Playing out from the back

sadoldgit

Arsenal gave another goal away trying to play out from the back. They clearly aren’t very good at it so why persist?

They aren’t the only team to look uncomfortable using this tactic. Why do it?

Most Premier League teams do it and lots get caught out, even the best mess it up (see City at Norwich)

The only club I can think of who don't are Burnley.

Most Premier League teams do it and lots get caught out, even the best mess it up (see City at Norwich)

The only club I can think of who don't are Burnley.

I can see why you might want to play the ball to a defender if he has plenty of room to bring the ball out of defence, but it is suicidal when teams play a high press. A know football has changed a lot since I used to play it, but you would get a right bollicking if you played the ball with a man on anywhere near your own goal. Some of the defending has been beyond comical.

As SOG says, when the oppo are pressing right up it's ridiculous to keep doing it. In that situation the benefit of it is that as those players are now so high, there is more space in midfield. The Arsenal goal as an example drove me nuts, as if Xhaka had moved forward he would have been in acres of space and Leno could have just clipped it over the top of the pressing attackers to him from the goalkick, allowing him to turn and push forward already behind the strikers and midfielders.