Saints v Bournemouth Build-up

SuperSAINT

Win and we are 1/4 of the way to 40 points already, after 6 games and having played Liverpool and Utd.

We need to sort out the fullback situation though, if Vokins is not deemed ready to cover Bertrand then why didn't we try to get another left back?

Win and we are 1/4 of the way to 40 points already, after 6 games and having played Liverpool and Utd.

We need to sort out the fullback situation though, if Vokins is not deemed ready to cover Bertrand then why didn't we try to get another left back?

Simple...we didn’t have the money to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because we are skint.

And will continue to be whilst under Gao

For managers like Wilder it’s understandable that results are all that counts. Winning within the rules of the game doesn’t matter when your excessively over-paid job depends on getting points by fair means or foul. Wilder has bleated to the press that the ball hitting JWP’s arm in a crowded penalty area should have given his team a clear shot from 12 yards out is ludicrous. But that’s not what the laws of the game provide. You don’t get a penalty for the ball simply hitting an arm and it would be madness if they did. Next time it happens to one of Wilder’s players, he’ll be the first to say it’s not a penalty. The pressure on managers to make excuses when their team loses is one of the sicknesses in the game, with money the route cause.

For managers like Wilder it’s understandable that results are all that counts. Winning within the rules of the game doesn’t matter when your excessively over-paid job depends on getting points by fair means or foul. Wilder has bleated to the press that the ball hitting JWP’s arm in a crowded penalty area should have given his team a clear shot from 12 yards out is ludicrous. But that’s not what the laws of the game provide. You don’t get a penalty for the ball simply hitting an arm and it would be madness if they did. Next time it happens to one of Wilder’s players, he’ll be the first to say it’s not a penalty. The pressure on managers to make excuses when their team loses is one of the sicknesses in the game, with money the route cause.

To be fair, Wilder commended the refereeing decisions on the disallowed goal and red card. One of few managers who is happy to do that.

Boufal has to play again, as does Djenepo. If Redmond is fit I would have:

Gunn

Valery Bednarek Danso Bertrand

Romeu Hoj

Djenepo Boufal Redmond

Adams

Dropping Vestergaard as Bournemouth have some real pace up top and I think Danso's pace will be more of an asset. For me our front 4 picks itself at the moment, but gotta feel a bit for JWP and Ings as neither has played that badly. Would have JWP on the right and Djenepo on the left if Redmond is injured still. I think Boufals best role is central.

Gunn

Romeu Hoj

Djenepo Boufal Redmond

Adams

Dropping Vestergaard as Bournemouth have some real pace up top and I think Danso's pace will be more of an asset. For me our front 4 picks itself at the moment, but gotta feel a bit for JWP and Ings as neither has played that badly. Would have JWP on the right and Djenepo on the left if Redmond is injured still. I think Boufals best role is central.

I don't think he'd play all three of Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo. JWP for one of them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't think he'd play all three of Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo. JWP for one of them.

Which one can be dropped though? Redmond is our best player, Boufal is in insane form, and dropping Djenepo after his last couple of performances would be incredibly harsh.

They're a good side are Bournemouth, but again...as with Sheff U, i think their style suits us. They don't sit back, they won't take a draw. They play an open game and that's never going to change.

I doubt we'll be able to keep them out of our goal, but we will certainly have chances of our own make no doubts about that. The 3-3 we had last year pretty much summed up the state of both!

Which one can be dropped though? Redmond is our best player, Boufal is in insane form, and dropping Djenepo after his last couple of performances would be incredibly harsh.
It's not a question of dropping one since we've never played all three together. I'll guess Redmond will be out for another game or two, then he'll have to earn his place back from one of the others, probably Djenepo.

Starting with two of these with the third to come on with fresh legs is a strong option.

Gunn

Romeu Hoj

Djenepo Boufal Redmond

Adams

United also had a lot of pace with Rashford, James and Pereira and Vestergaard was motm that game. So I hope we don’t drop Vest purely due to a short-term focus. He should play and build chemistry with a settled defence and I still have faith that he will be quality for us or at the very least competent (similar to Dunk or something- a good no nonsense regular CB (that we paid £18m for!)). I would not trust him in a back 4 though I guess.

I know it is Bournemouth at home and I too also want 4 at the back and an attacking line up, but I think we will play a 3 at the back.

Gunn

Bednarek Vestergaard Danso

Cedric Romeu PEH Bertrand

Djenepo Boufal

Adams

Although at the same time I feel this is harsh on JWP and Redmond- we can save them for Fratton or something!

It feels to good to find it tough to choose the team- a very welcome problem for Ralph.

Edited by nta786

Has to be Bertrand. Swap out Vestergaard for Danso at LCB and then we have what could be a fairly solid back three.

Well according to the EPL Fantasy Premier league game, Southampton currently have the best defender, or the one with most points anyway - Vestergaard.......

United also had a lot of pace with Rashford, James and Pereira and Vestergaard was motm that game. So I hope we don’t drop Vest purely due to a short-term focus. He should play and build chemistry with a settled defence and I still have faith that he will be quality for us or at the very least competent (similar to Dunk or something- a good no nonsense regular CB (that we paid £18m for!)). I would not trust him in a back 4 though I guess.

I know it is Bournemouth at home and I too also want 4 at the back and an attacking line up, but I think we will play a 3 at the back.

Gunn

Bednarek Vestergaard Danso

Cedric Romeu PEH Bertrand

Djenepo Boufal

Adams

Although at the same time I feel this is harsh on JWP and Redmond- we can save them for Fratton or something!

It feels to good to find it tough to choose the team- a very welcome problem for Ralph.

RH won’t drop JWP. HTH. x

But he should be...shouldn’t he? I know you are a JWP fan but surely you must concede he has been very average this season. Ralph has tried him at CM, RB and right side “wing back”, winger; and it’s the same old problem, he can’t fit in to any of those roles well enough. Adams, Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond are superior attacking players...PEH and Romeu are better midfielders and Cedric and Valery are better full backs. Even the corners and free kicks are not justifying his continued selection. I am interested to read your argument to the contrary.

Gunn

Valery

Danso

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Djenepo

Boufal

Redmond

Adams

If Redmond is still out, play JWP.

Some may be surprised to see Bednarek out, but discarding his exploits as a left back, at CENTRE back, he reads the game well. Alongside Danso, I think they could compliment each other well. Bednarek stands off a bit too much for my liking.

But he should be...shouldn’t he? I know you are a JWP fan but surely you must concede he has been very average this season. Ralph has tried him at CM, RB and right side “wing back”, winger; and it’s the same old problem, he can’t fit in to any of those roles well enough. Adams, Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond are superior attacking players...PEH and Romeu are better midfielders and Cedric and Valery are better full backs. Even the corners and free kicks are not justifying his continued selection. I am interested to read your argument to the contrary.

This makes a lot of sense

No he shouldn't. It's not a question of him having been tried in those positions. CM is his position but he is usefully versatile enough to fill in other positions - not as strong as first choices but when situations arise, he can do it.

And I don't think that playing three similar "flair" players works. We need someone linking defence and attack, having patience when needed. Boufal, Djenepo and Redmond are creative, adventurous players who will lose the ball. Whatever you think of JWP, he retains the ball, can pick a pass and gets into scoring positions. He's the cement that holds the other attacking players together.

If we play 4 at the back then yes, for sure I’d have JWP over one of our CBs.

Yes JWP hasn’t scored or set the game alight like he did last season around Jan time but he is still doing all the basics right, linking defence/attack AND most importantly perhaps (although admittedly I have not checked the numbers), ran the most and really covered each blade of grass.

That would be the explanation behind JWP, and as long as he is doing that then he will continue to start. Moreover, if we are really in search for a goal then he can easily be the one to sacrifice for our attacking flair players.

I agree above, I really do not think all 3 (Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond) would work together.

We had these similar discussions in 2013/14, where some fans recommended that Steven Davis be dropped to have Lallana/Jay Rod and Gaston Ramirez play together- usually we were rubbish when that happened. It might look good on paper but in reality it oft works.

Agreed. Great to have him there for free kicks and corners; but, beyond that, having him in the team is a luxury.

It seems if either side wins this game they’ll be 3rd on Friday night, mad really but it looks set to be a very tight division this season, I’d definitely take a point, Bournemouth are a good side with plenty of pace which we tend to struggle to defend against.

Lots of tickets still available, currently on open general sale seems an odd decision considering Bournemouth have already sold out for their big day out at “scummers away”

It seems if either side wins this game they’ll be 3rd on Friday night, mad really but it looks set to be a very tight division this season, I’d definitely take a point, Bournemouth are a good side with plenty of pace which we tend to struggle to defend against.

Lots of tickets still available, currently on open general sale seems an odd decision considering Bournemouth have already sold out for their big day out at “scummers away”

Take a point? They bottle it against us pretty much every time. Can’t cope with the big games

I fear for our defence - their attacking options are very good. I reckon the first to score will win, so early pressure on their goal will be vital. We must also match their high press relentlessly. Tough to call, but would be happy with a 2-2.
Why do you fear for our defence? Since the Burnley game we've only conceded 3 goals, all scored by Liverpool and Man U.

Edited by Shroppie

Why do you fear for our defence? Since the Burnley game we've only conceded 3 goals, all scored by Liverpool and Man U.

We rode our luck a bit on Saturday though. JV in particular looked more than shaky at times, and Bournemouth have much better attacking players than Sheff Utd do. I will be very surprised if we keep another clean sheet.

Slightly worried about this one. They always start the season well and have plenty of good options up front. Will definitely be goals in this one.

They’ve not won at St Marys yet and I am slightly worried this may be the time they manage it. Not sure we’ve played them here so early in the season before, which is when they’re usually clicking more.

Pleased with our start with two great away wins, a win here and we’d be flying! Will be tricky though, they’ve got good pace and movement up front and I still think we’ve been fairly patch despite a good points tally.

Gunn

Valery Bednerak Yoshi Danso Bertrand

Hoijberg Romeu

Boufal Djenepo

Adams

Possibly JWP for one of Boufal/Djenepo as tends to be the way. Also really want to see Bertrand back in now, this whole thing with him is a bit odd.

Also. We're the only team Liverpool have played to concede less than 3 against them so far.

A few weeks ago I had the sudden idea that RH could try Djenepo instead of Bertrand and posted it in the Forum. A Full Member replied "Are you on Klebstoff?" Impolite indeed, but I am only continental :-). RH put Djenepo as a defender last game one half ...

(but it definitely didn't work as we know)