Boufal and Djnepo

washsaint

Two very mercurial but really exciting talents. Making Saints fun to watch again - I could watch Boufal's skilful feet all day long and the way he glides past players.

Thank goodness he was not sold in the summer - he is like a brand new signing. Well done to Ralph for reintegrating him into the team.

With these two in the side I would sincerely hope we will finish top half of the table.

Add Redmond and it’s a tasty attacking trio, Ings and Adams should be scoring loads this season. JWP will play his part too, but it’s tricky to know where he’ll fit in regularly. If we can get the defence right, we should at least be able to beat the beatable teams, and might even give big boys a run for their money! I still think 4231 suits this side.

And to think people wanted to bin Boufal off for 8-9 mil this summer.

Mess

Absolutely.

I've taken alot of stick for backing Boufal and there will be a lot of egg on faces just now.

Saying that he still needs to deliver consistently and does he get in the first 11 when Redmond is fit?

Watching Boufal's face now and again when he lost the ball, that look of "how dare they do that", and those occasional moments when he stops dead afterwards show that the Boufal of old is still there under the surface.

However, he's definitely trying harder under RH than any other Saints manager he's played for, so hopefully it stays that way and I'll be very happy if it does (... but there's this niggling doubt in my mind that it will, and also that if in the Summer a French team had make a realistic accepted bid for him he'd have gone like a shot).

Boufal is flying at the moment, looks like a player re-born. I remember quite a few posters asking for the club to get Boufal back and see what Ralph can do with him, well there you go. He's done a job on him for sure.

Moussa is still very, very raw...but he's got some real ability in his locker. Reminds me of Mane in the early days, he could trip over his own feet one min and then go on a storming run the next.

A very exciting attacking pair to be honest. Bring Redmond back into the mix and that attack, for the first time in what feels like years, is actually full of ability and pace. It will make a huge difference over the season.

Watching Boufal's face now and again when he lost the ball, that look of "how dare they do that", and those occasional moments when he stops dead afterwards show that the Boufal of old is still there under the surface.

However, he's definitely trying harder under RH than any other Saints manager he's played for, so hopefully it stays that way and I'll be very happy if it does (... but there's this niggling doubt in my mind that it will, and also that if in the Summer a French team had make a realistic accepted bid for him he'd have gone like a shot).

Are you also annoyed by Shane Long's facial expressions and habit of standing with his hands on his hips bemoaning cruel fate when he loses the ball?

Boufal is flying at the moment, looks like a player re-born. I remember quite a few posters asking for the club to get Boufal back and see what Ralph can do with him, well there you go. He's done a job on him for sure.

Moussa is still very, very raw...but he's got some real ability in his locker. Reminds me of Mane in the early days, he could trip over his own feet one min and then go on a storming run the next.

A very exciting attacking pair to be honest. Bring Redmond back into the mix and that attack, for the first time in what feels like years, is actually full of ability and pace. It will make a huge difference over the season.

Personally feel the Djenepo & Mane comparison is a bit of a lazy one.

Djenepo uses the ball well (can't remember him tripping over his own feet?) and is much physically stronger than Mane was when he first played for us.

They both dribble, definitely, but are quite different players.

It’s so nice to have options in attack now. Pace & tricks in abundance now, as well as different options.

Can’t wait for Redmond to get fit now.

Personally feel the Djenepo & Mane comparison is a bit of a lazy one.

Djenepo uses the ball well (can't remember him tripping over his own feet?) and is much physically stronger than Mane was when he first played for us.

They both dribble, definitely, but are quite different players.

Agree with this entirely. I think Djenepo has better close control and a more tricks than Mane.

I think Mane is a more natural finisher and his movement off the ball is in another league to Djenepo, though.

Mane also has an incredible change of direction and ability to beat a play from a standing start, amazing footballer. Djenepo is going to be a lot of fun, glad he’s made a quick start because we all know these types of player don’t tend to get much patience round here!

All three of boufal Adams and djenepo were great yesterday. Nice to see us attacking with such pace and flair.

Regarding the djenepo/ mane comparisons gotta say djenepo is starting hotter then mane did for us.. I was expecting him to be a bit blistering pace and raw, but so far his finishing has been ace the Brighton strike was a great finish..

I’ve said it before but I still think boufal and djenepo have much higher ceilings then redmond. And could be our next two huge players.. hope we give boufal a contract extension personally, if he lights it up this season and we don’t we might lose him in a bad deal..

Got a horrible feeling when redmond comes back we will prob end up with these two on the bench though, hope Ralph has more sense

All three of boufal Adams and djenepo were great yesterday. Nice to see us attacking with such pace and flair.

Regarding the djenepo/ mane comparisons gotta say djenepo is starting hotter then mane did for us.. I was expecting him to be a bit blistering pace and raw, but so far his finishing has been ace the Brighton strike was a great finish..

I’ve said it before but I still think boufal and djenepo have much higher ceilings then redmond. And could be our next two huge players.. hope we give boufal a contract extension personally, if he lights it up this season and we don’t we might lose him in a bad deal..

Got a horrible feeling when redmond comes back we will prob end up with these two on the bench though, hope Ralph has more sense

Don’t see Sofiane signing a new deal with us.

He’ll have a good season and then sign for a big european club on a cut price fee as he’ll only have one year left.

He has consistently said that we are a stepping stone club for him, which is fine by me.

I prefer to make the most of his ability this season and sell him next summer than to have sold him 1 month ago without knowing if he could play in the PL or not.

He’ll have a good season and then sign for a big european club on a cut price fee as he’ll only have one year left.

He has consistently said that we are a stepping stone club for him, which is fine by me.

I prefer to make the most of his ability this season and sell him next summer than to have sold him 1 month ago without knowing if he could play in the PL or not.

I think maybe him signing a new deal would be down to timing, if we were to offer him one now whilst his jumping to a better club options are not that great hence him still being here, I think he would consider it.. but if we leave it and let him showcase his ability whilst not making a move other clubs could become interested and then it could materialise like you say.

When's he said we're a stepping stone club?

He on you winner list cupcake?

When's he said we're a stepping stone club?

On 19th November 2017, when he appeared on Canal football club show on Canal plus channel in France, he said it very clearly that he sees his career in differents steps that he wanted to succeed at a mid table club like Saints before being ready to play for a big club.

He could have gone to Barcelona, Chelsea or PSG in 2016 but he wanted to come to a club where he could play regularly. That was the initial plan, didn t really work out like that as he had 2 clown managers in Pellegrino and Hughes who didn t know what to do with him.

Plus when he was interviewed by Adam Blackmore 2 weeks ago, he said that he didn t want to leave Southampton by the small door and wanted to do it via the big door so you can clearly interpret what that means.

I've been saying it ever since he first got fit after we signed him that the manager has to play him and keep on playing him. Giving him 20 minute cameos is no good, and starting him and then immediately dropping him should he not set the world on fire is no good either. Flair players need an arm round them and faith shown in them. Not all tricks come off and players need to be encouraged to keep trying.

Class players can change a game in a moment.

Been saying it for a while. Get all 3 of them (Redmond) playing behind Adams.

With a rejuvenated Romeu anchoring and Hojberg alongside. It really could be one of our best seasons for a while.

Those that dismiss it saying we’ll got torn a new one, well we played Jwp alongside Boufal and Djenepo and we made loads of chances. Bringing Redmond in in place of Jwp, I don’t think it will suddenly make us drown...

Anyway.., Boufal and Djenepo. You love to see it.

Class players can change a game in a moment.

Been saying it for a while. Get all 3 of them (Redmond) playing behind Adams.

With a rejuvenated Romeu anchoring and Hojberg alongside. It really could be one of our best seasons for a while.

Those that dismiss it saying we’ll got torn a new one, well we played Jwp alongside Boufal and Djenepo and we made loads of chances. Bringing Redmond in in place of Jwp, I don’t think it will suddenly make us drown...

Anyway.., Boufal and Djenepo. You love to see it.

When JWP played beside Boufal, Djenepo was playing left wing back and our flank was completely open with the channel alongside Vestergaard continuously exposed.

When Boufal played alongside Djenepo, JWP was playing right wing back.

Which do you want if JWP is dropped, Redmond at right wing back or Djenepo at left wing back?

That second half performance was like Saints of old, I actually feel a glimmer of excitement about this season now, if they can get their shooting boots on they'll get 20 between them.

Obviously Djenepo needs to start in the more attacking role on Friday, and if he comes through that test well he's the obvious choice (along with Ings simply because he's a Southampton lad) vs Skates

Garth Crooks has picked Djenepo for his team of the week. How long until we get the inevitable ‘Liverpool want Saints winger Djenepo’ headlines in the papers?

What a surprise, player scores a goal and is in his team of the week. Why is he given air time, honestly. Romeu would have been my pick ahead of anyone, but he doesn't even get mentioned.

Ahh he's so irritating.

What a surprise, player scores a goal and is in his team of the week. Why is he given air time, honestly. Romeu would have been my pick ahead of anyone, but he doesn't even get mentioned.

Ahh he's so irritating.

Hojbjerg was given MOTM by the Beeb too but unless they score a goal, it's rare they get into Garth Crook's TOTW.

Criticism of Boufal has always been he looks flashy but does he ever deliver anything tangible. He may be doing some skillful dribbles and the like but he needs to be delivering in terms of goals/assists. 3 goals max per season (even if one is always a goal of the season contender) isn't good enough.

Djenepo has already got a Boufal season of goals in just 2 starts.

Criticism of Boufal has always been he looks flashy but does he ever deliver anything tangible. He may be doing some skillful dribbles and the like but he needs to be delivering in terms of goals/assists. 3 goals max per season (even if one is always a goal of the season contender) isn't good enough.

TBF, Boufal has got 2 assists so far this season, that equates to ca 15 assists over the season. Thats enough to match Hazard / De Bruyne over the last few seasons. Long may it continue!

~!

Sorry, who set up Adams' shot that hit the post then?

Well he's looking flashy and delivering for me. Work rate has improved, tracking back, winning possession to start attacks, hitting the target, assists. What a talent.

When JWP played beside Boufal, Djenepo was playing left wing back and our flank was completely open with the channel alongside Vestergaard continuously exposed.

When Boufal played alongside Djenepo, JWP was playing right wing back.

Which do you want if JWP is dropped, Redmond at right wing back or Djenepo at left wing back?

Play 4-2-3-1

Play 4-2-3-1

That's not really the point I'm making, though. Your original post said that picking Djenepo alongside Boufal and JWP didn't stop us from creating loads of chances.

My point was that to do that, Ralph had to play one of those players in a defensive role.

We created a lot of chances against Sheffield Utd, but they created even more against us. It was their lack of quality in front of goal that let us win.

If we had been playing a better team, then we would have drawn (at best).

If we play an even more open formation against better teams than Sheffield Utd, we'll probably concede more than we score.

I also think that Ralph would probably prefer to have one of the three as an impact sub towards the end of the game to run at tired defenders.

TBF, Boufal has got 2 assists so far this season, that equates to ca 15 assists over the season. Thats enough to match Hazard / De Bruyne over the last few seasons. Long may it continue!

~!

On this point Boufal actually has one of the highest (5th) Expected Assists in the league which means he's getting good positions and making key passes.

https://understat.com/league/EPL *

* Not sure how accurate this site is, but as Opta doesn't publish its Expected Goals or Assist it's the best we can go on.

That's not really the point I'm making, though. Your original post said that picking Djenepo alongside Boufal and JWP didn't stop us from creating loads of chances.

My point was that to do that, Ralph had to play one of those players in a defensive role.

We created a lot of chances against Sheffield Utd, but they created even more against us. It was their lack of quality in front of goal that let us win.

If we had been playing a better team, then we would have drawn (at best).

If we play an even more open formation against better teams than Sheffield Utd, we'll probably concede more than we score.

I also think that Ralph would probably prefer to have one of the three as an impact sub towards the end of the game to run at tired defenders.

4-2-3-1 means more security to back line, not less.

When the “3” are up the pitch, there are 2 central midfielders and 4 defenders behind them.

I hope this helps.

4-2-3-1 means more security to back line, not less.

When the “3” are up the pitch, there are 2 central midfielders and 4 defenders behind them.

I hope this helps.

When those 2 midfielders are the same pair that play in front of 3 centre backs in the formation Ralph used on Saturday (5-2-2-1/3-4-2-1) rather than 2 in a 4-2-3-1, the formation has less security, not more.

Hope this helps.

When those 2 midfielders are the same pair that play in front of 3 centre backs in the formation Ralph used on Saturday (5-2-2-1/3-4-2-1) rather than 2 in a 4-2-3-1, the formation has less security, not more.

Hope this helps.

Not really. In a 3421 the wing backs are expected to be a large source of attacking threat. In a 4231 the fullbacks tend to stay more defensive thus making us less vulnerable down the wings. On the most part the compressed 3 cbs does make us stronger through the middle. Neither is more defensive than the other really, they have different defensive strengths and weaknesses.

I'd say moving to a 4231 would be good as we were often beaten by long diagonals aimed at our left back position floating over vestergaards head, to which he was somewhat unfairly blamed regardless of him being exposed by lack of fullback or wingback and having to guard a lot of pitch.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Hope this helps.

Sorry mate. Going to have to leave it there.

I’m not up at your level of critique.

[emoji1360]

Ahh he's so irritating.

I, like you, should really just ignore it, but it is so frustrating that someone can be so obviously terrible at their job - a job most people would love and no doubt lots of alternatives are available - and yet they continue to get away with it!

Edited by mrfahaji

Not really. In a 3421 the wing backs are expected to be a large source of attacking threat. In a 4231 the fullbacks tend to stay more defensive thus making us less vulnerable down the wings. On the most part the compressed 3 cbs does make us stronger through the middle. Neither is more defensive than the other really, they have different defensive strengths and weaknesses.

I'd say moving to a 4231 would be good as we were often beaten by long diagonals aimed at our left back position floating over vestergaards head, to which he was somewhat unfairly blamed regardless of him being exposed by lack of fullback or wingback and having to guard a lot of pitch.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

That's not usually the case in a modern 4-2-3-1 when in transition to attack.

Full backs bomb on to provide the width while one of the central midfielders drops back between the centre backs who then split wide. While that happens, the wider players in the 3 attacking midfielders drift inside to create overloads.

The average position heat map of a 4-2-3-1 when attacking looks a bit like a sort of a 3 at the back formation, with the defensive central midfielder in the middle of the back 3 while the other central midfielder and the central attacking midfielder move to create passing angles further up the pitch.

Similarly, the wider players of the 3 often drop back to defend in a sort of 4-4-1-1 shape, which can drop even deeper into a 4-5-1.

That's why we sometimes got hammered on the counter under Poch's 4-2-3-1 by having our fullbacks advanced and being vulnerable to long diagonals.