a top four side, but that shouldn't mean we can take teams on. To do that you need some flair up front and we seem to have found it. I know this might be a flash in the pan, but if not it will be a good season to follow us away from home.

His arm is like that because he is being bundled in the back by the Sheff Utd player, he couldn't see the ball probably at all or at least until the last moment and even if the ball had gone through to the Sheff Utd player it would have been stomach height and a near impossible finish, if he tried to bring it down then he would have got blocked or tackled easily.

Would have been a massively harsh penalty as it was completely accidental and JWP knew nothing about it.

If that had happened against us and hadn't been given I would not have been fuming.

All these claims for handballs in the box are getting silly to be honest, people kicking it at defenders from like 5 yards or people being expected to somehow remove their arms from their body from balls that come at them from point blank.

Re Red Card: i saw parts of a Sheffield game a few weeks ago on TV, maybe against Chelsea. The commenting expert repeatedly said that some Sh. players play so brutally that future referees should take care of this brutality of some. I was really worried about getting injuries on Saturday. But Sheffield played correct, more or less, at least compared to the match I saw. Maybe the referee was a bit more sensitiv when giving the red card, as educational means.

Not according to the ref it wasn't so I'll take his judgement over yours any day. Like me you've only seen it on MotD and it's impossible to judge it from that.

Do you think Redmond should get back in automatically or should he have to await his chance? Difficult to drop Sofiane or Moussa now.

Pretty easy to drop Boufal for me. He was about as good on Saturday, his best performance in ages, as Redmond is every game. Chances are he'll get another chance to prove himself on Friday though, with Redmond coming off the bench if he's in the squad at all.

Edited by DuncanRG